PDA

View Full Version : tail pipe mod

20005spd
04-24-2007, 07:27 PM
i have already trimmed the mud flap part of my fender flares to gain that clearance in the rear. ive been thinking of cutting my tail pipe back about a 1-1.5 ft in order to gain clearance.i have already hit the exit a little and dont want to damage/bend farther upstream. ill probably make a new hanger to stabilize it since the old hanger will be cut off. but my question is has anyone done this mod and noticed a difference with exhaust fumes entering through the back window. any info would be great thanks.

ecchamberlin
04-24-2007, 08:58 PM
There are a lot of people who are positive that cutting off the tail pipe will result in in the cab fumes/gases. I am not sure but still am unwilling to take that chance with myself or my family. Long day, very tired carbon monoxide slowly puts you to sleep and then bang....lights out. Just not a gambling man.

THe theory is sound that it could cause a problem.

As for side exit pipe fumes coming in the rear window, I have never had a problem with it at all. Maybe if it was a rear exit pipe it could be an issue.

What I did with mine when I had a muffler installed was to have the new tailpipe exit really tight up to the bottom of the bumper and as close to the rear tire as I could. I used to crush it all the time but have not hit is since.

ecchamberlin
04-24-2007, 09:05 PM
This is the trimming that I did to my stock exhaust. To get it this high up I put the welded on pipe hook through the top of the rubber hanger thing flipped up side down. This was after the 1" body lift though.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/ecchamberlin/bumpertailpipe.jpg

Cannot see it really well in this pic but this is the custom pipe location. With it this high and close to the rear tire, if I hit it the bumper is toast also.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/ecchamberlin/merti2P1010266.jpg

Albuquerque Jim
04-24-2007, 11:10 PM
I ran my truck for a week without a tail pipe after a recent wheeling trip. During that time I did notice an increase in exhaust fumes in the cabin. I could not roll down the rear window without a significant exhaust smell.

IMO I think the tail pipe has to exit beyond the passenger area, on a 4Runner that's the stock location or beyond. On a pick-up you can get away with a down turn after the muffler since it's beyond the passenger area.

Lee
04-25-2007, 03:20 AM
i have mine cut back to just behind the rear axle which is a relief because mine was getting mashed.

i have only noticed smelled exhaust 1 time, windows all down and the wind just right

it has been beautiful here the last few days so ive been driving with the windows down (incl the rear one) and have been in traffic a bunch -- its been no big deal.

20005spd
04-25-2007, 03:23 AM
great thanks for the quick reply. im glad i didnt cut it the other day :D. maybe ill wait till i get the 1"bl to tuck it closer. my friend has a bender so maybe we could just bend a new peice that will really hug the rear tire. i love having the rear window down so any fumes coming in are out of the question.

i have mine cut back to just behind the rear axle which is a relief because mine was getting mashed.

i have only noticed smelled exhaust 1 time, windows all down and the wind just right

it has been beautiful here the last few days so ive been driving with the windows down (incl the rear one) and have been in traffic a bunch -- its been no big deal.

really? when did you cut yours. after seing yours pretty crimped is when i started to think of cutting it back.

Lee
04-25-2007, 03:34 AM
a few weeks ago :)

20005spd
04-25-2007, 03:35 AM
since my friend has a bender, maybe i should just cut it like i want it then see if i get fumes. if it smells i can always weld a new peice on in like 2 minutes and make it closer to the body

bamachem
04-25-2007, 04:43 AM
mine is cut off just behind the rear axle - and has been for over a year. i haven't noticed any exhaust fumes though.

AZ4ME
04-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Mine is also cut off right behind the rear axle and I have never had any issues with it. Rear window down and all.

ecchamberlin
04-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Mine is also cut off right behind the rear axle and I have never had any issues with it. Rear window down and all.

Sorry for the off topic but that avatar is so freaking awesome!

Back to your regularly scheduled program....

mkgarrison5
04-26-2007, 11:51 AM
dude you have some mad flex on that thing

SacRunner
04-26-2007, 07:36 PM
for those of you guys that have your tailpipe cut off somewhere under your 4Runner and don't have any issue with exhaust coming in through the back window, do you have a rear spoiler?

i only ask this because I just cut my tailpipe off just past the rear axle, similar to Ric's, and during the first few minutes of driving i get a bunch of exhaust smell in the cab, and I do not have the rear spoiler. I'm wondering if that little guy plays a big role in keeping exhaust out.

(yes i know this is the 96+ board and i have a 91)

ecchamberlin
04-26-2007, 08:42 PM
No that is a good point to make. If that spoiler is not there it will make a big diff. Good catch!

20005spd
04-27-2007, 03:33 AM
ya im pretty sure that spoiler is there to help keep away fumes with exhaust exiting in stock location. im going to cut mine see what happens :D

4x4Fink
04-29-2007, 10:40 PM
Anthony (ADH8796) and I just cut mine off above the axle. Before that I had it routed straight out the rear with a Magnaflow tailpipe. The fumes when it was coming straight out the back were pretty bad. Now with it cut off the fumes are gone.

It definitely sounds a lot different, quieter on the highway but more noisy when I'm driving in the city with all the windows down.

I think it looks a lot better this way though.

Fink

20005spd
04-30-2007, 03:58 AM
yesterday i went to my friends work to use his plasma. made quick work of that pipe :D. i cut about 1-1.5ft i havent got any fumes in and i drove with the back window down to make sure. i cut it so the pipe is pointing down behind the rear tire. i also thought i was going to havta make a new bracket since i cut the old one off but it dosent hit n e thing.

now the lowest thing in the back of my truck is trailer hitch. but that must stay for protection till i make a bumper

ADH8796
05-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Yep no fumes here and keeps everything clean and easy