PDA

View Full Version : Which gun to buy?

GrnGrand97
05-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Im turning 21 in a couple weeks. Went looking at guns today. I'm inbetween the Glock 19, Glock 23 and the Springfield Armory Mil Spec 1911. I have shot a Glock 23 and love it, but I was thinking of getting a 9mm(Glock 19) because I will be taking a girl shooting whenever I go out. But I love the style and history of the 1911. I will be shooting a Colt 1911 when I go to CA for a couple days. I have been leaning more towards the Glocks because I will be CCWing this weapon when I get my permit in June or July.

Mil-Spec 1911
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/redrunner_87/Random/image004.jpg

91_4x4runner
05-07-2007, 04:28 PM
One thing I'd like to point out is the width of a weapon. Depending on where you stow your weapon, it might be a little bit obvious. The Glocks are pretty wide compared to other semi auto's. As far as caliber, it's really a matter of preference I think. Weight of the ammo might make a difference to you, then again, it might not. Don't go too small, but don't go too large. The object is to stop a threat if there is one.

skyrat
05-07-2007, 04:29 PM
I have put about 2000 rounds through my Springfield Armory XD-9 Service Model. If you like the Glock you should Love the XD. Much smaller grip size, loaded chamber indicator, cocked striker indicator.... Check it out. Also for CCW they make a compact version that will fit nicely in the belt. You can even get a 45acp compact that has a high capacity magazine (13 + 1).
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/4442/xd9tl2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

GrnGrand97
05-07-2007, 04:38 PM
I actually talked to the guy about the XD. He said basically the only thing Glock has on the XD is 20 year history. Hmm I may see if I can rent one before I go buy a firearm. I really liked the look of the XD from when I first saw it and it is the same price I think as a Glock. Im not too worried about caliber size(.40 is ideal though).

amgraham
05-08-2007, 08:34 AM
I CCW a Kimber 1911 fullsize. It's not too bad but I'm a pretty big guy and my hand doesn't fit the compacts comfortably. Still, the 1911s are very fun to shoot.. Not so much to clean though :(

96 Runner
05-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Another vote for XD. I have a 1st gen (no accessory rails, and labeled as an HS2000) and love it. It's very reliable and shoots accurately.

Go to a gun range and shoot everything you're considering and make a choice from there.

GrnGrand97
05-08-2007, 09:17 AM
I CCW a Kimber 1911 fullsize. It's not too bad but I'm a pretty big guy and my hand doesn't fit the compacts comfortably. Still, the 1911s are very fun to shoot.. Not so much to clean though :(

Im not that big a guy, but I don't think it will be that bad with a IWB. I wish I could affoard a Kimber, but my price range is under 600. I was talking to the guy at the shop and he said Springfield has started making good .45's again and he carries either Kimber or Springfield everyday. Like I said I will be shooting a Colt 1911(my friend isn't sure if it is a .40 or .45 though) in a couple weeks.

bamachem
05-08-2007, 09:30 AM
also, another DA/SA composite to check out would be the SIG PRO. i have a 2022 in 9mm and love it. 15+1 and the legendary SIG reputation to back it up. you can get a 40S&W for about $550 and a 9mm for about $525.

http://4rnr.net/sp2022-1.jpg

http://4rnr.net/sp2022-2.jpg

http://4rnr.net/sp2022-3.jpg

Roadrunner
05-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Go with the Glock 23. For 12+ years of concealed carry my G23 has stood up to various forms of environmental and physical abuse, such as water, dirt, perspiration and being dropped on more then a few occasions, with no lasting effects on its performance or finish.

amgraham
05-08-2007, 09:54 AM

Im not that big a guy, but I don't think it will be that bad with a IWB. I wish I could affoard a Kimber, but my price range is under 600. I was talking to the guy at the shop and he said Springfield has started making good .45's again and he carries either Kimber or Springfield everyday. Like I said I will be shooting a Colt 1911(my friend isn't sure if it is a .40 or .45 though) in a couple weeks.

I paid $600 for it brand new. It's a Stainless II and I found it on sale somewhere. You're right though.. From what I hear about all the 1911s nowadays are built to the same specs so the Springfields and Colts are finally up to par with Kimber. That was definitely not the case up to recently (even just a couple years ago the Springfields completely sucked and jammed all the time).

