PDA

View Full Version : 89 Pickup Failed emissions! What could it be?

SLC Punk
05-09-2007, 08:02 AM
I just bought a 1989 Toyota pickup 4X4 with the 22RE. I have changed out the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. I took it to get the emissions done and it passed the high speed test (2,500 rpm) with 119 ppm HC whereas the limit is 220 ppm. However, the idle test (989 rpm) the HC's failed badly, the reading was 589 ppm, the limit is 220 ppm. The CO readings both were low, so I am thinking it cannot be the cats.

I did notice that there is a slight miss at idle, I feel it every 10-15 seconds. I did the seafoam treatment last night. I put 1 1/2 cans in the tank, 6 oz in the oil, and did the intake twice, once with 1/2 can, let it sit for an hour then drove it for 10 minutes. I then did the treatment again where I used the other 1/2 can and let it sit overnight. It is still missing at idle. Under load, the engine feels fine.

Any ideas as to what would cause such a high HC reading only at idle as well as the miss?

reggie 00
05-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Emissions T/S is by no means my specialty. I do have a couple sources i can tap if no one can help on this.

The one an only time i failed for idle emissions it was because the air injector pump wasn't injecting air into the exhaust. This was on my 83 so i don't know how much of this will be the same even closely the same. If i remember right there is some type of air injection on the EFIs cause i had to get the air injection tubes fabbed up to run my header and still pass smog. On the 83 there is a i think electronically actuated valve up front with two big ol hoses coming out. 1 to the air injectors at the exhaust manifold and i think the other goes to the air cleaner. Any way the valve was not opening like it should, so Pops basically took it out and beat all the guts out of it so it was always open. Worked like a charm, was suppose to be temporary but i still haven't replaced it and have run it thru 3-4 smogs like that.

Did you take temp readings at the Cat? i was told it should be significantly higher in the front.

SLC Punk
05-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Ok I think i know what part you are talking about. I will have to check it out when I get home. Thanks for the pointer!

I do not know the temp readings on the cat's, I had been driven about 30 miles prior to me taking it in..

blink
05-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Welcome back travis!

SLC Punk
05-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Thanks! I lost interest in off-roading after I sold my 4Runner (the Tundra is way to nice to take it on the trail). Now that I have an 89 that I am going to just beat, I am back!! :clap:

MTL_4runner
05-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Travis, good score on the truck! :thumbup:

Having changed out the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, I would do a few other things

1) Double check the timing to make sure it's within spec. Be sure to jumper the diagnostic port properly or you won't get a good base reading. To check the timing via the FSM, you set to 12 degrees BTDC, jumper the diagnostic port's T (test) terminal and E1(ground), and it should drop to 5-7 degrees BTDC.

2) Look for any possible stored trouble codes. Do this by turning the ignition switch to ON, but do not start the engine. You need to jumper the diagnostic port same as above to get into OBD I mode for the CPU, then read the number of blinks on the dash......you might get something like a code 51 or similar.

3) Test the TPS. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml

4) Replace the front O2 sensor (Denso obviously)

SLC Punk
05-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks Jamie!

I will have to check that out. :thumbup: