PDA

View Full Version : 99 Rav4 ?

Thornton Melon
04-28-2007, 07:01 AM
I'm helping a friend tune up his Rav4 today and was wondering if anyone knows the location of the fuel filter? :headscratch:

MTL_4runner
04-28-2007, 07:35 AM
I haven't changed one on a Rav4 myself, but I did find this which might help.

"First remove the airbox and disconnect the vacuum hose and the connectors, remove the lower box be removing the 3 bolts, disconnect the wiper fluid bottle and put it a side, also remove the clip that is holding the sensors, now you will take off the 2 bolts that is holding down the fusebox and release the plastic clamps that is holding the wires in place, now your fuse box is free and you can put it towards the front to secure room for the fuel filter, at this point the fuel filter is visible, do not remove the filter brackets off just yet, you need to disconnect the lines, they are on there really tight, you will need a 17mm socket and a 19mm spanner wrench to remove the banjo bolt from the top, do not attempt to remove or install the banjo bolt with only the socket, this will damage the filter. The bottom you will need a 17mm spanner wrench and a 14mm Flare wrench, 14mm spanner will work, but there is a chance of stripping the head of the bolt. You will need to tighten down the return line first(Bottom) before you bolt down the feed line (Top) fill the filter with either gas, injector cleaner or octane booster then torque down the banjo bolt. After tightening down the fuel lines to the appropriate torque specified. put everything back together and you're done. It is recommended to change out the PCV valve at the same time."

Thornton Melon
04-28-2007, 08:18 AM
I haven't changed one on a Rav4 myself, but I did find this which might help.

"First remove the airbox and disconnect the vacuum hose and the connectors, remove the lower box be removing the 3 bolts, disconnect the wiper fluid bottle and put it a side, also remove the clip that is holding the sensors, now you will take off the 2 bolts that is holding down the fusebox and release the plastic clamps that is holding the wires in place, now your fuse box is free and you can put it towards the front to secure room for the fuel filter, at this point the fuel filter is visible, do not remove the filter brackets off just yet, you need to disconnect the lines, they are on there really tight, you will need a 17mm socket and a 19mm spanner wrench to remove the banjo bolt from the top, do not attempt to remove or install the banjo bolt with only the socket, this will damage the filter. The bottom you will need a 17mm spanner wrench and a 14mm Flare wrench, 14mm spanner will work, but there is a chance of stripping the head of the bolt. You will need to tighten down the return line first(Bottom) before you bolt down the feed line (Top) fill the filter with either gas, injector cleaner or octane booster then torque down the banjo bolt. After tightening down the fuel lines to the appropriate torque specified. put everything back together and you're done. It is recommended to change out the PCV valve at the same time."

Holy Crap...
Thanx that helps alot

Thornton Melon
04-28-2007, 05:14 PM
A pic for anyone looking for it in the future...

http://hotimg6.fotki.com/a/69_208/117_148/Rav4fuelfilter.jpg (http://hotimg6.fotki.com/p/a/69_208/117_148/Rav4fuelfilter.jpg)

MTL_4runner
04-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Wow, talk about buried!

91ToyTrck
04-30-2007, 04:39 PM
It's like a treasure hunt to find that piece! That's some great info...thanks.