PDA

View Full Version : Northern Death Valley 20141010-12

troyboy162
05-21-2014, 02:21 AM
We've covered the southern end and sampled its highlights. Its time to tackle a good portion of the rest in a high tempo all out assault. Expect long days and lots of miles over easy terrain. There are three passes we must go over that will be more of the slower technical DV driving we are used to. Other then that its well maintained dirt roads so the miles per hour is hard to figure out. Shorter routes are planned in case we come up short, but all pictures and video point to safe traveling at a quick pace. I intend for sunday to be a early day even if the race track playa has to be cut from the menu (I doubt it will come to that).

"A venturesome minority
will always be eager to set off on their own,
and no obstacles should be placed in their path;
let them take risks, for godsake,
let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey

http://www.terragalleria.com/images/np-desert/deva45244.jpeg

Difficulty: 3 trail-rating (http://www.justruns.com/files/dif.htm) Google steel pass if you are concerned.

Communication:
CB channel:14
FRMS/GRMS channel:15 (bring two radios to share with a CB equipped rig)
2M HAM: UY simplex primary 146.430MHZ
Monitor 146.520 MHz (National Simplex Freq)
70CM HAM: UY/UE simplex secondary 435.000MHz Please have this programed into radio prior to trip
Monitor 446.000 National FM Voice Simplex Calling Frequency
Repeters:
I dont think there are any

Itinerary:
DAY1
leaving Ryolite ghost town at 900am after exploration
Lead field Ghost town Home of the crystal cave (its locked though)
Titus canyon
Scottys Castle (there is probably time for a tour if someone wants to but I was thinking of just seeing the grounds and outside)
Ubehebe Crater
Camp at mine

Day2
Tea kettle junction Bring a tea kettle if you want
Race track Playa
liptoncott pass get your 4-Low on
Saline valley hot springs for a shower and soak (Yes there are naked people there and no I will not be one of them)
marble bathtub
Steel pass <---Hardest trail we will see.

day 3
Eureka dunes These are "singing" dunes. Optional hike in the morning to set off the sound effect on a steep part.
Exit to Big Pines

Travel times:
Its a long one but similar to the Panimint trips
Palmdale to friday morning start point 4 hours https://goo.gl/maps/xfVd6
Victorville to friday morning start point 4 hours https://goo.gl/maps/cZPdq

Requirements:
-Working reliable Truck. This is not a recovery run. Towing can cost upwards of 1k
-Truck capable of washboard for hours on end without loosing bolts
-Extra fuel to take you more then the required miles.
-4x4
-32" tires or greater
-AT or MT tires for rock protection. C, D, or E rated only. No P rated. No exceptions
-Tire plugs Guaranteed to have one or more flats for the group on this run
-Spare tire within 3" of other tires
-Tools
-Recovery points front and rear
-tow strap without hooks
-Clothing/food/water/fuel for Three days in a desert environment (remember the nights could be cold)
-first aid kit.

Recommended:
-33" tires or greater
-Flashlights for mines
-wood for camp fire (not 100% certain of having a fire)
-Spare air filter
-favorite beer.
-solid blue marbles for the bathtub. (These are always going missing)
-piston for Piston point, tea kettle for Tea kettle junction( these are well represented at most times, but if you want to add to them you can)

Fuel requirements:
200-220ish miles from Beatty to the next gas station in big pine.

Camping requirements:
Primitive camping. Pack it in/Pack it out.

Weather info and conditions:
http://www.nps.gov/deva/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&pageID=682539
Death Valley National Park Ranger Station (760) 786-3200
Death Valley National Park Emergency Dispatch (888) 233-6518

for camping purpose the limit is 4 vehicles. :
1. Troy
2. Mike
3. JD

troyboy162
05-23-2014, 07:01 PM
itinerary updated. Its a tall order so days are likely to be full. Theres not as many things to see on the northern end and they are spaced far apart. Of the main attractions up there I cant say any are truly optional, so it puts the miles into this trip in a hurry.

Check your tires! Its going to take good ones to make it!

oh and dust spacing will be key with call outs for stops. Collisions do happen out there!
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_bCJWiPCCWzz9hPiU_ldjXQ5C9adTx _Zs3yGfASSdI5AzFXNp-A

Expect speeds of 50 MPH in sections like this:
(Note the washboard)
http://www.justwalkedby.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Death-Valley-Road.jpg

So that we can take our time when it turns to this:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/30566172.jpg

This is a rough outline of the route. The color codes were supposed to show the days mileage but its already outdated
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/troyboy162/deathvalleytrip_zpsf0d27bc6.jpg

Jaydee914
05-24-2014, 12:01 AM
I was about to jump right in to say "I'M IN!!!" But then I looked at the calendar and realized that's our first wedding anniversary, so no, I'm definitely not in. (And no, as cool as Victoria is, she's not going to want to spend our first anniversary driving around the desert)
I will, of course, be monitoring this thread, not just to drive myself crazy, but on the off-chance that dates happen to change.

troyboy162
05-24-2014, 02:21 AM
We can work something out. The dates are never hard set on these trips. I just did some more research that makes the route alot more doable. The first day has 80 miles on pavment and we can stretch out alot further before sun down. That makes the second day much less do or die lol. Really we could even skip the cabin and head all the way in to Beatty NV and gain another hour of daylight on the first day....things to discuss as we get closer.

Seanz0rz
05-24-2014, 09:17 AM
I'd love to do it, but I think it is a bit beyond my capability right now. Next time maybe?

troyboy162
05-25-2014, 03:03 AM
is it the distance? I keep tinkering with the route. If we omit crankshaft junction, lost burro mine, and hunter mountain area, we can drop all 20 miles of the only REAL washboard and knock 40 offroad miles total off the trip. Literally there's not anything else up there but the "crank shaft junction" sign. This alternate route cuts hunter mountain area as well and I was hard pressed to find anything of significance there other then just pretty terrain.

I go back and forth but the prize of covering 100% of the north end in a epic loop may be out shined by things like time enough to soak at saline springs lol. That place is nice!

This is the alternate route in purple. Cuts alot of the fat and still covers everything i really wanted to see. Its just not the tour of all the road up there like the other one.
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/troyboy162/alternateroute_zps5dd9ab70.jpg

Seanz0rz
05-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Right now, I know my suspension is not capable. New shocks are scheduled for sometime towards the end of next month, and I think I have more than a couple of bushings that need replacing.

I also think my engine and trans mounts are no longer doing their job. Any acceleration causes pretty large movements in my shifters.

I am also not sure that most of the bolts in the truck would stay where they should be after the washboards!

I'll keep this in mind, but it doesn't look promising right now. 10% maybe.

troyboy162
05-25-2014, 06:36 PM
hmm I have movement but only in 4 low. 2wd they dont move much.

I had concerns over the washboad too. Everywhere you read makes it sound like washboard hell. The more I researched its just two spots where normal cars go so there is enough traffic to create them. The worst is between ube... crater and crankshaft junction. The speed limit is 20mph for 20 miles of arrow straight dirt road. Trucks and SUVs are reported doing 80mph often. I would imagine this is to stay on top of the bumps. The other spot is between ube and the racetrack. This one looks fairly bad, but is also navigated by toyota camerys by more daring people then myself. Rangers report that road as taking 2 hours due to the bumps, but trucks are only taking an hour at a causal pace.

I'm not too worried about the washboard now since it looks to be only issue for cars. That and the routes I'm looking at quickly take us where the cars cant go so we'ed be back in normal trails within a hour.

Seanz0rz
05-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Sounds good. I'll keep an open mind, but I think getting a day off will be difficult. If I did, I would have to work extra the week of and the week after.

As for the shifter movement, it is concerning. I'll have a look when I get under the truck again, hopefully sooner than later.

Jaydee914
05-26-2014, 12:37 AM
I've read plenty about that washboard and I guarantee that nobody ever airs down for that road. I'm betting with our aired down tires, we'll have absolutely no problem with it.

troyboy162
05-26-2014, 01:52 AM
Good point! We are better prepared and more experienced then most who travel the easy roads out there. Saline valley road coming from the north is described as a hell road. In the pictures it doesn't even look notable for 4x4.

I researched today about a death valley secret we will be going by. Crystal cave in Leadfeild! Its a weird tale of a mine breaking into a natural cave filled with crystals; Looting of the crystals, and eventually the park sealing it off in 1951. Theres no marker or mention of it anywhere in the park service stuff. Good old high desert magazine (excellent mine research) covered the closer and has some interior pictures http://www.scribd.com/doc/2403386/195111-Desert-Magazine-1951-November

DHC6twinotter
05-26-2014, 08:58 AM
I drove the stretch from the crater to the racetrack in less then an hour. The road is washboard, but not bad at all. I did 35-45 on it and just floated over everything. I wasn't aired down. Unless conditions have changed drastically since I was there a year ago, you guys shouldn't have any problems doing that stretch in 45-60 minutes. The rangers told me that people get flats out there all the time, so just keep an eye out for cars on the side of the road (I didn't see any though).

