PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Three 5VZ-E Ignition Coils

mastacox
08-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Anyone have 3 extra ignition coils they're willing to part with? I'm having some misfire problems, changed the plugs and wires and the problem just came back... Next step is coils I guess :loser:

YotaFun
08-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Before you throw coils at it, which Cyl are you miss firing on?
Are you getting a random miss and then a miss code for all cyl?

mastacox
08-30-2012, 07:49 AM
I have to pull the codes to see, I'll look at it tonight.

mastacox
09-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Alrighty I was finally able to pull the codes, my OBD2 system was on the fritz after the plugs job, it turns out I accidentally disconnected the signal ground on the supercharger when I replaced the spark plugs & wires.

Anyway the codes are:

P0172 System Too Rich Bank 1 (this one comes in and out intermittently depending on how much go pedal I use :flipoff:)

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

I think cylinders 2 & 5 are the "middle" cylinders on each bank, meaning they are on the same coil. What do you think? I'll try and clean the connection on that coil, just in case it's just some grime in there...

YotaFun
09-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Sound like the rear coil pack is going.

2 & 5 are linked through that coil pack

5 6
3 4
1 2

5 is your pass side rear cyl, swap the coil packs from cyl 5 and three and see if your miss moves, if it does then you know you need a coil pack, if not, then there is another issue some where in the system

mastacox
09-04-2012, 12:33 PM
5 is your pass side rear cyl, swap the coil packs from cyl 5 and three and see if your miss moves, if it does then you know you need a coil pack, if not, then there is another issue some where in the system

Good idea, I'll do that and see what happens.

YotaFun
09-06-2012, 01:21 PM
any word? did it move?

mastacox
09-06-2012, 06:37 PM
I regrounded that one connection and the misfire hasn't come back... :headscratch: Haven't gotten any check engine lights in a couple of days actually since I tweaked the tune a little, and it passed Texas inspection with flying colors.

I'm just going to leave it alone until the misfire resurfaces (or doesn't), I got the feeling it happened more in the rain (hence my thought it was the plug wires) but we will see :wrenchin:

mastacox
10-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Well the misfire came back on 2&5, swapped the coil pack to the middle and its still 2&5... maybe the connector?

YotaFun
10-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Check the connectors, If the plugs and wires are good and so is your coil pack since the miss didn't move, I would say you can safely eliminate spark.

I think we are looking at fuel or air here, and since I am sure your getting plenty of air with the blower, I would lean towards.

How old are the injectors?

mastacox
10-01-2012, 09:44 PM
The plug seems ok from what I can tell, but I'm not sure there's a great way to know 100% without doing some serious tear-down. I need to read through my FSM and see if anything in the troubleshooting section covers misfires. I should probably pull the plugs and check their screw caps too, they're nearly new IK-22's but I've been burned by loosening screw tops before. :shake:

The injectors are 318cc ones from the URD fuel kit, installed in 2006. So not exactly new, but not ancient... I might try some Seafoam through the tank though nice reminder.

YotaFun
10-02-2012, 06:07 AM
Checking the FSM myself and the diag procedure for the issue.

It could be the screw caps on the plugs, I have never had issue with them either, then again I just run the Toyota Denso, but I am not boosted.

As much as I thought you might have eliminated spark, not quite yet.
With the URD stuff, you had to pin out some wires off the ECU harness correct?
It could be something in the harness, but I am not sure what is pined.

mastacox
10-02-2012, 07:52 AM
I went and got some Seafoam to run through a vacuum line and the tank but it occurs to me that the misfire on 2&5 only really points to spark since they share the same coil, it's just very unlikely fuel injectors would be the issue on both of those cylinders since they're on different rails and everything. Of course I don't really know if it can detect an individual misfire between 2 or 5, or if it just knows one of those cylinders is misfiring and throws a code for each.

I'm going to have to troubleshoot the harness to see if I'm having voltage problems at the coil connector, probably pull the plugs and make sure everything kosher on them... if I'm really having misfires in a cylinder the plugs should be blackened more so than the rest.

mastacox
10-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Well I've still been troubleshooting my problem with no obvious resolution, although I do have it "fixed" for now.

I went in and ohmed my ignition parts individually per the FSM, everything checked out. So I cleaned the MAF, replaced the TPS, ran seafoam through the gas, nothing fixed it... SO, I replaced the IK-22 plugs with new Toyota OEM plugs, and the problems appear to have gone away. :shake: Idles smoother, good power (better than before), with smooth revving and no misfires on the way to work.

Edit: By the way, when I took the IK-22's out they all look good, the misfiring cylinders included, and no loose screw tops...

So it could be a bad set of IK-22's, but honestly it's running better than it has in months, so I'm just going to run factory plugs for a while and see how things go. I'm not worried about knock, because if I hear any I can just retard the timing a bit.

At least it's running nice! Now I can focus on the Toytec adjustable coilovers that are sitting in my garage ready for installation :drink:

YotaFun
10-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Thats good to hear, honestly I like sticking with factory stuff engine wise period, just will run better, even supercharged, they never offered a different plug style for the s/c motors

mastacox
10-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Yeah I've been running IK-22's for 6 years now, and they're the recommended spark plug for supercharged 3.4's, but I've had way more problems with them than the factory plugs... Just goes to show you it's always best to go back to basics when the SHTF :ban:

Crinale
10-29-2012, 02:50 PM
interesting that the SC 5vz's don't need a colder plug.. Most Forced Induction engines do.

mastacox
10-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Well the IK-22 is the recommended plug for the 5VZ-E ever since I've been supercharged back in 2006. They're meant to prevent knock; thing is, you can also prevent knock with timing retard. We'll see how things shake out in the next few weeks.

Of course I've been running IK-22's for 6 years now, so I'm still not really sure what changed that caused my engine to hate this batch...

paddlenbike
10-29-2012, 03:41 PM
I installed my URD 7th injector kit as I got time. The IK22's were the first part of the kit to get installed and I *think* it reduced the pinging somewhat, although certainly not entirely. It ultimately took 4-5 degrees of ignition retard (max) to cure the problem.

mastacox
10-29-2012, 06:24 PM
I *think* it reduced the pinging somewhat, although certainly not entirely. It ultimately took 4-5 degrees of ignition retard (max) to cure the problem.

Yeah me too...