PDA

View Full Version : Dan's Cross-Country Road Trip

DHC6twinotter
05-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Hey all,

I'm planning a cross-country trip, and I thought I'd fill you all in on my plans.

My schedule is very fluid, and this is a pretty rough outline.

June 8: Leave NC
June 8-12: Pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline drive through NC and VA. Hopefully find some other interesting places to see.
June 12-14: Stay with friends in DC and visit the Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum at the Dulles Airport
June 14-17: Attend the BrickWorld LEGO convention outside of Chicago.
June 18: Stop by the Illinois Railway Museum
June 18-July 1st: Make my way from the Railway Museum to Lincoln, Nebraska. Stop at an awesome Air and Space Museum out in the middle of nowhere between Omaha and Lincoln. They have some rare stuff there!
July 1st-July 7 or so: Lincoln, NE to Visit my 88 year old Grandmother. My parents and my sister with her family will be making trips out there at the same time.
July 7-20: Head northwest from Nebraska to the following areas:
-Mount Rushmore
-Badlands
-Grand Tetons
-Yellowstone
-Glacier NP
-Waterton Lakes International Peace Park (Canadian side of Glacier)
July 20-Aug 5: Head south from Montana to the following areas:
-Drive around northern UT and visit what I can there.
-Rocky Mountain National Park
-Drive around CO
-Maybe do the Alpine Loop in CO
-Moab
-Arches National Park
-Canyonlands National Park
Aug 5-9: Visit friends in El Paso, TX. Maybe drive to Big Bend.
August 10-30: Stay somewhere around Flagstaff or Sedona, AZ. Visit Grand Canyon sometime in there.
September 1st-?: Stay in Southern California. Visit Yosemite sometime and DV if not too hot.
September 21-24: Ultimate Yota Pismo Jamboree
October 5-7: BrickCon LEGO convention in Seattle, WA (unsure if I will make it)
October sometime: Fly to the Philippines to help my sister and her family move there. (unsure of this as well)

After October: I have no clue. If I have a job lined up, great! If not, then I may settle down somewhere out West (southern CA or, more likely, northern AZ) or maybe head back to NC and settle down in the Raleigh area.

My contract at work ended about 5 weeks ago, so this trip is primarily a job search trip. I graduated with a Geography degree (concentration in GIS) in '08, so I'd like to find something in my field of study, but I'm open to other things as well. I will be looking for work along the way, with more attention given to the northern AZ, southern CA, and CO areas. As such, my schedule is very fluid and the dates above won't be exact, and in some cases, way off. It's just a very rough outline. I may land a job in 3 weeks and not even be able to do the trip, or I may get to SD and find a job there. I have no clue. :hillbill:

I will be running solo, so I don't plan on hitting many trails unless I have somebody else to go with. The 4Runner is pretty much stock, although I will have 265/75/16 tires, CB, fuel cans on the roof, and some recovery equipment by then. I'd also like to have sliders and heavy duty front skid plate on by then as well. At this point, the most I feel comfortable doing is just some long dirt roads, fire roads, or maybe something like the Mojave Rd or the trail up to Shuteye Peak in Yosemite (for those of you familiar with these areas).

If anybody has any suggested trails, places to see, things to do, good places to eat, or jobs available; let me know!

I'll try to get a map up sometime in the next few days. :D

As things sit now, I have a lot to do before I leave, and I'm really not sure I'll get out in time. I may just drive straight to Chicago, or maybe even skip that and drive straight to Lincoln. That's all up in the air right now. I'd like to put a new clutch in the 4Runner, but Marlin doesn't have any in stock at the moment. :(

Thanks!
Daniel

Seanz0rz
05-21-2012, 09:00 PM
AWESOME DAN! Pool will be nice in September!

are you going to buy a spot?

paddlenbike
05-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Impressive. Be sure to visit while you're in CA!

DHC6twinotter
05-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Forgot to mention....I'm not sure what moab, arches, and canyonlands would be like in mid August. I suppose that is probably the hottest part of the year there, but I'm hoping the elevation is high enough that it doesn't get super hot. Anybody have any experience driving here during August?

AWESOME DAN! Pool will be nice in September!

are you going to buy a spot?

I'm seriously thinking about getting a spot. Sure would be nice since I'm going solo.

I'd like to get a gun and concealed carry permit, but doesn't look like I'm going to have time for all that. Might just have to settle for a can of bear spray and a tazer or something. :hillbill:

Impressive. Be sure to visit while you're in CA!

