PDA

View Full Version : A/C Install?

rubysRunner
05-10-2007, 02:28 AM
Hey there Guys/Gals,

I was sitting in traffic today with the sun beating down on me, all windows open, and realized...I'm really not looking forward to another summer suffering in the heat on my way into work. So I'm wondering, has anyone installed a/c in their trucks/runners?

I've been looking around on the net a little, but not finding too much info (the fact that I have restricted internet access at work isn't helping).

It would appear that I can either:
1. buy an aftermarket kit
2. buy a kit from the dealer ($$$)
3. try and round up some parts at the junk yard.
4. sell my truck and get one with factory a/c (not gonna happen unless I happen to find a mint 1st gen with a/c :hillbill:)

The junk yard option appeals to me first, as that's probably the cheapest route...but could also be problematic I'm sure.

I'm looking for your opinions/advice & experiences with any of these options, as I'm not sure which is going to be the better plan.

Please UY, point me in the right direction :headscratch:

TIA

Julie

MTL_4runner
05-10-2007, 06:00 AM
Julie, if you were short on cash and had an immaculate 1st gen (easiest is to just buy a new 1st gen that has A/C already), then I would go the junkyard route and if you could get a complete system that would be ideal. Even better would be to find a donor vehicle that you could have side by side to take parts out of.....look for one that still has pressure in the lines because you don't want one that has been dry for years or might have a chance of being contaminated.

A/C systems are a bit of a pain to put in since the evaporator is usually buried in the dash, the lines are snaked into the engine compartment every which way and getting everything sealed up to where you don't get any leaks can be tedious, but the entire process is very doable. Back on 1st gens the A/C systems used R-12, but that stuff is impossible to find in Canada (it is banned in BC) and outrageously expensive when you do (you'd have to travel to the US to be recharged).

Do yourself a favor and convert over to R-134a right away (it will be a little less efficient, but believe me, the hassle of finding R-12 just isn't worth it). This conversion will require special adapter fittings on the high/low side couplers and you really should buy a new drier from the dealer (I've seen a few people just get away with flushing the drier and refilling with fresh oil, but it's not recommended). Make sure to use all new o-rings at every connection (they're cheap anyway....you can buy a huge kit on ebay if needed). Once you have it all together you'll need to bring it to a shop and have them pull a vacuum on it to make sure you have no leaks. If it holds vacuum, add new oil and refill with the correct amount of R-134a (look at the sight glass, there should be no bubbles when the compressor is running). Voila, you now have nice cold A/C.

rubysRunner
05-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the info Jamie.

I thought there would be a problem trying to install an older system, didn't know R-12 was banned in BC though.

Sounds like the easiest option is to go with the aftermarket kit then. Has anyone ever put one of these in? Are they reliable?

I should add that due to my lack of knowledge, this will most likely be installed my mechanic, or my dad (with me constantly watching over their shoulder asking stupid questions and driving them crazy :roll: )