PDA

View Full Version : I will be gone for a little

localmotion
05-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Welp...i finally moved into my apartment and in the process, my computer decided to kick it. So far, the power supply went bad, replaced it, then I think the mobo went bad. Next up is the chip...if that goes down, im going to quit teh internets.

I am trying to get this replaces asap, but between finals, moving and no job...its going to take a while. Ill be on time to time when I am at school. Sorry guys!

Matt

localmotion
05-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Alright guys, I got my new mobo in and it still wont power up. It doesnt even boot. I replaced the power supply, so I know its not that. Anyone know aht it might be? Bad processor maybe?

Ive replaced the MOBO and powersupply. I guess next is a new processor?

I am running an AMD 2200xp+

MTL_4runner
05-07-2007, 10:05 AM
How many sticks of RAM are you running?
If just one, try another. If you have more than one, try each one seperately.
If possible try the sticks in another machine just to eliminate them as a possible cause.

Also unplug all the peripherals (HDs, CDROMs, floppys, anything in the USB ports, etc) attached to the MB while attempting to boot. If you can find another machine to test the AMD chip that would help to narrow down the processor as a cause or not as well. Does the machine beep at all when you're trying to boot?

localmotion
05-07-2007, 01:40 PM
I am running two sticks of 256 so the likely hood that both sticks of RAM went bad is very slim. I tired taking them out one by one and using different slots and no dice. I unplugged everything already and nothing is working. It doesnt even get a chance to go BEEP.

When I hit the power button on the front of the computer, my antec case fan starts up for just a second then turns off. It seems to me that something isnt telling something else to power on.

Thanks Jamie for the Help, if you have any more advice, let me know!

I searched for my chip and found that I can buy a new one for only 50...which is pretty cheap in my opintion, but then again, I am paying for something that is 5 years old and wont be able to support Vista when we all have teo make that change.

Finals Week + No computer = no fun!

Cebby
05-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Does the new MOBO have an integral bios battery? or is it separate? I've seen bios get blanked by bad/old batteries causing problems.

Are there jumpers on the MOBO? Maybe a wrong setting? (processor voltage?)

localmotion
05-07-2007, 03:18 PM
I cant even get into BIOS.

The new MOBO has a bios battery on the board itself. I can remove it, which I did, and put it back in with the jumper settings changed to clear.

I switched the jumper setting back to normal and no dice.

This is so frustrating...I just moved into a new apt and now have no innernets!

How do I check the processor voltage when it wont load up? I wonder if the new(er) power supply went bad too? I forgot to mention, the old powersupply we turn on and off, so basically sending surges throughout the computer. I wonder if this could have fried my processor?

MTL_4runner
05-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Ok, maybe it might help if you gave us the actual mobo make/model so we could look at a PDF of the manual. The fact that you get no beep or anything is not a good sign (even low level issues like a bad processor will usually beep.....no beep usually signals a power supply or system board problem ) because it sounds like your motherboard isn't even getting proper power to boot. I'd break out a DMM and start probing the ATX connector with the board on and see what the voltages are on each of the connector pins while under load.

Here's a pic of what voltages you should see:
http://www.meadow.net/Images/z_mbconatxmain.gif

Here's some good writeups on testing the power supply:
http://www.bluemax.net/techtips/ATXPowerSupplyWiring/ATXPowerSupplyWiring.htm
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm

You can also get a simple tester device like this:
http://www.extensiontech.net/reviews/ad/coolmax/ps-101/

It almost sounds like the motherboard is getting grounded out somehow (perhaps on the case?). I'd try doing a bench test (motherboard and PS on a wood surface) and see if it will boot. If it does then you've got your answer, if not you may need to try the PS with another computer and verify it works. When doing testing like this it really helps to have another computer to test parts in one by one and eliminate the problem that way.

localmotion
05-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Jamie,

Sorry I have an Asus A7n8x deluxe running a socket A AMD2200xp+.

My friend also has a socket A processor so I will be able to check on it this weekend. I put a new mobo in a different case with a new powersupply and still did not work. I am convinced that it is the processor....but I will double check before I order another one. Thank god they are only 50$ shipped!

Bob98SR5
05-07-2007, 11:51 PM
man, you guys sure are smart about this kind of stuff :confused: i dont even know what the f' you guys are saying

Cebby
05-08-2007, 05:29 AM
Try removing a few of the screws holding the MOBO to the case (mainly the ones in the center). I think Jamie's on to something re: the MOBO getting grounded.

MTL_4runner
05-08-2007, 06:06 AM
For everyone helping, here's what the mobo looks like:
http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/asus-a7n8x/

and here's the manual:
http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2/a7n8x/e1859_a7n8x.pdf

Seriously, take the entire motherboard out of the case, put it on a wooden table, piece of 1/4" plywood, or even the mobo box itself and bench test it. I used to do that all the time when I ran into issues like what you're having. That is the best true test because you eliminate accidental grounds. It may still be the processor but like I said, 9 times out of 10 it will beep when the processor is toast since the mobo can still go through it's self check and then gives you an error beep (it will do the same thing if the RAM is bad). I would also double and triple check that all your jumpers are set correctly according to what you've got set up.

Here's some examples of what I'm talking about:
http://hercmud.net:8080/new_server/new%20server%20026.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/Gig-O-RamX4/Pic22_Whatamess.jpg

All you want to have running is the PS, Mobo, Processor, RAM, video card. Once you have that running and can get to the BIOS, then add more stuff (HD, CDROM, etc) until it the entire system benches fine. Once you have that totally running, then install it all in the case and you should be good. Also be sure with the case that all the mounting points all go to screw holes. I've seen cases where Mobo's have different configs and some may have screw holes where others do not and vice versa. If there is a mount with no screw hole, it will ground right into the back of the board and short out the voltage and usually prevent any hope of posting until it is fixed. If you can't even get it to post on the bench and the RAM tested fine, then I'd try getting a new processor. If the mobo won't post with good RAM and a new processor, then exchange that mobo for another one.

When you try and post are there any red/green LEDs lit up on the mobo?

localmotion
05-08-2007, 03:32 PM
I took the mobo out and powered it on without it in the case and it did the same. I think it is getting clean power because the Green LED on the MOBO lights up. I am going to be able to swap some parts out, ie: processsor and RAM this weekend.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to mess with it until then, finals are really killing me my last semester.

Thanks Jamie for all your help!! I will let you know asap how it goes

localmotion
05-13-2007, 08:14 PM
well guys....

go figure. It was my power supply that went bad. I went through 2 of them in a row...which is very odd.

nevertheless, my computer is back and running so that means im baackkk.

thanks to all the helped me out...at least i learned a lot!

Markduce
05-15-2007, 05:08 AM
good to hear. :thumbup:

When troubleshooting these words should never come out. And you can replace power supply with anything else.

"I replaced the power supply, so I know its not that."

When it comes to electronics it doesnt matter how new something is. It can always be bad.

callmej75
05-15-2007, 05:34 AM
Matt...I gotta Asus A7N266-VM/AA with 1 512 and 1 256 stick of memory in mine and never had any issues for years. My power supply does make a loud noise at startup though. If Mine goes out soon, this will be a helpful thread indeed!