PDA

View Full Version : True Flow Intake System

BennyTRD
05-04-2007, 10:10 AM
After spending some time on the phone with Jason B this morning, hashing out some shipping details to Canada (very helpful BTW), placed on order for the True Flow intake system. Comes with Mandrel bent powder coated tube, all hardware, filter, etc.

Anyone have any experience with this system. Good, bad, indifferent? Notice any MPG increase, noticable power increase?

BennyTRD
05-04-2007, 10:12 AM
http://www.burtmanindustries.com/images/prodimages/trueflow_kit_installed.jpg

Photo Coutesy of Burtman Ind

garrett
05-04-2007, 10:41 AM
that picture is of mine.

i used to have it because i got a great deal on it off ebay. everything is very nice, but it is way overpriced IMO. i sold the tube because i needed the money but i kept the filter. if you've got the money then its great.

DNAhilux
05-04-2007, 11:43 AM
I have just the filter. From my readings i couldnt justify the cost of the tube for excess noise plus maybe better throttle response. Power, well the filter will help air go through, but you may then want to add the deckplate mod. These should get you 5-8hp from previous dyno results. As for mpg, it could benefit slightly with the filter, but if you start whompin on it then no. Usuallly increased power = decreased mpg

p nut
05-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Unless you've got an LS7 under that hood, I think N/A mods are kind of worthless (or a bad cost/benefit ratio). Even on the Honda's I've owned in the past, I kept them pretty much all stock, because your net gains of -5 to 10 hp was just not worth spending hundreds/thousands on.

Only way to gain true noticable power is with FI.

Just my 2 cents.

BennyTRD
05-04-2007, 01:10 PM
I've had the deck plate mod done for a few years now. I am ditching the K&N filter that's been in the truck since I bought it 3 years. It was a a good year in the Tax return dept so I figured I'd spend a little cash to make some improvements. Sure could have spent the money elsewhere on something more practicle, but this seemed like a good place to start.

MTL_4runner
05-04-2007, 06:10 PM
I've had the deck plate mod done for a few years now. I am ditching the K&N filter that's been in the truck since I bought it 3 years. It was a a good year in the Tax return dept so I figured I'd spend a little cash to make some improvements. Sure could have spent the money elsewhere on something more practical, but this seemed like a good place to start.

Most would say it was overpriced but it would be hard to argue it wasn't a good mod to do.
I think you'll be pretty happy with it (it will be a bit noisier than stock though).

BennyTRD
05-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Jamie I see that you have the Hayden Trans cooler. Do you find that your trans won't warm up all that much in the winter?? I was going to install the Hayden unit beofre I thought about all the cold days we have up here during the winter months. I opted for the Tru-Cool LPD trans cooler instead. I'm sure it was model 4454. Do you take it off in the winter or have some valves on the lines or what?

MTL_4runner
05-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Jamie I see that you have the Hayden Trans cooler. Do you find that your trans won't warm up all that much in the winter?? I was going to install the Hayden unit beofre I thought about all the cold days we have up here during the winter months. I opted for the Tru-Cool LPD trans cooler instead. I'm sure it was model 4454. Do you take it off in the winter or have some valves on the lines or what?

Nope I use it inline year round and have no trouble with the tranny warming up even in subzero weather. Remember that the tranny lines pass through the radiator first so they do get warmed up in winter. Also it doesn't take long to heat up tranny fluid due to the shearing action of the torque converter itself.

ElkaholicTRD
05-04-2007, 09:08 PM
I have to agree this system is a bit pricey. But I would do it again to a stock 3.4. I really love this system, Better throttle response, better seat of the pants feel, better sound. I love it. A whole lot of power and way better gas mileage??? NO, maybe a tad but thats not gonna happen without buckoo bucks anyways. Overall I give this system 2 thumbs up. And its Trueflow filters for me from now on, forever!!!

TroysToy
05-06-2007, 01:41 PM
I personally like the engine noise. It is quiet at lower RPMs, but sounds nice when you give it gas.

BennyTRD
05-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Well, got the intake yesterday, put it on without haste. I wanted to wait for my Auterra software to come so I could see if I actually gained something, and I will later, but, first impressions are good. Throttle seems a little snappier. Intake noise is definatley alot louder when you put your foot into it, but tolerable. It really seems to wake up around the 4000RPM range.

Thanks again to Jason for the fast shipping. Great guy to work with, as I am sure everyone knows. when the Auterra software lands at my door, I am going to re-install my stock intake system, then get a baseline. Then install the True Flow and test again. I am also going to test with the deck plate open, and closed. See what kind of numbers I can get from the intake and filter change and let you guys know.

http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/519/medium/10-05-07_1541.jpg

96 Runner
05-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Be sure to reset your ECU when you install a part like this. Best method to really clear it is to pull the NEG and step on the brake for 10 seconds.

BennyTRD
05-12-2007, 07:30 AM
You bet. First thing I did when I opened the hood.