PDA

View Full Version : $50 Craigslist Score: Toyota Hood w/scoop! (pics inside)

96 Runner
05-06-2007, 06:55 PM
I've been kicking this one around for a week since I saw it on there. Today I decided to pull the trigger and call the guy to see if he still had it. He listed it for $60 and I offered him $50. He agreed. It's an OEM hood with scoop that was damaged by a barbed wire fence at some point. The scratches aren't bad and there is only one barely detectable dent towards the front. It's very hard to see and not even worth bondo-ing.

I made a promise to myself that if I bought this hood, I would make the scoop functional. So that's exactly what I've done. So far I have removed the underhood insulation, sanded the hood, and made the scoop functional. My next step is to paint the hood black. Yes, my rig is green, but I think black is going to look cool and be much cheaper than spending a wad of cash to have it color-matched at a paint place. My plan is to paint it matte black. I am also going to look into having it Line-X'd. Not sure about that one though.

Enough talk, here are the pics. I will update the thread as I get this finished and on my rig.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/cdaviesaz/Hoodscoop001.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/cdaviesaz/Hoodscoop002.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/cdaviesaz/Hoodscoop003.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/cdaviesaz/Hoodscoop004.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/cdaviesaz/Hoodscoop006.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/cdaviesaz/Hoodscoop007.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/cdaviesaz/Hoodscoop008.jpg

garrett
05-06-2007, 06:56 PM
schwing!

drguitarum2005
05-06-2007, 07:01 PM
excellent idea, i would do the same if i came across that. are you planning on leaving the scoop the way you've put it or are more plans in the works as far as its functionality?

96 Runner
05-06-2007, 07:06 PM
are you planning on leaving the scoop the way you've put it or are more plans in the works as far as its functionality?

Good question. I am going to try and figure something out so I can block the scoop from the inside when it's raining. Some kind of block off plate with studs and wingnuts or something. We don't get much rain here in Phoenix, but when it does rain, it usually comes down in buckets. Another idea is to devise some kind of tray with drains and tubes that would collect the water and make it flow out of the engine compartment, while still keeping airflow coming in. I like the block-off plate idea personally, so that's probably what I am going to do. Good stuff!

Ric
05-06-2007, 07:10 PM
nice find,, i cut out my cup years ago, just cutting the cup out, adds like 50 HP :hillbill:

you dont need to block out the rain, mines been open for about years, unless you want to keep the engine bay clean.

96 Runner
05-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Good to know Ric, thanks. I've been really scrounging to reduce underhood temps as my ping problem is back in full force. I figure this could only help. Just yesterday I did the coolant bypass mod and that seemed to help a tad. Now I am looking in to getting a phenolic spacer kit going for the 3.4 in order to thermally isolate parts from one another, such as the throttle body from the supercharger (or intake manifold) and the supercharger (or intake manifold) from the intake plenum between the heads. The Nissan guys are showing awesome results with this. Generally speaking, the cooler, the better.

Sorry, that's just my justification for making the scoop functional (the long-winded version that is!) :)

ADH8796
05-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Man I wish I could find something like that. I have been looking for a hood scoop forever they are just a little to expensive. Sweet find.

slosurfer
05-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Nice find! ARe you worried about the flat black soaking up more heat?

After looking at pics of your rig and the black you have done on the grill and bumper, it would be cool if you had the center section black and had the outer sections color matched green. If you have any community colleges with auto body classes, you might be able to get a student to do it for a project and it would look bad arse! The Black would flow straight onto your black grille.

96 Runner
05-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Nice find! ARe you worried about the flat black soaking up more heat?

After looking at pics of your rig and the black you have done on the grill and bumper, it would be cool if you had the center section black and had the outer sections color matched green. If you have any community colleges with auto body classes, you might be able to get a student to do it for a project and it would look bad arse! The Black would flow straight onto your black grille.

The dark green already soaks up enough darn heat. The black will probably be about the same. (Side note: I had a white 96 donor rig that I drove for a day or two and the temps were 15 degrees cooler vs. my dark green 4Runner, I kid you not!).

