PDA

View Full Version : Ford Everest

paddlenbike
12-10-2014, 01:34 PM
I sure don't like the direction Toyota is headed with their trucks and SUVs, but I sure like the direction Ford is headed.

http://expeditionportal.com/media/2014/11/Screen-Shot-2014-11-13-at-3.49.39-PM-640x370.png

"It has a solid rear axle, locking transfer case with a low range, Terrain Management System has settings for street, sand, and snow, as well as throttle responses paired to torque vectoring and of course hill control and even an electric locking rear diff. Fitted with the same 2.0-liter EcoBoost turbo-assisted four-cylinder used in the Ford Fusion, it will also be made available with a 3.2-liter five-cylinder turbo diesel. The diesel will be offered with a real six-speed manual transmission or the current six-speed automatic transmission used in the F-150 truck. At roughly the size of the Explorer, it is a good size for proper off-road pursuits. It even appears to have good approach and departure angles."

First of all, it's not hideously ugly, and in fact, I think it looks both rugged and refined. Solid rear axle, locking diff, MANUAL TRANSMISSION, lots of good things in there. Of course Ford may not import it, but I think it's the only modern SUV that offers any appeal to me whatsoever over what I currently have.

It kills me that an "American company" like Ford will make this for the rest of the world, but not us. And I get why, because American consumers want other things. (Like gaping shark-mouth front ends, apparently.) I'm not your typical consumer.

Kryptoroxx
12-11-2014, 08:41 AM
The profile looks a lot like the sequoia only I'm sure it is a little smaller. Not bad specs either but while it's tempting the quality in my 3rd gen is much better than current standards imo.

It is an attractive vehicle though. Maybe toyota could take a few notes from our forums lol.

DHC6twinotter
12-11-2014, 11:02 AM
It's a nice vehicle, and I like the current styling trend for just about any of the Ford products. Most of the Lincolns look really good too. Ford sells the Everest in the Philippines, and some of my sister's friends over there have an older model. The new Everest looks to have some impressive specs. I really like the international Ranger as well.

I don't know the numbers, but in my opinion, Toyota is losing ground in just about every segment. The medium truck segment is about the only thing they've got, but I think the Canyon/Colorado is going to eat into that. The new Tacoma is supposed to debut in January, so hopefully Toyota can come up with something good. After the facelift on the 5th gen, my hopes are low.

The Scion FR-S; Lexus LS, GS, ES, and LFA; and the Toyota Land Cruiser, Tacoma, and Avalon are about the only Toyota vehicles that I think actually look good. I would still buy some of the other models, but only because they are Toyota. The new Camry is better than the last, but it still looks cheap/bland from the side.

If Toyota would just offer us what they sell in other markets, we would be set.

paddlenbike
12-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Dan, I couldn't agree more. Ten years ago nothing compared to Toyota's quality. In the past four years Toyota has tried so hard to pass GM and take the claim as the largest automotive company, and in doing-so they became more GM-like and less Toyota-like. In the meantime, Ford stepped up their game big time. When we bought our last car in late 2012, we thought the Ford Fusion was ever bit as high quality as the Acura TSX we bought. Two things ultimately sold us on the TSX--we were able to get it in a wagon and we much preferred the Acura's button-laden dash to Ford's completely touch-screen interface. (Having to cycle through menus to switch from radio to climate control is just stupid.) Had it not been for those two things, we would have our first Ford in the driveway. If I were buying a 1/2 ton truck today, it would be the F150.

I was thinking about what it would take to get me out of my current 4Runner, and it's a list that guarantees I'll be driving this for a long time. My wish list would be for basically a modern 3rd gen--similar size, similar exterior appearance, more modern interior. Same or only very slightly less offroad capability. Extended Range Electric Vehicle (ER-EV) drivetrain that is somewhat similar to how the Chevy Volt works. (The new Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SUV will have this.) 30 miles of all-electric range so you can get to work without burning gas but a gasoline engine to get you the range. A "trail mode" button that mimics the Volt's "charge sustain mode" button where you push it before you get to the trailhead, the range extender fires up and ensures your battery is completely full before you reach the trailhead. Now you can do the next 30 miles of your favorite offroad trail in complete silence in all electric mode, with all the instant torque goodness an EV offers. That big battery also means you can run your ARB refrigerator and LED area lights for days on end on the high capacity lithium battery. I would sell the Leaf and the 4Runner for something like that, as it would do the job of both.

paddlenbike
12-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Porsche just came out with the Cayenne S E-hybrid SUV that checks many of the boxes I mentioned above. It has a 10.8 kWh lithium-ion battery which enables pure electric driving up to a top speed of 78 MPH. It has a 95 hp electric motor and a 3.0 liter supercharged V6 (333 hp), a total power of 416 hp at 5,500 rpm and a total torque of 435 lb.-ft. from 1,250 to 4,000 rpm. 0-62 mph in 5.4 seconds and a top speed of 151 mph. All-electric range is 24 miles, which is enough to get me to my charging station at work without burning gas.

Problem...offroad capability isn't there and it costs $76k. What I want is Toyota to put a similar drivetrain in a 4Runner chassis that maintains the offroad capability of models past. Make that drivetrain optional like Porsche did, so you nay-sayers aren't forced into it. Oh, and don't make it ugly Toyota.

Bob98SR5
12-17-2014, 09:29 AM
ken,

you and me both with the large, gaping shark mouth front ends. i wanna take a crap on that designer's desk. I think the Dodge Ram popularized the big front end look on full size trucks. Inexplicably, Audi did so too. I would've bought an A3 station wagon had it not come with the big mouth grill.

paddlenbike
12-17-2014, 09:56 AM
ken,

you and me both with the large, gaping shark mouth front ends. i wanna take a crap on that designer's desk.

Just do it Bob. Do it for all of us! :-)

CJM
12-17-2014, 07:20 PM
I dislike almost everything that has come out, dodge created that stupid bulky look and it seems everyone else followed.

I also think toyota quality has REALLY taken a dive. FRAMES ARE ROTTING ON 05+ tacos FFS! They didnt learn from the damn 95.5-04???

paddlenbike
12-17-2014, 09:15 PM
I also think toyota quality has REALLY taken a dive. FRAMES ARE ROTTING ON 05+ tacos FFS! They didnt learn from the damn 95.5-04???

Bummer. I have noticed that the used 05+ Tacomas on the lot around the corner from my house are priced only $2-3k above the previous generation. A guy I met that buys and sells Tacomas say the 1st gens go for so much because there is literally nothing comparable, except for possibly the Nissan Frontier. The Ranger and S10/Sonoma/Colorado just don't compare.

I can't say I am surprised about the frame problem. I have always thought Dana was a crappy company. Toyota is so much better at building frames and axles.

YotaFun
12-18-2014, 05:27 PM
That thing is sweet!
The specs are good except for one part, if that thing is roughly the size of the explorer, yikes!
I just did a inspection on one today, its like driving a boat its so wide, I feel like I'm drowning in the interior!

I am in agreement though, Ford has come a good ways, if I was going to buy a new truck myself it would be either an F150 or the new F250 with that oh so glorious 6.7l diesel.

Hopefully with time the wide mouth bass or shark mouth theme will go away, I drove a new Avalon the other day and could really see myself in it, the ride was beautiful, but I just can not stand the front end of the car.

When it comes to reliability with today's vehicles its really anyone's game in my mind from working one everything everyday, except for one, that being chevy, they not only dropped the ball but buried it 6 feet under and covered it in concrete, I just don't understand how a brand new 4k mile car can have a rod knock, or a 2014 engine has sludge like it was 20 years old!

Kryptoroxx
12-18-2014, 05:51 PM
When it comes to reliability with today's vehicles its really anyone's game in my mind from working one everything everyday, except for one, that being chevy, they not only dropped the ball but buried it 6 feet under and covered it in concrete, I just don't understand how a brand new 4k mile car can have a rod knock, or a 2014 engine has sludge like it was 20 years old!

Like a rock ;)

I like the camry still but the trucks do look like they were wrecked before they ever left the assembly line.

paddlenbike
12-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Bob, I know how much you like Toyota's new front ends, so here you go:
http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/2016_Toyota_Fuel_Cell_Vehicle_041-750x500.jpg

The new Toyota Mirai foolcell vehicle.

I'm sure it will prove to be a timeless design like the old Acuras:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hsJBVuTJ35Y/VJm-vvyUkpI/AAAAAAAAww4/ZHR_RfWfjt0/s640/10633342_10152737778107410_8834777403889350049_o.j peg

rolleyes

Kryptoroxx
12-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Bob, I know how much you like Toyota's new front ends, so here you go:
http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/2016_Toyota_Fuel_Cell_Vehicle_041-750x500.jpg

The new Toyota Mirai foolcell vehicle.

I'm sure it will prove to be a timeless design like the old Acuras:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hsJBVuTJ35Y/VJm-vvyUkpI/AAAAAAAAww4/ZHR_RfWfjt0/s640/10633342_10152737778107410_8834777403889350049_o.j peg

rolleyes
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. Did they hire blind design engineers?

DHC6twinotter
12-23-2014, 04:53 PM
I don't get why Toyota feels the need to make such ugly automobiles. Do they actually think that looks good?

YotaFun
12-24-2014, 01:33 PM
I don't get why Toyota feels the need to make such ugly automobiles. Do they actually think that looks good?

I guess sales numbers don't lie, if they see $$$ then they think it looks awesome.
Its the way of the future unfortunately, the youth of today controls tomorrows markets...

Seanz0rz
12-24-2014, 01:41 PM
The critical reaction to the Mirai was horrible. I don't think I saw a single review, story, or comment that didn't mention how horrendously ugly it is. But, the Prius is ugly and shoe-like and people buy them by the thousands every year. Never thought I'd say this, but I long for the cars (style at least) from the 80's and early 90's.

CJM
12-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Honestly besides the new taco/tundra and the camry. I find all of toyotas latest offerings VERY fugly. Course I also find most of the new stuff period is fugly. Way to much plastic, way to little chrome, trucks are super low to the ground (besides toyota it seems) and things arent built as well as they once were.

Im with Sean on this, I like the look of the 90's and 80's more than what we have now. The bulkyness is what really kills me-damn trucks look like tanks.

Kryptoroxx
12-24-2014, 02:42 PM
The critical reaction to the Mirai was horrible. I don't think I saw a single review, story, or comment that didn't mention how horrendously ugly it is. But, the Prius is ugly and shoe-like and people buy them by the thousands every year. Never thought I'd say this, but I long for the cars (style at least) from the 80's and early 90's.
This might be a sign that we are also getting older ;)

Rocking chairs and canes anyone?

Seanz0rz
12-24-2014, 03:07 PM
I don't think so. I love the styling direction that Kia has gone with the Optima, Nissan's fleet looks great, even the new Accord and to a lesser degree the Civic look amazing. All of the Fords look great now, and I even like the new Mustang. The Chevy sedans are even starting to look nice. Toyota just manages to push out some of the ugliest cars.

CJM
12-24-2014, 03:59 PM
^ Perhaps thats just it. I find dodge and toyota to have the fugliest offerings tbh.

Seanz0rz
12-24-2014, 04:15 PM
The Corolla looks boring and awkward, as does the Rav4. The Highlander looks meh; just another crossover. The Yaris is OLD, the Camry is trying too hard and not hard enough. The Sequoia is bloated roadkill, same with the Tundra. The 2014 4Runner face has grown on me, but the whole vehicle is too "ruggedized cell phone" for me.

I should add we will be in the market in 6-12 months for a compact-midsize car, something in the Corolla/Camry range, but are considering neither because neither are worth considering. I'm looking at the Focus. Lexi likes the Optima.

YotaFun
12-24-2014, 06:22 PM
I don't think so. I love the styling direction that Kia has gone with the Optima, Nissan's fleet looks great, even the new Accord and to a lesser degree the Civic look amazing. All of the Fords look great now, and I even like the new Mustang. The Chevy sedans are even starting to look nice. Toyota just manages to push out some of the ugliest cars.

Kia isn't too far behind (looking at the current line up the forte variants look a lot like the new corolla and Kia is starting to do that 'lets make all models look exactly the same' thing) so you better grab one quick, just a heads up though when you go to look at one on the lot pull that oil cap and look into the valve body, the GDi and T-GDi motors like to sludge up very easily.....

Nissan seems blah to me, but I drive about 10 of them a day and again they are just very blah, even the infinity versions, buttons are in the most impractical places I feel, and for the market while they don't have many bells and whistles like the rest of the brands out there, I feel the ones they do have were still an after thought at that, again just my opinion, but I feel I would get bored with the car way to quickly compared to others.

I agree on the accord but not so much to civic, having just driven many variations of those, along with the CR-Z I feel its time for a change on there part, I miss the mid-00 civics but again that is just me.

Fords been hitting the nail on the head, especially taking design cues from Aston martin, I would look to purchase a new ford as well, fun to drive, great features (minus the touch screen interface Ken mentioned that on a few occasions I have wanted to throw my phone through the screen) they are nice, I love the new F150 and the Super Duties, and the 5.0 mustang is awesome to drive, but better get it in a manual, just had a 12 in that will most likely be getting a brand new transmission, the original has already been rebuilt once, from what I have read apparently Ford will only warranty rebuild it once and then after that you are SOL....

GM in general I think has been doing a fine job design wise, especially the new Impala, Sierra 1500, and a few of the Buicks, but I just can't get over there build quality, its just so horrible, and the EcoTech and Turbo version are just horribly under powered, I feel the 4Runner can still throw me into the back of the seat loaded down with a trailer compared to those engines....

I drove by the local Toyota Dealership by work that had the brand new 2014 TRDPro sitting out on the front lot and I about ran my Camry into the show room, "just take the keys and give me the ones to that 4Runner!"

Seanz0rz
12-24-2014, 07:03 PM
I am really looking at the Fusion and Focus hatch. I wish the Fusion came in a wagon, I'd buy a green one in a heartbeat.

