PDA

View Full Version : TRD locker ?'s

20005spd
05-07-2007, 08:35 PM
well im getting sick of my rear lockright being that i have a 5spd its kinda aggrivating around corners. i can get my hands on a trd locker relatively cheap but i have a few questions about this before i do it.
do i need all the fancy trd locker computer junk or can i just use the stock diff lock switch and wire it to the locker like a normal switch?
i vaguely remember hearing about being able to use a cable for the trd locker. some kind of kit or something, im not sure. im sure someone will know though.

jimbo74
05-07-2007, 08:43 PM
you can jsut wire it up to a switch, many peopel do this.... i think you will need to make some modifications to the housing of your vehicle, but it shouldn't be bad....

20005spd
05-07-2007, 08:51 PM
im going to switch the entire stock housing with the trd housing with all its guts. i dont want to deal with modifing housings to much bs for me.

jimbo74
05-07-2007, 08:52 PM
that works then......

yup you can jsut wire it up with a regular switch

Seanz0rz
05-07-2007, 08:59 PM
you will either have to modify the axle housing, or swap an axle, its not just a question of swapping in the elocked 3rd member.

jimbo74
05-07-2007, 11:18 PM
you will either have to modify the axle housing, or swap an axle, its not just a question of swapping in the elocked 3rd member.

he already said he is going to swap in the whole axle

drguitarum2005
05-07-2007, 11:30 PM
out of curiosity, how does swapping in the entire axle work but just the third not work?

Bob98SR5
05-07-2007, 11:49 PM
dr,

he means finding a e-locker that is already mated to an axle for an elocker. so old axle out and new axle (w/ elocker) in.

bob

20005spd
05-08-2007, 03:24 AM
out of curiosity, how does swapping in the entire axle work but just the third not work?

first i need one from a 4runner so it has control arm brackets. then the holes for studs on the no trd rear end are evenly spread around in a circle. on a trd locked rear end 1 or 2 or the studs on the driver side are in different spots to accomidate the electric guts of the locker. to swap an elocker 3rd you must drill a couple new holes, tap them, hopefully the 3rd's ring gear clears the housing on the inside, cuz you will be grinding away to get that to fit. thats y im not dealing with that. this is going to be a quick painless swap.
but back to the topic on hand, is there any type of cable kit for e locker operation? i dunno how it would work, but it would be way better than electric (imo) say if i was in some water or w/e.

mastacox
05-08-2007, 06:25 AM
Downey and NWOR both have cable actuator kits for the TRD E-Locker. I have to say a button is a much slicker option though, since the cable actuator has a big handle and associated bracket you have to mount.

Robinhood4x4
05-08-2007, 07:08 AM
This is how you wire it up with a normal switch. It looks complicated but after you study it for a little bit it's really easy. You only need to use the first wiring diagram, the rest are just gravy.

http://carterswebsite.com/4runner/mods/locker/

bamachem
05-08-2007, 07:29 AM
don't you also need the LOCKER ECU?

Seanz0rz
05-08-2007, 11:00 AM
not necessarily, you need the ecu if you want the locker to work like it was from the factory, this means 4lo only. if however you want it in 2hi or 4hi, or really when ever you want it on, then just wire it to a switch from the acc line. this way the locker is not draining power while the vehicle is parked.

as near as i can tell anyway. and then you dont have to wire in the ecu, or pay for it for that matter...

this mod is coming this summer, as soon as bob gets that wiki up... we are all waiting patiently bob...

Elton
05-08-2007, 11:31 AM
e-lockers are nice when you need it just push a button

d0ubledown
05-08-2007, 12:13 PM
you'll need the ecu if you want it to talk to the rest of your 4wd computers...meaning only activating in 4L, speed limiter, and the dash light status. if you dont care for any of those...you can just hook it up with some relays and an incab switch. of course you wont have any light to indicate whether or not the locker is activated.

another thing to think about. unless the locker you can get is the same gear ratio as the one your runner currently has, you'll either have to regear the elocker or the front diff so they match

if youre interested, i've got a 4.30 elocked diff with wiring harnesses & connectors, as well as a front 4.30 open ADD diff from my LTD... :thumbup:

Seanz0rz
05-08-2007, 12:15 PM
how much doubledown?

Robinhood4x4
05-08-2007, 09:58 PM
of course you wont have any light to indicate whether or not the locker is activated.

Mine has a light. So does Bob's (because I wired it).

20005spd
05-09-2007, 03:32 AM
i could wire up a light if i wanted to. i figure ill find out real quick if the locker isnt locked by having way less traction. im pretty sure i have 4:10 but the place i was going to get the locker from should have fronts to go with these rears, i have no problem switchin them both, prefferably to a 4:30 or even better a rare 4:56.

how much are you looking to get for your axles? shipping would be killer though.

i also do not want the ecu. if i want that locker on it better be on,no 4lo bs under 15mph lol
to be honest i might even have the ecu in my truck because for some rare reason my friend at his toyota dealership looked up what i should have for a rear diff with my vin # and it said i had a trd locker :headscratch:

any way thanks for the help so far keep the info coming :thumbup:

btw, i think the cable kits are a way to go, id hate for that diff to get wet on the trail, cuz we all havta cross some water sometime, and then not work or get stuck on or something.

d0ubledown
05-09-2007, 07:59 PM
i just want to get back what i paid for em... $850 for the pair. im in vancouver canada, but i'll be shipping from blaine or point roberts WA (98281 & 98230 respectively). front diff weighs the most, (i think the package tag says approx 80lbs), but without the ADD tube it'll probably be cheaper as it wont be as bulky. i'll of course knock some for the diff tube. the rear diff is somewhere about 50lbs? in a 5G bucket should be approx 50 or so bucks on the same coast i think..but dont quote me on that.

20005spd
05-10-2007, 03:46 AM
thanks double, ill probably pick one up from the place near me when im ready. itll be in that same price range anyways.