PDA

View Full Version : traveling websites for booking flights and such

neliconcept
05-10-2007, 05:08 PM
me and my mother have decided to fly out to colorado to visit the school before I finally head off, orientation, and getting my classes all setup. So far I have only really used travelocity to check flights from greenville/spartanburg airport and Atlanta. Does anybody have a favorite site or a good site suggestion I may use for booking flights during the first week of July (which hopefully wont break the bank that month)

I just thought id ask

thanks

Blake

calrockx
05-10-2007, 06:25 PM
the airlines sites can have deals.

studentuniverse.com

neliconcept
05-10-2007, 07:55 PM
wow i guess the dates i picked its going to suck balls, july 4th and the orientation is the 6th :/

355 for a single person, a while back I priced it to almost 140

rubysRunner
05-10-2007, 09:31 PM
I always seem to have the most luck going the airlines sites directly. I find when I look on travelocity, expedia etc., they don't seem to reflect any seat sales the airlines may have going at that time. Seat sales are very common on domestic flights (at least they are up here in the great white north), so just check all the airlines, and check them often as it'll change from one day to the next. Good luck

reggie 00
05-10-2007, 09:41 PM
x2 on directly to the airline site.

My old job had me flying constantly, i would easily do 300K+ a year. I got quite good at looking up flights rooms and what not.

You might try flying out the 5th.

Where are you leaving from and going to?

the orientation is on the 6th when where you wanting to go back?

neliconcept
05-11-2007, 10:00 AM
thanks reggie and ruby, ill have to do some more looking, prob gonna be up there considering CSU made a dumb dumb picking july 4th weekend to do an orientation for transfer students.

thanks everybody

drguitarum2005
05-11-2007, 11:05 AM
when i fly up to cornell (ithaca airport, its about the size of my garage) to visit my girlfriend, i usually check priceline, expedia and travelocity for whatever airline is going, and then i head over to that airlines site for a cheaper price. there are never any specials for me going there, im assuming because its such a tiny airport, but those travel sites tack on $5 more than the airline themselves, so I just book through the airline.

oh and dont cry about $355, I spend $375-$400 every time I go visit her ;)

neliconcept
05-11-2007, 12:14 PM
when i fly up to cornell (ithaca airport, its about the size of my garage) to visit my girlfriend, i usually check priceline, expedia and travelocity for whatever airline is going, and then i head over to that airlines site for a cheaper price. there are never any specials for me going there, im assuming because its such a tiny airport, but those travel sites tack on $5 more than the airline themselves, so I just book through the airline.

oh and dont cry about $355, I spend $375-$400 every time I go visit her ;)

its not really me who cares about the price, its my mom lol, its 355 that she thinks isnt necessary to spend if we really dont have to go. so im trying to look for a good price. 355 isnt bad imo. crap when we went to europe it was around 1400 a ticket for each of us and that was 4 ppl,

surf4runner
05-11-2007, 12:36 PM
good timing on the sources, im looking to book for HI

my nephew is graduating this week and is going to CSU also. (shhhh hes a mitsu-ricer)

calrockx
05-11-2007, 07:16 PM
crap when we went to europe it was around 1400 a ticket for each of us and that was 4 ppl,

geez, did you book on planes-made-of-gold airlines? i just got tickets to europe from LA for 1050, and that's during the busy summer season.

Henry
05-11-2007, 07:30 PM
I've had good results with orbitz.

neliconcept
05-11-2007, 08:53 PM
crap when we went to europe it was around 1400 a ticket for each of us and that was 4 ppl,

geez, did you book on planes-made-of-gold airlines? i just got tickets to europe from LA for 1050, and that's during the busy summer season.

i dont remember but i think it might have been more, swissair to Zurich from Atlanta and this was i think 12 years ago.

neliconcept
05-11-2007, 08:57 PM
wow checked orbitz and then checked united airlines, orbitz was 298 with United, then United was 373, kinda odd but whatever. 298 isnt too bad at all

reggie 00
05-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Just watch out using those travel sites.
I have more than once sat and listened to people say but i bought my tickets from ________. why don't i have a seat. Sometimes they get a little over generous with the seats they have to sell in hopes that someone wont show. The airlines do it too, but its their plane so who do you think get first dibs? And the ever popular oops i forgot to book this all the way thru to the airline mistake.

One couple was on their way to a wedding that morning in Denver, had to buy full pop tickets right there and take up the discrepancy with the .com later if they wanted to make the wedding. And they had to figure out the return flight too.

And drguitarum2005- i hope your rolling a frequent flyer program and went and got a CC that gets you miles on that airline too if you are dishing out that kinda coin all the time.