PDA

View Full Version : End of an era? Jetta Sportwagen might be the replacement

Bob98SR5
10-16-2012, 10:26 AM
I have been thinking about this for the past year now. Yes, the unthinkable: selling my 4runner.

Maybe I'm just getting to be an old fart, but my needs have changed since I originally purchased my 4runners since the late 90's. There is nothing mechanically wrong with it except I need to change out the lower control arm bushings. Coupled that with restoring the 76 2002, I'm pulling double duty as mechanic on two cars. Not to mention, gas prices have just about killed my desire to take longer trips. At 17.5 mpg, a trip to No Cal, Yosemite, Kings Canyon, etc. becomes expensive (or maybe I'm that cheap). I love road trips, love camping, etc, but gas is definitely not getting cheaper and the age on the 4runner means I'm spending a lot of money on steering/suspension components and tires as of late.

It is wearing thin, folks. I'm sure if I had a two bay garage where working would be easier, I may have a different take on this. But anyways, I've been thinking about replacing it with a car with better mileage but with *similar* utility.

The vehicle I've been considering is the 6 speed Jetta Sportwagen. I'll keep driving stick, thank you very much. All the reviews I've read have been outstanding on this vehicle. I know VW can't match Toyota on reliability, but the Sportwagen seems to get about 4 to 4.5 stars on just about every consumer report-type rating. The mileage is outstanding, the suspension is typical German, styling is pretty good, what's not to like?

So any JSW owners out there? I'm looking at 2010 to current. Let's chat.

Bob

4x4mike
10-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Looks like I need to PM Bob. I think his UY account was hacked.

All kidding aside. We have some close friends with a 2011 Jetta TDI wagon. They like it a lot. I have to say it's quite comfortable and has much more interior room than our Forester. There is some turbo lag but it does get up to speed. There are some things here and there that I don't like but it seems all new cars share similar traits. Things like a cheap feel in the interior as well as the fit and finish of things like buttons and levers. Most stuff nowadays seems to be made of toy plastic and glue.

They are a VW family and have had at least one for close to 25 years. They currently own the wagon and a 2010 GTI. Both are sharp look cars.

paddlenbike
10-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Hanna and I drove the TDI Sportwagon and so far it's our top choice for a replacement car for her. We would have bought one six months ago except we keep hearing about quality issues with VWs. It doesn't help that my Uncle is a diesel engine and electrical component engineer with Kenworth and he routinely bashes the TDI engine for quality problems. The DSG is a wonderful transmission but maintenance is really expensive, so good thing you want the manual.

I'm not sure what the breaking point is, but do a Google search and you'll find that the 2012 Jetta *sedan* was severely cheapened--interior-wise they went from leather in the 2011 to vinyl in 2012 and down to one of the lowest grade plastics you can fit into a car as well as less sound deadening. Mechanically, VW switched to a beam axle replacing the previous IRS suspension, rear drums replacing the rear discs. However that cheapening did NOT carry over to the Jetta Sportwagon, which is why it costs $3,000 more than the sedan for 2012. The Sportwagon was slated for the same cheapening that was inflicted on the sedan some time in 2013, so look out for that.

2011 Jetta models are recommended, 2012 models are NOT recommended. Road tests by auto magazines say that VWs used to feel high quality and fun to drive and now the Jetta (specifically) been reduced to bargain basement cheap feeling car with no driving feel.

As it turns out, the 5th gen 4Runner is high on Consumer Report's list for vehicles that scored low or "don't measure up to the standards set by previous models." The redesigned Jetta is #1 on the list, the 5th gen 4Runner is third and was called a "clear disappointment."
http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/03/2011-annual-auto-issue-new-cars-consumer-reports-car-ratings.html

Don't get me wrong, we loved the 2011 Sportwagon, but we're holding off because we both have that bad gut feeling.
I would find a way to keep the 4Runner, it's not worth THAT much and it has the utility of being a reliable 4WD snow or camping vehicle, it can haul a load and tow a trailer (when you get another house you'll be back in home improvement mode and living at Home Depot like me) and quite frankly it's just the kind of vehicle you want around for a myriad of uses. Eventually I want a 2013 Ford Focus ST, but the 4Runner will always stick around for those other duties, plus the "fun" duty of getting into the outdoors.

Good Times
10-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Have you looked at the Venza? Has an AWD option too btw. My friend just got it and it's pretty roomy and might fit the bill. The mpg is much better than your 4runner and it's new. Just some food for thought since I did ponder the same thing. Somehow I ended up w/ a 100 series LC which gets crappy mpg. doh!

O btw, once the 4runner is up and running (hint hint, wanna help me? haha), you're welcome to use it since I got to use your 4runner (and pull a RV out!) hehe. Don't forget you can always drive David's 80series Land Cruiser too!

CJM
10-16-2012, 01:48 PM
I cant say much from experience of the newer VW, but even 5-10 year old ones I view as disposable trash. Maybe its just the fact the old jettas were so horribly built, IDK but I dont trust VW at all.

Id rather have a subaru wagon if I wanted a stick or a fiesta/focus wagon 9they still got those?).

mastacox
10-16-2012, 04:19 PM
All I can say be very wary of any VW's known issues... I was a huge proponent of the TDI until we started having trouble with our 2006 Jetta TDI; when the sh*t hits the fan in a TDI it does it for real... in the course of about 6 weeks we've had (no exaggeration):

DSG Service (every 40k miles): $400
Timing belt job: $1000
Dual-mass flywheel replaced (known issue): $1500
A/C compressor seized, took the serpentine belt tensioner with it (not a rare issue): $1000
Rear brakes job (known issue), did front brakes at the same time: $400

So in the last 6 weeks we've had to pay for I sh*t you not $4300 of maintenance and repair work on our car, $2500 of that being mechanical failures not regular maintenance. The car has 110,000 miles on it with good maintenance, and I barely trust it as far as I can throw it right now... Sure the mileage is amazing, but all of this mess has completely erased any possible money savings...

Look hard before you leap into the TDI arena, take for example on 2009's+ the possiblely very expensive problem with the high-pressure fuel pump, which may in some circumstances implode and spray metal shavings throughout the entire fuel system: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299854. Fixes may be covered while under warrantee but all bets are off after warrantee expires (which is only what, 60k?)

Seanz0rz
10-16-2012, 04:38 PM
my buddy has or had a 06 tdi. turbo went out. He purchased it from carmax, but had to pay to have the car shipped. last i asked a few months ago, he had 12 rental cars over 24 weeks. he had his tdi a total of 4 weeks. carmax offered to buy it back but not pay back shipping, so he keeps taking it in when it comes back and is not completely fixed.

personally, i would stay far away from any vw product. Sad really, they have some awesome stuff, but it just doesn't last!

mastacox
10-16-2012, 05:28 PM
personally, i would stay far away from any vw product. Sad really, they have some awesome stuff, but it just doesn't last!

Honestly we're there as well. When we first bought the car it had 50,000 miles on it (first owner sold it when it's warranty ran out, he was the smart one LOL).

I really like a lot about the Jetta TDI, but man its maintenance is viscous when it hits... We'll have to get a larger car for my wife next year when #2 child comes along, lets just say we won't be replacing it with a Passat. I just hope we can get it out of our life before it needs a cam job (another known issue in this engine, but I've tried to be fastidious in our oil changes).

The dirty little secret for TDI's is the maintenance more than makes up for the fuel savings. Knowing what I know now, I would have preferred a gas econo-box like a Toyota Camry or Ford Fusion. Of course, each kind of car has it's own maintenance items you have to stay on top of, it just seems like the VW's are much less forgiving when it comes to that sort of thing, and the requirements are very strict :-\

CJM
10-16-2012, 07:13 PM
You guys are the exact reasons I DO NOT like VW. Too many problems that are just poor craftsmanship and cheap parts.

paddlenbike
10-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Brian, thanks for the post. People often talk-up things they own even if they're not the best, so I appreciate the honest assessment. With the VW off our list, that leaves us with the TSX Sportwagon and the newly redesigned 2013 Ford Fusion. But this is Bob's thread afterall, so I'll save my car shopping dilemmas for another thread.

fenrisx
10-16-2012, 10:22 PM
A friend at work just bought a little 2012 2-door golf cart TDI... after reading this I feel for him!

Don't do it, Bob!

CJM
10-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Not sure about the new fusion, but my friends dad has an 00 focus with like 180k on it that so far has only needed basic work and a heater core. he has been super happy with it.

Crinale
10-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Not sure about the new fusion, but my friends dad has an 00 focus with like 180k on it that so far has only needed basic work and a heater core. he has been super happy with it.

the older focuses were simpler cars than the new fords are. Those things are just basic no over the top electronics cars.. Now with MyTouch (the most convoluted vehicle system I've ever had the displeasure of using) there is so much stuff that can break, and I'm not sure I trust Ford to not screw that up (especially since it's powered by Microsoft). Just be sure to go on an EXTENDED test drive of any Ford you think you want to purchase, because after the focus I drove a couple weeks ago I wouldn't want to own one. (that is the crappiest auto transmission I have ever used!)

Bob98SR5
10-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Looks like I need to PM Bob. I think his UY account was hacked.

All kidding aside. We have some close friends with a 2011 Jetta TDI wagon. They like it a lot. I have to say it's quite comfortable and has much more interior room than our Forester. There is some turbo lag but it does get up to speed. There are some things here and there that I don't like but it seems all new cars share similar traits. Things like a cheap feel in the interior as well as the fit and finish of things like buttons and levers. Most stuff nowadays seems to be made of toy plastic and glue.

They are a VW family and have had at least one for close to 25 years. They currently own the wagon and a 2010 GTI. Both are sharp look cars.

I have heard these types of stories...

jrallan26
10-17-2012, 10:46 AM
My dad has a 2002 TDI golf which has 200K miles and hasn't done a thing to it.

Bob98SR5
10-17-2012, 10:49 AM
All I can say be very wary of any VW's known issues... I was a huge proponent of the TDI until we started having trouble with our 2006 Jetta TDI; when the sh*t hits the fan in a TDI it does it for real... in the course of about 6 weeks we've had (no exaggeration):
Look hard before you leap into the TDI arena, take for example on 2009's+ the possiblely very expensive problem with the high-pressure fuel pump, which may in some circumstances implode and spray metal shavings throughout the entire fuel system: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299854. Fixes may be covered while under warrantee but all bets are off after warrantee expires (which is only what, 60k?)

...and then i've heard of these stories too. Thats what makes buying a VW such a somewhat risky proposition.

Brian:

I remember you writing a few years ago how much you liked your Jetta TDI and now this?!? That is some crazy nutty nonsense. I know my coworker's gas Jetta had some similar problems too that expensive problems occurred one after the other. Yours is really extreme though.

Its really hit and miss it seems based on what I've read above. Ken, what's the main beef with TDIs? I know the common rail injection thing was a big deal when it came out, but it is definitely a departure from the traditional pre combustion chamber design like my old biodiesel Benz.

Speaking of, I pulled up to a 300TD (same year) the other day and rolled down the window to hear that clackety clackety diesel sound. Was music to my ears, though mine was definitely running smoother than his!

Ok, digression aside, what I would probably do is sell the BMW too and then sell the 4Runner last. The BMW is a play car and needs A/C and 5 speed swap to make it truly a DDriver.

Going to VW dealership today after work to peruse...

jrallan26
10-17-2012, 10:56 AM
@Bob What happened to your MB?

Bob98SR5
10-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Have you looked at the Venza?

O btw, once the 4runner is up and running (hint hint, wanna help me? haha), you're welcome to use it since I got to use your 4runner (and pull a RV out!) hehe. Don't forget you can always drive David's 80series Land Cruiser too!

Venza: nope. I think Toyota's SUV space is really crowded with a bunch of models that can't differentiate themselves (at least in my head). I'd pass on this.

Your 4runner: sweet. To make things whole, once repaired, I'll find something stuck in mud and pull it out!

Bob98SR5
10-17-2012, 11:36 AM
@Bob What happened to your MB?

Sold it to buy the BMW

mastacox
10-17-2012, 01:41 PM
I had been a fan of our TDI until we had to blow through our savings to fix all of these problems with it... but it could be I'm bitter :tongueout:

The thing that I don't like most about the TDI (and DSG), other than the major mechanical failures we've had all at the same time, are its very specific short-interval unforgiving maintenance requirements. The DSG fluid service is something that has to be done by a shop, the oil changes are risky to have done by a shop and have special oil that's necessary if you want to hold off early cam failures, etc. etc.

If you're looking at getting a TDI get one with lower miles to retain some factory warranty, get an extended warrantee if it's under $2000 and covers everything engine and powertrain related (including exhaust, internals, etc.), get a manual transmission (you've already said this), and get one that's a later model year of the build.

In my opinion, it seems the 2006's have problems because they're the first year of the MK5 engine/transmission combo. Dual-mass flywheel issues, EGR cooler leaks, cam lobe wear issues, and rear brake issues were all known problems when we bought this vehicle in 2008, and now we've had 3/4 come to fruition. I want to hope cams aren't next, but our track record is not that great so far.

Similarly, the 2009 is a new engine again, and now from what I'm seeing has a few recurring issues. HPFP failures being the main one I've heard about (and very expensive to fix, around $5k-7k without warrantee coverage through dealership since it destroys all of the fuel system when it goes...).

Just do a lot of research before you buy, and don't buy because the mileage will save you money. I would rather have bought another daily driver for me with the $4k we've spent in repairs on this one.

paddlenbike
10-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Ken, what's the main beef with TDIs? I know the common rail injection thing was a big deal when it came out, but it is definitely a departure from the traditional pre combustion chamber design like my old biodiesel Benz.

I had the discussion in August when we were planning to buy a TDI, and that's when my Uncle said that several of the Kenworth truck engineers had TDIs and they were all having issues with the engine, I know the high pressure fuel pump being one of them. I will have to re-address the issue with him, apparently TDIs became the "don't do it this way" talk of all the diesel engineers. It's a bummer because it's still the car we like most. We want a wagon with fun driving dynamics, good mileage and something that will last at least 200,000 miles without expensive repairs--the VW has all of those traits except that last important item.

Bob98SR5
10-17-2012, 04:34 PM
egad, this is really some food for thought. thanks brian and ken.

paddlenbike
10-17-2012, 05:24 PM
We were initially going to buy the car with a 100,000 mile warranty, hoping that the HPFP problem would present itself before the warranty was up. But the more research we did, the more problems we discovered with this car. The cam problem happens at higher mileage, when our warranty would have been over. I honestly think you would be money ahead to fix everything on the 4Runner, at least it's a reliable foundation.

YotaFun
10-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Wow, its amazing to read all these testimonials on the VW.

My neighbor across the street from me is a huge TDI fanatic, but of the older MKIV (1999-05) body Jettas.
He had a 10' Jetta TDI sport wagon, that thing was awesome to drive, but he got rid of it because he couldn't run his bio diesel in it, and he could build an older TDI a lot better with the money he was spending on it.

He currently has an 05' TDI that was an auto that he did a manual trans swap in (cause lets face it the older Auto's in the VWs where just horrible).
He has been driving it, and now his daughter has it, the only thing that has gone on it so far is the Injector pump, he replaced it himself, not that hard to do and is still driving it.

I know that doesn't pertain to much to the year you are looking but just a thought if you really want a TDI, the only thing I would be weary of with that gen is the electrical issues (his son has an 02' and the car has a mind of its own)

As far as another alternative, I like the Venza that Lance suggested as a city car, as far as its off-road capabilities, 19" or 20" rims just don't sound great since there is also no side wall on the tires.

I know you believe that Toyota's SUV line is cluttered, but its not to bad, I would def consider a new Highlander as a replacement if you MUST get rid of the 4Runner, and the hybrid option is not to bad either, really fun and comfortable to drive and a little more roomier then the 3rd Gen.

Be interested to see what you end up with but I would have to agree on one thing most have said here, Keep the 4Runner, fix it up and then if its still to much get another DD something cheap with a manual, I am looking to unload my Camry and pick up a 97-02 body style, great on gas and never have major issues.

CJM
10-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Speaking of the new toyotas (and not to thread hijack) but: Something interesting keeps happening with the ones I go out to.

The key fob stops responding to the ignition. It will open the doors or whatever but nothing happens when you hit the start button. Sometimes if the person has another key it works, other times it wont do anything.

Also had a few hybrids refuse to run right. Engine turns over, move car 5 feet shuts off. Over and over, its pretty funny.

Care to shine some light on this Avy?

jrallan26
10-18-2012, 10:39 AM
After reading this thread... I've decided to keep my 08 Carrolla S.

YotaFun
10-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Marc, thats a topic for another thread, there is a whole thing I could go over on how the keys work or how the hybrids function now that I am not going to flood this thread with.

Jrallan26 - That is a wise idea

CJM
10-18-2012, 03:55 PM
new thread: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=10247.new#new

Im very curious Avy.

Sorry to hijack bob.

Bob98SR5
10-21-2012, 08:52 PM
well after talking with one more friend who owned a passat for 6 years, i've decided ot give up on the TDIs and VW. unsolicited, i asked my friend to tell me of his experince with his passat. basically it ran really well for the first 3-4 years and then everything went to pot after that. constant maintenance and parts were really expensive, he said. mirrors Brian's experience (above) but not as bad.

fenrisx
10-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Probably a good call, Bob. Although, I realize it's disappointing when you find a car you like only to find out their reliability is shit.

DHC6twinotter
10-21-2012, 09:49 PM
How reliable is the BMW 335d? I've heard good things performance wise about those cars, but not sure how reliable they are.

I heard Chevy is supposed to offer a diesel Cruze soon, but I'm not sure that would be any more reliable than a VW.

The Highlander and Venza are good suggestions, and I also like the 2010 Camry with a manual trans.

Bob98SR5
10-22-2012, 06:19 PM
dan,

i looked at the diesel BMW and its much too spendy for me. it'll probably be around high 40s by the time you pick ONE option :P you know how BMW options its cars out. ridiculous.

its gonna be hard to find the same attributes as the jetta wagon.

paddlenbike
10-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Bob, the closest we have come is the TSX wagon. It's the nicest driving car so far, and as long as you stay away from the Technology Package, most people are getting them for just under $30k. That's more money than the VW, which is why we are making sure it's the car we want. We do like it better in almost every way than the VW (except the price and lower fuel economy), and the difference between what is said about these two cars on internet forums are night and day. The Acura is just a well built car.

http://www.thetorquereport.com/assets_c/2012/10/2013_Acura_TSX_Wagon_N5E8919-thumb-530x353-23795.jpg

Bob98SR5
10-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Ken,

Yeah, I've never met an Acura owner who didn't like their car. True dat. For now, I'm going to focus on fixing the 4runner (she's taken a back seat in recent years, so to speak) and get it all fixed up. I just got the Toytec bushings in the mail yesterday so I'll be starting that project soon. Maybe not this weekend though.

paddlenbike
10-24-2012, 09:30 AM
:thumbup: The 4Runners are keepers. ;)

Crinale
10-24-2012, 10:06 AM

X2 :thumbup:

YotaFun
10-24-2012, 10:24 AM

That they are!

paddlenbike
10-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Well, a TSX followed us home today.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-UGQXB6otn0s/UI3u2eZ5pmI/AAAAAAAAHdY/Fk1tjSY5O3c/s640/IMAG0195.jpg

I love the interior of this thing at night.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-okeNNHzAjFE/UI3vuVZ0CfI/AAAAAAAAHdo/KT6d6IoAnYY/s640/DSC_2049.jpg

Crinale
10-29-2012, 02:47 PM
very pretty car Ken. Congrats!

paddlenbike
10-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Thanks, although I can't take credit for the car, it was my fiancee's hard-earned purchase. We did a massive amount of research which eliminated several cars we liked, such as the VW that started this whole thread. We have also read horror stories about all the problems associated with the direct injection systems on newer cars--with fuel being injected in-cylinder, there is no fuel to lubricate the valves, so PCV oil and unspent fuel via the EGR system sticks to the valves and causes this in very short amounts of time.

This is typical of a new Audi engine...this one only has 19,000 miles and has had all scheduled services performed:
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo344/rAudiguy/DSCN3439.jpg
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo344/rAudiguy/DSCN3441.jpg
Don't take my word for it, just google direct injection and valve deposits.

We have also read plenty about expensive maintenance and short maintenance intervals on the newer DSG transmissions and troublesome CVT transmissions that are becoming more commonplace in the search for better fuel efficiency. While the TSX has just as many on-board computers as everything else, it's 2.4L 4 cylinder K24 engine has been around for a long time and has no direct injection and just a standard old 5-speed auto. The engine bay looks really simple compared to some of the other cars we've looked at (particularly the V6 front wheel drive cars or the AWD flat-4 Subarus), so there's at least a chance I can work on it when the car is older.

This may all backfire, but at the end of the day it was 1) the car she liked best and 2) just happened to have a good service reputation and it's somewhat old-school powertrain appeals to cheapskates like me that can't afford $140-$160/hr shop rates.

Crinale
11-01-2012, 02:53 PM
The k24 is an awesome engine, and has been in use since the CR-V and accord were updated in 2002. The cylinder head is different on the TSX from those models (higher output VTec head), but none of it is new tech. Definitely congrats on the purchase.

YotaFun
11-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks, although I can't take credit for the car, it was my fiancee's hard-earned purchase. We did a massive amount of research which eliminated several cars we liked, such as the VW that started this whole thread. We have also read horror stories about all the problems associated with the direct injection systems on newer cars--with fuel being injected in-cylinder, there is no fuel to lubricate the valves, so PCV oil and unspent fuel via the EGR system sticks to the valves and causes this in very short amounts of time.

This is typical of a new Audi engine...this one only has 19,000 miles and has had all scheduled services performed:
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo344/rAudiguy/DSCN3439.jpg
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo344/rAudiguy/DSCN3441.jpg
Don't take my word for it, just google direct injection and valve deposits.

Thats euro direct injection, Toyota has gotten around that issue by having 2 sets of injection, one before the valve in the intake to help clean the valves, and then the direct shot.

BMW and Audi I heard actually have a service at 30K for the valves, to have the heads taken apart and clean, thats insane!

paddlenbike
11-01-2012, 03:48 PM
The k24 is an awesome engine, and has been in use since the CR-V and accord were updated in 2002. The cylinder head is different on the TSX from those models (higher output VTec head), but none of it is new tech. Definitely congrats on the purchase.

It has a broader torque band than I would have expected from a Honda engine, although I haven't pushed it yet since it only has 130 miles on it.

I guess I need to google i-VTEC and see how it differs from the old VTEC I know.

Avy, interesting. Most of the bad press I've read involves Audi and BMW engines.

Crinale
11-02-2012, 11:21 AM
The TSX is closer to the old vtec you know from what you will probably find on i-vtec. Traditionally i-vtec is only used for fuel efficiency rather than power (it is found on all k24 and k20 engines). The TSX vtec still only works on one set of cams like the old vtec for a nice rush of HP at the top end.

paddlenbike
11-07-2012, 08:30 AM
I need to read more about how it works, but it has VTEC on both intake and exhaust (changing cam lobe profiles) but only has VTC (variable cam timing) on the intake. Here (http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=6212-en) is the press release on it.

http://img2.netcarshow.com/Honda-Accord_Tourer_2009_800x600_wallpaper_42.jpg

Loving the car so far.

Bob98SR5
11-07-2012, 09:17 AM
went to the dealership to pick up parts. saw a TRD tacoma double cab. wow, so damn nice! though its not the mileage champ that i need, boy, they sure are refining those double cabs quite nicely. it was white. love the grill design too

paddlenbike
11-07-2012, 10:14 AM
The recent facelift helped. I like this 2012 white one with TRD supercharger:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/TRD_Supercharger_Install_28_.JPG

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/TRD_Supercharger_Install_3_.JPG

Obi..
11-07-2012, 12:07 PM
The recent facelift helped. I like this 2012 white one with TRD supercharger:

I swear if that's your's I officially hate on you now. ;)

paddlenbike
11-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Don't worry, not mine. :)

Crinale
11-07-2012, 04:26 PM
supercharged 1gr must be a fun ride.. considering the 1gr stock has the power of the supercharged 5vz.

paddlenbike
11-07-2012, 06:10 PM
supercharged 1gr must be a fun ride.. considering the 1gr stock has the power of the supercharged 5vz.

The 2013 4.0 makes 235 hp to a stock SC'd 3.4's 270 hp. The 4.0 has 266 ft lbs of torque at 4000 RPMs compared to a SC'd 3.4's 270 ft lbs, but the 3.4's torque curve is flat and makes something like 90% of the peak torque at 1800 RPMs. That's without fuel system upgrades.

Bob98SR5
01-02-2013, 07:51 PM
New things to check out for the new year:

- Power steering groaning like an old man esp on cold days. Lock to lock, it groans LOUD. And yes I checked the fluid, its at max

- Transmission whining. Sounds like a muted supercharger

With a new girlfriend who lives over an hour away, this f'g Jetta Sportwagen is looking really good right now. Oh yeah, VW seemed to iron out the HPFP problem in the 2012 models. 2010 was the worst, gradually fixed it during 2011.

YotaFun
01-03-2013, 06:47 AM
My Rack has a leak but my fluid is still on max, I would check to see if your steering rack is leaking.

If not you might want to look into a new power steering pump, not too expensive after core and not too hard to do imho.

Can't remember, is yours an auto or stick?

Bob98SR5
01-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Yotafun,

Yah good idea on the steering rack leak. I'm too freaking busy to deal with this so i'll be dropping it off at the mechanic tomorrow.

xonetruthcrewx
01-03-2013, 05:59 PM
As some of you may know, I am a bit of an Audi/VW guy. Over the past 8 years I have owned 3. A 2005 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t 6spd manual that I dumped 25k into or so. Had it for 2.5 years and 20k miles. Loved that car. Never an issue. Damn do I miss it! I also owned a 2005 VW GLI 1.8t 6sp manual. That one only lasted for 7 months. No issues, but probably didn't keep it long enough to make much of a call on that one. Lastly, I currently own a 2005 VW Touareg V6. Bought it early in 2006 with 15k miles on it. Today it has 68k miles. I hasn't really had any problems. Brake job at 45k miles. Driveshaft at 55k miles (known issue, carrier bearing failure). Replaced some cracked vacuum lines about 6 months ago. And thats it. Car is solid.

So with all that said, here is a quick summarization of it all. VWs made in Mexico are no bueno for the long haul. VWs made is Germany, solid. The difference in build quality is huge. So if you want to go Euro, don't cheap out on a Mexican version.

Additionally, European cars are going to require a little more TLC when compared to Toyotas or Hondas. Its just the nature of the beast. So if you're not willing to make the commitment, stay away.

*Disclaimer*

The way I wrote this may have made me sound like an ass. Well, I am a bit of an ass. Regardless of such fact, take what I wrote lightly. Mexico made VWs are still good cars. German made are indeed better, but not everyone wants to pay that price tag. Pretty damn steep. The thing I always tell people is this. Open and close the door on a Mexican VW. Then do the same on a German made VW. The build quality is immediately apparent. Anyways, enough of my BS. Carry on... :asshat:

DHC6twinotter
01-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Is there a way to tell what VWs are built in Mexico or Germany? Is there a different digit in the VIN to go by?

Bob98SR5
01-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Mexico = 3A-3W Mexico
Germany = SN-ST Germany

The gas JSW are made in Mexico. i have a feeling the TDI version is too.

Bob98SR5
01-04-2013, 06:47 PM
the mech did a flush of the power steering system and refilled. no more sound, but the true test will be tomorrow morning.

DHC6twinotter
01-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Mexico = 3A-3W Mexico
Germany = SN-ST Germany

The gas JSW are made in Mexico. i have a feeling the TDI version is too.

Thanks, Bob. Good to know!

Bob98SR5
01-04-2013, 08:48 PM
yah just look up VIN code explanation on google