PDA

View Full Version : My first welder (of my own)

Kryptoroxx
10-22-2014, 09:29 PM
Well due to cost and some other factors I finally settled on getting a stick welder and then after a couple more months of waiting, researching, reading, etc a deal came up that I am fairly certain I can't pass up.

It's a hobart stickmate 235/160 ac/dc arc welder and he's selling the whole setup for 450 which includes a helmet, gloves, rod, and a cart. Seems like a great deal and I can't wait to get my grubby paws on it.

Only thing I see as a limitation is the min. being 1/8" for thickness. What do you guys think? The welder is 550 new by itself.

Robinhood4x4
10-22-2014, 09:57 PM
1/8" is the minimum material thickness that you can weld? I'd pass. 90% of what I weld is 0.060 tubing. It's cheap and light material, operative word being cheap. This is fencing, tables, work bench, roof rack, just misc stuff. Sure, for truck stuff you're going to be welding 1/8"-1/4", but after you're done with that, then what? The frame is thinner than 1/8".

Seanz0rz
10-23-2014, 06:26 AM
You should be able to find a gently used might machine for that price. I'll post up when I get home tonight.

Kryptoroxx
10-23-2014, 07:23 AM
1/8" is the minimum material thickness that you can weld? I'd pass. 90% of what I weld is 0.060 tubing. It's cheap and light material, operative word being cheap. This is fencing, tables, work bench, roof rack, just misc stuff. Sure, for truck stuff you're going to be welding 1/8"-1/4", but after you're done with that, then what? The frame is thinner than 1/8".
I have found other welders that will do smaller but one of my issues is I can't have pressurized containers in my residence but I do have access to a welder that will do 1/16.

I am looking for a good auto helmet that is budget minded.

4x4mike
10-23-2014, 08:20 AM
If you're newer to welding and have projects lined up I'd go with a wire feed. For me they are much more forgiving and easier to work with. Most models will do flux core (no pressurized cylinders) and MIG in the same machine. There are many 120 and 220 versions out there.

I've got the Harbor Freight auto helmet and it's going on 7 years old. I've had zero problems with it and have been happy with the purchase. It is possible to save some money by getting all the gear but I'd focus on the machine first. The other stuff can be had for pretty cheap and sometimes that stuff is better to buy new.

Seanz0rz
10-23-2014, 08:36 AM
I second the harbor freight auto helmet.

Kryptoroxx
10-23-2014, 08:37 AM
I guess I could save a few more pennies and just pick up this one. it will do all of the thicknesses I need and I don't have to run it off my dryer outlet.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200471413_200471413

Its a Hobart Handler 140 and while it doesn't come with everything it comes with enough to get started. It will do flux as well as mig. Those cylinders aren't cheap though. I could check with my local weldng store and see what they can do for renting a container since I won't be welding every day.

troyboy162
10-23-2014, 09:16 AM
smallest bottle from airgas was ~$100. I have that and now I can exchange it for another gas for just the cost of a fill. So once you are invested with them its a pretty good deal. I still run the flux anyhow for steel....it works :)

Seanz0rz
10-23-2014, 09:27 AM
Check eBay and Craigslist for some good deal a on used equip. Some people buy it for a project and then sell it.

Kryptoroxx
10-23-2014, 10:15 AM
Check eBay and Craigslist for some good deal a on used equip. Some people buy it for a project and then sell it.
You're right about that. You could throw a rock and hit a no name Flux core welder lol.

I am after a piece of equipment I can use for years. There's a milleatic 210 for 1200.....but I don't want to spend that much honestly especially with as little experience as I have welding. If it starts making me some money like the monstaliner has (not much but a couple hundred a job) then I would consider a professional welder. I highly doubt this will be the case though.

Kryptoroxx
10-23-2014, 10:16 AM
smallest bottle from airgas was ~$100. I have that and now I can exchange it for another gas for just the cost of a fill. So once you are invested with them its a pretty good deal. I still run the flux anyhow for steel....it works :)
Hey that's really good! I can stomach 100 bucks after a 500 dollar splurge.

Kryptoroxx
10-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Feel like I should insert my foot somewhere but you guys brought up good points plus black Friday is soon upon us and there will be a sale of some sort. Plus it gives me more time to save cashola. I found a good helmet on amazon on sale and I'm waiting for gloves and a jacket when I can try them on.

4x4mike
10-23-2014, 02:37 PM
That Hobart model is a nice one and one I considered when I bought my Lincoln. I don't weld often and don't have 220v at the area I weld so I went with a 120 unit. I can and might add 220v to my work bench but in the 7 years I've owned my house I haven't needed it. I thought also that I would move into a bigger machine one day but still that hasn't come about.

