PDA

View Full Version : Parting out 2002 4Runner SR5 4WD | Los Angeles, CA

calrockx
12-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Hi UltimateYota, it's calrockx. And it's been a while.

Well, I've never parted out a vehicle before and I'm really not eager about spending much time on this. But I figured I've give this a quick shot and maybe something will work out.

A mysterious engine fire put out my 4Runner today. The rest of the vehicle (well, from behind the engine compartment back) is in good shape, so there are some goods that may serve others well.

Here's a list of the mods:
http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthread.php?274-calrockx-s-2002-4Runner

Here's how it looks today:
http://i.imgur.com/siZNgEm.jpg?1

So, um....who wants what? Pick a part, name a fair price.
ALL ITEMS FOR PICK UP IN LOS ANGELES.

If nothing sells, eh. I'm set to just dump this off and be done with it.

Good Times
12-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Charles, sorry for your loss. Bruce called me yesterday and told me right after you called him to tell him about the bummer news.

Part that rear bumper! I know everyone will want a BruceTS 3rd gen rear bumper. Are the wheels and tires salvageable? if so I'm interested in swapping my stock 4runner wheels for yours.

Part the skids too!

I'm assuming the warn m8000 winch and lighforce lights are dead right?

Seanz0rz
12-15-2013, 11:29 AM
I want the center console maybe. Well talk when I'm not on a phone!

So bummed about your truck!

calrockx
12-15-2013, 12:26 PM
The winch actually looks okay...aside form the wires to the battery obviously. The Lightforce lights are goners.

I actually have to figure out how this works with insurance and all, I don't know if there may be issues on getting the value for it in addition to parting things out. I'll talk to the adjuster tomorrow.

DHC6twinotter
12-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Wow…bummer about your 4Runner.

What color is the interior? If it's tan, I'd be interested in the rear hatch trim panel and rear cubby door. If you have the factory floor mats in the front, I'd be interested in those as well.

Edit: I'd be interested in the cargo cover too.

4x4mike
12-15-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm looking for things like after market floor mats and seat covers.

Also, do you have a rear spoiler on the hatch? If so I'm interested.

Sorry for your loss, by the looks of it the fire was put out pretty quick.

calrockx
12-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Light gray interior.

All-weather rubber floor mats. The driver one is pretty worn, but the others are in good shape.

The rear spoiler? (this one http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com/masterimg/1578%20rearwind3.gif) Yep, got that.

Seanz0rz
12-15-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm really after a tan console, but if the price is right I'll take the gray. Keep us informed if you do part it out. I might be interested in some other items as well.

DHC6twinotter
12-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Bummer…wish it were tan.

Which Demello sliders do you have, and are they bolted or welded on?

If I had a job, I'd fight Lance for the wheels. :D

Marc P
12-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Man what a bummer! Hope it works out in your favor.

calrockx
12-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Which Demello sliders do you have, and are they bolted or welded on?

Good question on which...um...old? Round, no kick-outs if that's what you're wondering. Angled slightly up. Welded.

Bob98SR5
12-15-2013, 09:21 PM
chuck,

didn't know you were back in LA. bummer about the truck!

calrockx
12-15-2013, 11:44 PM
chuck,

didn't know you were back in LA. bummer about the truck!

Yep, been back since grad school in 2011 and now the working life in Santa Monica.
Indeed, that's now how it was supposed to end!

4x4mike
12-16-2013, 08:07 AM
PM inbound.

YotaFun
12-16-2013, 03:04 PM
::GASP:: that so sucks dude. I loved this truck, I think I still have pics of it around somewhere.
Any plans to get another one or is the wheelin life done for you?

I wish I was closer I would take that rear bumper!

calrockx
12-16-2013, 03:19 PM
::GASP:: that so sucks dude. I loved this truck, I think I still have pics of it around somewhere.
Any plans to get another one or is the wheelin life done for you?

I wish I was closer I would take that rear bumper!

My heart wants another 4Runner (5th gen), but head wants a Prius. I'm compromising with a Subaru XV Hybrid. They're pretty nice.
Down the line I'd like to get another 4Runner.

YotaFun
12-16-2013, 03:50 PM
My heart wants another 4Runner (5th gen), but head wants a Prius. I'm compromising with a Subaru XV Hybrid. They're pretty nice.
Down the line I'd like to get another 4Runner.

5ths gens are sweet, if you're ever in the market for one again shoot for a 2011, they got all the kinks out by then.
Nothing wrong with a Prius, I myself have been contemplating on getting either the Prius C or the Prius V.
I have seen the XV here and there, how do you like it?

PS Sorry for the thread hijack...

paddlenbike
12-16-2013, 04:46 PM
That's a serious bummer Charles. I remember meeting you back in 2005 on my first 'real' wheeling trip with my 4Runner. I've always thought your 4Runner was very tastefully built.

