PDA

View Full Version : "Desert Jamboree" Planning Thread - Please Help!

Seanz0rz
08-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Ok gents, help me out with this.

The goal is to create a "Desert Jamboree" (a tentative project name, it will change). This is somewhere between a "very organized trail run", and a "show up and follow us through the desert".

here are more goals:
-Annual event, possibly semiannual (2x a year)
-Visit new thing each time. These events would sort of center around the Mojave Road to start, but could also grow to include other overland routes through the desert and surrounding areas of Southern California. Other trips could include visiting interesting spots and connecting the dots with the miles of dirt roads between.
-relatively small groups, no more than 15 trucks. larger groups may be split in two.
-family friendly
-3 day trips (friday-sunday traveling)
-small raffle, potluck, games, etc.
-Tech demo's as the present themselves.

So, what do you want to see?
Let's start with the Mojave Road, as that area is a bit easier to explore. I took a group through back in March: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=10052.0

Planning thread for that event: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=9974.0

To those that went, or saw the pictures, what were your favorite things? what would you really like to see again or spend more time exploring? What were your least favorite things?

Now, I ask you to, in your free time, explore the internet and find interesting things in the Mojave National Preserve that we missed. Links to websites, pictures, coordinates, whatever you can post so i can look at including those in the next trip we do. Even if you are out of state and will never participate, if you know of something, let us know!

Any and all input is appreciated in this. I can plan an awesome trip that I want to take, but I rather take you guys to where you want to go. We all know something different, so let's share that knowledge!

elripster
08-31-2012, 03:54 PM
My input.

First, do not limit the group to 15 trucks. The best way to make sure your event has minimal impact is to restrict rigs to a group that small. In fact, given the site activity I'd suggest not limiting rigs at all. You are wandering through the desert, there is plenty of room for more trucks. If tons of folks show up you can do a few things like give everyone a map and let them depart camp for the day's destination whenever they wish or use "speak up or keep up" where if a person can't keep up they radio ahead and the leader slows down. That works 1 zillion times better than trying to keep lower cars in your rear view mirror while trying to wheel a trail.. and eventually radioing ahead when you inevitably lose sight of them by which time the group is stretched like a slinky.

For multiple events/year I'd suggest a mountain event in the summer when Pismo is crazy, Pismo in the fall, and desert in the winter (jan/feb).

Just plan the trip you want to take and invite others along. You aren't getting paid for this and organizing events is a ton of work. Anyone who takes something like this on deserves to pick the route. Also, by taking decisive action like this you don't run the risk of turning folks off who's ideas don't make the itinerary. That might sound odd but I have seen it happen on forums over the years.

Lastly, pick times, dates, and destinations early that conflict as little as possible with other similar events. If you want to open it up to ideas on a forum that's your call but lock it down in plenty of time for folks to plan. That will ensure your event has the farthest reach as far as distance between attendees and the event.

Frank

Seanz0rz
08-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Frank, I completely agree with all of what you said.

The limit on the # of vehicles is for two main reasons. The biggest is the NPS. National park service limits groups to 6 vehicles, 14 people with out a permit. I am fairly confident I can get a permit for 15 vehicles, but after that the chances of them requesting event insurance and other such items increases, as does the likelihood they deny it completely. Second, finding a campsite(s) suitable for more than about 10 is very difficult, and 15 is about the maximum I would feel comfortable trying to find campsites for. We could fracture into a dozen little camps spread over a few miles, but that sort of defeats the purpose of a planned event.

I am not set in stone on the number, but making it a free for all event makes the planning nearly impossible in a place like this. some highly desirable campsites will only fit 5 vehicles. Planning for every possible contingency is time consuming, frustrating, and difficult. Those are the 2 biggest reasons for not allowing 30+ vehicles. the other logistical problems are manageable.

Desert season is basically november 1st thru april 1st. we could do two desert events in there. Mountain events are a whole other beast, so I am not going to include them in this.

I have a few different routes planned, but I know there is a lot more to see out there than what I have on google earth, notes, and paper maps. I'd like to find new stuff to see to keep it from being the same ol' trip. If others can look around, or chime in and say "hey, there is this really cool thing out in the middle of the desert. It is only 15 miles out of our way and would be really cool to see it!" then that saves me a ton of work, people get what they want and everyone is happy.

Dates and times will just be set, likely on 3 day weekends (president's day is pretty perfect for this kinda thing) and hopefully people can take the day off. Also, it is possible to join or leave mid trip, which is convenient.

Thanks for posting frank!

troyboy162
09-01-2012, 01:27 AM
I havnt seen much for info about that place. There are mines around but non that I know of that would be interesting without vert gear.

Good Times
09-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Sean,

Many moons ago we did June Lake / Mammoth / Bishop. This offered a lot of different places to explore with plenty of rv camping places. This might be something we can re-explore as I'm sure many of us that did this years ago wouldn't mind re-exploring many of these sites. Plenty of places to do day trips in the surrounding areas with stock vehicles which is key when you want to attract a larger audience.

Another option is just to do a free form different location every year so it doesn't become routine. I mean we can literally just call it the ultimateyota jamboree where every year we just pick a new destination and explore for a full week or so. By keeping the event family friendly we would have everyone gather at an rv site so those that want the creature comforts can enjoy the amenities while those that want to tent it can also just tent it too. The event can be a short weekend or extend over the entire week for larger destinations. Having everything central to rv camp sites we avoid the headaches of the "sanctioned event" where it requires an event insurance. We are just friends meeting at the site to "camp". There can't be restrictions there. :)

I think we need to get enough interest and then do a poll of areas to explore. With a large community I know we all have a bunch of places we would like to see so I'm definitely game!

DHC6twinotter
09-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Sounds like a great idea to me. Are you guys looking to keep this in the CA area? If not, then a jamboree in MOAB or western CO would be neat (Alpine Loop is a great trail)

The Mojave Rd. is almost an annual event, and it would be great to make it an official jamboree. I also like Lance's idea of rotating locations.

Back when I was in NC, I thought about putting together an event out on the outer banks, but the SE contingent here isn't really that large.

Anyways, I always enjoy the Pismo Jamboree, and another jambo would be great. I just hope I stick around the southwest so I can make these events. :D

elripster
09-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Good points about the number of people. Since this is geared more towards an event than an informal gathering of vehicles you would need to worry about permits and camping facilities.

Otherwise if 50 trucks feel like running "The Road" and happen to pack up some of the camp sites that could happen any old weekend.

I wonder what makes something an event?

It sounds like a prerun is in order to asses camping situation. I don't know if dispersed camping is allowed or are you restricted to designated sites?

Frank

Jaydee914
09-02-2012, 03:11 AM
I'm down for whatever the format becomes. Sounds fun!
I'll start the destination suggestions: I'd love to check ou the Vulcan Mine. Even though you can't drive in, it seems like it could be a pretty cool site from above.

kafene
09-04-2012, 02:11 AM
I'm down for whatever the format becomes. Sounds fun!

I'm with Jaydee, whatever the format. Had a blast the last time. There wasn't anything I didn't like about the last trip!

Mark.

Crinale
09-04-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm in too, I have a SoCal adventures book that has that area in it at home (that i forgot all about for our last Mojave run), I'll try to remember to look through it when I get off work.

Seanz0rz
09-04-2012, 11:56 AM
I've been working on some ideas, i will post about that when i have more time.

I'd like to visit the desert megaphone, and if not too far, the cross dedicated to WWI vets that caused so much controversy a few years ago. I'll work on it after i complete my latest project, cleaning out the garage (yet again..)

Jaydee914
09-04-2012, 10:53 PM
I've been working on some ideas, i will post about that when i have more time.

I'd like to visit the desert megaphone, and if not too far, the cross dedicated to WWI vets that caused so much controversy a few years ago. I'll work on it after i complete my latest project, cleaning out the garage (yet again..)

Again,those both sound good to me too.

troyboy162
10-17-2013, 04:29 AM
Bumping this one since I started looking for another Mojave type route. I'm looking at something between palmdale and 29 palms. There are a lot of east/west trails out there and I can imagine they would all link without too much effort. Question is if there is enough sights to see to make it fun. Its certainly closer, but looses a lot of fun factor for not being as remote as MR.

-Lucerene valley has at least a days worth of sites
http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php/17070-Rodman-Mtns-Loop-20100403?highlight=
-Johnson valley beyond that could take a day without even going to the hammers. not to mention crossing the road brings you into rattlesnake canyon and everything big bear.
-Stodard wells area should have about a day of things to see though this is more of a Offroad destination area with toy haulers and stuff.
-West of barstow is some x-plane crash sites...not sure how interesting those would be.

Seanz0rz
10-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the bump!

I've been working on some plans and routes, but I'm on trip-hiatus right now. I'll pm you more info about all that.

I'm still looking at doing a Mojave Preserve run that is NOT the Mojave Road, since there is so much more to see beyond the Road.

I am also looking at a similar run to what a friend did a couple of years ago, making it from the desert to Pismo with as much dirt as possible. Some of the problems are coming across new developments that turned BLM land into private or at the very least, fenced federal land.

And again, it is important to find cool stuff along the way.

If you have a proposed route or a string of POIs, let me know and I'll do the planning for them.

