PDA

View Full Version : Just got finished with our basement project

TDiddy
02-28-2007, 08:13 PM
WOO HOO, now we have more usable space! Sarah as a dedicated office, and I have a TV room with a 50" plasma. Hi def kicks major ass! I'll post some pics tomorrow.

oly884
03-19-2007, 10:39 PM
I just recently picked up a 50" samsung DLP with 1080p

It's SOOOO nice. Hook up the xbox 360 to it with hidef games, what an experience!

oly884
03-20-2007, 07:50 AM
Here's a crappy pano of my set-up.

I'm sporting the apartment life right now, so it is far from ideal. When it comes time to buy a nice place, then I'll get it set up just right.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/oly884/oh-yeah.jpg

TDiddy
03-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Here's one pic of ours...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a114/mertztr/932993046403_0_ALB.jpg

oly884
03-20-2007, 05:13 PM
i think your setup is better than my setup.

TDiddy
03-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Ahh, I bet yours is just as effective! How are you liking the DLP? Are you getting any HD broadcasts?

The TV we went with definitely wasn't the cheapest option, but damn - the PQ is rediculously good, even on non-HD.

oly884
03-20-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm loving the DLP, my only gripe is viewing angle. However, it's not horrible by any means.

Yup, I get about 5 channels in HD through the bunny ears. I'm too cheap for cable, right now.

I looked at plasmas, however, the threat of burn in from video games scared me away. Than and they also had the TV I got for $400 off!

TDiddy
03-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Yeah, we're doing bunny ears too. That's probably the best way to get HD though really. I know DirecTV compresses the signal alot, and people grips that its not true HD.

oly884
03-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Right, I got the TV just before the super bowl and had it in HD, man was that sweet!

I'm not sure if I really plan on getting cable any time soon anyways, with all the crap on TV, the lack of time I have, and the cost, cable doesn't make much sense.

The couple HD channels I do get via the bunny ears provides MORE than enough TV for me.

Now my movie collection... that's another story.

Top Gun + 50" HDTV + 5.1 surround = Pure awesomeness

Robinhood4x4
03-20-2007, 07:10 PM
We're looking for a 42"+ TV and I think I'm leaning toward LCD. So you guys say normal TV looks better on your HDTV than it did on a normal TV? I've been reading that some people say it's better and some say it's worse.

I think our new family room is going to be a tight squeeze so the DVD, home theatre, etc is going in a closet directly behind the wall on which the TV will hang. We'll use an IR repeater for the remote.

TDiddy
03-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Steve, it is totally specific to the individual and the TV. In my case, I'd say it definitely looks better but different eyes may not see the same thing. Some also say that the PQ is better with component video than it is with HDMI. I couldn't notice a difference there, and it sure is nice to eliminate wires with HDMI.

Just make sure that closet has good ventilation. Some of those receivers and DVD players can throw off alot of heat!

oly884
03-20-2007, 07:36 PM
So you guys say normal TV looks better on your HDTV than it did on a normal TV?

I had bunny ears before and the non-HD channels look the same now as they did on my old 20" TV. So, don't expect non-HD channels to look any better.

That said, it's only the HDTV channels that are broadcasted that are a lot better.

localmotion
03-20-2007, 07:39 PM
wow Tiddy, your basement looks awesome!

Oly, I am thinking about buying your exact TV. I am getting my own place as of May 1 and need to get to baller status as you have..LOL

oly884
03-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Oly, I am thinking about buying your exact TV. I am getting my own place as of May 1 and need to get to baller status as you have..LOL

Haha, nice to hear that! It's definitely a sweet TV!

Here's where I got it: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/458999052

Robinhood4x4
03-20-2007, 07:57 PM
I had bunny ears before and the non-HD channels look the same now as they did on my old 20" TV. So, don't expect non-HD channels to look any better.

That said, it's only the HDTV channels that are broadcasted that are a lot better.

No, I've heard the normal channels actually look worse on a HDTV. I think a lot of it has to do with how people tune their TVs and whether they use the right quality cables. Good to know it looks the same.

What kind of cables are you guys running? HDMI?

oly884
03-20-2007, 08:11 PM

No, I've heard the normal channels actually look worse on a HDTV. I think a lot of it has to do with how people tune their TVs and whether they use the right quality cables. Good to know it looks the same.

What kind of cables are you guys running? HDMI?

I didn't notice any difference on normal channels, but I can see how it could get worse.

I'd run HDMI if I had any device that used them.

The only thing I'm running right now is my xbox 360 off of it and that's component. I might be getting the HD-DVD player for it though and that's HDMI.

I hear same thing between HDMI and component, some say one is better than the other. Since I don't have any HDMI hooked up I can't say, but it has to be at least close.

reggie 00
04-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Cool a thread i can make some decent comments on.

I be part owner of a Custom Home Theater/ Low voltage company

Depending on the model of display standard def shows may look grainy. HD pretty much looks good on anything.

There is actually a huge debate on which cable is better component or HDMI. I think they look the same personally. Only thing is if you run component you will need to also run a toslink or coax dig cable so you can get 5.1.

If any one need little stuff like remotes, cables, ect. I can hook it up. You would be surprised at the mark up for this stuff.

If you are local i can do the big stuff. Not to much savings shipping a big ol display to the east coast.. :shake:

I am pretty good with most questions, the stuff i cant answer i will find out, have distributors and what not i can dig it out of.

MTL_4runner
04-02-2007, 04:19 AM
Looks good Tom, I'll have to post some pics of our finished basement too. It is incredible how much extra space a finished basement adds!!! We only have a 42" plasma but next time I'm definately going LCD (50" +) because the resolutions are much tighter and you can even get a true 1080 set for cheaper than the price of a new car (Plasma 1080 sets are still very expensive and eventually I'd bet LCD will overtake plasma in the high end segment). The LCD sets also use alot less juice (like maybe 1/10th!)

TDiddy
04-02-2007, 05:34 AM
Thanks Jamie, yeah we looked at some LCD sets too since the 1080P LCD's were just rolling out when we were ready to buy. The nice thing was that the store we purchased from had all types of TV's to look at, almost side by side.

Euphorickaty80
04-02-2007, 06:06 AM
the threat of burn in from video games scared me away.

I have never heard of this Oly...can you explain a little further for me?? I eventually want to get a flat screen...right now i have a 52" big screen...

oly884
04-02-2007, 06:44 AM
Cool a thread i can make some decent comments on.

I be part owner of a Custom Home Theater/ Low voltage company

Depending on the model of display standard def shows may look grainy. HD pretty much looks good on anything.

There is actually a huge debate on which cable is better component or HDMI. I think they look the same personally. Only thing is if you run component you will need to also run a toslink or coax dig cable so you can get 5.1.

If any one need little stuff like remotes, cables, ect. I can hook it up. You would be surprised at the mark up for this stuff.

If you are local i can do the big stuff. Not to much savings shipping a big ol display to the east coast.. :shake:

I am pretty good with most questions, the stuff i cant answer i will find out, have distributors and what not i can dig it out of.

I'll probably be contacting you as the entertainment bug bites me more!

I have never heard of this Oly...can you explain a little further for me?? I eventually want to get a flat screen...right now i have a 52" big screen...

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-burnin.html

My parents have one that they got a couple years ago, when burn in was a really big problem. Now, from what I've read, it isn't so bad, but I'm still not sure enough to try. I'm sure Reggie will chime in with some information, he really knows his stuff.

MTL_4runner
04-02-2007, 07:21 AM
I put up another thread for just flatscreen TV stuff here.
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=526.0

reggie 00
04-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Some of the nicer plasma have screen protection. What they do is shift pixels every so often. If you are going to do some serious gaming LCD or DLP or a good LCOS is the way to go.

Euphorickaty80
04-02-2007, 09:29 AM
[quote=oly884 ]

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-burnin.html

My parents have one that they got a couple years ago, when burn in was a really big problem. Now, from what I've read, it isn't so bad, but I'm still not sure enough to try. I'm sure Reggie will chime in with some information, he really knows his stuff.

Interesting stuff!! Thanks guys!

PirateFins
04-02-2007, 09:51 AM
nice pics, I just got finished with my basement as well. Haven't got the TV yet for it. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

TDiddy - Like the wall unit. Did you buy it or have it custom built?

TDiddy
04-02-2007, 10:16 AM
thanks - it was custom built.

reggie 00
04-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Here's one pic of ours...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a114/mertztr/932993046403_0_ALB.jpg

How thick is the back of the cabinet where the display is?

It would look nice on either a articulating or tilt mount.
Look good centered up in the cabinet space there.