PDA

View Full Version : Death Valley Panamint Tour 20121110-11 (Nov 10-11)

troyboy162
08-16-2012, 02:11 AM
Overview
Still in the planning phases of this one, but I need to get out and see the Skidoo mill before its gone. There are tons of things I want to see out there but I dont see myself being able to take a week off to see them all. This is a two day trip (with a potential friday run) to hit a few of the highlights. Trip would start at Ballarat ghost town early saturday morning aka I will be traveling to DV friday night.

The trip has been adjusted since DVNP has decided you need to be saved from yourselves at the expense of erasing history. More Gates are put up in DVNP then back filling the mines, but we will be avoiding the park areas on purpose. Make no mistake we are going to Death Valley though lol.

Advisory
We will be traveling through the home territory of the Panamint Desert Bear aka "Hanaupah". This Bear is said to migrate to higher ground during the summer months and feed mostly on WW2 jeep parts and BFG tires :) We will also visit a known home of Tommy Knockers. haha Death Valley has as much fictional history as real.

http://deathvalleyjim.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/IMG_6727.jpg
http://i.pbase.com/g4/56/466856/2/142394000.EUHFb8nn.jpg
http://www.panamintcharlie.net/tripreports/panamints022204/6-800.jpg
http://www.ghosttownexplorers.org/images/california/lotus/07.jpg
http://www.ghosttownexplorers.org/images/california/lotus/01.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z256/ZappBranigan/DVNP%202011/2011_0328_120133AA.jpg

The worst part:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_HyKXZv5NViY/Sw7l-LvbSRI/AAAAAAAAewU/Fe4h4NszjeA/DSC08716.JPG
communications:
CB channel: 14
FRMS/GRMS channel: 15 (bring two radios to share with a CB equiped rig)
2M HAM: 146.430MHZ (UY simplex primary)
70CM HAM: as needed
146.760 PL 100
146.970 PL 123
147.060 PL 100
442.300 PL 131.8
Mount Potosi 146.880 - 100.0
Table Mtn 145.280 - 131.8
Table Mtn 447.200 - 94.8
145.3400 ? pl 100 this covers most of panamint and high locations in the Inyos.
mazourka 146.7600 ? pl 100 covers almost all of saline and the inyos.

Itinerary Subject to large changes
Saturday
-7am departure from Ballarat. Exact meeting spot TBD
-look around ballarat prior to 7am (not too much to see)
-head straight for mengel pass (this is the hard way for great justice)
-mine with some potential for underground time.
-Manson camp where Charles Manson was finally caught by the police. Its burned down but we will check it out. No bodies were ever found there
-Coyote Canyon
-mine with some potential for underground time.
-camp somewhere TBD

Sunday
-8am departure
-jail canyon
-skidoo mill
-telescope peak time permitting

Potential Friday run( trying to fit this in around PVD's schedule)
-Defence mine for time underground (taking direct route and not the obstacles)This mine will include ladders and more dangers then any other we will be in. Read below info on mine safety.
-Mininnete cabin

Travel times:
San Bernadino to Ballarat- 3.5 hours
Palmdale to Ballarat- 3 hours
Las Vegas to Ballarat- 4 hours

Requirements:
-Working reliable Truck. Recovery's out there can cost 1k in towing fee's easily.
-4x4 (The trip should me on easy roads but I have not personally seen any of them nor the side roads we will inevitably take)
-AT or MT tires for rock protection.
-Spare tire within 3" of other tires
-Tools
-1 recovery point
-tow strap without hooks
-Clothing/food/water for two days in DV. (remember the nights could be cold)
-first aid kit.

Fuel requirements:

We will not be traveling past any other fuel points then Trona (see below). The availability of gas at the closer locations in DV is not 100% reliable and they charge 1-2 dollars more per gallon then normal.
Minimum fuel requirments ~260 miles from gas station to gas station. figure in offroad milage too. EX I get about 10-12 mpg offroad.