Saline Vally Rd is terrible. There is a trail from the Racetrack to Saline Valley Rd called the Lipencot (sp?). I heard mixed reviews about Lipencot, so I opted out and backtracked from the Racetrack to Teakettle Junction, then headed down through Hidden Valley and South Pass. Some sandy sections, but beautiful drive and easy. Some old mines along the way as well.

I picked up the Saline Valley Rd at South Pass and headed North. The section of Saline Valley Rd near South Pass is very rocky, with rocks about the size of basketballs, maybe larger. This rocky section is pretty long and took a while for me to get through (maybe an hour? Don't remember) I did use 4wd here, but I wasn't aired down. I did see a stock T-100 and a Dodge with Slide-In camper going through, so it should be easy for you guys. Just slow. The rest of Saline Valley Rd is just heavy washboard and washes (edit: and lots of rocks embedded in the road!). Can't go fast over the washboard though, because every hundred feet or so, there was a wash or large rut across the road. I took the road all the way up to Joshua Flats Road and probably averaged about 20-25mph on the road. I still managed to get airborne a few times. The road takes too much attention to be able to enjoy the surrounding scenery.

One of the rangers told me the section of the park around Big Pine Road was his favorite. I never made it up there though.

troyboy162
05-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Perfect! thanks Dan for the first hand account. Sounds like some fun times ahead!

troyboy162
06-26-2014, 05:48 PM
24th of October work?

Jaydee914
06-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Yup. In.

troyboy162
06-26-2014, 10:22 PM
perfect. Mike from UE can make that one too. I should still be home, but as always its up in the air. I'm looking forward to this one!

troyboy162
06-27-2014, 04:39 AM
First post cleaned up and Itinerary tightened down. I hate going to Rylolite for the first night but it really helps out the next two days. The loss is not being able to see Stove pipe wells and devils corn field during the day, but those two spots aren't that amazing.

troyboy162
09-23-2014, 07:07 PM
I just got put on 3rd shift at work but the good news is this trip should be good to go. I'll try to update things over the next few weeks

Seanz0rz
09-23-2014, 07:08 PM
3rd shift? Who did you piss off?!

Obviously I'm not going, have fun and take lots of pictures!

troyboy162
09-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Its my turn in the barrel lol.
You might be ready in time. I guess you'll know soon.
I'll be a zombie out there but it will be fun

Jaydee914
09-23-2014, 10:20 PM
Cool. Should be a good time. Sounds like some cool sights and some semi-challenging, fun terrain.

troyboy162
09-24-2014, 01:40 AM
man I cant seem to catch a break... I picked up my mail and I now have jury duty starting the 20th. That makes leaving on the 24th up in the air and I have no way of knowing until the 20th. Sorry for any inconvenience...My life is hectic these days for one reason or another.

Jaydee914
09-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Man, that sucks! What bad luck!
I'm not sure if I'll be able to get out there the first night or not, and I won't figure that out till closer as well.

Jaydee914
10-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Looks like Steele Pass is in bad shape. If this trip is still happening, we'll need to monitor its condition here and elsewhere: forum.salinepreservation.org/post/steele-pass-6700264?trail=30 See post #23

troyboy162
10-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Great....Has anyone taken days off for this trip? Things are staking against the dates :/

Jaydee914
10-04-2014, 06:34 PM
I'm taking this week off and then another 2 days in the end of the month, so my plan was to meet you guys at the mine late Friday night, rather than taking that day off.
Honestly, that's the best weekend for me till the second week of December, but I agree, it's not looking good. I'm still going to try to make it if the trip is still on that weekend.
Sounds like it might just be you and me that weekend though!

troyboy162
10-05-2014, 12:25 AM
Oh it keeps getting better. I found out last night that I have to work the night of the 24th. I set up my whole overtime schedule to make sure I had that day off, but in addition to the overtime I will already be doing...I will be working that day too. I'll email them sunday night and see if I can get out of it, but that will put the nail in the coffin for me. As is I would be leaving death valley on sunday to do to work 3rd shift.