Cool idea about making the black flow up the hood like that. Unfortunately I just don't think I want to spend a bunch of money on this. I am leaning towards Line-X right now, depending on the price (I will find out tomorrow). I will just end up rattle-canning it if every other alternative is too much money. Sounds cheesy in a way, but I have gotten pretty good with a rattle can over the years and matte black is pretty easy to spray. We'll see.

slosurfer
05-07-2007, 12:31 AM
How hard would it be to try to color match it yourself? Do they sell the color matched paint in rattle can. I forgot that your dark green would be just as bad as flat black, although I think linex would be even hotter because it would be another layer of insulation holding the heat in plus soaking it up. I hear you about the $$$ I just thought of the college thing because I am taking a welding class at the local CC and those paint guys are always looking for something to paint. They must like the fumes. I can't wait to see pics. Did you do anything special to prep your chrome bumpers for paint? I was thinking of doing my front till I have one made.

20005spd
05-07-2007, 03:25 AM
that is a very good find. ive never seen them that cheap. i also like how you made it functional, i wanted to do it to mine when it was just for street use but im not so sure about it now that i wheel alot.

MTL_4runner
05-07-2007, 05:43 AM
Man Christian, great find and an even better deal on that hood!

Euphorickaty80
05-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Great deal! cant wait to see it on the truck! BTW.....you have the cleanest most organized garage i have ever seen!

Stevo3
05-07-2007, 07:33 AM
aww man good buy, i cant believe i missed that out here. guess ill be looking on craigs list more often.... LUCKY!

96 Runner
05-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Great deal! cant wait to see it on the truck! BTW.....you have the cleanest most organized garage i have ever seen!

Thanks! That's just the way I am, which drives some people nuts. :)

It's a good way to meet neighbors. I always catch people staring in when I am working in there...I usually try to spark up a conversation after that.

I am actually starting to run out of space. :(

96 Runner
05-07-2007, 09:15 AM
How hard would it be to try to color match it yourself?

I've seen it before, but it just wouldn't look right IMO. I am pretty set on black right now.

Good idea about checking the local CC.

ADH8796
05-07-2007, 09:29 AM
How hard would it be to try to color match it yourself?

I've seen it before, but it just wouldn't look right IMO. I am pretty set on black right now.

Good idea about checking the local CC.

I think this is going to be to much work for you. So you should just send that thing my way and I'll put it on my runner lol I wish. Good luck with the paint can't wait to see it.

gilby4runner
05-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Ive got the same hood on my Sport... do you think there would be a substantial temp difference with the scoop open?

ADH8796
05-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Ive got the same hood on my Sport... do you think there would be a substantial temp difference with the scoop open?

No not really. I'm not saying it wouldn't help but I am saying it wouldn't help much.

96 Runner
05-07-2007, 11:52 AM

Heat soak is a huge problem with the TRD supercharger, so if you're SC'd, I think this will help. We have a digital wireless thermometer; I am going to try and rig it up for some same-day testing and see what the data says...

MTL_4runner
05-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Heat soak is a huge problem with the TRD supercharger, so if you're SC'd, I think this will help. We have a digital wireless thermometer; I am going to try and rig it up for some same-day testing and see what the data says...

Real data/testing is the only way to put the issue to bed.
Looking forward to see what you come up with. :thumbup:

surf4runner
05-07-2007, 02:59 PM
nice find,, i cut out my cup years ago, just cutting the cup out, adds like 50 HP :hillbill:

you dont need to block out the rain, mines been open for about years, unless you want to keep the engine bay clean.

50HP? :spit: i musta used the wrong hardware :confused: i only got about 40.

i havent cleaned the engine bay since i did mine, just rinsed off the dirt/dust.

Erich_870
05-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Real temp data will be sweet!

Ric, do you have an trouble with slipping belts from rain getting on the engine? My scoop is closed, but it drips a little when it rains and my belts will howl like a dog when I start it up.

Lastly Slosurfer, how about coming up and giving me hand with my garage!? :angel:

Erich

96 Runner
05-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Line-X wants $150 - $200. Same with Inyati. Rattle can it is boys! :)

Ric
05-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Real temp data will be sweet!

Ric, do you have an trouble with slipping belts from rain getting on the engine? My scoop is closed, but it drips a little when it rains and my belts will howl like a dog when I start it up.

Lastly Slosurfer, how about coming up and giving me hand with my garage!? :angel:

Erich

nope, never, never had any problems

slosurfer
05-07-2007, 06:15 PM

Erich

What do you need done? You don't even want to see what my garage looks like!

Erich_870
05-07-2007, 08:59 PM
What do you need done? You don't even want to see what my garage looks like!

Lol, sorry Slosurfer, I'm an idiot :chair:. I meant to say 96 Runner :screwy:

But you're also welcome to come up and organize my garage :king:

Erich

slosurfer
05-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Lol, sorry Slosurfer, I'm an idiot :chair:. I meant to say 96 Runner :screwy:

But you're also welcome to come up and organize my garage :king:

Erich

Pay for my gas and I am there. I will even bring a label maker. :lol:

Erich_870
05-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Pay for my gas and I am there. I will even bring a label maker. :lol:

[please excuse this major case of off topic :king:]

Let me check that out and we'll see if it's worth it...

Los Osos, CA to Prince Rupert, BC to catch the ferry: 2026 miles at 22mpg (wishful thinking ;) ) equals 92.1 gallons times 3.40 per gallon average equals $313.14 in fuel. Not bad if you ask me. Then we add in the ferry ticket @ $540 for you and the rig and we get the grand total of $853.14.

I could pay myself for almost 4 days of work to do it myself for that price :spank:

You should just do the trip to see the glaciers :thumbup:

Erich

96 Runner
05-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Thread jackers! Ahhhh! :)

blink
05-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Can i take a picture standing next to it?

96 Runner
05-08-2007, 05:01 PM
It's about time you joined UY!

BTW, I decided to get it Line-X'd. I just can't rattle-can this thing - it's too pretty. :)

Erich_870
05-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Thread jackers! Ahhhh! :)

Lol, sorry. When will you have your temp sensor in place? I want to see the difference. Are you thinking of every tying it into your air box, or only for temp control of your SC?

Erich

96 Runner
05-08-2007, 07:02 PM
I should get around to testing this this weekend. Temps are going to be around 100. Nice!

I will log all the data and put it in a spreadsheet. :)

Yes, down the road, maybe scoop to air intake somehow...

Erich_870
05-08-2007, 07:35 PM
I should get around to testing this this weekend. Temps are going to be around 100. Nice!

I will log all the data and put it in a spreadsheet. :)

Perfect!

You should mount one of those little wind-speed du-hickeys behind the scoop and get some numbers.  Seems like if you know the opening area and the wind speed you'd be able to figure out how many CFS you could add to your intake once it's plumbed in.  :thumbup:

Erich

surf4runner
05-09-2007, 03:32 PM
I should get around to testing this this weekend.

i can duplicate the poisitions w/a individual probe via a DMM. ive been curious but havent bothered.
it defintely cools faster after shutdown.

ive seen a few really crappy attempts to vent/direct to the airbox.
the best was 2 straws :spit:

96 Runner
05-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Here's an interesting read about a guy who tested ram air to his airbox and how the angles of the hood and bends in the tube affected the flow.

http://www.karlsnet.com/mopar/ramair.shtml

blink
05-09-2007, 09:24 PM
You guys will find out that the stock scoop open provides plenty of fresh air into the engine compartment. I personally saw 10-15F difference in underhood temps. Which is huge considering the 2uzfe runs pretty hot and i live in 100+F weather as well.

96 Runner
05-10-2007, 06:32 PM
I am so happy I went with Line-X on the hood. Not only did it get rid of the scratches, but it also came out awesome. I will probably start a new thread once it's installed on my rig because I will have all that temperature data to share too. :)

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/cdaviesaz/hood001.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/cdaviesaz/hood009.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/cdaviesaz/hood010.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/cdaviesaz/hood011.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/cdaviesaz/hood002.jpg

Erich_870
05-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Looks awesome! :thumbup:

Erich

slosurfer
05-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Looks killer, can't wait to see pics of it installed.

96 Runner
05-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys. I should have it on by tonight. :)

Erich_870
05-11-2007, 11:06 AM
How did they spray the edge of the hood? Does the Line-X wrap around the lip? Is there any concern it will fill the gap between the quarter panels and rub or not shut fully?

Just wondered.

Erich

96 Runner
05-11-2007, 02:02 PM
No, it was sprayed thin, so that won't be an issue. Good question though.

They sprayed along the edge and I had previously primed it (black) so there should be no issue with the color showing.

96 Runner
05-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Well, it's definitely different! I am going to have to let it grow on me. Also, I need to get it out of the garage and take some pics. Thoughts?