Trona on the way in and out of death valley Update: TRONA MAY HAVE CLOSED ITS GAS STATION
Furnace Creek(emergency. not on route)
Panamint Springs (emergency. not on route)
Stove pipe wells(emergency. not on route)

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/troyboy162/4991024-ArgusTrona_Gas_Station_Death_Valley_National_Park. jpg

[b]Camping requirements
primitive camping.
Friday night: 36 Deg 4'5.02"N, 117 Deg 10'33.94"W http://goo.gl/maps/P5fbf Alternate meeting spot if that 7am saturday morning http://goo.gl/maps/qfDb7
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5346076.pdf

MINE EXPLORING IS AT YOUR OWN RISK
Please read this page for answers to FAQ
http://www.undergroundexplorers.com/safety.htm
Please watch this video to become familiar with hazards
http://youtu.be/85FkHbUGuGk

The most important thing to bring with you is your head. Mine dangers are all about calculating the risks involved. For instance, you might encounter a vertical shaft and be curious how deep it is and thats fine. What you can do is stand back at a safe distance and throw a rock down to listen for it to land...or you can crawl on your belly and peer your head over with a flashlight to see if you can see the bottom....or you can step to the crumbly edge and look down. One of those scenarios is a safe approach, one is a smart approach, and the other is a unsafe approach. People get hurt when they dont use there head. I think I've read there was 5 deathes in the last 10 years due to mine exploring. everyone of them was doing something stupid.

For gear I would bring 2-3 flashlights per person. The theory here is if you hit your head you will wake up to a dead flashlight. Bring tons of battery's and expect to be underground for up to 6 hours if you intend to see all of the mines in there entirety. Bring a small backpack to hold water/snack and battery's. Wear clothes that you wouldn't mind sliding into home plate with because they will get extremely dirty. A hard hat isn't a bad idea. I've hit my head a few times already even being careful. Wear hiking boots or shoes that provide traction and protection. Rope also isnt a bad idea for emergency's and gloves for climbing have come in handy

I wear pants, tshirt, backpack(gloves, batterys,water), helmet and army boots.
http://www.undergroundexplorers.com/troy1-small.jpg

Weather info and conditions:
http://www.nps.gov/deva/upload/Morning-Report.pdf
http://www.death.valley.national-park.com/weather.htm
November brings more managable heat but also large swings to night lows. Be sure to bring a range of clothing. Underground temperatures are pretty stable so thats one bonus of this hobby. You can expect 60-70 underground.

Seanz0rz
08-16-2012, 10:29 AM
hrm, i might be interested.... and i have the 12th of nov. off from school.

trailer friendly?

nevermind, im fawkin broke! next time for sure!

troyboy162
08-16-2012, 09:17 PM
It would be off-road trailer freindly. keep it in mind sean!

Crinale
08-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Damn those mines sound like a LOT of fun.. i wish i wasn't so broke right now :( but I'm broke from building my truck, so I'll be able to do more stuff like this once I get caught back up.

troyboy162
08-17-2012, 08:06 PM
I dont think its going to be much underground time. The more I research the more fences and bat gates I'm seeing in death valley. The open ones are the ones that are not abandoned.

troyboy162
08-18-2012, 06:38 AM
FYI the trip is starting to look more like a wheeling trip. Death valley does not seem to have any large open mines and the ones I had researched seem well picked over by the park to close them.

Jaydee914
08-22-2012, 03:07 AM
Sounds fun. I know you mentioned dirt roads, Troy, but how serious will the wheeling be?
At the moment, I'm in. I had a great time in the Mojave and I'm itching for another trip like that one!

troyboy162
08-22-2012, 04:16 AM
It varies alot so I'm not sure. stock rental vehicals go through the passes all the time, but a good rain can expose the rocks and make a locker come in handy from what I'm reading. Overall I see things a lot like what we had on our Cleghorn run and at a max the terrain is looking like our Jacoby canyon run.

Mine exploring out there looks like a waste of time. The further I research spots the more I find photos of locked gates or uninteresting underground workings. The good news is that would free up time to see the neat things out there like titus canyon and cloride cliffs.

Also "panamint valley days" is going on the same weekend. I am looking for info on where they go and group sizes. I wouldn't mind tagging along if they are going to the same places, but I dont want to be in a 30 truck elephant line moving slow.

Seanz0rz
08-22-2012, 09:57 AM
unless I find a briefcase FULL of $100 bills, I'm out.

on a less related note, I will be planning for a new Mojave road trip. after that we will decide on a date to run it, either this december or early next year. I would also like to do a DV trip in the spring with my parents, so they can see the wild flowers, etc.

Crinale
08-24-2012, 05:21 PM
unless I find a briefcase FULL of $100 bills, I'm out.

on a less related note, I will be planning for a new Mojave road trip. after that we will decide on a date to run it, either this december or early next year. I would also like to do a DV trip in the spring with my parents, so they can see the wild flowers, etc.