I still want to make this one, but I am glad to hear you didnt take time off for it. The canyon sounds crappy. I am sure we could make it but its going to chew into our weekend.

Jaydee914
10-06-2014, 12:27 AM
We could just call it and do a quick Bear day or overnight trip, if there's no snow on the ground, and save the northern Death Valley for when we have time to do it right.

troyboy162
10-06-2014, 09:34 AM
I think that would be best at this point. Death valley season is just starting.

I'll be back to day shift in november but 6 day work weeks are about to happen so I'm not sure when I will be able to make it.

Jaydee914
10-07-2014, 10:57 PM
Ok, let me know if you want to plan a day trip or even a short overnighter.
With the amount of work I have to do on my house, a quick day of some rock bashing might be best.

troyboy162
10-11-2014, 05:46 AM
Sounds good. I have the underground 2014 event happening but I'm not even sure I can make that one. Either way the quick trips might be the way to go.

Jaydee914
10-15-2014, 03:01 PM
OK, so where are we going on the 25th???

troyboy162
10-16-2014, 02:22 AM
Let me see if I can get my shock mounts rewelded in time. Otherwise I'll be up for a mild trail. Right now I'd probably bend a shock even on johnbull

Jaydee914
10-16-2014, 02:13 PM
OK, let me know. Either could be fun.

Seanz0rz
10-16-2014, 07:22 PM
Might be interested in a passenger seat if you have one.

Jaydee914
10-17-2014, 09:57 AM
I'm sure we can squeeze you in somewhere.

Jaydee914
10-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Should we create a new thread for this to invite others along?

troyboy162
10-17-2014, 11:17 AM
ive just got the jury duty looming. I should know by monday I'd think since thats the start

Jaydee914
10-17-2014, 03:27 PM
Jury duty on a Saturday???

troyboy162
10-17-2014, 11:14 PM
I have no clue.

troyboy162
10-21-2014, 04:15 AM
Jury duty is canceled, but I dont think I'm up for a worthwhile run without my shock mounts fixed. There is a "whole bernadino " style run going on with the mine guys if you are interested. They are doing john bull Saturday morning, so that puts me out of the running.

Jaydee914
10-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Bummer. Oh well, next time. Let us know when you get those shock mounts fixed, and we'll get up there!

troyboy162
10-22-2014, 06:09 AM
I'm going to try and get them done this weekend, but it looks like the post office may have lost them

Alixe
11-25-2014, 11:56 PM
Amazing itinerary! I must go to visit the Northern Death Valley one day because I have heard a lot about it and I am sure I will be there one day because I love the adventure and it seems to be an adventurous place.

paddlenbike
11-26-2014, 07:30 AM
Death Valley is a pretty incredible place. Most people only experience it from the highway and never leave the pavement. Virtually all of the stuff you need to see in DV is far off the beaten path--Ubehebe Crater, the dunes, hot springs, coke ovens, various abandoned mines, the remains of Manson's cabin and virtually all of the slot canyons spread throughout the park. It's a must-see place.

Jaydee914
09-29-2015, 10:11 PM
Troy, what do you think about trying this one again this fall?

Seanz0rz
09-30-2015, 05:05 AM
Give me a date and I'm in.

troyboy162
09-30-2015, 08:31 PM
how about oct 9-11?

Seanz0rz
09-30-2015, 08:39 PM
Like a Paul Walker Joke, too soon.

troyboy162
09-30-2015, 08:41 PM
lol. oct 23-25? I dont know how long I will be in the area. The new job started up this week and Ive got 2 weeks to 2 months before I have to move

Kryptoroxx
10-01-2015, 07:07 AM
lol. oct 23-25? I dont know how long I will be in the area. The new job started up this week and Ive got 2 weeks to 2 months before I have to move
Those dates are good for me. I'm actually not working during that time.

I am in the same boat as you troy except I am stuck in the desert till early december. January starts school again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Seanz0rz
10-01-2015, 12:11 PM
I think I can make that work. I'll talk to the Wifey.

Seanz0rz
10-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Just for clarification, it would be a friday-sunday event.

Inventory is the 30th at work, and October is always nuts. I'll ask the boss tomorrow, but Lexi and I are down!

troyboy162
10-01-2015, 07:55 PM
yes fri-sunday with shooting to be home by 5pm

Krypt you ready?! hell yeah!

