PDA

View Full Version : leaky front axle seal

Lee
05-09-2007, 07:35 AM
my front pass axle seal was leaking. went in to replace it and found it was very hard to figure out if it was aligned straight. well we did the best we could, used some grease on the edge as advised by the manual, then reassembled, refilled, and all seemed to be well. its now 3 or 4 days later and it is leaking again. :(

i assume this is because it didnt go in straight?

few questions for those who have replaced this themselves:

1) how far in did you push the seal? did you make the lip of the seal match the lip of the axle, or did you push farther in?
2) what did you use to tap it in? i dont have a 66mm socket or whatever would fit that, :laugh:
3) any tips on how to ensure it is straight?

gonna have another go at it soon.

thanks.

Lee
05-09-2007, 05:28 PM
bump... no one's replaced theirs??

d0ubledown
05-09-2007, 07:31 PM
is this the seal off the diff youre referring to? when i swapped front diffs, i had to put in a new seal. cant remember which side...but i think i used a 2X4 or similar block of wood. tried to get it as centered & level as possible, and slowly tapped it in with a hammer making sure it went in evenly. once it bottomed out, the face of the seal was flush with the diff end (i think its kinda recessed though?). then i slowly went around it n made sure it was gootentoit...

anyway...hope that helps

Lee
05-10-2007, 06:07 AM
well the thing is, you can keep pushing it in till it hits the bearing, which clearly you do not want to do. i put it a smidge past the lip.... and apparently unevenly because it is f-ing leaking again :(