PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a camera that's on the move

Tanto
05-03-2007, 12:57 PM
My old FujiFilm F550 FinePix was stolen and I'm now faced with replacing it. I'm looking for a digital camera that is relatively basic and small but not a point-and-shoot type. Size is also an issue because I have a VERY small amount of space to store everything in and I don't want to dedicate a backpack to hauling around extra lenses, etc.

I saw the Canon PowerShot S3 IS had good reviews, but I'm a n00b when it comes to things more advanced than settings like "Portrait vs. Landscape".

Good Times
05-03-2007, 01:14 PM
though i'm a nikon guy when it comes to slr stuff for point and shoot cameras i'd go for a canon. if i can get any camera right now it'd be the SD800 with the image stabilizer. A friend had it and it was pretty slick :) easy to use and pretty dummy proof for simple guys like me :)

just point and shoot and enjoy!

Tanto
05-03-2007, 01:35 PM
I'll take that into consideration, Lance.  I was looking to advance my knowledge in the field by looking into the SLR-like or SLR types, though...

The Sony Cybershot DSC-H7 seems to be taking the lead...and only $400.  Any personal experiences with this or the H9 I should know? (H7 is same as H9 minus adjustable screen and NightShot)

mastacox
05-03-2007, 03:21 PM
It sounds to me like you're wanting a pro-sumer camera with available manual modes. I'm a big Canon guy, so you'll have to take that into consideration I guess, but anyway... much to my chagrin there isn't a lot to choose from in Canon's lineup for prosumer's these days.

With all of that in mind I would recommend a Canon with Image Stabilization and the and hopefully the Digic III chip. Best on the block without going SLR is the G7 (for Canon anyway), but it could be pricey. Still, you get a LOT of camera for ~$500: 10.0 MP, Digic III, up to ISO 1600, 6X zoom, Image Stabilization, SLR look and feel, etc. etc.

Canon PowerShot G7 (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=14321)

http://www.cameratown.com/assets/news/large/PowershotG7.jpg

I'm disappointed that Canon doesn't have a larger pro-sumer offering these days (I love the S-series cameras for example, I have the S70) but apparently the wave of the future is the tiny SD series. If you don't mind a very small camera (I prefer a little heft, but I'll be going SLR before I buy another prosumer) any SD from the 700IS on up is definitely worth taking a long look at. I would go for the DIGIC III chip over the image stabilization for the higher ISO's available, but I.S. could help make up for that, so anyway.

p nut
05-25-2007, 11:45 AM
I was teeter-tottering between the SD800is and S3 is. The SD is very compact and can fit into your pocket. It's got IS and has 7.1mp. But what won me over to the S3 is the zoom (along with a few other features). The 12x optical zoom is awesome. The G series is sweet, too. But I use the zoom more than anything else, so the S3 fit the bill very nice.

BUT, if I could've waited a bit more (maybe a month), I would have loved to pick up the new S5 is. Digic III, face detection, bigger LCD, etc. If you can wait till June, wait for the S5 to come out.

BTW, I got the S3 is at Circuit City online (and pick up at the local store) for $303+tax. The new S5 will be ~$500, and personally, I couldn't justify the extra $200 for the features listed. I'd even have loved to get the S2 for cheaper, but I hate buying used cameras.

neliconcept
05-25-2007, 11:57 AM
tanto, also with the beginnner ranged SLRs, they still have the landscape, portrait style settings on the turn knob, even up to my 30d has these features, when you get to the D200, 5d and up cameras they are all manual.

Id take a consideration at the d40x or the canon rebel XT if you want something a little lower priced but has the features. except that the d40 doesnt have the same AF motor the d80 has and wont take all the nikkor lenses.

also look into the sony h9 which has 15x zoom

dunno if you have bought one already or not.

Markduce
06-04-2007, 04:40 AM
Tanto, I have the H1 which is near the same as the H7. I like it. Vary easy to use, but power to play around with it to. If I had to do it over again. I would look into Canon but I think sony interface is much better for beginners.

Tanto
06-14-2007, 04:27 PM
No, still didn't buy the camera yet. Been kinda busy with other things lately.

Thanks for the info, everyone.