PDA

View Full Version : How much tools do you guys carry?

kafene
11-21-2012, 09:56 PM
I'm looking at keeping a small tool kit with me in the truck. I'm looking at the following:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_338514-25428-85179_4294707909__?productId=3372074&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating|1&facetInfo=[/url]

or

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hand-Tools-Tool-Sets/Husky/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc22xZrd/R-202919308/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UK26H4WGEcs

I got the Kobalt 93 piece set from Lowe's. I like the case and the entire set is smaller taking up less space. They have the Husky 135 piece set on sale for $50. Wondering if I should get the larger set for an extra $10 or keep the smaller set I got.

How big of a tool set do you guys carry?

This question excludes Sean who even carries spare truck parts! :wrenchin:

Seanz0rz
11-21-2012, 10:10 PM
i carry a full set of standard and metric 3/8 drive sockets, a full set of metric 1/2" drive sockets, a full set of metric wrenches, plus a full set of metric and standard ratcheting wrenches. not to mention another box full of hammers, tape, screw drivers, pliers, etc etc etc.

i carry tooooo much. i dont think spare parts is a bad thing... and really i only carry a spare front axle, plus some screws, nuts, bolts, etc.

that 40 dollar set it tempting... I have always been a craftsman person, but for the price, and I would only be using them in the field... even the Husky set is nice! damn you for making me want to spend even more money!

I think if I was going to buy one of those two sets, I would get the Husky,

4x4mike
11-21-2012, 10:17 PM
I'll search for a thread or two that we've had in the past about tools and storage. I used to carry a lot of tools but never really used them. I knew I carried more than i needed but I always like to be prepared.

My advice to you is to piece together a kit and find what you really need. All the fasteners on the truck will be metric so an SAE kit isn't necessary. BUT say you add a rack, bumper and nick nacks here and there. You want to make sure you've got an adjustable wrench or whatever it takes to service, remove, repair, etc those parts.

I ditched all the 1/4 drive stuff as it's not needed. Either I've got the same sizes in 3/8 drive or I can remove the small stuff with pliers or and adjustable wrench. I do carry a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter just in case but I don't think I'd ever need it. I also ditched lot of wrench sizes I don't need and replaced them with an adjustable wrench. Most fasteners will be 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm or 17mm. There are bigger ones but those are big/expensive wrenches. Buy and carry as needed but again you can find adjustables that open past 30mm. Couple that with a small breaker bar and/or some slip joint pliers and you'll be able to do some work.

Multiple screwdrivers are as useful as a few correctly sized ones or combo drivers. Stubbies are nice and then some big ones. For the in between a combo screwdriver and a Leatherman will have all your bases covered.

You can go hog wild and carry power/air tools, welders or components to weld using your vehicle or another but in the scheme of things travel with at least one other vehicle in good repair (or just go everywhere with Sean) and know your vehicle. Most of the time the stuff you need are things like a telescoping magnet, seal pick, mirco screwdriver, a random fuse, random electrical bit or component, etc. In those cases 50 pounds of tools won't do much for you.

kafene
11-21-2012, 10:20 PM
i dont think spare parts is a bad thing... and really i only carry a spare front axle

"Only" :lol:

I'm all Craftsman, too, but I figured these are tool's I wouldn't really use in the garage but just to keep in the truck. I guess I'll return the Kobalt set and pay the extra $10 for the Husky.

Seanz0rz
11-21-2012, 10:24 PM
when is the sale over for the Husky tools? That is super tempting for me, i'm getting kinda sick of carrying so much and having to find clever ways of packaging it in my truck.

I carry SAE as well as metric because of my front and rear bumpers, not to mention my military trailer that is completely standard sizes. Some pull double duty, like 3/4" and 19mm.

kafene
11-21-2012, 10:24 PM
I'll search for a thread or two that we've had in the past about tools and storage. I used to carry a lot of tools but never really used them. I knew I carried more than i needed but I always like to be prepared.

My advice to you is to piece together a kit and find what you really need. All the fasteners on the truck will be metric so an SAE kit isn't necessary. BUT say you add a rack, bumper and nick nacks here and there. You want to make sure you've got an adjustable wrench or whatever it takes to service, remove, repair, etc those parts.

I ditched all the 1/4 drive stuff as it's not needed. Either I've got the same sizes in 3/8 drive or I can remove the small stuff with pliers or and adjustable wrench. I do carry a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter just in case but I don't think I'd ever need it. I also ditched lot of wrench sizes I don't need and replaced them with an adjustable wrench. Most fasteners will be 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm or 17mm. There are bigger ones but those are big/expensive wrenches. Buy and carry as needed but again you can find adjustables that open past 30mm. Couple that with a small breaker bar and/or some slip joint pliers and you'll be able to do some work.

