PDA

View Full Version : Pin Stripe Removal Tips

YotaFun
08-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Just as the title say.
I am looking to remove the pin striping on the Camry.
I figured it would be easier to remove it (since some is starting to come off as is) then try to get the guys down at the body shop to match it when I get the hood, fender, and bumper painted

4x4mike
08-13-2012, 05:35 PM
3M makes a wheel I''ve seen online for this purpose but I have never used it. Might be worth looking into. I peeled mine off by hand and it scratched up the paint some. YMMV.

Obi..
08-13-2012, 05:57 PM
:ban: I thought the fender and hood didn't have any? Now.

Seriously though, 3m wheel FTW unless they're painted. Hit them with a heat gun for a bit before the wheel goes on to loosen them up a bit and goto town.

YotaFun
08-14-2012, 03:52 AM
The Fender and hood don't have any pin striping thats why I want to remove the rest :-P

I'll have to look into that, I peeled some away myself but it was leaving the adhesive which I really don't want to use the 3m adhesive remove on paint...

CJM
08-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Heat gun and your fingernail. Then take some mineral spirits (wont harm the paint) and rub the adhesive off, could try goof off too. Then just wash it off and maybe wax if you want.

DHC6twinotter
08-14-2012, 03:35 PM
My 2nd gen had the huge factory stripe on it. I used a rubber eraser wheel that I got from my local automotive paint supplier. I don't remember who made it, but it might be the 3M one Mike mentioned. I put it on the end of a drill, and it worked pretty good. You just have to be careful not to leave it on one spot for too long, and it doesn't work very good on plastic parts.

I'm so glad my 3rd gen has no pin stripes. :hillbill: