PDA

View Full Version : Auterra Palm Software

BennyTRD
05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Wondering who, if anyone, has used this software before, and what your experiences are with it. Been looking for something to replace the old code reader and I think I have found it. I will most likely opt for the Palm Version as it looks like a more convenient solution for me than carrying the laptop around. I know Jamie, you said you've had alot of experience with this as well so please your input would be muchly appreciated.

BTW, This board looks great. Alot of handy info on here. Great work guys.

BennyTRD
05-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Link
http://www.auterraweb.com/

MTL_4runner
05-03-2007, 01:02 PM
There's alot of OBD software and readers out there but I have still yet to find one that I personally like more than the Auterra (I'm always on the lookout though). What makes it really convienent is the ability to link to your Palm-based PDA (you can't beat that for portability). The problem with most OBD II scan tools is that if they provide a a lot of information on the screen, you need a high resolution screen and do have this you need to develop it through R&D, R&D costs money and thus the cost is passed on to you the consumer. I am pointing this out because Palm has already done the R&D work on the high resolution screen for you and spread the cost over millions of consumers rather than the much smaller group the dedicated OBD tool makers have. The best part is that the Palm is essentially a super portable computer so you can take it with you in the care and even view it in your hand while driving (don't reccomend this though...have a friend read it for you). The Palm is also fully upgradeable so as new software comes out, just hotsync it and away you go with new added features. I've been using mine since 1999 and I can't tell you how many cars/trucks I've diagnosed with it but every time I take it out, people's jaw just drops when they see what it can do. You can even check out vehcile before you buy them to see if there might be something wrong but it hasn't thrown a CEL yet. The only down side is the price, but at around $200-250 it's still beats the heck out of taking it to a shop and paying them $70+/hr to diagnose stuff for you. The Auterra also supports CAN so if you have a newer vehicle that does support that protocol it is definately worth having (BTW the BR-3 doesn't support that at all AFAIK).

There are so many features on the Auterra that you could go on for a while about what you could do with them all but there's a few of them that I use alot.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (Obviously!)http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/auterra/TroubleCodes.gif

DTC Lookup (very handy, tells you what the code it just by clicking on it)http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/auterra/DTCLookup.gif

Freeze Frame (again very handy, tells you the conditions the ECU saw when the CEL went off)http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/auterra/Freeze.gif

Dual Graph (very useful, esp for testing catalytic converters and O2 sensors)http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/auterra/DualGraph.gif

List (helps to see a bunch of readings at once or if things are related)http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/auterra/List.gif

Fuel Economy (find your best highway cruising speed, verify engine/drivetrain efficiency, etc)http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/auterra/FuelEconomy.gif

I guarantee if you get one, you won't regret it one bit.

BennyTRD
05-03-2007, 01:31 PM
So Jamie you find that the resolution is more than adequate using a Palm? I currently have a Tungsten C thats a few years old, but none the less its pretty decent as Palms go. I think I may just have to bite the bullet and get the software. I always like to monitor things and this sounds like the best tool to do so.

BennyTRD
05-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Another thing Jamie, can you bring that information once its on your PDA, back onto your computer with thier software? Or can you only look at it on the Palm?

MTL_4runner
05-03-2007, 02:46 PM
So Jamie you find that the resolution is more than adequate using a Palm? I currently have a Tungsten C thats a few years old, but none the less its pretty decent as Palms go. I think I may just have to bite the bullet and get the software. I always like to monitor things and this sounds like the best tool to do so.

If you have an old Tungsten C lying aorund, it would be fine for viewing the Auterra software. I use an old Palm M130 I had lying around myself (it's a bit small, but I used an M515 before that which is the same screen size as yours and I had no trouble at all seeing what I needed to....even the M130 is doing me just fine for now). The laptop version does have better graphics and better resolution but you don't get any more features than what you would with the Palm version. The major drawback with the laptop is the portability (yes, I know a laptop is portable, but it won't fit in your pocket now will it?! :laugh: )

MTL_4runner
05-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Another thing Jamie, can you bring that information once its on your PDA, back onto your computer with thier software? Or can you only look at it on the Palm?

Yep, you can.....look at page 67 of the owner's manual.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/auterra/Dyno-ScanPalmManual.pdf

There's a whole bunch of stuff you can download and try on their "download section:
http://www.auterraweb.com/downloads.html

BennyTRD
05-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Well, sold the old OBDII scanner to a friend, and the Auterra is on order. Ordered the version with CAN. Like the website states, all vehicle made in the US (and most likely Canada), are going to be using CAN after 2008. So I can continue to use the software when I buy the new and illusrious 2008 Tundra!!!

Thanks for you help in spending my hard earned money Jamie!!!

BennyTRD
05-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Jamie did you have any problems getting your Palm to connect to your vehicle?? I am constantly getting a :no Communication Scan Tool" error. Everything is hooked up and the little green light on my Palm is on (just like when its charging on the Hotsync cradle). Sent an e-mail to Auterra but haven't heard back yet. Any advice?

MTL_4runner
05-24-2007, 06:44 AM
Ben, that Treo doesn't sound like it's being very kind to you.

I wonder in the connecting issue and the touchscreen issue might be related (ie it's not connecting well so it begins to lock up on you). I had a Sony CLIE PEG-NX70V that said it was supported on their website, but for whatever reason, I could never get it to work (it wouldn't connect either). I'm not sure what the issue was, I just switched to a different Palm device (my current M130 which I got free) that I use exclusively for running Auterra.

Try looking in the "troubleshooting" section of the manual (starts on P71):
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/auterra/Dyno-ScanPalmManual.pdf

BennyTRD
05-24-2007, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the reply Jamie. I recieved an e-mail from the people at Auterra and they asked me to try it on another vehicle to make sure it wasn't a problem with the 4Runner. They also told me maybe my truck wasn't OBD II equipt?? :screwy: We all know the answer to that one. Well it didn't work on 2 other cars. a 2005 Chev Silerado, and 2000 Sunfire. So its something wrong with the software/hardware.

This is the Palm I have. A Tungsten C. It is compatable according to their website, and its has more than adequate memory and the Software verison of th Palm O/S is 5.2.
http://www.simplyok.com/asiatechdirect/images/palm_tungsten_c.jpg

I had also purchased this cord. A serial Hotsync cable via e-bay.
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/yatchai/.mids/CP500SR.JPG

It appears to be exactly the same as the ones Auttera sells but without the palm logo. I think maybe this is where my problem lies. I'm not sure at this point. Waiting to hear back from Auterra again to see if theres something else it could be. Maybe I'll see if I can't find another Palm for a guinea pig.

BennyTRD
05-24-2007, 07:28 AM
I was just refering to the Auterra site and we use the same Hotsync cable. C-103 according to their site. Did you get yours from them Jamie or did you all ready have one. My Palm came with a USB Hotsync cradle.

MTL_4runner
05-24-2007, 08:20 AM
They also told me maybe my truck wasn't OBD II equipt??

:rofl: Ok, why didn't the guy just come out and say I don't know what the problem is?!
I would have emailed back.....Duh, Hello?! OBD II is on all vehicles 1996 and newer and it says so right on your website!!!!!!!

MTL_4runner
05-24-2007, 08:31 AM
I was just refering to the Auterra site and we use the same Hotsync cable. C-103 according to their site. Did you get yours from them Jamie or did you all ready have one. My Palm came with a USB Hotsync cradle.

Funny you mention that because the cable I use now is a real Palm serial cable (same as what you'd get from Auterra), but the one that I never did get working was a serial cable I got off eBay. I tried to hotsync to be sure that the cable worked (and it did hotsync) but maybe the cable was too cheaply built that it affected the connection process somehow. I would get a genuine serial cable (from Auterra or otherwise) first to be sure that is not the issue.

BennyTRD
05-24-2007, 08:42 AM

Funny you mention that because the cable I use now is a real Palm serial cable (same as what you'd get from Auterra), but the one that I never did get working was a serial cable I got off eBay. I tried to hotsync to be sure that the cable worked (and it did hotsync) but maybe the cable was too cheaply built that it affected the connection process somehow. I would get a genuine serial cable (from Auterra or otherwise) first to be sure that is not the issue.

These were my thoughts aswell. I am trying to get a new Hotsync cable locally first, but the guy from Auterra also mentioned I may have a defective OBD II adapter. So still looking into things. AHHH!!

MTL_4runner
05-24-2007, 10:23 AM
The real PITA is that Palm brand serial cables for these PDAs are getting harder and harder to find now. I thought I'd save some money by getting one off eBay and it might have backfired on me. Although it's possible you got a faulty OBD II adapter (but not likely), I'd exhaust the other options first. I'll be happy to help you verify if the OBD II adapter is the cause on my setup if you want me to (ie mail the adapter to me, I'll test it and send it back to you). Just lemme know.

BennyTRD
05-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Dave (from Auterra), mentioned that the OBD II adapter could be defective but it very unlikely. He has no idea if the cable I have will work. Theres a place in Toronto that I have found one. And the only OEM Palm cable I can find on ebay, the guys won't ship to Canada. The only other option is to get one from Auterra's website.

I'm not even to sure if we can switch adapters Jamie because I bought the Can PKG and it comes with a B-300 adapter and you must have the A-100 right??

MTL_4runner
05-24-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm not even to sure if we can switch adapters Jamie because I bought the Can PKG and it comes with a B-300 adapter and you must have the A-100 right??

Yes, I do have the A-100, but it doesn't matter, all I'd do is use your adapter (and OBD II cable.....I forgot the new ones aren't all one piece like the old ones were) to hook up to my serial cable and PDA. Then as long as I have the latest software (software is the same for both adapters) it should connect to the vehicle's OBD port if the adapter works. If the adapter works for me but not for you, you know it's either the PDA or the serial cable causing the issue.

The old adapter didn't even have the OBD II cable, the OBD plug was on the adapter:
http://www.troublecodes.net/articles/auterra/attaching_OBD_II_auterra_adapter_242x182.JPG

BennyTRD
05-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Ahh, I see. Well if the new OEM cable doesn't work, then we may have to explore theat route. Thanks for the offer btw.

BennyTRD
05-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Just so I am 100% sure, you are using an OEM Palm Serial Cable right??

MTL_4runner
05-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Just so I am 100% sure, you are using an OEM Palm Serial Cable right??

Yes, I have a "Palm" brand serial cable which I bought locally, I didn't buy it from Auterra.

BennyTRD
05-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Okay, then the OEM I ordered "should" work. Man, Look what happens when you try to save a few bucks. It ended up costing me much more then if I would have got the cable directly from them in the first place.

I can't thank you enough for your help Jamie.

MTL_4runner
05-24-2007, 06:10 PM
I can't thank you enough for your help Jamie.

No prob, that's what this board's here for. :thumbup:

BennyTRD
05-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Well, good news. Got the OEM cable this morning and it works now!!! Now comes the fun part of testing testing testing!!!

Yet another lesson learned. Sometimes trying to save money, ends up costing you more. Always try to buy OEM, unless you are SURE it will work.

MTL_4runner
05-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Well, good news. Got the OEM cable this morning and it works now!!! Now comes the fun part of testing testing testing!!!

Yet another lesson learned. Sometimes trying to save money, ends up costing you more. Always try to buy OEM, unless you are SURE it will work.

Go figure......I always suspected that eBay cable was the issue why my other PDA wouldn't connect.
Good to know that was actually the issue. :thumbup:

You might even send an email back to Auterra telling them that the cables on eBay are causing syncing issues. The tech support should have been asking that right off the bat rather than saying something stupid like maybe the vehicle isn't OBD II equipped.

BennyTRD
05-28-2007, 11:29 AM
I sent a message to the support group explaining that the OEM cables work, and that the cheap ones on e-bay don't. Hopefully the next time someone has a problem they can try that first instead.

I had some settings off on the Dyno-Scan setup....made 1446 HP and 4036 lb/ft torque!! Pretty good for just adding the True Flow Int and filter huh!!