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/cdaviesaz/hoodinstalled001.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/cdaviesaz/hoodinstalled002.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/cdaviesaz/hoodinstalled004.jpg

MTL_4runner
05-11-2007, 06:41 PM
It looks like you could ram that truck through a brick wall and come out unscathed. :spit:
I definately want to see some pics out in the sun, but lookin' good so far. :thumbup:

RR DIFF LOCK
05-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Christian, that looks really good! Can't wait to see some outdoor shots so we can really see the contrast between the factory paint (on the fenders) and the new Line-X'd hood. The scoop makes a big difference too! Wow, you opened up a whole new can of worms with this mod: I want to do this now! :clap:

96 Runner
05-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys! I can't wait to get it out of the garage either. Here's a pic since we are on page 4 now...

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/cdaviesaz/hoodinstalled001.jpg

reggie 00
05-11-2007, 10:39 PM
looks really good.

All that black really makes the head lights stand out.

Some of those smoked lenses would look good, tie it all in imo.

randver
05-12-2007, 08:58 AM
looks good. now you just need to do the rest of your 4runner lol

Stevo3
05-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Dood, You should just rhino line your entire truck. Definetly different, And different is good! Looks great Christian. :bowdown:

I should be getting my s/c back sometime this week. Gonna need some help tuning/creating new maps. Hopefully i get that new injector soon, so i can put everythin back together, so all i have to wait for is the s/c :thumbup:

96 Runner
05-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks Steve! It'll be really cool when you get your rig up and running!

Initial temperature testing is in. I am now compiling all the data. One thing is for sure, the hood scoop definitely makes a difference - but the most surprising finding is when it makes a difference; it seems to drop the temp 5 - 10 degrees after coming to a stop. Isn't that weird? It actually let's out a tremendous amount of heat. In fact, I got home tonight and heat was literally pouring out of the scoop opening. I'll start a new thread once I get everything together.

Bob98SR5
05-13-2007, 11:23 AM
christian,

based on your findings, i can see your next mod being those funny arse side 1/4 panel vent louvers to allow the air to flow out of the engine bay :hillbill:

bob

96 Runner
05-13-2007, 01:37 PM
LOL! Yes! I am going to swiss-cheese my front end! My wife is like, "Why don't you just run with the hood off?"

Next mod: Z3 fender vents. Thanks Bob! Ha ha ha.

96 Runner
05-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Initial testing reveals underhood temps to be 5 - 15 degrees cooler on average. My most surprising finding (I didn't expect this) is that the scoop appears to be most beneficial at idle. An example would be driving at a steady speed and coming to a stop at a stoplight. In six different cases I watched the temperature gauge, mounted at the top of the supercharger, drop anywhere from 3 to 15 degrees. This is excellent news because the scoop is alleviating one of my biggest problems, heat soak. Heat is literally pouring out of that opening once the force of the air going in is eliminated. To further test what I was seeing on the temp gauge I placed my hand near the opening after shutting it down. Sure enough, it darn near burned my hand!

This really surprised me, but it's excellent news. As far as when the vehicle is moving goes, it also appears to be working there as well. Temps were down about 5 to 10 degrees when the vehicle was in motion on average.

I still have more data to collect, but I am pretty certain that I can call this "functional scoop mod" a mod worth doing. :thumbup:

All testing was done in the afternoon with the outside temp at about 105 degrees, single-digit humidity, and light wind.

Rock Slide
05-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Good to hear the scoop can do more than just look pretty.

Glad to know it worked for you.

rocktown
06-13-2007, 04:46 PM
I second line-x-ing the whole truck, that would look deadly.

FUZION
06-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Looks rugged

Bajabwk
06-14-2007, 03:53 PM
I gotta tell you im way jealous. The only reason i wished i waited for a later gen III is for that bad arse hood scoop. I love the idea of the black hood too. Ive even thought of doing that with mine, i have the desert dune color. Ive wheeled a few discos in my day and some of the competition versions have the black hood. i think it looks great.

96 Runner
06-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Right on, thanks man! I am still happy with the scoop and it's holding up great!

calrockx
06-23-2007, 12:17 PM
How do you remove the cap blocking the hoodscoop?
Does the insulation need to be removed to do this?

surf4runner
06-26-2007, 09:51 AM
drill out the rivets. remove the screen.
pull out the plastic cap and cut open the scoop. reinstall screen w/ SS hardware.

i left the insulation intact. still looks like new.

96 Runner
07-05-2007, 06:43 PM
I actually left the everything on and just (cafefully) Dremel'd the blocked end with the hood off and upside down on saw horses. I did it such that there is a bit of a lip on top directing air down as it enters.