PDA

View Full Version : 01-02 VSC off switch

p nut
05-05-2007, 08:30 AM
I've read the article about how to install a VSC off switch on the 01-02 4Runners. However, I was browsing through the owner's manual this morning. On page 3, there is a diagram of all of the switches and guages on the dash. Number 22, which points to one of the buttons to the left of the steering wheel, is labled "traction control off switch."

I didn't realize that this was an option (which obviously most of us don't have), but I'm wondering if any of you know the part number for this switch, and if there is an available wiring harness or something. It would make the install a lot easier and cleaner.

Thanks.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/shinpaul/IMG_1088.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/shinpaul/IMG_1089.jpg

ecchamberlin
05-05-2007, 03:40 PM
That is intresting. I did the Andy mod and think it is clean and works so great but this as you said would be cleaner/easier...

Good lookin out. I am going to see if that is in my manual.

For any other 01/02 4Runner owners who have not yet done this mod yet, you really should. It gives the driver 100% control of how the systems effect driving without damaging anything or making the systems inoperable.

p nut
05-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Ok, I think I've found the answer. The trac off switch is only on the 2WD 4Runners.

I'll call the dealership on Monday to get the part number.

Lee
05-05-2007, 06:31 PM
yup that was only in 2wd 4runners :)

i too have a switch, its more or less the same as the andy mod :)

neliconcept
05-06-2007, 04:34 PM
yes we have the trac off switch, doesnt work all that great though, only works at the first 20mph, then it turns itself back on, not like DSC is for bmw where you can turn it off permenantly.

Rock Slide
05-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Interesting find...however, if done correctly, the Andy Mod can be installed very cleanly as well. I know what your saying though, a "plug-n-play" type mod would be preferable.

I def recommend the andy mod for any '01 & '02 4Runners.

ecchamberlin
05-06-2007, 07:33 PM
only works at the first 20mph, then it turns itself back on, not like DSC is for bmw where you can turn it off permenantly.

Really? I will have to try it out. Not experienced this myself so far. Even if so wheel spin above 20mph is usually a bad thing. Really the only time I turn my VSC/TRAC/ABS off is while off roading in 2wd with the rear locker working. In the rain I have had VSC fire off and been very glad it did with MT tires and a rear locker it probably kept me in my lane...

calrockx
05-06-2007, 10:07 PM
i put my andymod switch in that location. actually, near number 19 in that diagram. i just used a foglight switch, printed a TRAC OFF label for it and that was that.

Lee
05-07-2007, 04:01 AM
only works at the first 20mph, then it turns itself back on, not like DSC is for bmw where you can turn it off permenantly.

Really? I will have to try it out. Not experienced this myself so far. Even if so wheel spin above 20mph is usually a bad thing. Really the only time I turn my VSC/TRAC/ABS off is while off roading in 2wd with the rear locker working. In the rain I have had VSC fire off and been very glad it did with MT tires and a rear locker it probably kept me in my lane...
he has a 2wd, he didnt do the andy mod :)

i leave mine all off all the time... i hate abs.

Lee
05-07-2007, 04:02 AM
i put my andymod switch in that location. actually, near number 19 in that diagram. i just used a foglight switch, printed a TRAC OFF label for it and that was that.
do you have white ink in your printer? i am jealous, hahah.

maybe i can try this on the color one at work... hmmmmmmm

aowRS
05-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Here's a pic of how I finished my switch:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/aowalter/4Runner/Newswitch1.jpg

Andreas (The 'Andy' in AndyMod)

emptypockets
05-07-2007, 10:38 AM
I've done the AndyMod too (thanks Andreas)! Up until the last couple of weeks, it's worked very well. Then, it started coming on (defeating VSC) for no reason. I thought it was the switch and replaced it. Now, it's on all the time. Any ideas?

aowRS
05-07-2007, 10:46 AM
emptypockets,
I found the wiring at the pressure switch to be very sensitive to bad connections. I initially crimped the connections and also had issues similar to what you describe. I went back and soldered the connections properly - no issues for years.

Andreas

surf4runner
05-07-2007, 03:11 PM
yes we have the trac off switch, doesnt work all that great though, only works at the first 20mph, then it turns itself back on, not like DSC is for bmw where you can turn it off permenantly.

mine switches off after about 20 seconds :tease:

i just open the hood and disconnect it when i want it off (im that lazy :D ) :burnout:

ecchamberlin
05-07-2007, 08:34 PM

mine switches off after about 20 seconds :tease:

i just open the hood and disconnect it when i want it off (im that lazy :D ) :burnout:
[/quote]

I think this makes us lazy for not wanting to get out to unplug it and istead wiring up the switch. LOL

calrockx
05-07-2007, 10:11 PM
go andymod go

p nut
05-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Ok, just called the dealership. It is $60+tax. Yikes. So unless you can pull one off at a junk yard, (which where I live, it'll be next to impossible finding a 2WD 4Runner), just get that fog light switch.

xcmountain80
05-10-2007, 07:18 PM
I've done the AndyMod too (thanks Andreas)! Up until the last couple of weeks, it's worked very well. Then, it started coming on (defeating VSC) for no reason. I thought it was the switch and replaced it. Now, it's on all the time. Any ideas?

Same problem re soldered the connections and no problems since.

Aaron

p nut
05-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Just finished my first mod. :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/shinpaul/IMG_1100.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/shinpaul/IMG_1102.jpg

Now I've got to get a proper label.

aowRS
05-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Very nice!

I made my label by scanning the actual Toyota "TRAC OFF" switch which I had purchased before the mod. Since I was was never able to make the stock switch work, I sold it on Ebay.

If I can dig up the image, I'll send it to you.

Andreas

p nut
05-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Yeah, that would be cool. Did you print it on any special type of paper? I'd like it to last for a while...

Oh, and your directions were crystal clear. No issues--flew through it pretty smooth.

aowRS
05-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Nothing special. I just printed it on an Avery label, adhered it, trimmed it with a razor blade, then sprayed the entire front of the switch with a few coats of clear satin ployurethane. It's held up just fine for years.

Andreas

locked up
05-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Anyone have a link to the Andy mod?

Rock Slide
05-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Anyone have a link to the Andy mod?

Here's the one I wrote based on all the info provided by AwoRS (Andreas) - AndyMod Write-Up (http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=103814)

Direct your questions about the write-up to him. He is the creator of the andymod, I just simply wrote a write-up for it.

Guess I need to add one here on UY too...

aowRS
05-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Rock Slide,
Thank you again for a great job putting that together!

Andreas

Rock Slide
05-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Rock Slide,
Thank you again for a great job putting that together!

Andreas

It was no problem at all. :) You did all the hard work. I simply took what you said and put it on paper.

locked up
05-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks Gentleman, I took the long way around and went into the PC and found the wires that went to the ABS system and placed a switch in line to open the circuit. When I did this I obtained similiar results as you did, but I did not disable the YAW control. When you go around a corner and cause the vehicle to lean over, the opposite brakes apply...and the buzzer goes off. What a pain... in the gravel at high speed.... I generally disconnect the trac sensor relay to prevent this, but the buzzer still sounds. I will try your mod and see if it disables the yaw control, I don't know if it is related to the VSC and ABS...hope so.

Keep up the great work!!

Pete

ecchamberlin
05-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Pete
glad you made it here. Long traveled 02! Very Nice. Any pics or links for us to look at?

locked up
05-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Stay tuned, in my dirt floor garage at the moment, rebuilding rear shock mounts...

calrockx
04-05-2008, 01:34 AM
on the way home tonight i noticed a christmas tree-y dash, guess there's a bad connection somewhere. looks like i have some soldering to do in the morning

Speedy
04-14-2008, 02:00 PM
For those looking into this...I detailed it on my site, but I'll put a quick blurb here....

These switches are available at Lowes for about $4 and they have no labeling like fog light or whatever. This is about 1/3 the price of the exact same dealer switch depending on where you buy it. To label mine I simple scuffed up the switch with some light sand paper, wiped it down paint prep, and applied dry transfer letters then clear coated with semi gloss model spray. The result is a very stock looking switch for cheap. :thumbup:

http://www.hooliganbiketech.net/sportrunner/trac_vsc_switch/images/IMG_9426.jpg

austintaco
04-20-2008, 08:44 PM
For those looking into this...I detailed it on my site, but I'll put a quick blurb here....

These switches are available at Lowes for about $4 and they have no labeling like fog light or whatever. This is about 1/3 the price of the exact same dealer switch depending on where you buy it. To label mine I simple scuffed up the switch with some light sand paper, wiped it down paint prep, and applied dry transfer letters then clear coated with semi gloss model spray. The result is a very stock looking switch for cheap. :thumbup:

Those look great! This is a general question for all that have added stock looking switches. How do you cut the openings to give it a clean look. I installed the scion stereo in my Tacoma and the ipod an aux switches went into places that were not that visible. I used a dremel for those two, and the end result looked good, but is there an easier and cleaner way?

Speedy
04-21-2008, 06:55 AM

Those look great! This is a general question for all that have added stock looking switches. How do you cut the openings to give it a clean look. I installed the scion stereo in my Tacoma and the ipod an aux switches went into places that were not that visible. I used a dremel for those two, and the end result looked good, but is there an easier and cleaner way?

The locations I used are factory switch locations that had blanks in them. If I ran out of those, I'd use a dremel. The best way to get a clean cut is to use a small drill bit to drill a hole at each corner, put tape around the area you're cutting for protection of the dash, then dremel out the area you want removed.