PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel bearing seal

4x4mike
01-27-2019, 08:37 PM
I've had my 4th gen for a year now and about 6 months ago I realized I had a torn cv boot. I bought a reboot kit and it has sat for the past 6 months until this weekend. I decided to reboot but ran into huge problems pulling the cv. All said and done it took two hours to get the SOB out.

Rebooting was a breeze and took me back to my bike shop days but then it was time to get the shaft back in. The cv slid into the diff fine but when I went to put the outer most part of the shaft back through the backing plate I realized a seal was pretty chooched. It's a lipped seal and HAD a spring around it's edge. In my struggle to remove the cv I broke the spring into two and ripped a piece of the lip.

I put everything back together but now I need to order a part. As far as I can tell it's #10 Dust Seal (P/N 43442-35060) shown below but can't find much about it online. No pictures or write ups per se. I want to make sure this is the correct part but with it being the weekend the parts departments aren't open to even take a look.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7809/46895035831_e7ebe870a3_z.jpg

Another thing that's kind of got me is the placement of #10 in the schematic. It appears #10 is between the backing plate and the bearing. I suppose it could be and still be visible from the rear but would I need to pull the caliper, backing plate, etc to get to and replace the seal?

I'm driving around on it now and everything is fine. With the cv full seated in the knuckle you can't even tell there is a seal let alone it's beat up. So, should I order #10 sight unseen? Do you think it's an easy pop in pop out, or will I need to pull the brakes a part to get in there? Should I just run it as it is? I know the seal is there for a reason and I assume the bearing unit is sealed, is there much harm in leaving it the way it is.

I thought I remember Sean digging into his Lexus bearings and I was hoping Avi and Toyotech could give some knowledge as well.

Thanks guys.

4x4mike
01-28-2019, 09:24 AM
Found my part. Ends up it is not #10 but #2 in this image. Makes more sense now. P/N 90316-72001.

It is suggested that this part be changed out when the cv is removed in an effort to protect the wheel bearings.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7809/46182467664_5f21e6dd5c_z.jpg

Good Times
01-28-2019, 09:44 AM
nice find. I was going to post something last night but passed out before I got to finish writing something. my bad! I was going to say I don't think that's the right part but looking at the second pic it definitely makes more sense. I've swapped out my axles and have never had to replace that part (though my truck only has less than 60k miles on it though). Curious how you banged it up so much you cracked it.

4x4mike
01-28-2019, 10:10 AM
I originally pulled the two large bolts under the LBJ to move the knuckle. This is usually all most guys do. My knuckle wouldn't move enough to allow the cv to clear the knuckle. I then removed the link to the knuckle from the sway bar to get more movement but it was barely enough. I could get the end of the shaft out of the hub but not out of the knuckle.

The end of the shaft stabbed the seal several times while I wrestled the thing free. At that point I was pissed and was either going to toss a match on it or just walk away. I've got the seals on order so I need to get back in there and of course I've got to do the other side now.

Seanz0rz
01-28-2019, 02:12 PM
The end of the shaft stabbed the seal several times while I wrestled the thing free.

Pretty sure we've all been there! TeeHee!

Seal is listed as a non reusable part, even though no one ever replaces them unless they are completely destroyed.

Oh and let me know if you need any pages from the FSM.

4x4mike
01-28-2019, 02:45 PM
Thanks. I think I have a 120 platform FSM but haven't opened it.

Good Times
02-03-2019, 08:52 AM
Mike I also have the full FSM for my 4runner so it should work for yours too. (hopefully)

4x4mike
05-23-2019, 02:27 PM
Quick update, need to wake up the "What's New" sections as well. The seal is a really nice piece. Metal backed rubber seal with spring. The black dust cover on the outside of the hub needs to be removed to remove the axle bolt. This dust cover is the perfect size needed to drive the new seal in. Worked well and it tested fine on the Mojave Road back in March.