Hope you find another set of wheels you like.
Ken

calrockx
12-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Okay, the insurance person is checking it out on Wednesday and I have to make sure I *can* sell these parts and still get the value of the vehicle from my insurance company. So there's a little bit of a hold on all this at the moment, but assuming everything clears okay, I'll open up the parting business ASAP.

calrockx
12-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Also, I'd like to add I like the new lighter color scheme for this site (ahem, something I suggested in 2007 :) )
No more "Logo Master" title under my name, but aye, so it goes.

05sport4x4
12-16-2013, 05:31 PM
If Good Times is not interested in the tires and wheels then I am depending on the wear.

Thanks,
John

I like how the site calls me a spammer? Not a spammer just do not post a lot (same user name on Toyota120; 04sport4x4 on Yotatech ).

troyboy162
12-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Interested in the rims as well. I can also give you 4 3 spoke rims with 315 rollers

04 Rocko Taco
12-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Absolutely hate to see this brother! I love this rig, and always thought it was a good looking ride. How 'mysterious' is this engine fire? No idea what happened?
How toast is it really? Maybe here in the south we are just a little more easy going, or just a little more red on our necks... but if it were me, I'd likely purchase it back from insurance for pennies on the dollar and swap a new motor into it. Wheel the piss out of it...

Also, I'd like to add I like the new lighter color scheme for this site (ahem, something I suggested in 2007 :) )
No more "Logo Master" title under my name, but aye, so it goes.

I like how the site calls me a spammer? Not a spammer just do not post a lot (same user name on Toyota120; 04sport4x4 on Yotatech ).

Just as an aside - The new colors came with the swap to vB. And the user titles changed as well. Spammer? is for anyone with less than.... I forgot the exact number of posts, but it goes away pretty quickly. Its just to help us staff out, and is always a little funny.

calrockx
12-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Okay, talked to the insurance company today. Nothing is finalized, but it looks like if I'm going to remove a part from the vehicle to sell, it'll then have to be replaced with a stock part.

So if I get rid of the wheels, some wheels will have to be put back on. I'm not sure if other aftermarket wheels will count.

I'd really like to see the remaining good parts (namely the wheels and rear bumper) live on in another vehicle, so I'll be pushing for that. But to those interested in local parts for pick-up, we may need to do a trade.

Good Times
12-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Charles, I've got stock wheels if you need em. :)

John, good to see ya buddy! All new users with less than 5 posts are flagged as "spammer?" so I can easily identify who's new here and make sure you're not a "spammer". :) It's my ghetto way to weed out the newbies!

4x4mike
12-17-2013, 08:48 PM
I've got some '99-'00 tail lights I can trade for some '01 -'02 ones.

Do you know how the after market add ons were counted in the value?

05sport4x4
12-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Hi Lance, I assumed that and was just trying to be funny. By the way I still have your Yakima bike racks and load bars.

I do not have any wheels/tires to swap with.

John, good to see ya buddy! All new users with less than 5 posts are flagged as "spammer?" so I can easily identify who's new here and make sure you're not a "spammer". :) It's my ghetto way to weed out the newbies!

Good Times
12-18-2013, 10:24 PM
Good see ya John! I'll have to come by one of these days to grab em. I totally forgot about em! doh! Ya still live on the other side of the hill? I've moved but can definitely meet up with ya one of these days.

Charles, shooting ya an email shortly.

Bob98SR5
01-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Hey Chuck,

Are you willing to part out the rear air ducts behind your center radio console? I'm interested in doing the 98 to 99 center radio console swap. Email me at bobkim AT 4runners dot org

4x4mike
01-02-2014, 10:43 AM
I was wondering what the status was on this 4Runner.

How did it work out with the insurance company?

Parting it out?

calrockx
01-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Okay, I'm think I'm ready to move forward with some parts trading.

My 4Runner is in a yard in North Hollywood. That's where this would have to take place, and to make things convenient, they're only open M-F, something like 8am-4pm.

SO...if you would like something off my 4Runner and have stock parts to put in its place, let's schedule a time for later this week.

Lance...those wheels have your name on them.

Seanz0rz
01-07-2014, 05:09 PM
I guess I could trade my stock console for yours? I still have it.

edit, nevermind. ebrake wont fit.

Good Times
01-08-2014, 09:12 AM
Charles... email inbound!

BattleWagonActual
01-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Is anything still available? PM sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calrockx
02-26-2014, 03:45 PM
Update!
Just got an email, the 4Runner is off hold now. I've got until the end of next week to take care of parts swapping.