Will do! Not sure if I'll be in the Sacramento area, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

4x4mike
05-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Moab, Arches, Bryce gets hot about now. I've always gone around Easter and even then it gets toasty during the day. Not really an issue but it depends on what you're doing. If you're driving through it's probably no big deal. If you're mountain biking, hiking or wheeling it will be hot. I know some folks that live/lived there and they just did their outdoor activities in the morning.

As for a CCW look into the fine print. I think here they are only good for the county in which they were issued. From what I've heard if you travel out of the county but in the state you need a letter or something similar. Once you travel out of state it's all out the window.

Obi..
05-22-2012, 02:39 PM
September 29-30 Hang out w/ the Overton's and go fishing at Melone's Lake or grab a beer with them in South Lake Tahoe.

FIXED? :D

DHC6twinotter
05-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks guys. I'll have to do some research on the CCW thing. From what I understand, based on my limited understanding of the subject, an NC issued CCW is good in all of the states I'll be traveling through except for IL, CA, and OR. In IL, personal ownership of guns isn't allowed at all. CA doesn't honor a NC issued CCW, so I would have to travel with the gun unloaded in a locked compartment, with ammo stored elsewhere. Not sure about rules in OR, but I do know they don't honor an NC CCW.

I dunno...I could be completely wrong. I haven't done a whole lot of research on the matter.

If I do go ahead with plans for a gun, I'll probably get a Glock 23.

04 Rocko Taco
05-22-2012, 03:26 PM
check with http://www.usacarry.com/ for a lot of help with e carry issues, and good references.

Sounds like you have the basics, but I also uploaded a map of reciprocity for NC CCW's.

corax
05-22-2012, 07:38 PM
I have a couch in my RV that pulls out into a bed if you need a place to stay for a night (or longer)if you have any inkling to check out the Portland area on your way through.

July 20-Aug 5: Head south from Montana to the following areas:
-Drive around northern UT and visit what I can there.
Fantasy Canyon, a few hours east of Salt Lake City is worth checking out -> BLM site (http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/vernal/recreation_/fantasy_canyon.html) - Google Images (https://www.google.com/search?q=fantasy+canyon+utah&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=8Ee8T82XH4SViQKwi9icDg&biw=1280&bih=911&sei=xkm8T7fXEsisiAKlscDMDQ)

When you're in the Salt Lake City area, definitely check out the LDS Temple in the middle of the city - they won't let you in it unless you're Mormon, but the structure is impressive. Oh, Park City, also east of SLC, had a pretty cool mountain town vibe.

If you need ANYTHING while around SLC, check out the Deseret Industries Thrift stores (store locator (http://deseretindustries.lds.org/locations?lang=eng)) They are a great place to buy a suit (LDS'ers are snappy dressers), camping/outdoor equip, etc. for cheap. On my last trip I bought a pair of 3 year old skis with bindings and a bag for $25 - again just about ANYTHING

Mountain biking etc in Moab and at elevation can get sketchy if you're not already acclimated to it - expect your range to get drastically cut, take plenty of water and stop to catch your breath and take in the scenery.

I'd like to get a gun and concealed carry permit, but doesn't look like I'm going to have time for all that. Might just have to settle for a can of bear spray and a tazer or something. :hillbill:

Wasp spray has a greater range and shouldn't raise an authoritarian eyebrow (read more here (http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp)). Oh, and a flare gun - if you're on hard asphalt aim it at the ground in front of your target and it should shatter/ricochet a nice spread of burning phosphorous (so I've been told, either way it's still a .410ga sized projectile)

Obi..
05-22-2012, 10:26 PM
:D Note to self, be glad Keith's a friend, and don't go pissing him off.

WTH'd you learn those bits of trivia man? :laugh:

04 Rocko Taco
05-22-2012, 11:30 PM
:D Note to self, be glad Keith's a friend, and don't go pissing him off.

Burn Notice. :hillbill:

DHC6twinotter
05-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Moab, Arches, Bryce gets hot about now. I've always gone around Easter and even then it gets toasty during the day. Not really an issue but it depends on what you're doing. If you're driving through it's probably no big deal. If you're mountain biking, hiking or wheeling it will be hot. I know some folks that live/lived there and they just did their outdoor activities in the morning.

Cool...thanks for info. Do you have a trip report or any maps of where you went? I'd like to do some hiking (need to get in better shape and lose weight), but if it's too hot, I'll skip that.

check with http://www.usacarry.com/ for a lot of help with e carry issues, and good references.