Stay tuned!

troyboy162
10-18-2013, 01:40 AM
pm sent with a rough trip.

troyboy162
06-30-2014, 01:47 AM
couple spots I was thinking about were White mtn(inyos) and Mazourka canyon. White mtn is definatly a summer trip since its high altitude. Mazourka looks like it could be anything but winter/early spring since it can have lots of snow that needs to melt. The greater bishop area (if you can call it that) seems to have alot to offer on both sides of the 395. I just wish it was closer.

Seanz0rz
06-30-2014, 06:24 AM
Yeah, I'm looking to do a good camping weekend, but since getting a Friday or Monday off is virtually impossible now, I will settle for BB or somewhere nearby. Hoping to get out sometime in the next couple of weeks, but we'll see.

troyboy162
06-30-2014, 07:11 AM
Hard to rule out big bear! I'd be up for some overnighters

Seanz0rz
06-30-2014, 11:52 AM
Are you back stateside? I'm hoping to go in the next few weeks, but probably just me and Lexi. We could use a mini vacation!

DHC6twinotter
06-30-2014, 04:43 PM
I hate all these planning threads….lol. Makes me wish I were back on the left coast again. I'm really itching for another road trip.

04 Rocko Taco
06-30-2014, 05:44 PM
I hate all these planning threads….lol. Makes me wish I were back on the left coast again. I'm really itching for another road trip.

Never been out there for any off road fun, but I would love to get out there one of these days as well. May have to fly out for Pismo one year. I'm not sure my 84 would be a very ideal choice for the dunes. haha.

Jaydee914
07-01-2014, 12:21 AM
I'm itching to get back out there sometime soon!

troyboy162
07-01-2014, 02:17 AM
took another look at a winter one I never paid much attention to due to the super easy rating, but it actually looks kinda cool
Red Canyon, Bradshaw Trail, Augustine Pass, Chuckwalla Spring and Palen Pass (90 miles offroad) you could tie in the dale mining district as well to make it 120ish miles. That would be 29 palms to the arizona border down by the salton sea

its got some merit to it with nice views. http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24114

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Iqe_vBF3a98/TxYkpVaHfUI/AAAAAAAANaw/XnyR5-sBYws/s800/DSCN2175.JPG

http://forums.oausa.net/download/file.php?id=3098&sid=9263c11d0ddf5c2439783dd36a2fb1d3

Jaydee914
07-01-2014, 05:00 AM
Looks interesting.

Seanz0rz
07-01-2014, 06:39 AM
We'll have to see how El Nino does this winter. Low desert camping might be a bit unpredictable, as in you might want to bring a raft. The above trail looks like fun though, I'd be down for that one!

troyboy162
07-01-2014, 06:48 AM
It looks pretty cool. Its super easy though and makes the Mojave trail look like the hammers lol. I've been to the dale mining district and that's a little more challenging but not by much. Beautiful mining stuff in the dale area

Seanz0rz
07-04-2014, 07:20 PM
I'm going to put a trip together for that area. Thinking Thanksgiving weekend (Friday-Sunday or so, we will see how the mileage works out). It is the only time I have off from labor day to X-mas and NYE. If I get a day off for Pismo, it will require working 10 hour days instead of 8. bleh.

Also, I think this year's MRE will be an "Off the road" trip, seeing some stuff that is too far off the Mojave road to see on the normal track. I think we will try for a Sat, sunday trip this year, head generally North to South (or South to North, however it works out better), see some different mines, travel some different roads, etc. Unless we pre-run in the winter, we will consider it more difficult than the Mojave road since we don't know quite what to expect out there. Probably 4wd, 32's, rear locker or winch. I'll do my homework.

Seanz0rz
07-04-2014, 10:06 PM
Got a rough map of some of it. Don't have much info on Ausustine Pass in terms of useful maps. Google Earth isn't much help either. I guessed.

Rough estimate is 135 miles for Bradshaw and associated locations. I don't have an exact track (that just takes way too much time) but the track reads 111 miles and I think a good addition is 20%. Easily done on a tank of gas for most of you. I bring extra fuel just in case.

Dale mining district is a rough estimate of 60 miles, with a few of those being on pavement to get from there to the start of bradshaw. That puts us at about 200 miles for the whole trip. Alot to do in 2 days, but it should be pretty quick going through most of it. Might be a better 3 day trip. Our daylight will be pretty short in late November, so it will be a pretty hard push.

Here is the pic. If you want the file, PM me your email addy.
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2897/14390424207_bf54762f97_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nVCFLc)

Seanz0rz
07-05-2014, 09:43 AM
There is gas between Dale and Bradshaw at Chiriaco Summit, and the Patton museum is there too, which would be cool to see. (see airplane icon in above photo where blue turns into red) That would make the fuel to fuel distance probably around 140 or 150 miles, easily doable without extra fuel.

troyboy162
07-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Dont forget the sideshoot into the canyon. I thought it was part of the route the way all the reports are written but its a side trip.

