PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion about inclinometers?

bigwapitijohnny
04-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Do you rely upon these or not? What are your general feelings about these instruments. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

BWJ

drguitarum2005
04-24-2007, 10:02 AM
i think some people get them either for the cool factor, or just to know how far theyre actually leaning off road...but not really needing them, ya know? there are some who are in off-camber situations often enough where they need to know how they're leaning to get through an obstacle. if it were me, i'd just have it for the cool factor or just to know how far im leaning, knowing im not close to tipping over.

slosurfer
04-24-2007, 10:08 AM
I would like an original toyota one for the cool factor, and to know how far I am leaning. Mainly to brag about later.

Rtrac
04-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Im always too puckered up and concentrating on my spotter to remember to look at the damn thing.

Intrepidyota
04-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Im always too puckered up and concentrating on my spotter to remember to look at the damn thing.

Agreed. Someone had given me a non-toyota one a while back and I never looked at it, not even once.

slosurfer
04-24-2007, 01:43 PM
It would be a big bonus if I could get one with a working altimeter.

Chim
04-24-2007, 02:45 PM
I just installed one for the cool factor.. :smokin:

Mojo_Risin
04-24-2007, 03:31 PM
I have the lev-o-gsuge versions on the passenger side dash and door. It's a little bit of a novelty but there are times when I glance at them or have my wife tell me how far over we are. It reassuring to know you're only at 25 when it feels like 45.

John

Ringmaster
04-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Their ok they come in handy if you wanna know how much pitch/roll/ or altitude.

The one I installed really annoys my wife haha buzz factor I guess.

Lee
04-24-2007, 05:12 PM
i have a little cheapo one from xtreme to the left of my steering wheel and i have never actually used it. if i "needed" it, im usually puckered like rtrac :D

96 Runner
04-24-2007, 09:56 PM
I never look at mine either. I think passengers get more of a kick out of them than anything. I have the cheap-o ones from xtreme mounted to my dash by the vents and on the piller above the passenger seat belt.

Bob98SR5
04-24-2007, 11:02 PM
not really necessary

Ric
04-25-2007, 08:43 AM
I also think they are some what of a novelty,
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/Ric4rnr/Slaughterhouse%202-19/CopyofP2190048.jpg

I did take time to snap a pic once, but rarely look it it, this one is right above the center vents, also have one on the passenger door.

Cheese
04-25-2007, 12:34 PM
They are fun I guess.

It is not like they provide an absolute value so you can stop before you lay down. If you have time to wonder, you are all right. If you are really going to go, you will be over without realizing you should have checked the inclinometer.

Mike-in-WV
04-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Paid around $75.00 for mine a while back and I love it in these mountains. Next time someone tells you that they have been on a 40% tell them to prove it,Lol.
The Altitude comes in handy for me more than the pitch and roll but I have been glad I had it a few times.Fits my dash perfectly and I put a red back light in it to match my other lights.Mike

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Beartracker/My%2001%204x4%20Tacoma/Altimi1.jpg][/img]

Chim
04-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Paid around $75.00 for mine a while back and I love it in these mountains. Next time someone tells you that they have been on a 40% tell them to prove it,Lol.
The Altitude comes in handy for me more than the pitch and roll but I have been glad I had it a few times.Fits my dash perfectly and I put a red back light in it to match my other lights.Mike

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Beartracker/My%2001%204x4%20Tacoma/Altimi1.jpg][/img]

Is that a factory Nissan unit?

91ToyTrck
04-26-2007, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't mind having one. I might get one eventually, but as for right now they would cause more destraction for me. I should probably be consintrating on the trail, spotter, and not flipping over while 4wheeling.

Elvota
04-27-2007, 01:07 AM
I put one in... it was fun to begin with but now I rarely notice it. The alt works, but it's metric, so after I convert the numbers I'd be better off just guessing how high I am in the first place. :D

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/Elvota/Interior-1.jpg

It's fun (or unnerving) for the navigator to watch though.

Mojo_Risin
04-27-2007, 07:28 AM
Theorertically, wouldn't the lnclometer need to be at the center of the truck to be truely accurate?

john

Elvota
04-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Not sure if the position would effect accuracy.

I am by no means a math whiz, but in my head, I visualize a line at 0 degrees and a fulcrum point (center of vehicle). Now, if I angle this line to 20 degrees measured at the fulcrum... I don't see why it wouldn't be 20 degrees along the same straight line say 3 inches or 3 feet from the fulcrum.

So, in my head I think the answer would be no, position of inclinometer would not matter. Would just have to read zero or level when the vehicle is level and then measure from there.

But, in my head a lot of things make sense that don't quite work out in the real world. :confused:

Mojo_Risin
04-27-2007, 01:45 PM
I think you're right. I'm the same - stuff sort of makes sense in my head but then again not. If it was a piece of wood - and you put a small level on it - it would read the same degree tilt at eaither end of the wood. Makes sense to me now.

John

Texas Jim
06-04-2007, 11:38 PM
You can also buy the m at RV dealers, for a lot less than Extreme. TJ

Trumpfan
06-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Mine is there for the "cool look what I got" factor. Although the altimeter is surprisingly accurate, the roll meter is well...useless
I know now that my truck will not roll over when the meter is pegged.

blknblu
06-07-2007, 09:38 PM
I suppose it would help if the thing could tell you at what angle YOUR truck, based on YOUR mods, at YOUR current speed is going to roll. Especially if it could take into account that little extra bump of rock your about to hit along with the gear you've packed and how you've packed it.