PDA

View Full Version : Broke my oil pressure sensor while changing the oil

mkgarrison5
05-03-2007, 04:43 AM
lol i dont know how common this is but i had to laugh at myself. i was changing the oil the other day and normally i just turn the front tire and get the oil filter that way but it was pretty tight so i gently put an oil filter wrench in there just to loosen it up and couldnt get it in there right so i went under the truck and when i was looking around i noticed that i broke the oil sensor where the plastic part meets the metal bell piece that attaches to the block. JOY!! i felt pretty stupid. i should have dropped the front bottom skid plate instead of taking shortcuts.. lesson learned..... btw, i couldnt screw the whole sensor in but pretty close. you think it would leak?? i think it only needed 2 more turns or less.. anyway 30$ mistake for taking a shortcut.. i guess ill be dropping the plate from now on..

emptypockets
05-03-2007, 04:55 AM
Dang, that was an expensive oil change! I've never been able to reach the filter except through the wheel well. The brainy engineers at Toyota goofed on the placement of our oil filters!

MTL_4runner
05-03-2007, 06:06 AM
MK, the easiest way by far to get the filter out is to go through the wheel well. I use a set of oil filter pliers (you could also use a filter wrench) and I haven't had any trouble at all. Once you know the trick the oil changes get alot easier and you don't even need to remove the skid plate to do them. I hope the sender isn't too expensive (give Northridge Toyota a call for that).

If you haven't seen oil filter pliers, here's what they look like:
http://www.eurocarparts.com/sealey/images/AK6412.jpg

I think even Wally World has them.

mkgarrison5
05-03-2007, 07:05 AM
i have already replaced it. i had to get one from the local stealership for 30$.. it was a pain to screw in bc of location and tight fit.. i screwed it in the best i could. i think it could have used a turn or more i didnt have much room and i didnt want to break it again... ill look into those oil filter pliers. i had the wrench but it was too big hence the reason my oil pressure sensor broke bc i hit it trying to turn the oil filter.. go figure.....

DNAhilux
05-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Been there. I was changing my oil and the previous change was done by the dealer (winter time) and they put that filter on sooo tight.are we the few who practice the "gasket contact+ 3/4 turn"? It took an oil filer wrench lined with sandpaper and a screwdriver plus force to get that off..oh , and the pressure sensor..went to napa and got one for 15 bucks since it was a saturday. And yes it is a tight area to wrench it on,,so i bought a cheapo wrench and cut it in half..best tool ever! I have created my own stubby set for my toyota.

DNAhilux
05-03-2007, 07:17 AM
Forgot to mention the easiest way to do the change is to get the filter wrench that snugs over the top of the wrench with a 3/4 socket receiver..I run an elbow plus 2.5 extensions and im pretty much changing the oil from outside the wheelwell. easy times.

mkgarrison5
05-03-2007, 07:51 AM
yeah i am going to have to figure something out. i was thinking of buying either the wrench or the "cap" method..

DNAhilux
05-03-2007, 08:21 AM
The cap method is the easiest that I have ever done. As long as you do your own changes and dont overtighten. If this is the case the oil changes are a cake walk..I put on the cap wrench and loosen the filter to almost off, then put my hand through the access area above the frame and loosen the rest of the way with a quick tilt to have the open part of the filter up and not spill oil..the filter slides out through the access area. clean up the seat area on the block..take new filter with cap on and pass through the acces area and spin down till the gasket contacts the block..put on the wrench elbow then the extensions and by looking at the marker added arrow on the filter wrench cap i go exactly 3/4 turn...perfect..i have never had a leak or need for adjustment..serioulsy the time to change the filter becomes the easy part, and adding the oil becomes the "tough" job.