PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Lexus CT facelift is...

Good Times
11-21-2013, 07:43 PM
http://hss-prod.hss.aol.com/hss/storage/adam/625a7d4c436b4b36f3c16bbcb1201d03/2014-lexus-ct-200h.jpg

much to be desired. I'm just not digging this one. I like the fact that it's a wagon but sadly it's just too small inside. Great styling overall but the front just doesn't match the lines w/ the rest of the car.

4x4mike
11-21-2013, 09:36 PM
I agree, at least from that angle. Lexus does seem to be sticking to that grille outline which I think can look better, at least the upper portion, than the Ford catfish mouth. The front doesn't seem to match the rest of the vehicle.

For how few wagons are out there they are looking pretty bulbous. The Outbacks are also disproportionate and look like a long Ford Escape from a few years back.

Seanz0rz
11-21-2013, 09:58 PM
I really don't care for the hour glass grill. Overall, I'm completely bored with Lexus, any Toyota for that matter. Except the FRS.

YotaFun
11-22-2013, 07:46 AM
I guess I am the odd man out here, I kinda dig the new look.
The hour glass works on some of the models and not others (it looks awful on the RX in my opinion)

Lexus is trying to do what all other luxury car manufactures have done and brand there front end design to all look similar throughout the product line.

4x4mike
11-22-2013, 07:52 AM
^Yes.

My sister and her husband bought an IS350 last year and it's very fun to drive. I've only flogged it around some back streets a couple times but it was very active and comfortable. Granted it was brand new but it was fun to flog my kid sisters car with her flopping around in the back.

Good Times
11-22-2013, 11:08 AM
even though I'm not digging the facelift on the CT, I do love the new styling of the ES / GS and IS model. I wouldn't mind driving any one of those vehicles. :) go figure...

only if the CT was the size of the TSX and had the sexy lines of the GS then I'd be sold!

DHC6twinotter
11-22-2013, 05:21 PM
I don't mind the hour glass styling too much, although the front end of the IS with F Sport package is kinda ugly. I don't like the Nike swooshes below the headlights on the IS, but I like the car otherwise. The new GS and ES look really good. And I wish the GS were still available with a V8.

paddlenbike
11-23-2013, 08:40 AM
The CT was on our shopping list last year when we bought a car, but we never made it over to the dealership before we bought the Acura. Deep down, knowing it was a Prius underneath, I knew it wouldn't be fun to drive. The transition from electric to gas is okay, but the CVT transmissions are terrible. I will never get used to the sound of a little 4 cylinder buzzing at a constant 5000 RPMs while accelerating; makes it feel even slower than it is when the RPMs aren't increasing with speed.

I do like the redesign on the GS350, but somehow it doesn't quite look right on the hatchback CT. But it's not awful like the 2014 4Runner...I crossed the street in front of one the other day and it made me sick to my stomach.

Seanz0rz
11-23-2013, 11:00 AM
I think this design on the Lexus cars will stick around for a while, which I am disappointed with. Hopefully by the time the midcycles start rolling out, they refine it. I think it has the ability to look good, but to me it is to bold for the rest of the vehicle which IMO are bland or just OK. I think Lexus dumped a bunch of money into this, but even more than that, they are too stubborn to admit that it could look alot better. Toyota will do the same with the 4Runner to a lesser degree. When we see the new model in 3 - 5 years, that ugly front will be gone, and hopefully replaced by something much more handsome.

Unlike Honda, who realized almost immediately that the 2012 Civic was a dog and sought to upgrade it immediately for '13 and further refine it in '14, Lexus just won't do that, and neither will Toyota. Honda made good to it's customers, said "my bad" and fixed their product. I am still not sold on it, but most people are: it outsold the Corolla.

YotaFun
11-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Ken, I got a chance to test drive a CT once, while the class of a hybrid is still in with the Prius, the CT just isn't...
The CT is so much more fun to drive an a pleasure to be in over any Prius (except for maybe the Prius C which doing e-brake slides is awesome....)

The new 4Runner front end is growing a lot on me but again I am the odd ball out here lol.

I don't expect the 4Runner to get much better from here though, Jeep already has talks in the make for an IFS jeep wrangler, which may just be the future for all SUVs on the market...

paddlenbike
11-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Avy, are there mechanical differences between the CT and the Prius? I've always wondered. I love the way the older ones look; particularly the white ones with the graphite wheels.

I saw these hatchback Mercedes A250s last month when I was in Europe, and thought they were pretty cool. Kinda reminds me of the CT.

http://www.walldesktops.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Mercedes-Benz-56-315x200.jpg

toyotech
11-23-2013, 08:45 PM
its just a Hybrid Matrix. for the longest time i didnt know it was FWD lol
be cool if they did a IS350 wagon hybrid

YotaFun
11-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Keith will have to chime in on this if he is still lurking,
Mechanically the CT and Prius are the same, at least drive train wise, all else is different.
but when it comes to the drive train, I think the CT has a different program.

Seanz0rz
11-24-2013, 03:48 PM
I imagine CT has a much better tuned suspension, likely a different gear ratio (more "sporty" feel) and definately a different engine management program. I suspect that the regenerative braking is different as well.

paddlenbike
05-07-2014, 09:15 AM
My wife and I were interested in the CT200 F-Sport version when we were car shopping, beautiful car, but when I saw the redesigned one this morning I couldn't help but think the new front end is a major downgrade. What is Toyota thinking with all their new cars and trucks? Thankfully Subaru must be keeping Toyota in check with the Scion FRS, because it's their only good looking car.

