PDA

View Full Version : front strut removal help

Elton
04-25-2007, 10:24 AM
im getting new shocks and would like to cut down the install price by bringing the shop the hole strut the back seems pretty simple now for the front i was looking at it theres 1 bolt for the shock its self in the middle and 3 around it on top and the bottom looks pretty easy just one bolt now which bolts do i remove i dont wanna take the wrong ones out and have the spring come flying out which would not be cool :thumbup:

Seanz0rz
04-25-2007, 10:39 AM
take the 3 off at the top around that much bigger center nut. DO NOT REMOVE THE CENTER NUT holding the shock in place. remove the bottom bolt.

ive found it easier to remove the bottom nut(19mm) then to remove the bolt, push down on the hub/rotor and then you should be able to pull the bolt out. then remove the top 3 nuts(14mm) the center nut on the shock should be 17mm, do not remove this.

then it will drop out, be careful its heavy and in an awakard spot.

MTL_4runner
04-25-2007, 11:09 AM
^^^^^ Ditto.

Never remove the bolt on the top of the strut stud until you have compressed the springs.
Failing to do so can throw parts with enough force to do serious damage to you.

This is a pretty good writeup on how to change the fronts and what bolts to remove:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/projects/blackbean/ome/

Seanz0rz
04-25-2007, 11:14 AM
http://www.4rnr.net/suspension.html

just for a bit more information on the whole thing.

Elton
04-25-2007, 03:36 PM
thanks alot pics really helped

p nut
04-27-2007, 11:02 AM
When I did mine, I sprayed the top three nuts and the bottom bolt in PB and soaked it overnight. I don't know if it made any difference or not, but they came off with relative ease.

BTW, I personally thought that taking off the springs were pretty easy. I just rented a spring compressor from Autozone and did it myself. I laid the assembly down on its side, made sure it was pointing in a safe direction, had a friend cover the assembly with a slab of carpet, then proceeded to undo the top nut. All went well with no issues, and it was pretty safe, I thought.

gpcollen
04-27-2007, 11:48 AM
How the hell did you get the spring compressed and back on then??

Seanz0rz
04-27-2007, 12:11 PM
How the hell did you get the spring compressed and back on then??

how do you mean?

i think you are thinking of something different, the whole strut assembly, consisting of the shock, top plate and a spring sandwiched in between comes out as one unit. you compress the spring with spring compressors, releasing the pressure on the shock's top nut. then you can remove the top nut, which allows the whole assembly to come apart with the spring still in high compression. if swapping shocks, then you remove the old shock, put the new one in just like the old one came out, slowly back of the spring compressors until theres enough pressure on the top plate to make sure the face of the hole for the bottom bolt is parallel with the plane of two of the studs on the top plate. then back off the spring compressors completely, and you are done! no need to have the compressors in the wheel well of the truck!

Elton
04-27-2007, 11:50 PM
man i cant wait tell that shocks get here just have to track down some tools

gpcollen
04-30-2007, 06:40 AM
[/quote]

When I did mine, I sprayed the top three nuts and the bottom bolt in PB and soaked it overnight. I don't know if it made any difference or not, but they came off with relative ease.

BTW, I personally thought that taking off the springs were pretty easy. I just rented a spring compressor from Autozone and did it myself. I laid the assembly down on its side, made sure it was pointing in a safe direction, had a friend cover the assembly with a slab of carpet, then proceeded to undo the top nut. All went well with no issues, and it was pretty safe, I thought.

My first read - toward the end it sounded like he was covering with carpet and not compressing the spring - Just letting it fly. Reread indicates a spring compressor. Just not sure why all the hocus pocus if you have a decent compressor. Success nonetheless.

drguitarum2005
04-30-2007, 07:00 AM

My first read - toward the end it sounded like he was covering with carpet and not compressing the spring - Just letting it fly. Reread indicates a spring compressor. Just not sure why all the hocus pocus if you have a decent compressor. Success nonetheless.
[/quote]

i dont know what type of compressor the one if you rent from autozone but unless tis a heavy-duty wall-mount type like the shops have, if you search around, there are plenty of horror stories of those dinky compressors breaking and sending a spring flying and hurting people, thats the reason for the carpet, to absorb some of the impact if the thing break off. you can never be too safe.

p nut
04-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Thanks, drguitarum2005. The compressors from Autozone were pretty stout, but I still did not trust them. I had my friend place the piece of carpet over the spring and put his foot on top of it in case it blew apart. Everything went smooth, but like you said, you can never be too safe.

Elton
04-30-2007, 08:38 PM
got the shock today big thanks to steve at sonoran steel the nuts on the shocks fit great so no worry's there just have to see if the weather holds out and gotta ask my freind for some jack stands and a sawzall and im takeing the struts to the local import shop here as they have a wall mounted spring compressor

sschaefer3
04-30-2007, 09:25 PM
The Nuts are Genuine Toyota Parts as promised.

:thumbup:

MTL_4runner
05-01-2007, 05:27 AM
.....I'm takeing the struts to the local import shop here as they have a wall mounted spring compressor

Smart man! :thumbup:
If you don't feel comfortable, have a shop do it....it's not much money at all if you bring them the parts.

Elton
05-02-2007, 06:44 PM
got the tools i needed also borrowed a electric impact wrench i doubt it will help but it will make taking the wheels of easier think ill start with the front first then move to the rear lol this will be my first time using a sawzall soo im a little nervous

YotaJunky
05-02-2007, 06:48 PM
got the tools i needed also borrowed a electric impact wrench i doubt it will help but it will make taking the wheels of easier think ill start with the front first then move to the rear lol this will be my first time using a sawzall soo im a little nervous

What's the sawzall for?

Troy

Seanz0rz
05-02-2007, 07:51 PM
removing rear shocks i hope... lol. the top nuts on mine came off just fine, but if they are the least bit rusty, they are nearly impossible!

YotaJunky
05-02-2007, 08:02 PM
removing rear shocks i hope... lol. the top nuts on mine came off just fine, but if they are the least bit rusty, they are nearly impossible!

Yah, I wouldn't want to cut off the top nut on the front strut without having the spring compressor in place.

Elton
05-02-2007, 10:51 PM
yes the sawzal is a backup just it case the top nuts on the rear shocks dont wanna come off

MTL_4runner
05-03-2007, 06:12 AM
If the top nuts on the rear shocks are rusty at all the sawzall is by far the easiest way.
You'd laugh how fast you could get the rear shocks out with a sawzall vs ratchet method.

p nut
05-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Sawzall is awesome. Might want to get a spare blade. I had to have mine at an angle, which snapped the blade. Don't even attempt to undo the top bolt. Just cut the shock off. You will have enough frustration trying to thread the top nut on the new shock.