PDA

View Full Version : An OME shock question

DNAhilux
05-02-2007, 05:14 PM
OK, just looking for the easiest answer despite everyones own tastes of suspension. Im changin out my suspension and wil be getting OME shocks. Now the q is in which order of stiffness and degree do each fall when compared to eachother..OME firm, OME comfort, and OEM. I want a firmer ride than my bagged out boat suspension but i do not want my truck breakin to pieces from bumps. Thanks for the help on a redundant topic,,oh ya..99 4Runner

MTL_4runner
05-02-2007, 06:15 PM
You want the OME comfort shocks....I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
They'll be exactly what you mentioned you wanted.

If you want them in order of stiffness (stiffest to softest):
OME firm > OME comfort > OEM Tokicos

DNAhilux
05-02-2007, 07:32 PM
MTL, I knew youd be the one to answer this one. Thanks for the help. The boat feeling is more noticeable especially after a good bike ride. I swear the other day I was going to puke. I want things firmer so potholes and washboards dont throw me, but at the same time my daily driving is comfortable. How are the 881's and 906's doing for you now. Height wise and comfort.

DNAhilux
05-02-2007, 08:05 PM
This is what confuses me...got this off of sonoran site... "For comparison the Old Man Emu N91S Heavy Duty shocks are softer than the stock Tokico shocks the factory used."

mkgarrison5
05-03-2007, 04:38 AM
so the basic shocks that come with the tacos are a softer ride than the tokico comforts??

MTL_4runner
05-03-2007, 06:39 AM
MTL, I knew youd be the one to answer this one. Thanks for the help. The boat feeling is more noticeable especially after a good bike ride. I swear the other day I was going to puke. I want things firmer so potholes and washboards dont throw me, but at the same time my daily driving is comfortable. How are the 881's and 906's doing for you now. Height wise and comfort.

I still love my setup and the all OME suspension works great for what I'm using it for (ie very mild lift and good balance of on/off road capabilities). It's not for people who are into serious offroad or rock crawling but it will do great on fire roads and such. The setup is definately stiffer than stock, but by no means harsh (if it was, my wife would have had me take it off long ago). It also cures the sagging rear end which is why I even started looking at changing the suspension to begin with. Not sure why SS said they were softer, but he may have been talking about the rebound on the shocks. Again most of this is opinion based (on both sides of the coin) because I have yet to see an actual test showing numbers on comparing the different brands/models shocks. It really does come down to personal preference in the end.

DNAhilux
05-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Well youve convinced me. The comforts look like the choice. And if I dont like them ill just put them up for sale here for a great price. It looks like im going to do the 906's with the 880's and a trim packer/spacer up front. I like rake as opposed to level even though I most likely will gain nothing for lift coming from a 99..but my stuff is shot and I am replacing the lot, so as long as i dont de-lift.

MTL_4runner
05-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Well youve convinced me. The comforts look like the choice. And if I dont like them ill just put them up for sale here for a great price. It looks like im going to do the 906's with the 880's and a trim packer/spacer up front. I like rake as opposed to level even though I most likely will gain nothing for lift coming from a 99..but my stuff is shot and I am replacing the lot, so as long as i dont de-lift.

Ok careful with those 880's up front. You might actually go down in ride height rather than up (the 880's sit about 35" from fender to ground on 265/70R16 tires) if you already have a 99 4runner. If you want a rake then go with the 890's in the back and use some OME trim packers up front with your stock coils or use the 881's up front (they'll give you a bit more height than the 99 coils, maybe 0.25-0.5" more).

DNAhilux
05-03-2007, 08:30 AM
See my 99 sits at 35 in the front from ground to bottom of limited flare, and 36 in the rear (with 265/70/16). I am not looking for lift as i like the height but my stuff is shot and would like a better ride. I do not want the 890's since that can put me up to 37-37.5 and then the 881's can put me up as high as 36.25. And in some instances i hear you can get the reverse rake with 881's/906's..I figure i would just add a 10mm trim packer to the fronts to ensure im not below 35 as that will be 0.4in of "lift". I have considered the 890/881's but i have 265/70's and i know it will look retarded and will raise my COG when i dont need it. I just dont want to go down..hence the 880+trim packer or i guess spacer

cplvc
05-03-2007, 08:37 AM
...If you want a rake then go with the 890's in the back...