Multiple screwdrivers are as useful as a few correctly sized ones or combo drivers. Stubbies are nice and then some big ones. For the in between a combo screwdriver and a Leatherman will have all your bases covered.

You can go hog wild and carry power/air tools, welders or components to weld using your vehicle or another but in the scheme of things travel with at least one other vehicle in good repair (or just go everywhere with Sean) and know your vehicle. Most of the time the stuff you need are things like a telescoping magnet, seal pick, mirco screwdriver, a random fuse, random electrical bit or component, etc. In those cases 50 pounds of tools won't do much for you.

Mike,

VERY good input. Thanks!

4x4mike
11-21-2012, 10:34 PM
I've got large sets of tools at home in my roll aways but don't like to pick through them for a trip or event I'm working. As such I have second and third sets of stuff for bike events or races I do and the tool wraps. I don't keep any of it in the 4runner on a regular basis because the weight does add up and it's one more thing to walk off. They live in a milk crate in the attic and I pull it when I'm up there no doubt pulling out other stuff for a trip.

This way I know I have everything and don't have to spend extra time packing or unpacking when I get home. In a small zippered case in the glove box I keep my Leatherman, 6 inch adjustable wrench, metric hex key set (for bicycle stuff), telescoping magnet, seal pick, zip ties, fuses, etc. The entire thing is about the size of a Taco Bell bean burrito. This is in conjunction with the other stuff, not so much tools, that I have in the cargo cubbie in the rear quarter panel.

It's there and gets used and is great to get out of little jams.

kafene
11-21-2012, 10:37 PM
when is the sale over for the Husky tools? That is super tempting for me, i'm getting kinda sick of carrying so much and having to find clever ways of packaging it in my truck.

I carry SAE as well as metric because of my front and rear bumpers, not to mention my military trailer that is completely standard sizes. Some pull double duty, like 3/4" and 19mm.

The Husky set didn't have a "Sale" sign next to it and thought it was the regular price. I'm just thinking it's on sale because the online price for the Husky 135 piece set is $89. I took a photo of the set and the only thing that looks different is the ratchet set. It has the same three sizes, but the model of the ratchets look different. Everything else looks the same.

The ratchets actually look like the ones in this set:
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hand-Tools-Tool-Sets/Husky/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc22xZrdZ12l1/R-203414829/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UK3HsIWGEcs

CJM
11-22-2012, 08:06 AM
If you can hold out till after xmas those husky sets become super cheap. Or you could buy it now, return it and wait till its put back on the shelf and then buy it on sale.

I got a similar set years ago for like 35 bucks after xmas.

DHC6twinotter
11-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Engine wise, you can do a lot with just 3/8 drive 10, 12, 14, and 17mm sockets, 12 and 14mm wrenches, some extensions, pliers, a screw driver set, a torque wrench, and one of those magnet thingies. I'd say 90% of the work I've ever done on my 4runners was just with those tools, although I've not done any suspension work.

I've never needed or used any ratcheting wrenches, although a 14mm ratcheting wrench would have come in really handy when doing my timing belt.

My suggestion for tools to keep in your car:

-full set of metric tools (3/8 drive with a 3/8-1/4 adapter is probably good enough)
-10, 12, and 14mm deep sockets
-set of socket extensions, along with the flex joint thingy
-metric wrenches
-screw driver set
-pliers
-magnet thingy for picking up lost nuts/bolts
-utility knife
-wire strippers
-breaker bar or a cheater pipe

Other stuff I would carry:

-electrical tape
-spare fuses
-hose clamps

Just my $.02.

DHC6twinotter
11-22-2012, 09:14 AM
These might work:

30 piece metric socket set with deep sockets for $25 (I think there's a 17mm, but not sure)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_338527-22328-85193_4294707909__?productId=3364146&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating%7C1&facetInfo=

8 piece wrench set:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_359491-25428-85224_4294707923__?productId=3531156&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating%7C1&facetInfo=

5 piece pliers set:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_253677-16878-50954_4294778737__?productId=1072409&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating%7C1&facetInfo=

Add to that a set of extensions and the few other odds and ends I mentioned, and you can do a lot.

kafene
11-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Engine wise, you can do a lot with just 3/8 drive 10, 12, 14, and 17mm sockets, 12 and 14mm wrenches, some extensions, pliers, a screw driver set, a torque wrench, and one of those magnet thingies. I'd say 90% of the work I've ever done on my 4runners was just with those tools, although I've not done any suspension work.

I've never needed or used any ratcheting wrenches, although a 14mm ratcheting wrench would have come in really handy when doing my timing belt.