Bottom line is, while I don't think you can buy a bad car in these segments (Chrysler 200, Dodge Dart and the Chevys might prove me wrong), there is nothing that really stands out as exceptional, especially in the mid level trims.

The Kia Forte has always been lagging behind the competition a bit, I think the Elantra is probably the better buy, although my wife liked the Koup she drove to Nebraska.

Kryptoroxx
12-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Eh I won't be in the market for a brand new vehicle for quite some time. I feel buying used is the way to go honestly. The only way I would go brand new would be a lease on an EV. The battery tech is still developing. I do like the Ford Fusion but I don't jive with most of the designs out there. I was actually looking at an 01 or 02 Camry and seriously considering picking one up. It was one of the best cars I ever owned.

Seanz0rz
12-24-2014, 07:37 PM
I totally agree with the buy used strategy. I have a 97 and a 98, I am pretty sick of fixing a car every weekend. I would like something that isn't someone else's problem, has a warranty, and is nice. I will keep a car for 200k or more, so dealing with depreciation doesn't really concern me.

CJM
12-25-2014, 07:20 AM
Ive finally hit the point where Im going to buy a newer used truck myself. I decided on the Silverado or the older Tundra or if i can find an F150 in good shape (dislike the 5.4L and its issues and I HATE the interior..its ugly). I find the Gm trucks at least are actually built quite well, we have an 11, 12, 13 at work and no issues with any of them except the slide pins on the calipers on the 11 (its does have 150k on it). If I can find a clean Tundra Ill be happy, most have had the frame replaced by now and seem ok. Im just picky since i wanted the 5 speed trans and vvti of the 05-06 but want a bench seat (which apparently wasnt a popular choice those years) and x-cab (also harder to find).

paddlenbike
12-26-2014, 01:24 PM
I had to laugh at Sean's comment about missing some of the cars from the 90s because some of my favorite cars are from that era. The Acuras in the picture I posted previously are all 1986 model year--nearly 30 years old and they still look good (IMHO). I can't look at a 5th gen or a new Toyota without a feeling of disgust.

I don't hate all of the new cars, even Hyundai and Kia are making some cars that look and drive nice. But I would be scared to own a direct injection car, I hate the driving dynamics of CVTs with a passion, and even the best automatic transmissions just don't do it for me, except for maybe a car used solely for commuting. (Even then I'd want at least one manual trans in the stable.)

I've been a huge motorhead since I was a little kid, but I think I am realizing that my interest in NEW internal combustion cars is waning...I love the way the EVs drive, and I absolutely love the lack of maintenance. And there are plenty of internal combustion cars from the past I'd love to own (mostly Inline 6 BMWs, V12 Aston Martins and other cars I wouldn't spend my money on), but the fact that I am no longer reading Road & Track and Autoweek and now spend more time on InsideEVs.com (www.insideevs.com) is probably pretty telling.

Seanz0rz
12-26-2014, 03:01 PM
http://jalopnik.com/forget-what-youre-doing-just-watch-80s-motorweek-tests-1675302125

Kryptoroxx
12-26-2014, 03:32 PM
I had to laugh at Sean's comment about missing some of the cars from the 90s because some of my favorite cars are from that era. The Acuras in the picture I posted previously are all 1986 model year--nearly 30 years old and they still look good (IMHO). I can't look at a 5th gen or a new Toyota without a feeling of disgust.

I don't hate all of the new cars, even Hyundai and Kia are making some cars that look and drive nice. But I would be scared to own a direct injection car, I hate the driving dynamics of CVTs with a passion, and even the best automatic transmissions just don't do it for me, except for maybe a car used solely for commuting. (Even then I'd want at least one manual trans in the stable.)

I've been a huge motorhead since I was a little kid, but I think I am realizing that my interest in NEW internal combustion cars is waning...I love the way the EVs drive, and I absolutely love the lack of maintenance. And there are plenty of internal combustion cars from the past I'd love to own (mostly Inline 6 BMWs, V12 Aston Martins and other cars I wouldn't spend my money on), but the fact that I am no longer reading Road & Track and Autoweek and now spend more time on InsideEVs.com (www.insideevs.com) is probably pretty telling.
I will have to agree with you and Sean on my favorite cars being from the 80's and 90's. There are a few recently that caught my attention like the FR-S and the FT-1. Those cars are strongly related to cars from the 90's though too.

Anyway I think some of this has faded over to racing as well. F1 racing has gone to so many computers that they pretty much turn the steering wheel anymore. I remember when they had to shift between their legs and abs was "too heavy" lol. Those guys rocketed along with no power assisted steering, no abs, no traction control, and no fear. In the 80's f1 rocked 1200 and 1300 b hp engines! That is set of balls to hop in those suckers.