Seanz0rz
07-05-2014, 09:57 PM
I'll add that when I get a chance. I won't do too much planning on it until I know for sure I'm going. I don't get too much free time anymore!

Seanz0rz
07-10-2014, 08:56 PM
Bump. This trip is a go for that weekend, weather permitting (since we spend a good amount of time in a river bottom, and we are expecting el nino this year). Any one in? Friday-sunday after thanksgiving.

troyboy162
07-10-2014, 09:29 PM
I marked it on the calender. I hope to make it

Seanz0rz
07-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Sounds good. I know it isn't a great weekend because so many of us travel to see family, etc. but hopefully we can get a few people out there!

Depending on conditions, I might drag the trailer for this one. Maybe.

Kryptoroxx
07-11-2014, 07:15 PM
I don't see how I can refuse.....since I could go for a morning run and meet you guys lol. I'm not going anywhere for Thanksgiving. Might have to talk to Battlewagon too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Seanz0rz
07-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Cool!

I will post up a real thread soon.

To drive through Joshua Tree NP, it costs $15. Not really pleased with paying to drive thru. I don't bother with most of the national parks because they end up being tourist traps (sad but true).

Since we will be entering the park on a road that is not an official entrance with a booth, we will have to figure out how to get the pass ahead of time. I'll email them or call them next week and find out.

Kryptoroxx
07-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Cool!

I will post up a real thread soon.

To drive through Joshua Tree NP, it costs $15. Not really pleased with paying to drive thru. I don't bother with most of the national parks because they end up being tourist traps (sad but true).

Since we will be entering the park on a road that is not an official entrance with a booth, we will have to figure out how to get the pass ahead of time. I'll email them or call them next week and find out.

There is an official entrance not far from where you want to enter. It's in the city of 29 palms or you can get a pass at the booth too if you're talking about park Blvd off of Utah trail.

As for El Nino I think the winter will be a little easier than the current monsoon season we are having. We have already been flooded out as a city twice lol. Base has much better drainage since they didn't build in a wash.

Seanz0rz
07-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Ok, We will plan on stopping there.

In the past, at least as I remember it, the low deserts get hit pretty good since there is no substantial mountain range between "the valleys" and the low desert. The high desert will still get hit, but not as hard. El Nino has that tropical moisture with it that likes to dump rain in a short amount of time, perfect for flash floods in a narrow channel pictured on the last page.

Unfortunately, we haven't seen any rain from the monsoons here. We got close on the 4th, but no dice. It's just been soooo humid!

http://www.southerncaliforniaweathercentral.com/ is a great resource. I highly recommend liking it on facebook and signing up for the email alerts, especially where you get crazy weather often. He is a private individual providing this service, and not affiliated with NWS, NOAA, etc. He actually does a really great job of predicting SoCal weather, something the major services seem to fail at because they lack the understanding of the mechanisms at work here.

Kryptoroxx
07-12-2014, 02:22 PM
I was down salvage yard diving on the 4th. Those clouds allowed me to pull that york compressor out of San Bernardino and check out in 30 minutes lol.

There was significant flooding here with the storm on the 5th so a lot of the dirt roads have been damaged or even "erased" depending on their location.

I will check out the weather service although weather here is pretty simple. When you see clouds you are only a couple of days away from a storm. The days you see rain clouds though can probably be counted on the digits you were given at birth.

Seanz0rz
08-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Official post coming in the next couple of weeks. This one won't be huge on planning, since I just don't have the time, but it will be well thought out.

Seanz0rz
08-10-2014, 11:07 AM
I'm also looking to do some better weather forecasting for our trips. Especially rain and severe weather. Still looking towards a decent el nino this year, but some of the data is conflicting. It is looking likely to have big precipitation events in the low deserts, so were still on a weather permitting status. Whole trip is up in the air anyway, we'll see what happens.

Any other suggestions for destinations? Looking to do planning for trips ahead of time. Then they are ready to run at will. Mojave road will be announced soon as well.

toyotech
08-23-2014, 03:06 AM
Sub. Would like to join in on some desert trip if I have time off and there is room :)
After seeing your trip earlier this year. It looks like a lot of fun

Seanz0rz
08-23-2014, 07:24 AM
I'll probably release plans after pismo, everything up till then is getting the truck in shape for pismo.

toyotech
08-24-2014, 05:21 PM
I'm trying to make pismo as well.

Seanz0rz
08-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Come by this year. I won't have quite the compound of previous years, but the screen room and a tent should be there.