Yea I think I'm with you there Sean..

kafene
08-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Sounds fun. I know you mentioned dirt roads, Troy, but how serious will the wheeling be?
At the moment, I'm in. I had a great time in the Mojave and I'm itching for another trip like that one!

I hear ya on that one. I've been itching for a similar trip, too. You going to Pimso this year? Troy, sorry to hear you're not gonna make it?

kafene.

Jaydee914
08-29-2012, 10:22 PM
No, I'm not going to make it to Pismo - too busy, unfortunately. It sounds fun though. And I'd rather save the weekend away for a wheeling weekend in DV!

kafene
08-30-2012, 09:52 PM
I've marked my calendar just in case I can make it. It's too far out for me to know at this point, but I've never been to DV and look forward to going.

kafene.

troyboy162
09-05-2012, 02:26 AM
talking to a friend about some leads on the south western corner of the panaimints to stay outside of the park boundary... I'll try to keep updating it as things get closer

Jaydee914
09-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks for planning this one, Troy!

troyboy162
09-06-2012, 06:29 AM
no problem! lots of neat stuff out there. I think 2 days can make a good dent in the history of the area. It would take a week to take in the beauty.

troyboy162
09-11-2012, 11:44 PM
updated and cleaned up first post

Jaydee914
09-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Stoked.

kafene
09-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Looks great!

Jaydee914
09-26-2012, 10:36 AM
I'm working on getting that Friday afternoon off so I'm not too late to the campsite that first night.

troyboy162
09-26-2012, 09:08 PM
sweet! I cant wait to get out there

Jaydee914
09-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Yeah, me neither. I really need another weekend of wandering around in the desert!

DHC6twinotter
09-26-2012, 10:46 PM
hmm...this falls right between some other trips I have planned, and I'll have to think about coming. We'll see. I'll probably have some jet-lag, but might be able to swing it.

Jaydee914
10-18-2012, 05:29 PM
3 weeks from tomorrow.
Obviously, I'm pretty psyched.

troyboy162
10-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Cant wait to get on the trail for a bit. Dan are you still thinking you might be able to make it?

kafene
10-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Man I wanna go so bad. I'm still gonna say I'm in at this point. Hope I don't feel too crappy around that time. Can't wait!

Jaydee914
10-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Man I wanna go so bad. I'm still gonna say I'm in at this point. Hope I don't feel too crappy around that time. Can't wait!

Bringing the family?

RobG
10-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Troy,

I did a Death Valley trip just over a week ago. It was hot on the valley floor, we camped at 7000' and it as perfect.

The gas station in Trona in your picture is gone. There is a new pilot station east of the old Chevron, it was closed when we drove through but looked like minor repairs going on and looked like it should be open soon. You might want to call if anyone is counting on gas in Trona.

The roads were extremely washed out. We did Saline Valley road North to South and couldn't complete it because my friend was in a Syncro and didn't have the ground clearance for the final 2 mile climb out. Had to backtrack over Lippencot road which was also extremely washed out. Saline Valley road was actually closed but easy to get around the sign. Not sure how the south got hit but roads could be worse than expected, shouldn't be a problem for a stock truck with 4WD and some armor but 2WD may need some help.

Just a heads up.

Have a great time.

Rob

kafene
10-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Bringing the family?

Yeah... planning on it. I'm getting better at packing a little bit lighter. 8) Good thing, because I have less space on the roof rack because the spare takes half of it. :)

Bob98SR5
10-19-2012, 12:56 PM
jaydee,

any room for more people to go? I'm interested. now that i see my bud kafene going, that will make it easier. still need to do some repairs on my truck, but i think i can do it by then.

kafene: can your bro go?

bob

kafene
10-19-2012, 01:10 PM
jaydee,

any room for more people to go? I'm interested. now that i see my bud kafene going, that will make it easier. still need to do some repairs on my truck, but i think i can do it by then.

kafene: can your bro go?

bob

Go Bob, Go!!! I THINK I asked him before, but not sure. I'll ask him again? :)

DHC6twinotter
10-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Cant wait to get on the trail for a bit. Dan are you still thinking you might be able to make it?

Not sure Troy. I'd like to, and the dates fall between my trip to the Philippines and my flight back home for Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure my 4Runner is up for it. I have zero armor...not even my stock skid plate....so not sure.

