PDA

View Full Version : Aussie in the Front - Question

91ToyTrck
04-26-2007, 06:19 PM
I was thinking while disgusing the purchase on my Lockrite ... the purchase of an Aussie for the front of my truck. I have heard great things about both products and I could probably wait to buy the Aussie for the rear as well. Here's my questions:

What are pros and cons of a locker (aussie) in the front IFS ?
Will I be able to drive in the snow?
Is there anything different that needs to be done when engaging 4wd?
Should I purchase one at all for the front?

Should I wait for the Aussie to become available for the rear (v6 model) instead of purchasing the lockrite?

Thanks in Advanced
Chris

Robinhood4x4
04-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Bump for you.

Nothing different needs to be done to engage 4wd.
I'd recommend a front locker. Do you have manual hubs.

You should buy my arb. :D

d0ubledown
04-29-2007, 09:23 AM
if youre needing 4wd alot in the snow..id recommend a selectable. a bit more money but alot more locker. transparent when you dont need it, a flick of a switch away when you do. get robinhoods, already setup, and then all you need to worry about is air source (easey) and your rear locker. im pretty sure youre running stock gears..so hey..theres an excuse to regear! definitely have manual hubs if you plan on running a front autolocker like an aussie or lockrite

91ToyTrck
04-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Robinhood - What are you selling? If it's not to far out of my price range then I might be interested. I can check back here or PM me. I'm on almost all night at work. I just check in from time to time.

I do have manual hubs stock on my truck.

91ToyTrck
04-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Can some please explain how having a selectable locker is better for snow driving? I understand that they are better in general, but everyone always mentions about the snow.

If anyone know of any deals I'm all game, but it crazy to spend that much money for a brand name. They can't be $800 worth of that much complicated and hard to produce of a product.

91ToyTrck
05-01-2007, 03:33 PM
I was reading up and talking with some friends the other night and made mention of a good setup for someone in my position. I ws told a selectable in the rear (good mannors for daily driving and snow/ice) and LSD in the front (allows for traction but also more controll and less chance of breakage then a full out locker).

Any Truth?

amgraham
05-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Well, I plan to run an LSD up front whenever I can afford it. I'm on the side that thinks a full locker is too much stress up front on the IFS. The reason with all the snow scare with the auto lockers is they are unpredictable and having one up front makes it understeer (or not steer) big time in the snow. If you have a selectable you just switch it off and you have stock stability in the snow.

91_4x4runner
05-01-2007, 03:51 PM
The general consensus seems to be that a LSD does a lot more "slipping than locking." Might be a good alternative to a selectable, but I'd still rather have a full-fledged locker.

91ToyTrck
05-01-2007, 04:49 PM
I guess I could work on putting a selectable in the rear for now and worry about the rear later.

AMgraham - what do you have in the rear of your 4runner?

amgraham
05-01-2007, 07:22 PM
AMgraham - what do you have in the rear of your 4runner?

Aussie

Cheese
05-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Why is selectable better? Because you pick when it is locked. In a steering axle this is UBER important.

To generously practice what your life will be like driving in 4wd with a front locker, make every other turn that you want to. It sucks.

This means the trucks plows ahead when you want to turn, it means tight manuevers in 4wd can be kissed good bye.

Get a selectable front, your axles and the chance to steer will thank you.

Further, an LSD gives you only half the benefit of a front locker and all the drawbacks of crappy steering. A wheeling buddy used to have a TT, it worked well half the time. The other half we were aggravated. I traded a rear TT for an ARB. Currently another buddy is doing the same. There are selectable lockers and then there is everything else.

Robinhood4x4
05-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Robinhood - What are you selling? If it's not to far out of my price range then I might be interested. I can check back here or PM me. I'm on almost all night at work. I just check in from time to time.

I do have manual hubs stock on my truck.

Here you go.

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=220.0

slosurfer
05-01-2007, 10:51 PM
I still kick myself for not buying that when you lived so close.

91ToyTrck
05-03-2007, 07:53 PM
I would love to purchase an ARB, but I don't need 5.29s and I already have manual hubs factory. Wouldn't I just have to swap assemblies? Any chance of seperating? I might be interested.

Wouldn't it be better to have a locker in the rear vs front? If you could only afford one at thee time.

Anyone know any other great deals on selectable lockers new or used?

SLC97SR5
01-31-2008, 07:47 AM
I have a Tru Trac up front and it was a good deal at $100.00 However if I had payed full price and install it would have been an absolute waste of money.

An LSD does not help you do anything more difficult, it only makes doing what your truck would have done easier.

The TT is right up there with my 4.56 gears, a stupid, expensive new guy mistake.

Score an e-locker for the rear or wait on an Aussie and an ARB up front...or just stay open up front, you will be very impressed with what a locked axle can do.

AxleIke
01-31-2008, 08:24 AM
Old thread!!!!!!!!!!!!