Kryptoroxx
10-01-2015, 07:57 PM
Seems like the wife is on board this time lol.

toyotech
10-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Darn it. Got a wedding to go to the 24th

Jaydee914
10-05-2015, 08:08 AM
I was actually hoping for something in November but that weekend just happens to be free. So it sounds like I'm in.
Troy, where would you be moving?

Seanz0rz
10-05-2015, 02:59 PM
I'm out. Just can't do a Friday off. November would probably work better but even then no guarantee.

troyboy162
10-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Dang it Sean!
I have to move up by lompoc. its like 30 minutes south of pismo.

Seanz0rz
10-05-2015, 08:03 PM
Yeah it's a busy time at work. November will be better, December too unless we get some crazy requests for shot show.

Lexi and I will try to do a weekend camp trip somewhere. I also plan on doing some eastern Mojave exploring to pre run some stuff for March. Might combine that.

Jaydee914
10-05-2015, 09:39 PM
We can definitely move the date. Would November work better for everybody? I just can't do Nov 13-16, Thanksgiving or Dec 4-6.

troyboy162
10-05-2015, 09:46 PM
nov6-8?

Seanz0rz
10-06-2015, 05:13 AM
I'll toss that date through the proper channels, but that sounds better. Just pray it doesn't rain!

Kryptoroxx
10-06-2015, 08:15 AM
I will check with the wife too

Jaydee914
10-06-2015, 12:20 PM
That weekend could work for me.
It's probably best we move the date back anyway, as Scotty's Castle rd is currently under 2' of debris from the rains last week.

Jaydee914
10-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Yup, the entire area is closed up.

Seanz0rz
10-06-2015, 01:37 PM
The avocado is go for launch!

Kryptoroxx
10-06-2015, 06:32 PM
In negotiations here. Looking gtg though.

troyboy162
10-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Well hell yeah! This is shaping up to a good one! Gotta take a look at those closers though closer to the time. Titus canyon is probably tore up. It's 90% wash

Seanz0rz
10-06-2015, 07:03 PM
Wooooooooooo! We're excited!

Kryptoroxx
10-06-2015, 11:12 PM
Yeah I might have a locker and be the lightest but I have the smallest lift as well. Will I survive?

Jaydee914
10-07-2015, 04:51 AM
Yeah, as long as the roads open back up, you should be fine. Other than Steele Pass, nothing will be that challenging. I believe Lippincott is basically just narrow, steep and winding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kryptoroxx
10-07-2015, 04:17 PM
Sounds like the wife is on board. Now I have a ton to get done. Power steering and brakes need to be flushed along with the clutch line. Going to studless diff along with changing the diff fluid.

troyboy162
10-11-2015, 09:15 PM
crap flubbed that one up big time. Underground 2015 is that weekend so I'm out... In other news you guys should come to that lol. I should be leading a intermediate trip again on saturday

Jaydee914
10-12-2015, 08:31 AM
Would the weekend of the 20th-22nd work for everybody?

Jaydee914
10-12-2015, 08:40 AM
I just checked and all roads, trails and canyons relevant to our trip are now open again.

troyboy162
10-12-2015, 10:42 AM
That does work, but is also about the time I expect to be moving. The job is kinda weird so I don't know when I leave...just that I'm here for 2-10 months.

I think Sean may have already put time in for the weekend so you guys should just "stay the course" lol. My chances decrease every weekend so I can't be solid on anything past mid November.

Seanz0rz
10-12-2015, 12:10 PM
Not yet! I was going to do it today. I am free any weekend in November.

troyboy162
10-12-2015, 01:10 PM
I'd love to make it but realistically I could be moving that weekend so don't change plans for me. originally I figured I would be gone by the end of october so i didn't mark anything on my calendar and that's throwing me for a loop.

Kryptoroxx
10-12-2015, 03:30 PM
The earlier the better for me in november. December 5th I'm gone for the east coast for a good long while. Got a bit of work done on the truck today though.

Jaydee914
10-12-2015, 09:38 PM
Ok, we'll miss you Troy, but let's keep planning on the weekend of the 6th.

Seanz0rz
10-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Sounds good to me.

I will spend at least part of the weekend tightening bolts.

Jaydee914
10-13-2015, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I've got a few to tighten as well. And some (or all) lights to re-aim.

Kryptoroxx
10-14-2015, 12:30 PM
I wish all I had to do was tighten bolts lol. That would be nice.

Seanz0rz
10-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Me too. I might try to have the roof rack done by the trip, although that is looking less and less likely.