Seanz0rz
10-20-2012, 08:47 PM
dan, i have to run to the junkyard for some parts next week. if i find a skid plate for cheap i'll grab it for you!

Crinale
10-22-2012, 10:18 AM
I so wish I could afford to swing this :( my truck is down for suspension mods now, which means it will be built by the end of this week...

troyboy162
10-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Troy,

I did a Death Valley trip just over a week ago. It was hot on the valley floor, we camped at 7000' and it as perfect.

The gas station in Trona in your picture is gone. There is a new pilot station east of the old Chevron, it was closed when we drove through but looked like minor repairs going on and looked like it should be open soon. You might want to call if anyone is counting on gas in Trona.

The roads were extremely washed out. We did Saline Valley road North to South and couldn't complete it because my friend was in a Syncro and didn't have the ground clearance for the final 2 mile climb out. Had to backtrack over Lippencot road which was also extremely washed out. Saline Valley road was actually closed but easy to get around the sign. Not sure how the south got hit but roads could be worse than expected, shouldn't be a problem for a stock truck with 4WD and some armor but 2WD may need some help.

Just a heads up.

Have a great time.

Rob

Thanks for the report. Thats a bummer that Trona cant be a given for fuel, but I soppose it makes it a little more fun to carry all the fuel needed.

I cant remeber who was looking to go but theres plenty of room on this run. Fuel requirments will remain the same but destinations are probably going to change a bit.

kafene
10-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Bob,

Dave just got the weekend off! He's gonna be able to go.

Mark.

Jaydee914
10-27-2012, 04:29 PM
So what's the determination on fuel? Bring some along? Will 5 gallons be enough, or bring 10 to be safe?

troyboy162
10-27-2012, 05:59 PM
I think the original post still stands, but It might end up less. I will try to figure out actual miles and a finale itinerary this week.

Jaydee914
10-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Ok. Not a big deal. I'll probably bring a can just in case either way. I could have done the Mohave trip on a single tank, but it's better to be safe than stuck.

troyboy162
10-27-2012, 07:50 PM
At this point I dont think Trona has gas, but I need to look into it. If it dosnt then that will mean ridgecrest is the last fuel up and will add 30ish miles to the projected trip. I can carry a gass can for you if you would like.

RobG
10-28-2012, 10:43 PM
At this point I dont think Trona has gas, but I need to look into it. If it dosnt then that will mean ridgecrest is the last fuel up and will add 30ish miles to the projected trip. I can carry a gass can for you if you would like.

I think this is a link to the one gas station left in Trona
http://www.californiagasprices.com/Valero_Gas_Stations/Trona/36517/index.aspx

It used to be Stop brand and then Pilot so I think it might have been closed when we passed it because it was switching to Valero. Just a guess.

Valero
82710 Trona Rd Trona, CA 93562-1927
Phone: 760-372-4761

Good Luck,

Rob

Bob98SR5
10-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Jaydee,

Not sure if you saw my post, but I believe you are the trip organizer. Ok for me to join the trip?

Bob

kafene
10-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Jaydee,

Not sure if you saw my post, but I believe you are the trip organizer. Ok for me to join the trip?

Bob

I think it's Troy who's put the trip together.

Mark.

troyboy162
10-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Jaydee,

Bob

Bob anyones welcome to come so long as they can meet the requirements

Jaydee914
10-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Jaydee,

Bob

Yes, but you have to bring the beer.

Oh, I mean what Troy said...

DHC6twinotter
10-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Troy, I'm not going to make it. Time in the Philippines was too short, so I just extended my trip here. I'll be going straight from Philippines back to NC for Thanksgiving. I'm Bummed that I'll miss you again, but I'll be back to SoCal in December.

Seanz0rz
10-29-2012, 09:16 PM
good, you'll get to go with us on the Mojave Road!

troyboy162
10-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Solid dates on the majove road yet?

Dan I know you will be back to Cali more now that you have your runner!

Seanz0rz
10-30-2012, 09:29 AM
no solid dates yet, lexi is starting a new job soon so we will have to see how that works out. hopefully she can nab a friday or monday off in there somewhere. i still think it will be december 15 ish.

troyboy162
11-01-2012, 10:23 PM
I'm slacking on the updates but again Milage should be close to the 1st post and its still unknown on trona fuel. UE says they have seen one open last month though so ill call and get confirmation soon. Also there may be a couple other UE members going so don't forget your flashlights :)

Jaydee914
11-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Troy, I'm so psyched for this trip! Do you have an exact location for a camping/meetup location Friday night yet?