Bighead
05-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Another Kimber fan here. I have a Kimber TLE/RL II for me and a Glock 26 with extended magazine for my wife.

oly884
05-08-2007, 06:25 PM
glock perfection

iceman601
05-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Another Kimber fan here :clap:...just picked up a Kimber Custom TLE II....exact same ones used by the LAPD SWAT minus the special logo...only problem was the original magazine that came with it jammed on me twice....tossed that in the trash and picked up some wilson combat ones.

Seanz0rz
05-08-2007, 08:34 PM
not to thread jack, but what about the H&K USP? thats what my uncle carries, and im thinking about one in 9mm, but havent heard alot. i like the look of the kimber, and think it might be a better gun. im also buying one when i turn 21, and it will one day be CCW when i move from this leftwing hell hole. (dont worry im liberal, i just want my gun)

GrnGrand97
05-08-2007, 09:58 PM
The HK is out of my less than 600 price range. I love the HKs, but the price is killer. The gunshop I went to, didn't have any Kimbers(even though the guy there carries one). The Sig Pro looks pretty nice, I have always heard good things about Sig. And Sean0rz I am so glad to be out of CA, now I get to CCW or open carry! I think you have been offroading with my old 4Runner(Pinnacle/Prerun4runner) has it).

Bob98SR5
05-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Im turning 21 in a couple weeks. Went looking at guns today. I'm inbetween the Glock 19, Glock 23 and the Springfield Armory Mil Spec 1911. I have shot a Glock 23 and love it, but I was thinking of getting a 9mm(Glock 19) because I will be taking a girl shooting whenever I go out. But I love the style and history of the 1911. I will be shooting a Colt 1911 when I go to CA for a couple days. I have been leaning more towards the Glocks because I will be CCWing this weapon when I get my permit in June or July.

Mil-Spec 1911
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/redrunner_87/Random/image004.jpg

Oh you did NOT just infer that a Glock 19 is a girls gun!!! I should ban you before all the dolts that call a 4runner a T4R!!! :roll: :hillbill: :chair:

GrnGrand97
05-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Nope, just saying it is easier for a girl to learn how to shoot on a 9mm than a .45.

TDiddy
05-09-2007, 06:14 AM
I have an XD 40 service and a HK USPc 40. Both have performed flawlessly. I think the HK is easier shooting personally. In its stock form, it shoots as well as my modded XD does with a tungsten guide rod and heavier spring. There's just something I don't like about Glocks. Maybe it just that I always see girls shooting them.

:hillbill: :tongueout:

Texas Jim
05-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Glocks are OK I guess but they have been wholesaled on the market and $ for value just isn't there anymore. Glock came out with a very aggressive Law Enforcement Campain. as a result you go and pay retail for a new glock your moneys in the value of the weapon is compairing a Jeep to a Toyota! Go and find yourself a used HK USP Full sized 45. You will be able to buy it for the money that you mentioned and it will be the soft-es 45 shooter you can buy! It has a recoil reduction system like no other. You won't loose as much buying it as you will something else and it will keep it's value up there as long as you take care of it. TJ

Bob98SR5
05-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Nope, just saying it is easier for a girl to learn how to shoot on a 9mm than a .45.

dont worry dude, just yankin' your chain ;) why not have her learn on a plinker? like a ruger mark ii?

SoiledGreen
05-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Another XD fan here. i have an XD-40 tactical. I like the longer barrel, since i'm not ccw certified anyway. But here in AZ you cancarry your gun pretty much anywhere with no hassles

GrnGrand97
05-20-2007, 01:17 AM
Ended up getting the 19. Came with a 14 and 17 round magazine. Put a 120+ rounds threw today. Love the gun, going to put another 200 threw it on Monday.

90RunnerRed
06-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Go for the G23. It's what I conceal and love it. My wife shoots it with me quite often and she can handle it without a problem. You could also look at the G27 (sub-compact .40), but it wouldn't be great for the girlfriend. Whatever you get don't expect it to be extremely comfortable if you plan on concealing it. It will probably take you a while to find out which holster fits you best.

Peter
06-08-2007, 10:54 PM
You made a good choice going for the Glock.
I've had my G23 (.40) for a little over 5 years and probably put through approximately 5K rounds (conservatively). I've had very few jams and I've even had a few 9mm accidently go through it. I wasn't supervising as carefully as I should have with a new shooter.

The other guns brought up are all very good. I had several of my academy buddies go through with XDs, one with a sigpro a couple with USPs and a couple with some variation of a 1911. All are good reliable guns and it ultimately comes down to your preference. I would love to own any of them.