Meanwhile, there are a lot of new cars coming out that I like. There wasn't a whole lot I was in love with in 2012 when we were shopping, but the new Hondas are gorgeous, the Accord sport is nice along with the 2 door and the Civic Si, the 2015 Subaru wrx, some of the latest Nissans and Fords, pretty much everyone but Toyota has something new that I like.

Sorry, just my bored rambling from jury duty... (still haven't been called).

Seanz0rz
05-07-2014, 11:48 AM
New Mazda 6 is nice. Wish they made a wagon. I also like the new Focus.

paddlenbike
05-07-2014, 12:59 PM
I forgot to mention the new Mazdas, we like those too.

Ooh, and Sean, they do make Mazda 6 wagons, just not here because apparently here in the U.S. we don't like wagons.

http://www.creativecrash.com/system/photos/000/247/702/247702/big/Mazda_6_Wagon_2013_0000.jpg?1348641838
The shape looks a lot like our TSX wagon, only with bolder wheels.

Seanz0rz
05-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Exactly Ken. That is an amazing looking vehicle, but instead we get the CX5 (which isn't bad but meh)

paddlenbike
05-07-2014, 10:11 PM
My sister has a manual trans Mazda 3, and it drives really nice. Much sportier than the competing Corolla, Focus or even the Civic, although probably not to Civic Si level.

The only thing that might hold me back on a new Mazda is direct injection. But I'm guessing they all have it by now.

DHC6twinotter
05-09-2014, 07:49 PM
If the Mazda 6 diesel ever makes it, I'd be tempted to buy one as a DD. The new Subarus are really nice too, except for the stupid CVTs.

As for new Toyotas, the new 2015 Camry looks really good, but I'm already bored with the new Corolla. The LED headlights are awesome though. The Avalon is a gorgeous car, at least to me anyways. I actually really like the Toyota Venza, but I wish it had better fuel economy.

Seanz0rz
05-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Subaru has just about everything I want in a vehicle except that stupid CVT. I will not purchase one.

The Skyactive D looks like it's going to be a winner, and I suspect they will bring it state side just for the CAFE numbers. I also really like that i-Eloop or whatever their capacitor kit is called. It charges during deceleration (I think from the alternator) and then it is used to power the vehicle while the alternator is decoupled from the engine (like an AC clutch). Sounds like it works pretty darn well, too.

corax
05-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Meh, in regards to most of the previous conversion in this thread, I just can't get excited about much that has been offered in the last 15 years. Nice vehicles for sure, but so beige, although I do like the new dash layout on the very brand-spanking new is250/350 (clicky (http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/gallery/))

Working at the dealership, I've driven just about every Lexus model. My favorites? is300 and the old sc400 (even though it weighed a metric shit-ton). Favorite hybrid? The GS450h is an absolute rocket, they didn't make a V8 hybrid to save fuel, but rather to get that off-the-line instant torque that electric motors are good for.

My sister has a manual trans Mazda 3, and it drives really nice. Much sportier than the competing Corolla, Focus or even the Civic, although probably not to Civic Si level.

The only thing that might hold me back on a new Mazda is direct injection. But I'm guessing they all have it by now.

I would love me some Mazda Speed 3 - got to drive one that was traded at work, and can say it seemed like it would be fun to flog on.

paddlenbike
09-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Toyota does it again with the ugly styling. Here is the new Prius, straight from Toyota's own website.

http://www.toyota.com/content/vehicle-landing/upcoming-vehicles/prius/full/PRS_MY16_0064_V001.jpg

http://www.toyota.com/content/vehicle-landing/upcoming-vehicles/prius/full/PRS_MY16_0065_V001.jpg

Is it just me, or is this absolutely hideous? It looks terrible from every angle. Every proportion is just wrong.

Seanz0rz
09-10-2015, 04:49 AM
By far the ugliest new car this year.

04 Rocko Taco
09-10-2015, 06:13 AM
All I can think.

Robinhood4x4
09-10-2015, 06:16 AM
That's what I thought too. Why does toyota insist on uglifying everything.

paddlenbike
09-10-2015, 07:32 AM
That's what I thought too. Why does toyota insist on uglifying everything.

It really makes you wonder how these design ideas even make it past the first drawing. No doubt there is a huge team of designers, engineers and overseeing managers working on this, so it's not like this is a result of just one guy with terrible taste...

Kryptoroxx
09-10-2015, 06:32 PM
I often wondered what one of my turds would look like in blue.....

The only reason I can think this would get passed is it tested well in the wind tunnel and even that's pretty weak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Robinhood4x4
09-10-2015, 07:57 PM
It really makes you wonder how these design ideas even make it past the first drawing. No doubt there is a huge team of designers, engineers and overseeing managers working on this, so it's not like this is a result of just one guy with terrible taste...

Are you sure? I saw the simpsons...

It's probably design by committee.

4x4mike
09-11-2015, 07:05 AM
Are you sure? I saw the simpsons...

The result. Great episode.
http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/homer2.jpg

YotaFun
09-18-2015, 08:14 PM
The new Prius is god awful...
And much of anything else on the Toyota/Lexus/Scion line.

Working at Carmax has opened my eyes to all the other manufactures.
I can say a Toyota will not be my next new car purchase, if anything I'll get another 3rd gen, or a Jeep Cherokee (Pre 98), or a Volvo XC70 (Pre 07), or Infinity FX35 (Pre 06)... lol

As far as design, I am sure it has something to do with today's generation, trying to appeal to the 'younger' crowd or some bs like that.

paddlenbike
09-18-2015, 10:07 PM
I will be buying all EVs from here on, but if I were in the market for a vehicle from the ICE age (Internal Combustion Engine), it would likely be a Ford or Honda product. I still shop for 3rd gens on Craigslist and I'm not quite sure why. I guess I want MOAR.