PDA

View Full Version : Sea Foam GOOD? BAD?

NGA CRAWLER
04-25-2007, 09:15 PM
I just wanted to know everyones opinion about sea foam and what good or bad came of using this product, and what other products have any of you used that would help the life of your rig.
Thanks Miles

Seanz0rz
04-25-2007, 09:16 PM
i have yet to use it on my truck, that is probably next weekend or something, but i used it on my honda, helped ALOT. so much smoke poured out. i need to put it in the next tank of gas

humanoid
04-26-2007, 12:06 AM
I've used it on my '99 Taco, will get some more and use it on my dad's '97 Taco.

Euphorickaty80
04-26-2007, 06:03 AM
Used it on our van after we got it....it had been sitting for over a year with the same gas in it and was running miserably. After a new tank of gas and some seafoam it rus like a dream....I would definitely use it again!

amgraham
04-26-2007, 06:40 AM
I run it through just about everything we get. The only things I don't run it through are the newer vehicles (e.g. an 02 Altima 3.5 we just got). I use BG 44K exclusively in those. 44K is another great product though.. I generally use Seafoam and then put a can of 44K in the tank.

MTL_4runner
04-26-2007, 08:29 AM
I'd definately use Seafoam myself on all my vehicles.
I've used BG44K as well and it works great too, but Seafoam is very cheap comparatively.

NGA CRAWLER
04-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Where exactly do youi put seafoam in? I put some in my 97 4runner's gas tamnk yesterday but I want to try to put it through the engine. pcv? brakebooster? Can someone show me a picture? I also want to use it in my 84 but am not sure where to run it through the engine? Carb?

MTL_4runner
04-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Where exactly do youi put seafoam in? I put some in my 97 4runner's gas tamnk yesterday but I want to try to put it through the engine. pcv? brakebooster? Can someone show me a picture? I also want to use it in my 84 but am not sure where to run it through the engine? Carb?

Here's a good thread on it and we also have it in the Wiki too.
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=317

I've been using 3 cans in 1/2 tank of gas first then direct in the engine after.

NGA CRAWLER
04-26-2007, 12:25 PM
That helps a lot! Thanks Jamie. I already did 2 cans in the gas with 1/2 a tank then I will let it run almost empty and fill it with high octane gas run that through and then put it straight into the intake via pcv hose.

97t4rnr
04-26-2007, 01:04 PM
I used it on my 97 4Runner and my dads 97 4Runner, didn't notice any improvement, even though most everyone else does. Anyway, if it started running really bad, I might try it again.

MTL_4runner
04-26-2007, 02:27 PM
I used it on my 97 4Runner and my dads 97 4Runner, didn't notice any improvement, even though most everyone else does. Anyway, if it started running really bad, I might try it again.

Do you guys run premium fuel? What brand?
How much Seafoam did you use and what did you do with it?
Did you track your fuel mileage before and after?

NGA CRAWLER
04-26-2007, 06:21 PM
I actually run what the yota calls for. Regular Unleaded. I need to start running Cheveron only in my engines But is there a better brand than that? I heard it was a waist to run with a higher octane. Is this true?

Seanz0rz
04-26-2007, 06:24 PM
afterwards you may want to change out your sparkplugs, as the breakup of all that carbon build up may foul your plugs

NGA CRAWLER
04-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah I was going to do all of this and then change my oil,plugs,wires etc...so you are saying that it will smoke a lot when I crank it?

97t4rnr
04-28-2007, 08:55 PM

Do you guys run premium fuel? What brand?
How much Seafoam did you use and what did you do with it?
Did you track your fuel mileage before and after?

I run regular unleaded, as does my dad.
I followed the directions on the can. Had the predicted white smoke and near stall with 2nd round. Also added a can to the gas tank. Did start easier, but no improvement in mileage.
As for tracking mileage, I track it at every fill up. I typically fill up with Chevron or Marathon stations.

MTL_4runner
04-29-2007, 08:20 AM
I heard it was a waste to run with a higher octane. Is this true?

Not entirely. There are a few brands which run additive cleaners in their gas and thus they add progressively more cleaner the higher the octane goes. The cleaner and octane are added to the gas as it is pumped into the main tank at the gas station (the trucks don't have seperate compartments for each type of gas, instead they mix it onsite depending on the grade needed). Just because you have a higher octane rating also doesn't mean you have more cleaners in the gas.

MTL_4runner
04-29-2007, 08:22 AM
I run regular unleaded, as does my dad. I followed the directions on the can. Had the predicted white smoke and near stall with 2nd round. Also added a can to the gas tank. Did start easier, but no improvement in mileage. As for tracking mileage, I track it at every fill up. I typically fill up with Chevron or Marathon stations.

It is possible your engine may already be clean thus no improvement was seen. Chevron gas especially is known for having additional cleaners added to the gas. If you're getting 21-23 MPG highway, you're probably running as efficiently as you could and your engine is probably quite clean.

partsman93274
10-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Putting high octane fuel in a non hi-performance engine is a waste of money. The more octane a fuel has means that it is much harder to burn to release the energy contained in it. This is why higher octane fuels are used in race engines and piston engine aircraft. A standard 22re is not going to run any better on high octane fuel unless you have raised the compression ratio by head work or other engine power adders. I have worked in the automotive industry for over 12 years and read many articles on this debate to all of which show carbon fouled spark plugs from incomplete burn on a basic engine. Sorry for the rambling, just hear this alot and want to put in my 2 cents.

mastacox
10-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Putting high octane fuel in a non hi-performance engine is a waste of money. The more octane a fuel has means that it is much harder to burn to release the energy contained in it. This is why higher octane fuels are used in race engines and piston engine aircraft.

It's true that most "regular" engines probably can't take advantage of high-octane fuel, but your description of why that is not particularly accurate. An octane rating is a rating of how resistant a fuel is to pre-ignition brought on by heated compressed air. Higher octane fuels auto-ignite at higher temperatures, meaning that using a higher octane fuel allows for a higher compression ratio in an engine or forced induction. "How hard it is to burn" is somewhat simplistic, because low and high octane fuels are quite easy to ignite with a spark plug.

A standard 22re is not going to run any better on high octane fuel unless you have raised the compression ratio by head work or other engine power adders.

True, because a higher compression ratio allows for a more efficient burn (and more power), but also requires a higher octane fuel so the engine doesn't have problems with pre-ignition.

I have worked in the automotive industry for over 12 years and read many articles on this debate to all of which show carbon fouled spark plugs from incomplete burn on a basic engine.

Premium fuel will not cause sparks plugs to foul in an engine that doesn't need it. All it will do is lighten your wallet more than necessary.