Kryptoroxx
10-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Me too. I might try to have the roof rack done by the trip, although that is looking less and less likely.
I enlisted slaves! Jk they are just guys that like to wrench. Hopefully I can get the front shocks changed, oil changed, rear Diff to studless mod done, and change the diff fluids plus the Tbu/brake fluid flush upgrade done in a few hours at the hobby shop on the lift. I really don't want to do another alignment but I am afraid I will need to. Another 100 bucks down the drain.....

Then I have to go home and get beer on the way to do the rear shocks and hood struts.

boyfester
10-15-2015, 10:39 AM
Just heard about this from JD. I do have sliders coming in this week (whoo-hoo!) but I'm still running my stock 31.6" OEM Dueler tires. They've been holding up incredibly well. Other than the flat I got with you guys in Mojave in March, I've been out every month and never got another flat. Lucky I guess as we've hit some pretty rough stuff. I have a trip planned with the wife and kids during Thanksgiving in Morro Bay and she's saying that will be my "once a month" trip. Not too happy about that and still talking about it with her.

Seanz0rz
10-15-2015, 12:10 PM
Hope you can make it out!

Jaydee914
10-15-2015, 09:16 PM
Marc, those are the first and last weekends of November so it's almost not even the same month! And is a family trip really "your" weekend?? You need to get out there with us!
Oh, and your tires should be fine.

Kryptoroxx
10-17-2015, 08:09 PM
Whew! There was a lot of wrenching going on today. I am a fully functional tundra brake and bilstein 5100 front end with brand new ball joints now.....and I still have more to do.

Front end matches the rear for lift. Sitting at 2" now and it rides pretty well I think.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/17/f386fbed4fcaa89a3195351857c6433f.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/17/cd295d62deced7f4244fff25de65d30e.jpg

I am still planning on making it up to death valley.

Jaydee914
10-19-2015, 11:08 PM
Well, apparently the rains have struck again and the entire Scotty's Castle area is closed due to "millions of dollars" in flood damage. At the moment, the park is saying it's going to take months to fix but I'll continue to monitor the situation.

Seanz0rz
10-20-2015, 05:10 AM
I think with the expected rains this year, it is going to make it very challenging to do much preplanned desert exploring.

Either we will need to be incredibly flexible dates and locations, or be willing to cancel a day before.

Jaydee914
10-20-2015, 07:18 AM
Agreed. Sean, do you need to do any prerunning for the Mojave trip? It seems like that area hasn't been getting hit too badly with rain (then again, I haven't been paying attention) and we're going to need to to have an alternate lined up.

Seanz0rz
10-20-2015, 09:00 AM
This coming trip will be virtually identical to 2014. I will have alternate routes if our route is blocked.

As for rain, they've been getting hit pretty good all summer.

troyboy162
10-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Just coming to post about that but you guys are way ahead of me. I don't have a full grasp on the closures but the road to the mine on Wingate rd in panamint vallay should be open regardless of conditions since they are a operating mine. That opens up the pleasant canyon loop...not ideal, but a solid plan C or D lol

Seanz0rz
10-20-2015, 02:58 PM
I agree we should have a back up route for the weekend if those roads are impassable due to previous rains. If it rains that weekend, I vote to postpone or cancel. I rather not drown in 10 feet of mud.

Kryptoroxx
10-20-2015, 06:51 PM
We got smashed pretty good out here. I was almost on the 58 when that whole bad day happened. I had gotten back a day prior. I concur on the postponement even though it will make it unlikely for me to go. You don't know what you'll run into out there right now.

troyboy162
10-20-2015, 07:07 PM
hit the cabins if its raining! I will graciously donate these moonshine cherries that Sean didnt eat from the coyote trip lol

Seanz0rz
10-20-2015, 07:34 PM
Nooooooo!

troyboy162
10-20-2015, 08:15 PM
those were bad news. Especially when they started to taste ok lol.

Jaydee914
10-21-2015, 07:39 AM
Yeah, postponing sounds like the safe thing to do. We'll see what kind of rain is planned that week. Although I fear there won't yet be access to that entire area by that time anyway.

Kryptoroxx
10-22-2015, 05:44 AM
Yeah, postponing sounds like the safe thing to do. We'll see what kind of rain is planned that week. Although I fear there won't yet be access to that entire area by that time anyway.

Let me know the dates. I will be up in the Vegas area the weekend of the 21st to attend the birthday ball if you want me to scout anything out.

