PDA

View Full Version : Rear Leaf Pack - Question

91ToyTrck
04-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Since I'm planning on keeping my suspension prodominately stock ... What should I do about my worn out rear springs? I'm worried that buying the Downey 2" or OME mediums is going to make her @$$ high because of lack of lift on the front. I was thinking of purchasing a stock set from Summit, but was hoping maybe yall would have a better idea.

I had mentioned the Deaver 3 leaf aal but no one responded to my thread. I know rearching, but they will still sag, but the place in town can do them and they add an extra leaf (removing the overload - I think) to help keep the springs arched. What about a shackle lift? Remember I'm buying a flip kit as well to go along with my shock mounts / \.

Suggestions?

Piett
04-30-2007, 11:55 PM
How about stock springs from a junkyard or parting out a rig? Or find someone who is replacing the stocks with lift springs.

These options ought to be cheap but any shipping would be a killer.

Geoff

fustercluck
05-01-2007, 05:48 AM
How about an add-a-leaf and a mild shackle lift?

91ToyTrck
05-01-2007, 07:16 AM
I was thinking about that but wasn't sure if it would still work well offroad. I know that the AAL stiffins up the leaf pack, but the shackle allows for more droop. I was looking into the Deaver 3 Leaf Pack, but couldn't get anyone to respond on it.

fustercluck
05-01-2007, 08:27 AM
I don't know anything about the deaver pack. What attracts you to that one?

amgraham
05-01-2007, 09:19 AM
I have a set of stock leafs out of a 3rd gen truck if you want to try them out with a set of AALs. I can't use them (wrong length) so they're just laying around. That way, if you mess them up you don't really loose anything and you can swap your stockers back in. Let me know if you want them and I will give you a holler next time I come that way.

shiftless89
05-01-2007, 03:23 PM
you can get the OME's in close to stock height then pull out a leaf to lower it some more. I'm basically stock (ome's in the rear and BJ spacers in the front) gives a small amount of lift, maybe 2 to 3 inches. and rides very well.

91ToyTrck
05-01-2007, 07:20 PM
I think your truck is awsome Shiftless! I told you that over on yotatech when we talked about a couple things regarding my truck. I should be ordering my rear bumper from Steve w/in the next month if everything goes as planned.

What model OME springs are you running again? I was thinking about some 2" springs, but if I'm planning on a rear bumper should I get the 3" instead? I'm sure a rear bumper would weigh down the springs some. Plus, when I have all my other gear or camping equipment.

snap-on
05-02-2007, 11:25 AM
did i miss what truck these were going in... i have OME packs in the rear of my truck and it sits great. I have a small crank up front so it sits level vs the old sagged out stock springs.

91ToyTrck
05-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Snap-on they are going on my '91 pickup extracab v6 5spd. I'm planning on purchasing a rear bumper soon and of course a spare, along with other essentials, would be in the bed when wheeling and/or camping. I just don't want her sitting @$$ high while I don't have the bumper or BJ Spaacers.

What's the different heights I can purchase OME springs? Do they sag quickly?

snap-on
05-03-2007, 12:35 PM
i think OME has stock, 2" over and an HD pack for carrying a topper.

the stock ones put me level with my small crank on the front. Ive had mine for gosh.... 3 years now? and hauld and towed many a load and still no sag with great ride (need new shocks though)

http://www.snjschmidt.com/pics/truck_load.jpg

i had the better part of 1500 lbs of busted up concreet in it a few weeks ago. no probs.

amgraham
05-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Goodness! Looks like I need to look at the OMEs for my 88 (it's sagging bad). Are those the HD ones or just the regular stock height ones?

shiftless89
05-03-2007, 03:28 PM
I think your truck is awsome Shiftless! I told you that over on yotatech when we talked about a couple things regarding my truck. I should be ordering my rear bumper from Steve w/in the next month if everything goes as planned.

What model OME springs are you running again? I was thinking about some 2" springs, but if I'm planning on a rear bumper should I get the 3" instead? I'm sure a rear bumper would weigh down the springs some. Plus, when I have all my other gear or camping equipment.

OME cs900r's i think was the number. I got them from jacque at TRDparts4u.com just make sure you get the bushings as well since the springs do not come with them.

good luck'
Mike

91ToyTrck
05-03-2007, 06:37 PM
I guess I willl be calling or writing to them and finding out the different types I can purchase. I was unaware they made a stock height spring. I've only seen the Medium and Heavy and then X-Leaf option for those that haul a lot.

How much over stock did you get out of your leafs Shiftless ?

91ToyTrck
05-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Snap-on ... What sliiders are you running? Do yyou happen to have the number for the stock springs?

I'm still thinking about the bj spacers, but I can't make up my mind.

tulsa_sr5
05-09-2007, 04:27 AM
Not sure about quality yet, but these guys have stock replacement springs, for a lot less than anywhere else I've found

http://www.generalspringkc.com/leaf_springs/toyota/89-84_pickup.html

I found them on pirate, and will probably try them out soon.

shiftless89
05-09-2007, 09:55 AM
I guess I willl be calling or writing to them and finding out the different types I can purchase. I was unaware they made a stock height spring. I've only seen the Medium and Heavy and then X-Leaf option for those that haul a lot.

How much over stock did you get out of your leafs Shiftless ?

sorry missed this. i think about 2.5 over stock. my stocks were so wore out they had a negative arch!

also check with steve on the sliders. he pm'd me about some new bolt on's for my 4 runner that i'm thinking really hard about!

snap-on
05-15-2007, 06:46 AM
Id go BJ spacers.... ive got some just havnt gotten around to putting them on, then i can lower the crank on my front end and get some flex back....

Im running stock or what OME calls stock (could be 1" over) i dont remember the numbers off hand.

The sliders are a set of ALL-Pro ive had for 6? years now. They have been great for the tight midwest trails i run. Wouldnt wheel it without them. (they were first offical mod)

Snap-on ... What sliiders are you running? Do yyou happen to have the number for the stock springs?

I'm still thinking about the bj spacers, but I can't make up my mind.