Sounds like you have the basics, but I also uploaded a map of reciprocity for NC CCW's.

Thanks Chris! I didn't realize Maryland was on the list of states that don't honor NC's CCW, so I'll have to figure out what to do there too.

I have a couch in my RV that pulls out into a bed if you need a place to stay for a night (or longer)if you have any inkling to check out the Portland area on your way through.

Fantasy Canyon, a few hours east of Salt Lake City is worth checking out -> BLM site (http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/vernal/recreation_/fantasy_canyon.html) - Google Images (https://www.google.com/search?q=fantasy+canyon+utah&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=8Ee8T82XH4SViQKwi9icDg&biw=1280&bih=911&sei=xkm8T7fXEsisiAKlscDMDQ)

When you're in the Salt Lake City area, definitely check out the LDS Temple in the middle of the city - they won't let you in it unless you're Mormon, but the structure is impressive. Oh, Park City, also east of SLC, had a pretty cool mountain town vibe.

If you need ANYTHING while around SLC, check out the Deseret Industries Thrift stores (store locator (http://deseretindustries.lds.org/locations?lang=eng)) They are a great place to buy a suit (LDS'ers are snappy dressers), camping/outdoor equip, etc. for cheap. On my last trip I bought a pair of 3 year old skis with bindings and a bag for $25 - again just about ANYTHING

Mountain biking etc in Moab and at elevation can get sketchy if you're not already acclimated to it - expect your range to get drastically cut, take plenty of water and stop to catch your breath and take in the scenery.

Wasp spray has a greater range and shouldn't raise an authoritarian eyebrow (read more here (http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp)). Oh, and a flare gun - if you're on hard asphalt aim it at the ground in front of your target and it should shatter/ricochet a nice spread of burning phosphorous (so I've been told, either way it's still a .410ga sized projectile)

Thanks Keith! Good info there. That fantasy canyon looks awesome. Just the kind of travel tips I'm looking for!

corax
05-23-2012, 07:12 PM

I have the good fortune to be well-traveled and have met some interesting individuals along the way ;)

Burn Notice. :hillbill:

The series? Looks interesting, I may have to check that out

\threadjack

corax
05-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Cool...thanks for info. Do you have a trip report or any maps of where you went? I'd like to do some hiking (need to get in better shape and lose weight), but if it's too hot, I'll skip that.

Check this site out for GPS tracks, trip reports, topos, pics, etc of offroad trails in Utah and Colorado -> Trail Damage (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php) (click on "Trailhead Map" for the state you want to look at)
Don't let the name scare you off, all the trails are rated with some being simple dirt roads (keep an eye on weather in the desert, a big storm can cause flash flooding miles away).

Free hiking resource, some areas of the country have better info than others: http://www.localhikes.com/ . . . though the best trails can sometimes be found by talking to the locals in whatever outdoor equipment shop is near your destination.

I wrote a POI file based off Trail Damage maps that will work on Garmin for Moab and surrounding area trails, but can convert it for you if you have some other navi platform -> POI Factory / host site (http://www.poi-factory.com/node/31272)

Seanz0rz
05-23-2012, 08:08 PM
dirtopia.com also has some stuff. not an end all site, but can be useful. just another resource!

DHC6twinotter
05-25-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm going to get a later start than I was hoping, and looks like I'm going to have to scrap my plans for the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline drive. We'll see.

I may end up doing a quick trip up the outer banks instead. Then from there, swing up to see my little bro and his wife in Norfolk, VA. From there I'll head up to DC, and the rest of the trip as planned.

We'll see what happens.

04 Rocko Taco
05-25-2012, 10:27 AM
I still think its to bad you cant find your way across boring old Tennessee! It's been WAY to long since I've seen you.

DHC6twinotter
05-25-2012, 10:45 AM
I still think its to bad you cant find your way across boring old Tennessee! It's been WAY to long since I've seen you.

Yeah, way too long! I was hoping to get by your way, but I don't think I'll be able to make it. If I land a job out West, I may end up driving back to NC to pick up my stuff and haul a trailer back. I should be able to swing by then, unless shipping my crap ends up cheaper.....I figure that out when the time comes. :D

Sure would be great to see you all again!

Obi..
05-26-2012, 08:30 PM
:D Do Tail of the Dragon? :D

Robinhood4x4
05-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Sedona is an awesome place, but in Aug it can be pretty hot. Expect temperatures in the 90s, but if you go, you'll probably be treated to monsoon rains in the afternoons. It cools down nicely, may or may not rain in your particular location, and you'll have a nice lightning show.

