PDA

View Full Version : tokico trek master r/t shocks installed

Elton
05-03-2007, 10:06 PM
first off thanks for all the help im really proud of my self for doing it my self and saving a bunch of cash i dont have any pics yet anyways the install was pretty easy for a novice mechanic like me the tools i had where a set of sockets wrenches jackstands a sawzal some locktight and the factory bottle jack which worked ok just took to long the front was not as hard as i thought took me all of 30 mins to do both sides now the rear thats a pita its kindda hard to get a huge sawzall in there but i did and im not sure how the bolts on the top of the shocks work ? now onto the bad i guess the lower shock bolt on the front is a one time use bolt as when i took it out the nut wouldint thread on so i just bought some grade 8 bolts instead and the fun part as i was taking one of the wheels off one of the studs snapped awesome and it cost around $60 dollars to have the front springs switched over to the new strut i have a gift card for the shop i took it to so its fine all in all took me about 3-1/2 hours to install the shocks would of been done faster if i had a better stuff the shocks are new and haveint got any miles on them yet so i cant say how they are just yet .....

sorry for such a long post also if you dont like my typing thats too bad :D

amgraham
05-03-2007, 10:13 PM
My head hurts after reading that man.. Good job on rocking the install yourself though!

DNAhilux
05-03-2007, 10:32 PM
glad to hear you got it done. So why would that lower shock mount bolt be a one time thing? I have seen others reuse it.

Elton
05-03-2007, 10:40 PM
dunno the treads on the bolt seemed pretty mangled

MTL_4runner
05-04-2007, 05:49 AM
dunno the treads on the bolt seemed pretty mangled

Congrats on the DIY and just run a tap/die or threadfile over the bolt/nut.
I'd be a bit worried using big box store hardware (at least get a new bolt/nut set from Toyota)

ADH8796
05-04-2007, 05:52 AM
I have used mine over and over again with no problems. You probably jacked up a thread when pulling it out or something but hey none the less its all done and Congrats.

bamachem
05-04-2007, 07:08 AM
holy run-on sentence... :D

good job on doing it yourself!

p nut
05-04-2007, 08:25 AM
Yeah, I used the bolt again, but probably doesn't hurt getting a new one.

I also had no problems with the fronts, but the rears were a real PITA. The cutting of shocks were not that big of a deal, but trying to thread that new top bolt was really frustrating. There's gotta be an easier way.

4x4Fink
05-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Congrats Elton, way to go man.

Post some pics up when you get a chance!

Fink

gpcollen
05-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Good job Elton. Did you happen to whack that bolt out with a hammer b/c mayb it was just the first thread? Anyway, last thing you needed to do was go buy a tap set. I have cleaned some up with a file before prior ot putting them back together.

Regardless - enjoy the nice ride you get from new shocks!!

Elton
05-04-2007, 02:04 PM
thanks guys as for pics there on a one time use camera that has a few pics left on it not sure if i need to get a alignment seems to be the same as before but ill have it checked

Elton
05-10-2007, 06:31 PM
got a few miles on them they feel better still a little rough but its a truck also it dont lean in corners as much as it use too

cox380
05-11-2007, 01:45 PM
The grade 8 harware is as strong or stronger then the oem bolt.

Elton
07-15-2007, 11:01 PM
old thread but for some reason i cant keep the rear shock bolts tight ive used lock tight and got them plenty tight but after a few weeks i can tell and hear there loose

Seanz0rz
07-15-2007, 11:15 PM
old thread but for some reason i cant keep the rear shock bolts tight ive used lock tight and got them plenty tight but after a few weeks i can tell and hear there loose

makes me want to go check mine.

on the lower rear, its a threaded stud that stick off the axle, correct? (i forget since november) is ther just a nut? or a nut and a washer, i remember a nut and washer.

on the top of the rear shocks, you really have to torque those down to compress the bushings and such.

MTL_4runner
07-16-2007, 05:30 AM

If you've used loctite, cranked them down and they're still coming loose, you've got a serious problem. You may need to drill out the old threads and use a helicoil insert, then buy new bolts to eliminate that as a possible issue. Mine have never even remotely come loose and I don't have any loctite on mine at all.

Is there any side to side motion on the bolts when you install them loosely?

Elton
07-16-2007, 10:35 PM
i think i installed the rear shocks wrong for the top i did the flat washer then the rubber bushing then the other flat washer

Seanz0rz
07-16-2007, 11:32 PM
on top it should be shock, plate, rubber bushing, frame, rubber bushing, plate, nut.

also, do the nuts feel loose on the threads? i blew mine off because they used 1/2 inch nuts on 12mm threads.

Elton
07-16-2007, 11:52 PM
well i guess ill have to borrow some tools 2morrow and fix it the bolts thread on tight just think its cause i installed them wrong

KZN185W
07-21-2007, 11:10 PM
forgive me, but what does "r/t" mean?

thanks!