DNAhilux if you decide to go with OME 890, I'll be selling the pair off of my truck because I just got a BruceTS bumper and ordered 891 coils / n86 shocks. The rear 890 and N86c are great upgrade from the stock setup. Gave me about 2.5in of lift, firmer than stock ride and better cornering. If you're interested PM me. They have never been off-road and have 10k on them.

MTL_4runner
05-03-2007, 08:43 AM
See my 99 sits at 35 in the front from ground to bottom of limited flare, and 36 in the rear (with 265/70/16). I am not looking for lift as i like the height but my stuff is shot and would like a better ride. I do not want the 890's since that can put me up to 37-37.5 and then the 881's can put me up as high as 36.25. And in some instances i hear you can get the reverse rake with 881's/906's..I figure i would just add a 10mm trim packer to the fronts to ensure im not below 35 as that will be 0.4in of "lift". I have considered the 890/881's but i have 265/70's and i know it will look retarded and will raise my COG when i dont need it. I just dont want to go down..hence the 880+trim packer or i guess spacer

Ok, no prob....just wanted to make sure you know what you'd be getting. :thumbup:
Definately get some trim packers for up front to level it out a bit if needed.

MTL_4runner
05-03-2007, 08:45 AM
DNAhilux if you decide to go with OME 890, I'll be selling the pair off of my truck because I just got a BruceTS bumper and ordered 891 coils / n86 shocks. The rear 890 and N86c are great upgrade from the stock setup. Gave me about 2.5in of lift, firmer than stock ride and better cornering. If you're interested PM me. They have never been off-road and have 10k on them.

cplvc, just throw those in the classified section, I guarantee they'll go quickly.

cplvc
05-03-2007, 08:53 AM
cplvc, just throw those in the classified section, I guarantee they'll go quickly.

Great, I'll do that as soon as I have them off and have pictures.

DNAhilux
05-03-2007, 09:12 AM
I think I will go with the 880's + a top out spacer from toytec or SS for the front. I wont change the ride like a trim packer will, but will get the extra 0.5-0.75 in the front to keep me no less than what i have but no more than the rears...im finally getting comfortable...haha..tough road on this one..

MTL_4runner
05-03-2007, 09:26 AM
I think I will go with the 880's + a top out spacer from toytec or SS for the front. I wont change the ride like a trim packer will, but will get the extra 0.5-0.75 in the front to keep me no less than what i have but no more than the rears...im finally getting comfortable...haha..tough road on this one..

Sorry to confuse the matter but......the trim packer would be better because if you're using the OME shocks up front and you put a topout spacer on there then you might be in danger of damaging your CV's at full droop. This won't really be an issue unless you go offroad, but still why chance it. If you feel like you need a topout spacer (like Cornfed, Toytec, etc) then you should probably use a different shock up front (like the Tokico Trekmasters, or similar).

DNAhilux
05-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Yup and that is true. To accomodate that I could also get limiting straps for the front, but i see what you are saying..I guess ill just get the packers at first, see how it sits, and if needed, top outs with limiting straps..the reason for the idea of the top outs would just be to keep the preload off the coils..kinda looking for the perfect Medium duty OME lift..haha

MTL_4runner
05-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Yup and that is true. To accomodate that I could also get limiting straps for the front, but i see what you are saying..I guess ill just get the packers at first, see how it sits, and if needed, top outs with limiting straps..the reason for the idea of the top outs would just be to keep the preload off the coils..kinda looking for the perfect Medium duty OME lift..haha

Sounds like I'm preaching to the choir. :laugh:
Just get us some pics when you're done!

DNAhilux
05-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Well preach away, Its funny as i can see why there are so many questions about lifts and suspension..Different options/choices/opinions. The 906's and 880's are not covered as much as the tested 890 881/tundra setup. I dont need the extra lift nor the stiffness, so im trying to find what sits right with me. Id be happy with 0.5 over my 99 height and a solid yet comfortable ride. I know im asking wayyy to much

DNAhilux
05-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Actually that only was in refernce to the tundra coils (which provide lift)on the OME. Not sure that that will have a significant effect on the OME 880's which are no different really in size from the 99coils. Hmmm.

