PDA

View Full Version : Is this 96 worth it?

Jrun
05-02-2007, 05:11 AM
I have a 97 but I am looking at this 96 for my older sister who has 2 kids and is always leasing a new truck every three years and due to financial problems no longer can do so.

89,000 miles
Only one owner
In excellent condition inside and out
Toyota-serviced
Oil changed every 3000 miles, and all service records
4 WD
Automatic transmission
A/C
Cruise control
AM/FM cassette + CD player
Power sunroof + wind deflector
Michelin LTX M/S 265/16/75 tires

Hes asking $7500 and this is in the North east

What do you think?

bamachem
05-02-2007, 05:30 AM
not bad considering the mileage, but may be on the high side depending on the overall condition and how many records come with it. however, has the timing belt and water pump been changed? even w/ the lower miles, it's way overdue one for it's age.

that's about $500 at a local independent and $800-ish at a dealer for the full 90-k service plus a few extras that you should do while you're in there.

Jrun
05-02-2007, 05:35 AM
I am going to find out today about the timing belt/water pump. He sounds like an older guy which doesn't mean much but he said it was garage kept which is good, but the NE really does the damage underneath and thats what I am going to have to see.

bamachem
05-02-2007, 05:58 AM
if it's in as good condition as what he says it is and the TB/WP service has been done, offer him $6500 and see where he'll go.

MTL_4runner
05-02-2007, 06:00 AM
Look for rust issues because it doesn't take long for winters to take their toll (ie roll under the vehicle and have a look see). I agree with Bamachem on the T-belt and WP issue, definately check the records for that as well. These trucks will do alot of miles so don't be afraid to go for a truck that has had good service records but has high mileage (ie even something in the 125-150K range would still have decent life left if maintained well). I'd probably offer $6000 if the services have not been done, maybe $6700 if they have.