My Lincoln is a 120v, 110amp (I think), flux core and MIG. I got it from a guy that used it twice in the 5 or so years he owned it. When I bought it I also bought his bottle but after I used it up I found it was expired/couldn't be filled and just turned it in for like $10 (to me). Cost and space was a consideration when I was thinking about buying or renting a tank. I have a spot in my garage for the large tank but it's not where I keep the welder or weld so I'd be disconnecting everything each time even for a quick tack or weld. I went home to think about it and 4 years later I'm still thinking.

I bought a few large spools of flux core at a welding shop on super sale and am still working through them years later. For the welding I do and frequency, the 120v, cost, space etc has been perfect. If I needed more power I'd be getting into projects I'm either not ready for or don't have the time for. Locally there are a ton of fab shops and I've got neighbors and friends with larger machines so my think about time is indefinite.

After a welder there are some tools you'd need to get rolling but over time you can pick those up. Get the HF helmet, some basic gloves at Home Depot or the like, I use my regular leather shop gloves most of the time, and a grinder. Angle grinders are nice for prep and finishing. You'll need cutting wheels, grinding wheels and maybe a knotted wire cup. I also use the sanding disks as they are flexible and give a better finish than a grinding wheel. After that chop saws and tubing notchers are nice depending on what you're building.

I'd sit down and think about what you might get into project wise. Where are you going to be doing the welding, etc. Factor in consumables and things like extension cords and gas fill ups if you go that route.

Kryptoroxx
10-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Been looking at grinders, slag hammers, c-clamps, and I have wire cup brushes.

As for projects what I have in mind I can do with a hobart 140. If I can practice and gain enough skill I would love to take a shot at making some armor but that's a goal for now.
Harbor Freight is a ways away. I do have a tsc right down the road in yucca valley though. Of course amazon is how I get most of my stuff. Man that prime membership is a killer deal for me.

I appreciate all the insight that is given here as I am just getting started with having all my own tools and you guys have done this for years.

Next on the list will be an air compressor but that might be a while. Not sure I quite need one yet.

Robinhood4x4
10-23-2014, 07:35 PM
I hear good things about hobart.

Personally, I have 2 rules about harbor freight. No safety equipment and no precision equipment from them.

Armor is a good project to start with (other than the obligatory welding cart) because it's not really a structural safety item. It's not like a suspension part or trailer hitch where if they were to fail on the freeway you'd be in big trouble.

You'll need to get a cut off saw.

Kryptoroxx
10-23-2014, 08:13 PM
I hear good things about hobart.

Personally, I have 2 rules about harbor freight. No safety equipment and no precision equipment from them.

Armor is a good project to start with (other than the obligatory welding cart) because it's not really a structural safety item. It's not like a suspension part or trailer hitch where if they were to fail on the freeway you'd be in big trouble.

You'll need to get a cut off saw.

As far as projects (yes besides the cart)

-I want to make a bodyweight gym so I can finally work out at my house instead of running to it. I use the TRX so I need a pullup and dip station that is sturdy enough to take side pressures...maybe some monkey bars built in would be cool too.

-Modify my charcoal grill so I can use it to kind of smoke with (kinda vague on this one but I can't mess it up any more than it is already)

-Welding table. Nothing huge just 3x5' for moderate projects. Set it on wheels for mobility.

-Roof Rack and ladder

-Armor Sliders, belly pans, bumpers

-Control Arms ? Eh we shall see on that one.

-Camping Trailer

Besides that there are always brackets I wish I could make by welding

We shall see about the cut off saw immediately lol. My wife will be plenty hopping mad soon anyway and the chop saw might push her over the edge. Here's what I'm looking at at least for welding stuff all in one go (around black friday)

Antra auto-darkening helmet. Can't mess around with the eyes. I was almost blind for a good part of my life till PRK....so I take care of my eyes lol.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NEUAYZ4?psc=1

DeWalt 10amp angle grinder 4.5" disc. I trust DeWalt and haven't had an issue with their stuff ever.
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D28402K-2-Inch-Small-Angle-Grinder/dp/B000BM6BMI/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1414118820&sr=1-2&keywords=angle+grinder

I have clamps but not anything that will hold up to heat lol.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SBCI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2RSPUWMEF4X3R&coliid=I1BV0T1RUZPQX2

I have some shop gloves I have welded with before and I see lots of welding jackets for 30 bucks. That in itself is almost 300 bucks in tools. We shall see what the holiday season has in store.

Seanz0rz
10-23-2014, 08:21 PM
I have a chop saw and only used it a few times. Built everything with an angle grinder.

4x4mike
10-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Tool wise angle grinders are your most used. You can cut and grind with them. I don't like the HF ones. I've owned 3 and never had one last more than 2 projects. All 3 were pitched in the trash years ago. I don't use my chop saw a ton but it's nice to have. So is a large bench grinder and for me a right angle pneumatic die grinder with Rol-Loc pads.

