PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy, or is my truck broken

Marc P
04-25-2007, 03:41 PM
have been dealing with a vibration in the rear of my SAS'd 95 4runner for a while now. Today I took the rear driveshaft off to help diagnose the vibration. Much to my suprise the truck will not move. I engaged the hubs, and have no movement at the front driveshaft. If I unlock the hubs the front driveshaft spins at the same speed as the rear flange.

The 4 wheel drive has been working fine...I used it a couple weeks ago. I also manually shifted the linkage to be sure.

The ADD has been gone for a year..since the SAS

I am just wondering if the tranfercase has some sort of load sensing clutch or limited slip?

I changed the fluid in my T-case and topped off to the proper level, and trans fluid is good. The drain plug magnet was clean. I also checked the linkage. Tried it again today and was able to move slowly in drive/4 hi, but the engine was revving and there was no torque from the front wheels. In reverse or 4lo it would not move.

I then replaced the rear driveshaft and the truck sure acted like it was in 4wd??

I am at a loss.

bamachem
04-25-2007, 04:48 PM
it sounds like the XF case isn't locking the front and rear output shafts together for some reason...

Marc P
04-25-2007, 04:54 PM
It is strange...when put in 4wd with both driveshafts everything seems golden :confused:

YotaJunky
04-25-2007, 08:22 PM
That is strange. I had my rear drive shaft off a couple of days ago to deal with a u-joint replacement. I also ran it in 4WD with the front hubs locked. No problem at all running the truck without the rear driveshaft. It sounds like either the hubs aren't engaging or there is something not working properly with your transfer case.

Troy

Marc P
04-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Good thinking about checking the hubs :thumbup:

I will get it on a rack at work and have someone help me test things.

Robinhood4x4
04-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Did you figure it out?

Marc P
04-29-2007, 10:01 AM
I had it on a rack at work yesterday..it is not a t-case problem. I think it may be a problem with the hubs. When in 4wd I can stop the front wheels with my hands. I will take the hubs off and check things out when I have some time.

I am glad its not my t-case. I can deal with front axle issues, but was really worried about dealing with an internal t-case issue.

I guess it may be time to get my e-locker ready for install!!

Cheese
04-29-2007, 12:57 PM
With an open diff, you ought to be able to stop the front wheel with your hands if it is on the rack. Then the other one should start spinning.

This is odd in general.

Marc P
04-29-2007, 05:12 PM
Something just doesnt feel right up in front. If I unlock one side shouldnt the other side get all the power? I think for some reason the hubs aren't engaging all the way.

Marc P
04-29-2007, 06:46 PM
One positive note....my driveline vibrations are gone now. I had my front are rear driveshaft yokes switched, and rebalanced.

DirToyBoy
05-04-2007, 08:06 PM
sounds like a hub problem..check the pawl springs on your hubs

Marc P
05-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Last night I got my new issue of Toyota 4wd owner...and whats in it? an article about Hub Tech....just what I needed.

I took my hubs apart this morning and found waayy too much grease. I took them apart and cleaned them up.

Now my 4x4 is working....I love easy fixes!!!

Osiris
05-09-2007, 09:11 AM
perhaps it is your budbuilt low profile cross member and you should remove it immediately and send it to VA at once!!

Marc P
05-10-2007, 09:42 PM
It wont come off ....used Loctite...sorry

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p361bf0050cb89f9621681572789e9576/ea470139.jpg

Osiris
05-11-2007, 04:54 AM
That is awesome. What kind of SAS did you use? Is there only one or did you get a front axle from a donor and rebuild it to put it on?