Jaydee914
10-22-2015, 02:28 PM
I don't have dates yet - I think if it did get postponed, I'd wait until the late summer/spring sometime, without crowding Sean's Mojave dates. As of this moment, the trip is still theoretically on, but isn't looking good. I'm waiting until the week before to officially postpone it.
Or would you guys prefer to just call it now and make other plans (wheeling or other) for that weekend?

troyboy162
10-26-2015, 10:58 PM
Crazy stuff over there right now. The pup fish thing is interesting. They have kept them out of sight from visitors only to be possibly killed off by rain run off
https://vimeo.com/143646518

Kryptoroxx
10-27-2015, 05:17 AM
This could bring a change to the way death valley is viewed if that river sticks around.

Jaydee914
10-27-2015, 07:52 AM
Where is that river; in the Racetrack or along Scotty's Castle road?

troyboy162
10-27-2015, 07:26 PM
dumps out from bad water "lake" and flows past shoshone.

Seanz0rz
10-27-2015, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I say we sit this one out.

Kryptoroxx
10-27-2015, 08:13 PM
I have to just with all the crap that went wrong with the runner. I first got hit in the nuts with a bad steering rack and now I'm going to have to drop the front diff. Something went wrong with the righthand cv seal and it gushes. I can't even drive 100yds.

Hopefully safari Ltd gets some racks back in stock.

troyboy162
10-27-2015, 08:14 PM
see if the CV has just come loose from the diff. I had one slip out once and leak a ton.

troyboy162
10-27-2015, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I say we sit this one out.

The worst thing about it is we could navigate the park safely with our vehicles right now and see the lakes from a 1000 year rain. Instead this unheard of situation will be behind gates for probably the next couple months.

Kryptoroxx
10-27-2015, 09:50 PM
see if the CV has just come loose from the diff. I had one slip out once and leak a ton.
I actually pulled it and felt the seal. I must have bumped the cv against it while I was reinstalling it. I gotta redo the seal :(

Jaydee914
10-27-2015, 10:22 PM
The worst thing about it is we could navigate the park safely with our vehicles right now and see the lakes from a 1000 year rain. Instead this unheard of situation will be behind gates for probably the next couple months.

Actually, we could get in to the Racetrack by going in Saline Road south and then taking either Lippincott to the south end or Hunter Mountain Rd to Teakettle Junction.
But it would suck to miss Scotty's Castle and the crater. And with Scotty's Castle road closed, it would mean a fair amount of pavement and backtracking to go from Titus Canyon to Saline South.

troyboy162
10-28-2015, 06:21 AM
That would be pretty bad ass to see deep water on that lake. I think the badwater lake is rare though. Lots of neat things out there right now.

Kryptoroxx
10-28-2015, 01:36 PM
It would be awesome to see. If I can get everything fixed I will talk to the wife about being free. Hell if it's the weekend of the 21st I could just keep going north after attending the ball.

troyboy162
11-02-2015, 08:17 AM
A few roads are opening up....you all are obligated to come to Underground 2015 if you don't go on this trip, you know :)

Kryptoroxx
11-02-2015, 02:24 PM
A few roads are opening up....you all are obligated to come to Underground 2015 if you don't go on this trip, you know :)
Nobody has any steering racks in stock !

Jaydee914
11-03-2015, 06:21 PM
Nobody has any steering racks in stock !

I think I'm going to call off this trip anyway. We'll try it again in the spring, maybe, when all the roads and sites are back open. Third time's the charm!

troyboy162
11-03-2015, 06:23 PM
the best trips have always been the ones canceled several times before completion lol. I swear its a real pattern!

Kryptoroxx
11-03-2015, 07:20 PM
One of these days I will return out west and have more time. The wife and I were talking about it and 90% of what we wanted to do.....we never had time for.

troyboy162
11-03-2015, 09:11 PM
If they wanted you to have time to go wheeling they'd of made it part of your training plan : )

Kryptoroxx
11-04-2015, 05:31 AM
If they wanted you to have time to go wheeling they'd of made it part of your training plan : )
This is true.

Seanz0rz
11-04-2015, 05:38 AM
http://abc7.com/weather/scottys-castle-could-be-closed-for-year-after-death-valley-flash-flood/1067143/

troyboy162
11-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Well at least the damage seems to be just scotty's castle. Keen wonder/ big bell have been closed for years now.