PDA

View Full Version : Quick Cleghorn run

Jaydee914
07-01-2014, 09:02 PM
My wife's brother and sister in law are in town for a few so I'm going to take him and my stepson up to Cleghorn for a quick run on either Thursday or Sunday. Anybody interested in making a run one of those days?

Seanz0rz
07-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Sunday would be fun. I could use a day out. I'll see what's happening and let you know soon.

Jaydee914
07-01-2014, 11:26 PM
Cool. Talk soon!

troyboy162
07-01-2014, 11:28 PM
take pictures!

Jaydee914
07-02-2014, 08:51 PM
Definitely. I've been wanting to tackle Cleghorn again now that I have the locker!

troyboy162
07-03-2014, 12:54 AM
oh man! I didnt know you hadn't gone back to cleg yet with the locker. Wish I could make it since you are going to be a kid in a candy store up there haha.

Seanz0rz
07-03-2014, 05:10 PM
I'm out. Doing some emergency rewiring.

Jaydee914
07-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Bummer. Anybody else?

Seanz0rz
07-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Sorry about that. My alarm bit the dust, new one comes tomorrow and I don't want to go all week without one. It keeps locking me out of my truck too.

Jaydee914
07-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Well, the trip was fun, but the locker was a bust. I knew something was up when the compressor kept running and running. The air line and its connections seemed fine, but then I heard a hissing coming from behind my fuel filler door. I have a remote pressure relief valve on my pumpkin routed to the gas cap and the air was blowing right through the differential and out the relief valve. Obviously a hose came loose inside the diff. Crappy. Hopefully, the installer takes care of me, since a poor install is the only way that this can happen.
Anyway, it was a beautiful day, and we had fun. My brother in law was continually laughing at the things we were climbing and the hills we were decending. It was even more fun just witnessing his reactions! Since I had a steering wheel in my hands, I got no photos, but he did. If I can get some from him, I'll do a proper write up.

4x4mike
07-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Were you able to try sections you had trouble on before? I know the locker wasn't working but was it any easier having a second go-round at it?

Jaydee914
07-08-2014, 06:08 PM
Actually, I did tackle one section that I hadn't done before. Since we were solo, I didn't get too crazy, but there's one uphill that I was able to get up that I had never tried before, so that was fun.

troyboy162
07-08-2014, 06:49 PM
nice! Bummer to hear about the locker. My arb had to come apart again too to be fixed.

Jaydee914
07-09-2014, 06:47 AM
Really Troy? What was wrong with it? I kept hearing stories about how bulletproof ARB's are, but this is the second time mine needs to come apart. First time was just a couple weeks after the install, where it just started puking diff fluid for no apparent reason.

04 Rocko Taco
07-09-2014, 04:21 PM
No tech here, but I've never liked ARB's. I've seen them have to come apart far to often.

I'll run elockers, thanks.

troyboy162
07-09-2014, 08:46 PM
I didn't word that response very well. It was on the initial install. I went to test it and it leaked air pressure. Mine was not preloaded enough and would leak air under torque causing the pump to continuously run. Its a common problem with installers that haven't done many arbs. I dont know much about diffs but It sounds like arbs need to be on the top end of allowable preload and any less can cause them to leak.

The arbs are strong in that they replace everything weak about a toyota carrier. The install is not easy though and the air actuators may need to be cleaned from time to time. In a pinch there is a way to remove the internals of the actuator so that the diff will lock to get you out of a tight spot (provided the actuator was the problem). Once you are set up and running correctly, you shouldn't have any more issues. It seems like the install bugs are sorta common with ARB where as the elockers are a factory part. Set up for them is just running 12v to a switch.

The jeep crowd has cable actuated lockers available. I would think that was the best of both worlds but I have read they have there issues too.

Jaydee914
07-10-2014, 12:57 AM
Now I'm debating whether to bring it back down the road to the original installer in the hope that he gets it right finally and doesn't charge me an exorbitant amount or to bring it all the way out to Corona to have Yotamasters do it right.

Kryptoroxx
07-10-2014, 05:38 AM
I'm sure this isn't brand new but I know Chilkat makes the cable mod for the elocker which is pretty slick. Kinda steep but then again no one else has a design either.

http://www.chilkatdesigns.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

troyboy162
07-11-2014, 10:50 PM
How did it go? Was your installer helpful?

Jaydee914
07-12-2014, 01:26 AM
Haven't made it over there yet. Next week.

Jaydee914
07-17-2014, 02:47 PM
It turns out the copper tube inside the diff split open somehow. No idea how that could have happened - too much pressure? I'm guessing it was just a defect in the metal. Anyway, rather than wait around for a new part, the mechanic had it repaired with a new sleeve and some solder. Hopefully that holds!

troyboy162
07-18-2014, 12:51 AM
I hope so too. If all shit breaks loose we can pull that third and fix it in a afternoon I'd guess. It'll suck lol, but its doable.

4x4mike
07-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Is it possible to get a warranty replacement of the copper piece? Or to buy a second to have as a spare? A replacement might be handy to throw in the parts bag just in case. Or to have on hand for that random day you have the 3rd out.

Jaydee914
07-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Is it possible to get a warranty replacement of the copper piece? Or to buy a second to have as a spare? A replacement might be handy to throw in the parts bag just in case. Or to have on hand for that random day you have the 3rd out.

Very good idea. In talking with the mechanic, ARB typically wants the broken part before sending out a warrantee. Neither he nor I wanted my truck up on his lift for 2 weeks though, so a quick fix it was.
Buying a replacement part isn't a bad idea though, although a similar failure won't disable the truck. I'd probably prefer to go back to careful line choice and reliance on ATRAC then an on-trail tear down.