Jaydee914
11-03-2012, 06:14 PM
I knocked out a couple of projects in preparation for next weekend. ARB skid plates and (ghetto) hard-mounted my inflator.

Seanz0rz
11-03-2012, 07:07 PM
UGH I'm so mad I'm missing this trip! Have lots of fun guys, and get LOTS of pictures!!!

troyboy162
11-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Looking good JD. Still no solid spot to camp Friday night. Ill try to scan Google earth this week for a clearing

troyboy162
11-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Also I am currently troubleshooting my truck. It has decided to have an issue with warm starting yesterday. Starts strong cold and runs fine for hours on end, but to turn it off and let it sit for ten minutes means I have to wait 30 minutes before it will start. 30 minutes later it starts strong with no issue. All the while there are no codes.

I have been working on it all day today and have made some progress, but I need to have faith in it before a DV trip. If I cant make it I hope you guys go anyways and I can provide the courds.

kafene
11-04-2012, 04:46 PM
That sucks... I had an old Sentra that did the exact same thing. Never figured it out before getting rid of it. I used to just leave it on if I had to make a quick errand because I new it wouldn't start back up if I turned it off. Had to do the same thing... wait to cool it off w/ the hood open until it would start right up again.

troyboy162
11-04-2012, 06:20 PM
everything I'm reading says people can live with the problem for a long time, but if I cant figure it out by thrusday then I'll have to cancel. I'm going to replace the fuel pump tomorrow since it will start if I pray some maf cleaner into the intake (past the MAF and IAT). The fuel pump is a suspect unit from the gunk yard and suffered though my vapor lock issues.

kafene
11-04-2012, 07:25 PM
it will start if I pray

That's a good idea. I find that always seems to help. Never hurts.

troyboy162
11-04-2012, 07:33 PM
haha I'm really tired from messing with it all day. Good news is its easily repeatable. bring engine to operating temp, shut off, let sit for 10-15 minutes and whammo cranks but wont start. starting a separate thread for forum knowledge sake.

Jaydee914
11-05-2012, 10:02 AM
OK, good luck Troy! I'd hate to have this trip canceled!

troyboy162
11-06-2012, 10:44 PM
looking pretty much a go at this point. I replaced the pump it has passed my test twice for warm starts where it had previously been a 100% failure rate. I'll drive it to work tomorrow and call it good.

Jaydee914
11-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Fantastic news!

Bob98SR5
11-07-2012, 09:16 AM
i am 50/50 at this point guys

troyboy162
11-07-2012, 10:43 AM
first post updated with courds for friday night camp spot.

Jaydee914
11-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Cool, see you all there!

troyboy162
11-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Sorry to keep adding on details at the last minute, but I added a backup meeting spot incase we all get there and find the camp site is not accesable. This will work right into the plans anyhow, but a 7am saturday meeting spot of here on the main road:
http://goo.gl/maps/qfDb7

Really looking forward to this one and it should be fun. I called Trona Valero and they are open for gas. Thanks again Rob
Valero
82710 Trona Rd Trona, CA 93562-1927
Phone: 760-372-4761

Seanz0rz
11-07-2012, 03:42 PM
FWIW,

http://gasprices.mapquest.com/searchresults.jsp?search=true&latitude=&longitude=&gasPriceType=3%2C4%2C5&address=&city=trona&stateProvince=ca&postalCode=&radius=0&brand=&sortOrder=2

4.09 per gallon. How true that price is, I don't know, or when it was updated for that matter. Even the highest listed there was only 30 cents more. not too bad.

Crinale
11-07-2012, 04:27 PM
4.09 per gallon. How true that price is, I don't know, or when it was updated for that matter. Even the highest listed there was only 30 cents more. not too bad.

Not bad at all for the middle of nowhere

OpenTrackRacer
11-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Okay... now that Troy has fixed his ride (yet again), we'll be joining this little outing for at least part of the weekend. I hope you guys can stomach having a Jeep among you. At least there will be something reliable along to pull Troy back to civilization when he inevitably breaks down again.

We're looking forward to meeting everyone and exploring Panamint Valley. We have some very cool places mapped out.

Mike

Seanz0rz
11-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Mike, no worries about being a Jeep, we need something for the bears to eat!