MTL_4runner
05-03-2007, 03:24 PM
The other option if you're worried about getting the reverse rake with the 906's (which I doubt would happen) would be to use some OME trim packers on the rear coils to give you a bit more rake. I'm just worried that the 880's are going to sit lower than you think. I remember a few people trying them and most were disappointed because it sat lower than they expected. I did see a response from ARB one time saying that the 880's would sit around the same height as the 881's (ie both would lift you 1.25" if your initial ride height was 35" fender to ground), but the problem is so few people have tried 880's it's tough to say exactly what you'll get. You could always get the 880's and if they don;t work for you, sell em on eBay and move to the 881's.

Here's the specs for the OME front coils (ARB never gave us all the info on the 906's):

diameter mm's, length mm's, #coils, weight kg's, spring rate lbf/in.
880, 16, 365, 10.2, 4.7, 500
881, 16, 375, 10.2, 4.7, 500
906, N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A, 220
890, 15, 435, 10.2, 5.7, 190
891, 16, 420, 10, 6.4, 210
892, 18, 400, 10, 8.1, 380

It also depends alot on what truck you put the springs on...

For Tacoma:
880's are designed for 1.75" lift 0-110 front load
881's are designed for 1.75" lift 110-220 front load

For 4Runner
880's are designed for 1.25" lift 0-110 front load
881's are designed for 1.25" lift 110-240 front load

MTL_4runner
05-03-2007, 03:48 PM
I saw one other guy do the combo you're talking about...
Just for reference, the measurements he got with 880/906's and 265/75's were:
Front - 35.5"
Rear - 37"

So you'd subtract 0.5" from each if you're running stock 265/70 tires.
......yep you'll get a rake alright with that setup.

You should see:
Front - 35"
Rear - 36.5" (exactly what I got with my 906's)

DNAhilux
05-03-2007, 04:31 PM
yes id get about 1.5 of rake.. and would be even in the front, but 0.5 higher in the rear now..Im thinking i like the idea of the top outs..i figure if i put a trim packer in then really its just like adding 881's..so im thinking ome 906(plus maybe a trim packer) then the 880\s with a 3/8 top out spacer,,,comforts all around..see i can see the problem with longer coils, but if these will just be stock height the problems of cv issue may not be as bad...and remember i am takin these out as they have had the day and i need a firmer ride..0.5 up would be a bonus

MTL_4runner
05-03-2007, 06:33 PM
The way the front suspension geometry works, the issue of damaging the CVs has nothing to do with ride height, but instead has to do with using topout spacers (which essentially push down on the A-arms giving you lift but also do allow the A-arms to travel farther) in addition to a longer than stock shock like the OME's (which also allows the A-arms to travel more). You put the two together and when the wheel is allowed to fully droop (ie nothing under the wheel) as you might when going offroad and the CV will bind (and break) without the use of limiting straps. The trim packers work differently in that they essentially preload the springs which will result in both lift and a stiffer spring setup, but do not add any to how far the A-arm can move when the wheel is at full droop.

DNAhilux
05-03-2007, 09:39 PM
ok so it looks like for the 880's arb even recommends the comforts but in the rear they have both options..to avoid ass bouncing would it be best to have the firms as compared to the comforts? its fine to run comforts and firms? yes, i suck at deciding

MTL_4runner
05-04-2007, 05:51 AM
Either run all comforts or all firms, I don't suggest mismatching front's and backs. I have seen people do it, but I wouldn't do it myself. If it were me, I'd just go comforts all around and be done with it. I'd bet money you'll be happy with how it rides when you're done.

DNAhilux
05-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Alright I ordered it to finally shut myself up..got the 880/906, with the comforts. and then some trim packes..we shall see what happens.

Lee
05-04-2007, 09:50 AM
im finally throwing my n86 shocks on this weekend.

i took em out of the box last weekend (i bought them LAST JULY!) and they seem like theyre gonna be as soft as my stupid bilstein hd's... :( :(

im not gonna be happy if they are.

MTL_4runner
05-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Lee, were you looking for stiff shocks or a softer setup?

Lee
05-04-2007, 11:16 AM
stiff :(

so i got OME long travel offroad shocks back in july after reading around .... TOF.... i cant decide if i should repackage and sell them or what.

i dont know what a stiffer shock would be though?

DNAhilux
05-04-2007, 11:38 AM
You want stiffer than Bilstein HD? Wow..what springs are you running? Well if you dont like the OME's save them until i try out the comforts and if they suck Ill buy them..haha. Man picking suspension is harder than picking tires, and thats a tonne of work.

