PDA

View Full Version : 99 Front Coils With Daystar 2.5" Spacers?

emptypockets
04-26-2007, 11:24 AM
Over the past few months, I've been doing a lot of research on front lift options. Cost is certainly a factor, which rules out coilovers. It looks like the OME 3" kit is really a 1.5" spring and 1.5" spacer, which doesn't appeal to me. The Tundra is one option I'm also considering but I'm looking for a true 3" front lift.

One idea I've had is using the longer 99 front coils with the 2.5" Daystar spacers I already have. I found a great deal on some used coils, so I could do the entire setup for under $100 bucks! I've read the 99 coils will give ~1" more lift than the stock 02's I'm using now. Has that been everyone's experience? Would the 99's work with 2.5" Daystars? Thanks for your help!

MTL_4runner
04-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Are you really sure you want a full 3+ inches of lift up front on your IFS?
If you want 285s on there, then you'd be better off with the Tundra coils and a 1-2" body lift IMHO.

The 99 coils will work with the spacers though (as will your stock coils).

Lee
04-26-2007, 03:13 PM
go for it. if your cv's take an extreme angle (i doubt they will) then swap back to your stock coils and sell the 99's.

the 99's are a little bit of hype as i am sure they have sunk a bit, but 01's and 02's sit lower so regardless they will provide more lift than your stockers will.

imo, id do a 2" spacer and a 1" BL, thats what i have.

what are you doing for the rear lift? i cant say enough good things about my ome 891's.

emptypockets
04-27-2007, 05:11 AM
Right now, I'm running LC coils in the rear. The front looked great at first, but the stock springs have sagged and I'm probably only getting ~2" of lift in the front at most with the 2.5" Daystars. By doing the 99 coils, I thought I'd add somewhere around 1" over what I've got now, which would be 3" total, or something close. Thanks for the input so far.

MTL_4runner
04-27-2007, 05:36 AM
Right now, I'm running LC coils in the rear. The front looked great at first, but the stock springs have sagged and I'm probably only getting ~2" of lift in the front at most with the 2.5" Daystars. By doing the 99 coils, I thought I'd add somewhere around 1" over what I've got now, which would be 3" total, or something close. Thanks for the input so far.

The reason why the springs are sagging is because of the extra force needed to hold the suspension parts towards the end of their travel instead of in the middle as it would be with stock geometry. The higher you go the stronger (stiffer) the springs need to be to prevent the sagging issue. That's why I was mentioning the Tundra springs instead of the stock 99 coils. Just my $0.02 anyway.

emptypockets
04-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the input Jamie. Since I've already got the Daystars, could I use them with the Tundra coils or would that be too much lift?

MTL_4runner
04-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the input Jamie. Since I've already got the Daystars, could I use them with the Tundra coils or would that be too much lift?

I think they're going to be too much, but maybe Bamachem might want to comment as well. You could always get the Tundra springs and try them. If they don't work out, just sell the spacers or get them modified to the proper height.