Jaydee914
11-07-2012, 04:57 PM

Sean, does this mean you're coming now?

How many rigs do we have now? 6?

Crinale
11-07-2012, 05:05 PM
:lol: :rofl: :lol:

troyboy162
11-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Mike likes to hike to the mines so he bought a rubicon. haha teasing. He's got 35" duratracs on that beast. Its a sick rig

Seanz0rz
11-07-2012, 05:41 PM
JD, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OpenTrackRacer
11-07-2012, 07:30 PM
I actually heard the bears in Panamint like sushi, not Ohio raised red meat.

:tongueout:

Mike

Jaydee914
11-07-2012, 07:58 PM
JD, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice Sean! It'll be good to see you again.

This is going to be a great trip. The truck is pretty much prepped and all I have to do is finish packing. I can't wait for Friday morning!

troyboy162
11-07-2012, 09:04 PM
not sure how many vehicals at this point. we are somewhere between 4-6. don't forget your flashlights! For anyone fortunate enough to have friday off we are heading out around 4pm from the high desert with a possible bonus stop along the way.

kafene
11-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Troy,

I'm not planning on being there until Sat morning. I'll communicate via CB and HAM. Regarding your locations for camping spots, it takes me to "A to B". Which is it? A or B? Stop screwing around, Troy... make it clear! Hahahaha... Am I totally missing something? 80

Sean, good to hear you're coming! I may be solo on this one. Wife can't make it because she's got something going on Sunday and my kids have school stuff they need to study for.

troyboy162
11-07-2012, 10:15 PM
B is where the proposed Friday night camping is. What time do you think you will make it? Ham might not make it up into mengal pass.

kafene
11-07-2012, 10:19 PM
B is where the proposed Friday night camping is. What time do you think you will make it? Ham might not make it up into mengal pass.

So if I'm coming Saturday morning, A is what I should be looking at?

I'm planning on leaving 4am, so should be there 7 to 7:30am. That means I need to be up by 3:55am at the latest. Puahahaha I'm figuring we should be close enough where CB or HAM would be okay. I may leave earlier. Brother's thinking of leaving at 3am, but damn... :shake:

I was planning on taking my truck, but my brother wants to take his Land Cruiser. Bob may not be coming after all. Trouble with his truck.

troyboy162
11-07-2012, 10:32 PM
? is just Trona. I figure everyone will be going that way. B is where we will be camped hopefully. Don't forget the morning meet up spot also listed in case the camping plans get messed up. Yeah 30 minutes late should be fine forham. Ill keep UY primary frequently and CB 14 on

kafene
11-07-2012, 10:38 PM
? is just Trona. I figure everyone will be going that way. B is where we will be camped hopefully. Don't forget the morning meet up spot also listed in case the camping plans get messed up. Yeah 30 minutes late should be fine forham. Ill keep UY primary frequently and CB 14 on

Cool. That should work. So I'll be heading out to the "B" coordinates.

Jaydee914
11-08-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm having serious problems concentrating at work today. I can't wait to get out there!

kafene
11-08-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm having serious problems concentrating at work today. I can't wait to get out there!

Hahaha.. at least you get to go a day ahead! I have to wake up in the middle of the night to get there Sat morning.

Seanz0rz
11-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Tell me about it. Solidworks is frustrating me today more than usual, Parts aren't fitting correctly, and I need to get the robot arm done so I can send it off to the other members of my group so they can do their parts. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH. plus i had to wake up early today, and that was no bueno!

troyboy162
11-08-2012, 11:06 AM
I agree work is pointless today haha. I keep walking past my truck thats all packed and ready and its killing me

Crinale
11-08-2012, 11:11 AM

Hahaha.. at least you get to go a day ahead! I have to wake up in the middle of the night to get there Sat morning.

At least you get to go at all!

troyboy162
11-08-2012, 11:13 AM
You have a ducati...learn to budget your self :P

kafene
11-08-2012, 11:21 AM

Doh!!!! Hahahaha...

Jaydee914
11-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Troy, all personal budgets must be balanced AROUND motorcycles.

Jaydee914
11-08-2012, 03:19 PM
What time do people plan to arrive tomorrow? Troy, you mentioned leaving around 4... leaving from Victorville area, or from the campsite for a trail run?