DNAhilux
05-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Either run all comforts or all firms, I don't suggest mismatching front's and backs. I have seen people do it, but I wouldn't do it myself. If it were me, I'd just go comforts all around and be done with it. I'd bet money you'll be happy with how it rides when you're done.

Almost forgot about this,,,how much we talking here....say the cost of new shocks?

MTL_4runner
05-04-2007, 12:13 PM
stiff :(

so i got OME long travel offroad shocks back in july after reading around .... TOF.... i cant decide if i should repackage and sell them or what.

i dont know what a stiffer shock would be though?

If you already bought them, at least throw them on this summer (you won't get any rust on them in summer) and try em. Then if you don't like how they feel you can sell them. You may find they ride different than you think they will. Also is the issue for road handling or do you just have some fillings you need knocked out before a dentist visit? :spit:

MTL_4runner
05-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Almost forgot about this,,,how much we talking here....say the cost of new shocks?

Just give NSOR an email asking for a quote on the shocks: info@nsor.com
It's been a little bit and I honestly can't remember exactly how much I paid for each.

DNAhilux
05-04-2007, 01:47 PM

Just give NSOR an email asking for a quote on the shocks: info@nsor.com
It's been a little bit and I honestly can't remember exactly how much I paid for each.

I should have narrowed down the quote: I already ordered them, just wondering what your bet would be? haha..hence...the cost of new shocks

Lee
05-04-2007, 08:49 PM
nah i dont care how it rides on the road really, but offroad my butt-end bounces like no other... at least too much for my comfort. it often stops me from making progress if i have to goose it a little to make it up something.

i am looking to firm up the front and rear, saws up front, stiff shocks with my 891 coils in the back should do it....

ill probably try the ome's out, we'll see.

MTL_4runner
05-05-2007, 04:19 AM
nah i dont care how it rides on the road really, but offroad my butt-end bounces like no other... at least too much for my comfort. it often stops me from making progress if i have to goose it a little to make it up something.

i am looking to firm up the front and rear, saws up front, stiff shocks with my 891 coils in the back should do it....

ill probably try the ome's out, we'll see.

What you're looking for then is not to firm up the shock, but to control the rebound. If this is the case, then the OME's should do you quite well. Definately give them a try before you jump to something else.

Lee
05-05-2007, 04:45 AM
well i noticed they have an odd motion

they shoot down easily but are firm on the way back up (like you said)... im curious to see how this handles wheeling :)

MTL_4runner
05-05-2007, 04:50 AM
well i noticed they have an odd motion

they shoot down easily but are firm on the way back up (like you said)... im curious to see how this handles wheeling :)

Exactly, that is to control rebound....which is a good thing when offroading.
It should keep your bouncy rear end in check. :laugh:

Lee
05-07-2007, 04:03 AM
i ate friendly's and wendy's this past weekend. nothing will control my bouncy rear end :(

DNAhilux
05-19-2007, 05:06 PM
sweet so i picked up my stuff yesterday from the border. i went with the ome 880/906 and the comforts at all 4 corners. i got some trim packers for the front and rear..ill decide come the instal what i will put on..just gotta say that Chris at 4x4connection is awesome once again. Ordering from these guys has always been nothing but great help, experience and service.

DNAhilux
05-30-2007, 09:32 PM
OK so suspension is on finally..woo. So 906 in the rear. 880's + 1 trim packer in the front..Initial measurements (before and after)are from 35 to 36 in front and 36 to 37 for the rear. This is for ground to fender on 265/70/16. First impression..awesomeness. Its only been on a few hours so we'll see how it settles. Steering wheel is dead centre and no wandering, so ill wait a week or so to align. Its dark so pics tomorrow after i get a new memory card since its telling me the card is locked..weird stuff. But it drives like its on rails..its firmer obviously but not jarring,,soaks up everything..i was aiming for potholes.haha wow is it nice..pics tomorrow

MTL_4runner
05-31-2007, 06:22 AM
Glad you like the setup! :thumbup:
Hope to see some pics soon too. :P

DNAhilux
05-31-2007, 07:00 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e266/4RunnerDNA/ome/CIMG1362.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e266/4RunnerDNA/ome/CIMG1369.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e266/4RunnerDNA/ome/CIMG1368.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e266/4RunnerDNA/ome/CIMG1361.jpg