PDA

View Full Version : Android app for music download

paddlenbike
03-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Can anyone recommend a good Android app for downloading music? (No/low cost option is best.) The music on my iPod is stale and quite frankly, BT streaming from my phone is so much easier anyway.

Seanz0rz
03-06-2014, 11:23 AM
I'm a huge fan of Pandora, and have honed many of my stations over the last 5 or 6 years, maybe longer. Works great except for off the grid trips. Then I use my usb stick full of my music, which is mostly OK still, some of it I am sick of though. Several people have recommended Spotify to me, but I have yet to try it out.

To buy songs, I use Amazon. They are (or were, it's been a while) just .mp3s, and you can put them anywhere, unlike iTunes. I believe them to be DRM free, but not sure. Price is comparable to iTunes, generally $0.99/song and some have an album price.

As for "free", there are always torrent sites, but that is illegal and you wouldn't do anything illegal. I belong to a couple that are invite only, and only for certain types of media that generally fall into grey areas. Don't ask for an invite because I don't have any.

Also, if you already have the CD's, rip them. Back in the day when I did my collection, I used CDEX, not sure if that is still around or even any good.

paddlenbike
03-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Thanks Sean. I am happy with sat radio and the occasional streaming of Pandora in our commuter cars, but I need a completely new selection of downloaded music for off-grid trips in the 4Runner. I will shy away from torrents but I thought there was a way to download music for free via an app that was self-deleting after 3 months (or something like that). Or was that one of those free music download/diesel manual trans 4Runner/camping with Maria Sharapova dreams?

4x4mike
03-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Those apps don't really exist anymore. Mp3 download is still around but gets bad reviews and I would be hesitant to put it on my phone. I have the old one and it still plays the songs I downloaded.

Seanz0rz
03-06-2014, 01:58 PM
The only Legit (and trusted) sources I am aware of are the streaming radios, Sat radio, and iTunes and Amazon. In the past, I have bought used CDs for a very discounted price, then ripped them. It is time consuming, but usually the programs are pretty good at grabbing the tags and autocomplete the information fields well enough.

Kryptoroxx
03-07-2014, 05:29 AM
I use the Pandora premier thing. I haven't bought a CD in forever. Doesn't seem like there is a whole lot of good albums. Plenty of good songs though. Other than that I have an ancient zune HD 64gb that still is my backup when I have no signal.

smartphone spell check in effect

Seanz0rz
03-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Look into Google Play Music (android and ios). It looks like you can play a playlist offline, I'm guessing it caches it to your phone. I haven't done much research on it, but it looks like it might work for you.