Crinale
11-08-2012, 04:08 PM

Troy - My Ducati, other than purchase price and fuel, has cost me a total of $100 in the last year... That is less than the cost of gas to just get to your house and back in my truck. lol

troyboy162
11-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Dang that is so true... just spent 90 on gas in trona

Seanz0rz
11-08-2012, 07:59 PM
how much was gas in trona?

troyboy162
11-08-2012, 08:38 PM
409 I think

Seanz0rz
11-10-2012, 01:25 PM
so, I had fun...

Got up there, looked for the camp spot but didn't find anyone. decided to turn around and camp lower down the canyon, so I could meet up with everyone at 7am. About 50 feet after turning around (in the pitch black on a BAD road, actually I'm not even sure that was a road...) I start getting a bad stumble and a check engine light. random misfire. turn off the engine, take a look around and see nothing out of place, push on all the spark wires to make sure they are seated, etc. start up again and after every big bump i get a misfire. did the the whole 2 miles out of the canyon and the other couple of miles on the washboard road. pulled over probably 40 times to reset the codes, and looked at the engine a few times, nothing visually wrong. decided there that i would return home. drove a few dozen miles back through trona and on until i had cell reception to let who i could know.

on the highway, i have significantly less power and some serious hesitation. i also suspect my cat was glowing at one point, but i didnt see it with my own eyes (just a strange glow on the passenger side under the truck for a few minutes after the canyon bit. Made it home fine and as long as it kept it at 62 (actual) i had no problems. the longer hills saw some misfires, and any serious rough spots triggered the cel as well. i just reset it each time with my phone and bluetooth OBD2 dongle so i could see when it happened again.

sad i missed it, but glad it happened when it happened and it didnt turn into a "lets drag Sean's dead 4runner all across DV!"

kafene
11-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Just glad you made it! I was packed & ready to go. Didn't feel well, but figured I'd make a go anyways. Brother saw the look in my face & convinced me to turn around. Had chemo last Wed & have not been able to shake the sickness & nausea. Right before we turned around, it started to rain. It's almost 5:30 pm & I'm STILL in bed. Hope Troy & Jaydee are enjoying it, the day looked beautiful outside.

4x4mike
11-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Man, good to hear you guys played it safe and are/made it home. There will always be other trips, better safe than sorry.

kafene
11-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Thnx, Mike. Sunday morning now & I'm just barely getting out of bed. Had a hell of a night tossing & turning. Was aching everywhere. Just weighed myself & I've lost almost 8 lbs since Wed. Can barely seem to hold food down. I think I would have not done well if I was in the desert yesterday night. It was so cold even at home. I'm actually kind of worried about Troy & Jaydee now & hope there night was good!

troyboy162
11-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Oh man Sean I didnt know you made it all the way there! We abandoned the camp spot due to the heavey winds and decided to use the meet up spot in the morning. We ended up one canyon over about half way up to get out the wind. Sorry to hear the truck is acting up again. 3 years ago my truck had a miss after an engine wash and my cat glowed after too. I'll check out your post to get the details on the miss.

Dang Mark I didnt know you had just gotten chemo. I hope you feel better soon. You are a tough SOB for even trying to rally after that stuff! It was cold as heck out there. Skidoo even got snow Sat night.

kafene
11-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Glad you guys made it back safe! I was texting Sean to see if he had heard from you guys. I was thinking we may have to send out a search party. ;)

Troy, feeling a "little" better now. Haven't been bed ridden like that it quite a while. I'm actually getting winded just going up the stairs. Anyways... I'm just glad you guys are back safe.

Jaydee914
11-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Wow guys! That sucks to hear about the bad luck this weekend! Although I'm glad that you made it home ok, Sean and that you're starting to feel better, Mark. There'll be other trips though...

Troy, this is the trip I was talking about:
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=10229.0

Turns out it was posted here, not T4R.org. Looks like it would be a pretty mellow trip - no mines, and no rock bashing. I'm still down to do it, although it would need to be a summer trip.

Crinale
11-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Wow, lots of mishaps on this one.. Glad everyone is ok still though. Get better soon Mark! :)

Sean, sucks about your truck, do you think it's the same problem you have had intermittent for the last year or so?

Seanz0rz
11-12-2012, 03:17 PM
yeah, new plugs and wires are on their way. I'm going to start with that first since i know it needs to be done anyway before the rainy season hits. after that, i will go hit some rough roads and see if it pops up again. I was relieved to see that was all it was when the CEL came on. Not that it is a good thing, but at least it wasnt catastrophic failures.