Most hiking trails are right off the road and depending on what trails you choose to hike, expect to get a couple hikes in per day.

DHC6twinotter
05-27-2012, 09:07 PM
:D Do Tail of the Dragon? :D

That would be awesome, but It doesn't look like I'm going to be in that part of NC. Now that I look back, I kinda wish I could've done a bit more exploring around NC before I leave. I've been wanting to check out Portsmouth Island for a while, but doesn't look like I'm going to make it. Would be a great spot for an east coast jamboree.

Sedona is an awesome place, but in Aug it can be pretty hot. Expect temperatures in the 90s, but if you go, you'll probably be treated to monsoon rains in the afternoons. It cools down nicely, may or may not rain in your particular location, and you'll have a nice lightning show.

Most hiking trails are right off the road and depending on what trails you choose to hike, expect to get a couple hikes in per day.

I've heard about the great lighting storms out there, and that is something I'm looking forward to. Here in NC, we don't get too many crazy thunderstorms. Most of the big storms that roll across the plains end up being funneled up into the Ohio Valley by the Appalachians. I like a good thunderstorm as long as there aren't any tornados or hail. :hillbill: The humid summers we have here a miserable, so I'm looking forward to the dryer heat too.

I"m not in the greatest shape now, so I'd like to hit up some of those trails. I'd like to build up my stamina, and I need to lose 50 or 60 pounds. :D

04 Rocko Taco
05-28-2012, 04:47 PM
The Dragons tail is always a good time, not nearly as fun now though. Cops patrol it like CRAZY.

I've done it several times in a a few different Miata's, including turbo versions.

DHC6twinotter
06-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Well the cargo box is done! I'll post up some pictures, but right now the internet is down, and it's a pain to do anything online (I'm at Starbucks now).

Packing up all my stuff in the house is taking longer than I thought. I'm trying to get everything ready to go so when I do land a job somewhere, I can come back and throw everything in a trailer quick.

So, looks like I'm heading out a bit later than expected again. Packing is taking longer than I anticipated and I'm waiting on a foam mattress I ordered to show up. If I can leave tomorrow (Friday) I should still be able to hit the Outer Banks, maybe.

I didn't get the clutch replaced. Marlin screwed up my order, and I didn't get the clutch in time for my appointment at the shop. I know Marlin is supposed to have awesome service, but I'm less than thrilled with the service I've gotten. Kinda frustrated with them. Oh well.

I'll post up some pictures in the next few days.

04 Rocko Taco
06-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Did you actually GET the clutch Dan? I'm sure we (the UY community) can hook you up along the away. If I could meet up with you, we could get it changed out real quick. I'm sure the same goes for others here and along the route of your journey.

Seanz0rz
06-07-2012, 02:48 PM
what chris said. if you make it all the way out to Cali, we can change it here.

dan, you have my number, keep me updated via txt or phone call.

DHC6twinotter
06-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the offers! I do have the clutch with me.

I have a two week gap between the LEGO convention in Chicago and the time I'm supposed to be in Lincoln, NE to meet up with family. Right now, the plan is to spend that two weeks up in Oshkosh, WI and help setup for the AirVenture Airshow. It'll be a great way to network with folks, and, who knows, maybe I can bum a ride in a plane while I'm there. :D

Anyways, I think I'm going to try to find a tranny shop in either Oshkosh, WI or Lincoln, NE to swap out my clutch. If anybody can recommend any shops in these areas, it would be great!

Below is a picture of my platform. A carpenter friend of mine build the basic structure and the drawers, and I laid the carpet (indoor/outdoor carpet) and put the drawer faces on. I wanted something to dress up the front of the drawers, so I just used some book shelves that happen to be almost the exact dimensions I needed. The little humps you see are where the carpet covers the hinges for the side wings and the two cubby lids at the front of box. We'll see how much I end up regretting my decision to cover the hinges. :hillbill: The whole setup needs some tweaking, but I'm really happy with how it turned out.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/DH6twinotter/IMG_0505.jpg

Picture of the 4runner with the tires:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/DH6twinotter/IMG_0508.jpg

I'm still debating whether or not to remove the running boards. I definitely want to, but I also want to protect the bottom of the doors from rocks flung up the tires.

Still waiting on my foam mattress...

4x4mike
06-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Your truck looks good. I took my running boards off and went on a trip before I got my sliders. The rockers took a bit of a beating but it's not super noticeable. When I did get my sliders I welded in inserts in the openings to save the green paint.

