PDA

View Full Version : Mystery smell, invisible fluid?

xcmountain80
04-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Ok a few weeks ago I went to the dealership to have my recalled lower bj's replaced. A week or so after that I added a transmission cooler. Withing the last two weeks I noticed a different smell, initially thinking and smelling like tranny fuid I climbed under in search of a leak. Keep in mine I have Budbuilt skids, so in the event of a leak anywhere other than the ground it would be on the skid. Not the case, there is nothing on the ground and certainly nothing on the skid hey are as clean as the day I painted them. I did notice a ever so slight leak of oil, looks like someone backed my oil filter off 1/16th of a turn (damn dealer) so I tightened it back. I looked under the hood for a wet spot, nothing other than the oil. I do not remember what syn oil smells like when it burns but certainly not a sweet smell like coolant. I have noticed this sweet coolant smell which started as the transmission smell. So in short I have no visible leak other than the slightly saturated spot under the oil filter, no spray back from a only leaks when driving and saturates something further down the vehicle. nothing just a smell which seems to come through the AC but when I sniff to verify seems to be gone? WTF! :chair:

Aaron

MTL_4runner
04-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Did you attach the tranny cooler to the radiator?
Is the level of your coolant down at all?

xcmountain80
04-30-2007, 08:38 AM
No but thanks for stating this as Im certain this could easily happen. The coolant level is just over the fins when warm, there is little to no coolant in the over flow tank.

Aaron

slosurfer
04-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Sounds like it is time to rent a pressure tester. Could be that it is leaking somewhere once it reaches a certain temp and is being burnt off before it goes anywhere.

MTL_4runner
04-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Refill the overflow tank to the full mark when cold and fill the radiator completely to the top as well (I mean so full that some spills over when you go to put the radiator cap on). Then drive it over a few days and check to see if the level in the overflow tank is dropping. If it is, you are losing coolant and you'll have to search out a leak. If you can rent/buy a pressure tester, that would definately help you find your leak if there is one.

xcmountain80
04-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Well I'll be an unkey's moncle as I refilled the res. tank and topped off the radiator, I grabbed my trusty superfire flashlight and went to inspecting the under side of the fan shroud, and what did I find? A little demon had bitten a hole in my radiator! Of course the demon was killed instantly by the surefire 120 lumen bulb. Though hid damage still remained and the leak had been discovered in time. So now I ask should I JB weld it and hope it holds, or replace the radiator. In the event of replacement with stock? maybe an AL if someone makes a direct replacement? What do you think?
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/Repair/P4302051.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/Repair/P4302050.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/Repair/P4302049.jpg

Aaron

MTL_4runner
04-30-2007, 12:05 PM
That's what I thought.

I don't suggest the JB weld fix since there may be more holes to come....never know.
Just get a recored one from a rediator shop or even the dealer will usually carry them.