PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive cloning software

Henry
04-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Hey guys, just bought a new hard drive to replace the old one that sounds like its on its last breath. Anyone know which cloning software works best? So far I've narrowed it down to Acronis True Image and Norton Ghost but theres been rave reviews and horrible ones for both so I dont know which to use. Or are there any other recommended programs?

MTL_4runner
04-27-2007, 11:45 AM
I've used both of those, but I honestly still like Norton Ghost when I'm cloning HD's.
Acronis works well as a backup imager, but I still feel more comfortable using Ghost for HD transfers.
Hopefully some IT people will comment and we can all learn what the pros use.

Seanz0rz
04-27-2007, 11:46 AM
ive only used an ancient program called image cast.

norton ghost ive seen people use, and liked it from that, but have no hands on experience with it.

Henry
04-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Ok, so I settled on using the discwizard software that came with the seagate hard drive after reading on another forum that it looks like acronis and basically might be acronis true image with a few options grayed out since my older hard drive really sounded like it was on its last leg. After switching out the hard drives and booting with the newly cloned drive, there were a few issues that popped up immediately, but were all minor. I had to redo my internet connection because something screwed it up, and my microsoft office is a bit messed up but other than that, it has been working fine . . so far. I've tested a few other apps and they all seem to run fine too. Also slightly off topic, the older drive I took out was a western digital, and I just have not had any luck with these drives. They run really noisily and this is the second one that was or was about to crap out on me (they both came installed). Seagates all the way.

firebane
06-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Definitely check out Acronis Diskmanager for sure. Its really updated and does a lot more than just imagining for your drives. I use it at work to image peoples hard drives if it isn't to much data.