DHC6twinotter
06-10-2012, 06:03 AM
And I'm off! Woohoo!

Mattress finally came in yesterday afternoon. I also had to replace my MAF sensor yesterday. I tried cleaning it, but that didn't solve any of my pinging issues. Seems to work fine now. Fuel trim was way off according to my mechanic friend.

I'll start a "trip in progress" thread once I have something interesting to post. The first 3 weeks or so of this trip probably won't be very exciting to most folks, but once I start heading into the Dakotas, things should start to get interesting. Outer Banks are out. No time....I'd rather spend the time with my brother and his wife.

I hope to create a blog too, so I'll probably work on that while I have 2 weeks of down time in WI. I have no clue how to do that sort of thing. :hillbill:

I have a job lead in North Dakota, so we'll see what happens with that.

DHC6twinotter
06-10-2012, 06:05 AM
Your truck looks good. I took my running boards off and went on a trip before I got my sliders. The rockers took a bit of a beating but it's not super noticeable. When I did get my sliders I welded in inserts in the openings to save the green paint.

Thanks Mike! My plan was to get some sliders with inserts, but none of the shops I sent messages to got back to me. I'll have to see what shops are on my route, and see if any of them can weld on some sliders.

Seanz0rz
06-10-2012, 01:47 PM
God speed and drive safe Dan!

the google/blogspot blogs are super simple to set up, and come from your google account, which is convenient.

hope to see you in a few months!

Bob98SR5
06-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Good luck Dan, be safe and watch out for the crazies.

paddlenbike
06-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Enjoy your trip Dan! The truck looks great with the BFGs.

04 Rocko Taco
06-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Good luck Dan, be safe and watch out for the crazies.

THIS. If you need anything I can do for you while on the road, give me a shout!

oly884
06-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Best of luck, looks like you're set for an amazing adventure! I'd love to travel around for that long and just see the country! Take a ton of photos to document as you'll definitely want to relive that trip some day!

04 Rocko Taco
06-19-2012, 01:16 AM
How goes it Dan? Waiting on updates!

Seanz0rz
06-21-2012, 01:53 PM
hope you are doing well, i gave you a call but it went straight to VM.

YotaFun
06-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Hop your trip is going well Dan, and is nothing but smooth driving :-)

DHC6twinotter
06-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Thanks guys! I'm in Oshkosh, WI right now.

I had a more detailed post written out, but lost it because my log in timed out. :confused:

I'll retype a more detailed post once I have some free time tonight.

troyboy162
06-22-2012, 04:40 PM
drive safe Dan-o and take lots of pictures!

corax
07-25-2012, 07:24 PM
I didn't want to clutter your trip report, and I also wanted to keep the ideas separate. So these popped into my head a little while ago and I thought you might like

When you're in OR & WA, you can get a lot of dirt time on the Backcountry Discovery Route. IIRC, you can drive from Canada to Cali with little to no asphalt and still be reasonably close to civilization to stock up on provisions.
OR Backcountry Dicovery Route: http://www.oohva.org/
WA Backcountry Discovery Route: http://www.wabdr.com/
another with a few states listed: http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/blog/

I'm not sure about WA, but statewide Oregon requires a $10 OHV permit (good for 2 years) before you hit the dirt.

I believe, if you don't already know about it, the http://ghosttowns.com/ site should find you some interesting places to visit.

Seanz0rz
07-25-2012, 07:42 PM
i attempted it, late june, we got stuck, had alot of fun.

dan, i have the maps somewhere, if i can find them ill send them to you if you'd like. the routes are pretty remote.

4x4mike
07-25-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure about WA, but statewide Oregon requires a $10 OHV permit (good for 2 years) before you hit the dirt.

I didn't know this about OR. We go for a couple week long trips every year and I spend a lot of time on the dirt passing through to more populated areas as out friends live in a rural part of the state. I've never been stopped nor seen anything indicating I needed an OHV pass for my vehicle.

corax
07-25-2012, 10:30 PM

I didn't know this about OR. We go for a couple week long trips every year and I spend a lot of time on the dirt passing through to more populated areas as out friends live in a rural part of the state. I've never been stopped nor seen anything indicating I needed an OHV pass for my vehicle.

4x4s would be class II
http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/ATV/Permits.shtml

4x4mike
07-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Good to know, thanks. I should send that link to our friend as we drive the tractor on a forest road or two.

DHC6twinotter
07-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the info guys. If I do make it up to Oregon, I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks.