PDA

View Full Version : TRD developing supercharger for Scion FR-S

paddlenbike
11-05-2012, 09:56 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2012/04/2013-scion-fr-s-2d.jpg

"The Scion FR-S was just named the Hottest Sport Compact at the 2012 SEMA Show, and Toyota Racing Development (TRD) is apparently looking to make this car a little hotter. According to Car and Driver, TRD is close to coming up with a supercharger to fit to the car's 2.0-liter flat-four engine in order to squeeze out a little more performance. Currently, the FR-S produces 200 horsepower, but there's no guessing how much a supercharger could improve this figure.

With Subaru seemingly hard at work on a new turbo engine for the BRZ and even possibly a BRZ STI model, it is only logical for a force-fed FR-S to be in the works as well. Surprisingly, though, the report says that supercharger would be unique to the FR-S, but since the Scion and Subaru BRZ are mechanically identical, it isn't clear how this would be accomplished. TRD already offers plenty of upgrades for the FR-S such as exhaust, brake and suspension kits, and it offers a handful of superchargers for other models including the 5.7-liter V8 used in the Toyota Tundra and the 4.0-liter V6 used in the Tacoma."

-------------------
This car is fun already; a supercharged FR-S would rival or exceed the fun of the old supercharged MR2s. It would also be fun to see how the supercharged FR-S would compare to the turbo Subaru version.

mastacox
11-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Interesting idea, I'm guessing the supercharger will be compatible with the BRZ or FR-S, so that means these cars will basically be available in naturally aspirated, supercharged, or turbocharged!

I want to see a side-by-side comparison of the supercharged FR-S and turbocharged BRZ at Laguna Seca :clap:

paddlenbike
11-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Interesting idea, I'm guessing the supercharger will be compatible with the BRZ or FR-S, so that means these cars will basically be available in naturally aspirated, supercharged, or turbocharged!

Or both. You buy the turbocharged BRZ then add the TRD supercharger on top. :)

Seanz0rz
11-06-2012, 09:00 AM
dual forced induction! I like it!

Crinale
11-06-2012, 02:34 PM
dual forced induction! I like it!

It's called twin-charged.. Its an awesome setup, where the supercharger boosts low to negate any turbo lag, then a bypass opens when the turbo spools to pull air in for the high boost for high top end.

That said, these engines are already making 430-450WHP with turbos and completely stock internals (not even changed compression). The only hurdle was the stock fuel pump and clutch both limited to about 300hp, replaced those and they haven't broken one yet.

Obi..
11-06-2012, 06:19 PM
*Great, more cam timing issues to deal with?

How about they build something for one of their other vehicles instead? Another Billy-Bandwagon-PopCulture marketing push.

Give us the Supra Back Already!

;) [/RANT]

fenrisx
11-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Give us the Supra Back Already!
;) [/RANT]

As much as I want to see a Supra.. I do prefer cars I can afford. :P

jrallan26
11-06-2012, 07:41 PM
I just test drove an BR-Z last week. Fun car, great brakes, nice balance. Very cool that the dealer let me flog the car at the local kart track.

paddlenbike
11-06-2012, 09:13 PM
It has stiff competition from the already proven Hyundai Genesis coupe. I've driven it and found it excellent.

fenrisx
11-06-2012, 09:23 PM
It has stiff competition from the already proven Hyundai Genesis coupe. I've driven it and found it excellent.
Really nice looking car to boot...

Crinale
11-06-2012, 10:48 PM

Really? I drove one and felt it had a lazy throttle and steering, and no feel from the clutch.. Compared to the FR-S I drove which felt very precise in all those areas. The FR-S was new on the lot and the Genesis had 10k miles on it.

paddlenbike
11-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Did you drive the turbo 4 or the 3.8 V6? I drove both and to be honest I did not like the turbo 4...it was laggy and the engine sounded thrashy. The 3.8 V6 was powerful and refined. That said, the turbo 4 has been revised and is better now, I drove the older version.

Crinale
11-07-2012, 04:21 PM
I drove a 2011 (or early 2012, not positive on that) turbo 4.. I would give it another chance if I found a v6 manual coupe to drive.