My suggestion for tools to keep in your car:

-full set of metric tools (3/8 drive with a 3/8-1/4 adapter is probably good enough)
-10, 12, and 14mm deep sockets
-set of socket extensions, along with the flex joint thingy
-metric wrenches
-screw driver set
-pliers
-magnet thingy for picking up lost nuts/bolts
-utility knife
-wire strippers
-breaker bar or a cheater pipe

Other stuff I would carry:

-electrical tape
-spare fuses
-hose clamps

Just my $.02.

Thanks for the input! I'm going through your suggestions & adding what I don't have to the list. When I'm all done with everyone's input, I'll have more tools my truck than I had in my entire garage! 8) LOL

Seanz0rz
11-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Basically I think you should carry enough tools to fix the likely items to break, come loose, etc.

I carry ratcheting wrenches because they can turn a miserable 15 degree wrench space into a less tedious and time consuming experience.

also, as your truck gets older, the number of tools and spare parts necessary increases greatly.

corax
11-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Last year I replaced my transmission using only the contents of my tool kit & 2 ratchet straps to lower it. My entire tool kit fits into a small bag and only weighs a few pounds, the pic below is pretty much the exact bag I use. 1 is for tools, the other is for things like spare nuts/bolts, rescue tape, duct tape, wire ties, ect.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZVF1E7RQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In it I have the basics that I would need to fix most anything well enough to get home or back to civilization: Sears 3/8" drive metric deep & shallow sockets w/ 3"/6"/9" extensions, a short and a longer flex head ratchet, HF open/closed end metric wrench set, #2 stubby & regular length phillips + plain screwdriver, test light, pliers, needle nose, channel lock, wire cutter, vise grip pliers
This is the same tool kit I take with whenever I go Junkyarding, and I haven't yet found a part that I couldn't get off.

Improvisation in the field with what you have is half the fun. Besides, without a level of uncertainty it's not really an adventure. One of my favorite quotes from Radiobaobab in the "Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa" (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa) trip report, "In short: we used everything we took and didn't miss anything we didn't take. Which does not mean we really 'needed' everything we took."

CJM
11-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Basic 3/8 metric set. I wouldnt spring for lowes, sears or such. Go to wallyworld and buy some stanley stuff or home depot and buy husky (same exact stuff). Ive carried the same stanley stuff for eons in my work box and besides wearing out ratchets (I use them alot) I never broke anything.

You can get alot done with 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 17. 19, 21 mm sizes. I prefer 1/4" sockets w/3/8 adapter as they can fit in some smaller spaces but also carry 3/8 as well. Biggest thing to have is deep and shallow sockets b/c you just never know. I would also toss in medium and larger vise grips, channel locks, needle nose and such pliers as well as a good set of screwdrivers (I like the kind that flip around and have 4 bits in them), as well as (didnt see it mentioned earlier) an assortment of fuses, connectors and a crimper with some wire just incase. I also carry a large flathead and a small 12" pry bar as well as a set of small picks and 2 large ones. Everything has come in handy at least once if not more. Id say my workbox weighs 20lbs. I have broken flambeau boxes already (plastic) so I swapped to an older craftsman metal box.

So far my roadbox has been used to do everything imaginable. I also carry a sears truck box like this: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-22inch-standard-truck-box/p-00965119000P?prdNo=23&blockNo=23&blockType=G23 I keep my 1/2 sockets in there along with a breaker bar. I also like to carry a piece of gas pipe I got from home depot to aid as a cheater bar. 18" and 12". VERY handy. Course I also have a cordless snap on impact gun and 12v charger so alot of roadaside repairs are ez lol.

But generally those tools have worked for me time and time again.

fenrisx
11-22-2012, 11:19 AM
This reminds me.. I do have a Lowe's gift card and need some jack stands. ;0

On topic... I don't carry tools in my truck. I probably should if I'm going on a trip somewhere other than work, but I'm usually within close distance of family, friends, or a tow truck.

YotaFun
11-22-2012, 07:24 PM
I have this exact kit in my truck:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-260-pc-mechanics-tool-set-with-3/p-00936260000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

I will be changing it out once I get a rear storage unit built, but pretty much even with that kit when I go on a trip I bring extra tools, enough to pull the diffs, axles, and heck do a timing belt if I really had to...

fenrisx
11-22-2012, 09:26 PM
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-260-pc-mechanics-tool-set-with-3/p-00936260000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

I will be changing it out once I get a rear storage unit built, but pretty much even with that kit when I go on a trip I bring extra tools, enough to pull the diffs, axles, and heck do a timing belt if I really had to...

That's more than I have in the garage. :)

Crinale
11-29-2012, 02:42 PM

That's very close to my main tool kit.. Mine had red drawers though and is like 5 or 6 years old so I'm not sure how many pieces it came with. It is actually in my truck currently too.

YotaFun
11-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Kevin so did mine, but I guess they changed the color.
The plastic holding tabs eventually broke so I got a craftsmen metal tool box to hold them all