PDA

View Full Version : Direct Injection and carbon deposits

paddlenbike
11-08-2012, 09:25 AM
I posted in another thread about our hunt for a new car and I described the significant number of problems people are having with carbon build up on these new direct injection engines. The car forums are literally lighting up with problems from virtually every manufacturer. The problem is so widespread that we decided to buy a car that uses port injection rather than direct injection so we don't have to deal with having the valves walnut shell blasted every 30,000 miles.

Here is what the valves on a new Audi look like at 19,000 miles.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo344/rAudiguy/DSCN3439.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo344/rAudiguy/DSCN3441.jpg

The Audis and BMWs have the biggest problems on their hands, but probably because they started using DI a year or two before everyone else. It's interesting to note that the 2.5L V6 in the Lexus IS250 (a direct injection engine) is experiencing severe carbon build-ups like everyone else. (Lexus extended the warranty on these cars and is offering free top engine cleans to address the problem.) However the same car is also available with a 3.5L V6 (the IS350) that uses two injectors per cylinder--one is direct injection and the other is standard port injection. These cars are *not* experiencing the typical direct injected carbon build up and all the forums keep pointing at the Lexus 2GR-FSE engine design as the solution to the problem.

"The 2GR-FSE employs what may be described as "hybrid direct-injection, port-injection strategy," the only known such system among volume production engines in the "emission control zone," according to Shizuo Abe, Toyota's product General Manager. He cites a sample operating condition at 1200 rpm with a 60% load ratio: with direct-injection alone, fuel tends to form in lumps due to heavier fuel volume and slow piston speed, lengthening combustion duration, and thus limiting torque output. On the other hand, port-injection alone would not necessarily be better. Adding 30 to 40% direct-injection to port-injection accelerates gas flow, significantly improves torque output. Injection ratio between the two injectors is continuously varied?for example 30 to 40% in a specific parameter, and increased to 50 to 60% in another zone?optimizing the mix and distribution. Ultimately in high-rpm zone, 100-percent direct-injection is used to obtain higher torque." Toyota has 300 patents on this system.

It appears that fuel flowing around the valves is necessary to prevent the carbon build up. I'm really happy we found a new car without direct injection, but it looks like Toyota was the first to implement a way to prevent the problem. It will be interesting to see if the other auto manufacturers do the same.

YotaFun
11-08-2012, 10:12 AM
As a note, the FRS/BRZ engine uses the same technology as the 3.5l in the Lexus, I thought the 2.5l had it as well but I guess I am mistaken.

My concern with the system is that its a high pressure system, you have to let it bleed down before you start any work on it.

paddlenbike
11-08-2012, 10:19 AM
yup, I meant to point that out when I wrote this. The Toyota direct injection system I described above is referred to as D-4S and it was implemented on the FR-S/BRZ. However you'll note that Subaru had to resort to just direct injection alone on their own new cars, so those engines will experience the same carbon build up as everyone else. The FR-S/BRZ has D-4S and therefore will not.

I have to hand it to Toyota, I thought they were losing their edge, but clearly they still "have it."

paddlenbike
11-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Not everyone is interested in reading technical articles about stuff like this, but I figured I would post it anyway.

Toyota's D-4S Dual Injection System (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3868&stc=1&d=1326052791)

This article provided me more insight on new engine technologies than any other source I have read in the past few years.

But here is the basic summary:
A new V-6 3.5-liter gasoline engine (2GR-FSE) uses a newly developed stoichiometric direct injection system with two fuel injectors in each cylinder (D-4S: Direct injection 4-stroke gasoline engine system Superior version). One is a direct injection injector generating a dual-fan-shaped spray with wide dispersion, while the other is a port injector. With this system, the engine achieves a power level among the highest for production engines of this displacement and a fuel economy rating of 24mpg on the EPA cycle. Emissions are among the lowest level for this class of sedans, meeting Ultra Low Emission Vehicle standards (ULEV-II).

This paper described improvement of full-load performance for the D-4S system that has high flow efficiency intake-ports, dual-fan-shaped sprays for the DI injectors and simultaneous injection using PFI injectors and DI injectors. CFD analyses confirmed the dual-fanshaped sprays satisfy the requirements for full-load performance. The specification of the new 2GR-FSE V-6 3.5-liter engine and the vehicle performance with this engine were described.

1. With the aim of improvement of full-load performance, a high efficiency intake-port is adopted. But combustion efficiency at lower engine speeds deteriorates due to less homogeneity of the mixture formation in the cylinder. The newly developed dual-fan-shaped spray DI injector promotes a homogeneous mixture without any devices to generate intense air-motion to improve full-load performance.
2. It was revealed that adoption of the new spray and higher efficiency intake-port cannot sufficiently suppress torque fluctuations at part loads due to a heterogeneous mixture. To improve the mixture formation, a PFI injection is installed. Simultaneous injection of two injectors can improve combustion over a PFI only system due to a more homogeneous mixture.
3. Simultaneous injection is effective in reduction of HC emissions during catalyst warm-up under cold conditions. Furthernore utilizing PFI injection during engine cranking can reduce HC emissions: these can bring this engine a potential for SULEV standards.
4. The 2GR-FSE engine has been developed with D-4S system, and this engine contributes significantly to improved vehicle performance. With this engine, the LEXUS IS350 delivers class leading full-load performance, and excellent fuel economy while meeting low emission standards.