So I'm shooting for Friday afternoon, March 7. Say...2:30pm. It's at a yard in North Hollywood. (exact time and address coming soon).

SO..if you're still interested in parts, I need you to be able to do two things:
1) For whatever part(s) you take, put back on the stock (or close) equivalent.
2) Meet me on 3/7 in North Hollywood.

A reminder on what's on this thing: http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthread.php?274-calrockx-s-2002-4Runner (obviously some parts are a bit, um, crispy)

Right now, here's who I have confirmed:

wheels & tires — Bruce TS

Seanz0rz
02-26-2014, 03:56 PM
Good to hear that Bruce is still collecting wheels!!! Tell him hi from us!

Still wish I could grab that console! No money and nothing to swap in that would fit pretty well crushes that idea.

Good luck with it all!

Kryptoroxx
03-01-2014, 01:11 PM
I've got a 4runner with too many stock parts lol. I should be there

smartphone spell check in effect

BattleWagonActual
03-01-2014, 01:29 PM
I'll more than likely be right there with Kryptorpxx granted, I get out of work early enough.

expatoz
03-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Geez Charles. Serious bummer! Hope you come out ahead somehow!

Just bought son a '96 today. Pretty stock. Need parts. Should be able to meet up in NoHo Friday. Will pm ya.

Regards
Mark

expatoz
03-04-2014, 12:17 AM
Charles - r u getting my pm's? They are not showing up in my sent folder...

expatoz
03-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Does anyone know if this is still happening Friday? Details?

Kryptoroxx
03-06-2014, 04:16 AM
I don't but I cant make it anyway. Its sad but all I really wanted were the belly pans.

smartphone spell check in effect

calrockx
03-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Just replied to a expatoz's PM about this. I'm not 100% my PMs are sending out...

Still on for tomorrow at 2:30pm in North Hollywood

BattleWagonActual
03-06-2014, 11:17 AM
I don't think I'll make it out, I won't be done with work in time.

calrockx
03-06-2014, 11:22 AM
I know, their hours suck. They're only open weekdays and close at 4:30.

expatoz
03-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Charles - I responded to your pm.

I forgot to add:

Depending upon pricing, I'd like to get
- Front and rear suspension
- Sliders
- Front and Rear bumpers
- Skid plates
- Wheels and tires if Bruce doesn't want

I can be at the yard at 3pm or thereabouts.

Not sure exactly how to get all this stuff off in 1.5 hrs tho! Maybe I need to gather a team!

calrockx
03-06-2014, 03:46 PM
Any part, as long as it's in good condition and can be replaced, is available.

But one little catch is this place closes at 4:30. There may bit of flex there if we're in the middle of something, but the point is we should work quickly.

Pretty sure the wheels and tires are going to Bruce, but you're next in line, Mark, if that somehow falls through.

expatoz
03-06-2014, 11:28 PM
I've pm'd you Charles but after wrestling with the rear shocks for the better part of two hours tonight (and losing! what a bitch setup!) I won't be coming tomorrow. I need to get a deep socket to get that bloody top nut off before I could exchange with yours so with the deadline, its not gunna happen. Sorry bro. I would have loved a full day to pull sons truck apart and swap with your stuff but...oh well. Thanks for the offer anyhow.

Cheers
Mark

Seanz0rz
03-06-2014, 11:31 PM
Mark, if you need a hand in the future, let me know. If you aren't too far away, it would be a fun wrenching party. I'm also pretty good at playing armchair mechanic.

calrockx
03-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Sorry it won't work out Mark.
I'll ask about the auction, and beyond that I'll ask if the truck will be there for a while longer past tomorrow. If it's possible for me to authorize you to go over there and go to town on it, that could be something.

expatoz
03-06-2014, 11:44 PM
Mark, if you need a hand in the future, let me know. If you aren't too far away, it would be a fun wrenching party. I'm also pretty good at playing armchair mechanic.

Thanks for the offer Sean. That's very nice of you! I'm in Huntington Beach.

expatoz
03-06-2014, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=calrockx;110609]Sorry it won't work out Mark.
I'll ask about the auction, and beyond that I'll ask if the truck will be there for a while longer past tomorrow. If it's possible for me to authorize you to go over there and go to town on it, that could be something.[/QUOTE}

Thx Charles. Keep me posted :)

calrockx
03-07-2014, 10:20 AM
And Mark, yeah I know that top nut/rear shocks are a pain to work on. If I didn't have my body lift, I don't know how I would have replaced the shocks on my own a few years ago.

Seanz0rz
03-07-2014, 10:28 AM
I found a ratcheting wrench is the best way to get those off, but you really need to soak them in PB blaster for a while first.

HB is quite far from me, but if I do make it down that far I'll go yell at lance and grab a beer with JD. lol.