I have a pancake holster for my G23 that works well enough but it peeks under sweaters. I've found that the better thing is actually one of these from 5.11:

http://www.511tactical.com/511Images/WebImages/Products/2006Update/large/holsterShirt_sized_black_lg.jpg
a holster shirt from 5.11 tactical
http://www.511tactical.com/index.asp?dlrID=511&dept=3&number=40011

Comes in both black and white and the side pockets are large enough to hold a G23.
EDIT:
I forgot to mention that the shirt is one of those perspiration wicking, form fitting shirts so you can wear it under regular t-shirts, button-downs, polos, etc.

slosurfer
06-09-2007, 01:22 AM
Are well shaped pectoral muscles included with the shirt?

Peter
06-09-2007, 01:30 AM
They've got the cut and man-boob sizes. Unfortunately, they're sold at random so you won't really be able to tell which one you have until you get home and try it on ;)

slosurfer
06-09-2007, 01:45 AM
YOu can hide a bigger gun with manboobs.

Peter
06-09-2007, 07:25 AM
I really have nothing to say to that... I've been struck speechless by your inescapable logic concerning male mammaries.

90RunnerRed
06-09-2007, 07:53 AM
That shirt rocks. I may have to try one of those. Half the time I end up carrying my P22 in a front pocket holster just because of comfort.

Texas Jim
06-09-2007, 09:28 PM
I have a custom made shoulder rig for my H&K USPf 45Tach. that I carry it in a lot. I also have several www.fist-inc.com holsters that are a high ride with an FBI cant. What cant stands for is a tilt of the weapon to make it easier to draw. Along with the high rise your weapon will ride higher on your body so the imprinting is less likely to happen, also order it with a sweat guard.

Make sure that you also invest in a high quality belt to carry with. yes they will be expensive!! but you can not afford for your weapon falling out of your holster because of a weak belt!!!

I also have on order a custom made urban safari rig from www.andrewsleather.com it has taken over a year for them to build it. I have a size 68" chest, probally waiting on a cow big enough to die...lol but if you go to fist, they make sever different kinds of holsters and you can purty much customize them any way you want. also mention Texas Jim sent you. They also have a great links page that "the gun guy" is on and lots of links to other holster makers as well as ammo to just consealed clothing makers. :thumbup: TJ

GrnGrand97
06-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Im getting a Comp-Tac hostler, not sure which one I will be getting though. I will be ordering next paycheck. Then I have to save up for a CCW class.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/redrunner_87/Random/glock002.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/redrunner_87/Shooting/shooting007.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/redrunner_87/Shooting/shooting005.jpg
Not my Glock 19 but my friends Glock 23
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/redrunner_87/Shooting/shooting006.jpg

Peter
06-09-2007, 11:35 PM
I don't know why but I've been wanting to pick up a .22 pistol.
I guess I'm more in touch with my feminine side :P

No offense Texas Jim, but I've always felt that shoulder rigs were a little too showy. It conceals okay enough but my major concern was always the fact that the gun is pointing out instead of down. In all of my experience I've actually only seen one cop who ever used a shoulder rig when he was off-duty or in plainclothes detail and he was one of those showy type of guys.

I'll admit, the shoulder rig is pretty sexy and I wouldn't mind wearing one for the cool factor but if I was trying to hide a weapon I wouldn't be looking for one of those.

Only my opinion though.

localmotion
06-10-2007, 07:21 AM
IMO, the 1911 Mil Spec is like a Ferrari. Its kick ass, looks great and people awe when they see it, but its not very reliable.

Glock IMO is like a Toyota. Very reliable, not too eccentric but definitely wanted.

For holsters, go with the Blackhawk Serpa holster. They are the most comfortable IMO.

GrnGrand97
06-10-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't know why but I've been wanting to pick up a .22 pistol.
I guess I'm more in touch with my feminine side :P

I am actually debating whether to buy a .22 pistol or to buy a .22 conversion for my Glock. .22's are a load of fun to shoot and they are really cheap to shoot. LocalMotoin I will look into that holster.

Peter
06-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Ooh... I forgot about those conversion kits!
Still, it would be nice to just have the gun itself than have to deal with a separate slide.

localmotion:
I've been eyeing that holster for a while. I'm assuming you have one - I'm a little hesitant to get plastic vs. leather. The concealability is good though?

GrnGrand97
06-10-2007, 01:53 PM
I think the conversion kit is a little bit cheaper than a new .22. The conversion is $250 and I believe you can pick up a decent .22 for about that much. Thats why I was leaning towards a new pistol. Just easier to take both guns out than switching barrels.