For the price of that Dewalt you can get the nice 4.5" Bosch 2 pack at Home Depot or homedepot.com when they go on sale. Like this (non sale price): http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-7-5-Amp-4-5-in-Grinder-Sag-2-Pack-1380SLIM-2P/203066680

These come in handy: http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-23EL5-8-Inch-Locking-Sheet/dp/B0000TFGFU
Not the best pic but out of my vise grip tools I use welding these are the most handy. Other clamps that are useful are large C-clamps. I bought 4-4" and 4-8" (?) from Northern Tool and I use them to hold piece together and pieces to my table.

My welding cart is my welding table. I had two bed frames I took apart and used them to build the cart with a metal top and shelf mid way down. The shelf holds the welder and a box with my helmet, magnets, valves, tools, etc. The bottom is my scrap steel. The top is a piece of plate steel that I can weld on or use as a rolling heavy table.

Robinhood4x4
10-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Really? Man, I use my chop saw almost every time I break out the welder. I can't imagine not having it. The only time I use an angle grinder to cut something is long plate because I don't have a plasma or oxy acetylene torch to cut plate.

4x4mike
10-23-2014, 09:44 PM
I use the chop saw for angle iron, tube and square tube. I've cut that all with a sawzall as well but if I can get away with the grinder I use it. Nothing against the chop saw though, I like all the sparks.

troyboy162
10-24-2014, 01:17 AM
I am dual wielding grinders now too lol. One has a cut disk and the other has a flap disc. That saves me alot of time since I end up going back and forth constantly between the two. I've never felt the need for a chop saw, but I did borrow a band saw for my link tubes. http://www.roarksupply.com/ has pretty good deal on cut wheels.

Kryptoroxx
10-24-2014, 07:29 PM
Lucky today I decided to do the od clamp for my 1st gen rollbar mod. They are closing down all metal working at the hobby shop. Sadly I think the hobby shop itself is next. Someone apparently thinks that MWR (morale, welfare, and recreation) programs should turn a profit. Thanks for the tip on cutting wheels. Looks like I will be doing all my work at home now. Gotta get a floor jack and some bigger jack stands lol.

Bob98SR5
10-24-2014, 11:57 PM
Definitely buy two angle grinders and set up like Troy suggested. You can do alot and save alot of time that way.

However, a chop saw is nice to have especially if you require some precision. I remember back in the days helping Lance w/ some bumper tubing projects and we spent more time grinding and filling large gaps caused by imprecise cutting w/ the angle grinders. And those large gaps were filled with weld. Looked ugly and then you have to take the flap disc to them.

Lance eventually got a chop saw. I was instantly pissed---all that manual labor over the years and that chop saw made things exponentially easier in terms of the time and effort to get the right cuts and to minimize all the extraneous grinder jury rigging cuts!

Kryptoroxx
10-27-2014, 09:17 AM
I'm looking on Craigslist for a bench grinder, chop saw, and angle grinder. For as little use as they will see I have a better chance at getting quality tools for less and when/if they break I can replace with better/new

Robinhood4x4
10-28-2014, 06:51 AM
I've never felt the need for a chop saw, but I did borrow a band saw for my link tubes.

I'd love to get a big floor bandsaw if I can ever find the room in my garage, although not something I'd recommend as a first tier set of tools.

paddlenbike
10-28-2014, 09:32 AM
I constantly struggle with the desire/need for tools versus space in my garage. My garage is a 2-car and at this precise moment in time, I have two cars in there, but barely. I have thought about starting a garage/tools thread, as I need inspiration for garage re-org.

Kryptoroxx
10-28-2014, 11:57 AM
I constantly struggle with the desire/need for tools versus space in my garage. My garage is a 2-car and at this precise moment in time, I have two cars in there, but barely. I have thought about starting a garage/tools thread, as I need inspiration for garage re-org.
I like that idea. I did my own shelving and hung some stuff from the ceiling but that's it.

Kryptoroxx
11-01-2014, 10:30 PM
So I'm really torn at this point. I found a sawsall and I found a true chop saw. I'm not getting both right now so it's either flexibility with some accuracy sacrifice or great measured cuts with no flexibility and way more expensive blades. Both are Milwaukie brand tools so I'm not worried about quality.
The angle grinder I am getting is Milwaukee as well. Great prices too. Going to pick up a bench grinder from hb while I am down the hill. Their 8" model has great reviews.

Also I am buying the welder brand new. I figure this is the way to do this right as I suck so bad at welding I couldn't tell you if the damn thing is working right or not....so I will practice....probably with Flux in the driveway.

Robinhood4x4
11-02-2014, 06:19 AM
I hardly ever use my sawsall. The only time I've used it is for trimming my palm tree.

Seanz0rz
11-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Other than demolition work, I've used a sawzall to cut rebar, that's about it.

Kryptoroxx
11-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Other than demolition work, I've used a sawzall to cut rebar, that's about it.
I am starting with a grinder. The welder and helmet is going to be a big enough expense. I purchased a number of grinding disc packs and cutting wheel packs for dirt cheap. They are Dewalt branded

Seanz0rz
11-02-2014, 05:27 PM
I built my skidplates, rear bumper, roof rack and tons of other fab projects with just a 4.5" angle grinder, 1/2" corded drill, and my 220V welder.

I've had pretty good luck with the harbor freight cut off wheels and flap discs. As long as you avoid any thrust load on a cutoff wheel and only use the edge to cut with, you should be fine. They usually explode when people push them.

Kryptoroxx
11-02-2014, 07:20 PM
I went with a cheap 50 pack for cutting wheels for 25 bucks and free shipping. I haven't sprung for any flapper discs yet. I have never used them personally. I am getting a bench grinder at hb so I will check out the flapper while I am there.

Good Times
11-03-2014, 03:56 PM
You'll definitely want to get a ton of flap discs to your collection. It'll come in handy to clean up the nastiness that happens from welding! HF is where I get my welding accessories so if you've got one nearby I say hit em up or find em cheaper online somewhere.

Kryptoroxx
11-03-2014, 05:25 PM
You'll definitely want to get a ton of flap discs to your collection. It'll come in handy to clean up the nastiness that happens from welding! HF is where I get my welding accessories so if you've got one nearby I say hit em up or find em cheaper online somewhere.
It's over an hour to one where I am at. What's the price you get them for? I am planning one trip to civilization on black Friday (it's the wife not me) so I might as well get a bench grinder and some flap discs too.

4x4mike
11-03-2014, 08:31 PM
I use flap discs but I really like sanding discs. Home Depot carries the Diablo brand and they are sanding discs the size of DVD's. I buy several packs of each grit I think I need. They usually come with the backing disc when you buy the package. Like the flap disc they remove scale and paint just not a ton of material like a grinding disc.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/diablo%2520fiber%2520disc?NCNI-5

A nice thing about them is that they bend and flex around edges and fillets.

I've had great luck with this bench grinder.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-8-in-Bench-Grinder-with-LED-Light-BG828/204656720

Kryptoroxx
11-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Home depot is a lot closer than hb. Enough to make up the price difference of paying for gas down to harbor freight definitely.

I have been a fan of Rollo discs for removing paint prior to welding and cleaning metal. Not sure how they are on price bulk wise though.

4x4mike
11-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Rollo discs? Do you mean Roloc discs?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rollo+disc&biw=1290&bih=777&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zmlYVNamKo-togSXpoKABA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=roloc+disc&spell=1

These are actually what I use the most but we were talking about grinders. My favorite and most used tool is my IR301 with Roloc pads and discs, hands down. It does require a compressor though so you'll be in it some more cash wise if you don't have one. I get the best results by using the 3" pads and discs on the 2" disc holder.

The consumables are spendy and there are so many different ones you can buy. I used to buy them on eBay and by the 100 and the prices seemed fair. It's been a couple years since I've last bought and the prices have now gone up a bit so I'm a bit more conservative. I've had best luck with 3M brand and I like the scotchbrite pads as well.

Kryptoroxx
11-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Rollo discs? Do you mean Roloc discs?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rollo+disc&biw=1290&bih=777&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zmlYVNamKo-togSXpoKABA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=roloc+disc&spell=1

These are actually what I use the most but we were talking about grinders. My favorite and most used tool is my IR301 with Roloc pads and discs, hands down. It does require a compressor though so you'll be in it some more cash wise if you don't have one. I get the best results by using the 3" pads and discs on the 2" disc holder.

The consumables are spendy and there are so many different ones you can buy. I used to buy them on eBay and by the 100 and the prices seemed fair. It's been a couple years since I've last bought and the prices have now gone up a bit so I'm a bit more conservative. I've had best luck with 3M brand and I like the scotchbrite pads as well.

Yep those are the ones! lol. I usually use them with air tools at the hobby shop but seeing as I don't have 300-400 to throw around I am running them with this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001GUDRI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a lot more powerful than a dremel running at 2 amps and since I am going to be doing mostly small projects I am not worried about overheating it. I have done worse to a dremel and it is still working just fine.

Kryptoroxx
11-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Started getting tools in today. Grinders, cutting discs, flux wire, clamps, and grinding discs all came in the mail today!

Hopefully the wife will let me order the welder and helmet here after black friday/cyber Monday stuff comes out. I really appreciate all the help you guys gave steering me towards a home shop setup. Since the hobby shop is shutting down maybe it will make me a small bit of cash after my welds don't look like nasty metal boogers lol.