PDA

View Full Version : 2wd to 4wd conversion, sourcing parts and buildup

Pages : [1] 2

neliconcept
05-10-2007, 06:47 PM
As some of you know, I have been planning on trading in, but, Im not willing to wait,, yes yes im not willing to wait, I like my silver sport edition even though I wouldnt mind having a black sport.

I know most of you think im an idiot for doing this and I should trade, but id rather keep my silver truck as it stands out from the rest imo and I just have fond memories of it.

step 1 will consist of

- tranny, anywhere from 600 to 1000
- base model sr5 runner chain driven or tacoma transfercase
- tranny mount
- rear drive shaft.

I will run that setup for a while until I get the front done. This will also allow me to mod the case so I can run 2lo for the remainder and be able to at least keep up with the 4wd crowd with my rear locker.

step 2
- tacoma front end
- manual hubs
- 4wd spindels
- non add shafts and front diff.
- and front driveshaft

step 3

lockin that front

Im starting to get a looot of money during the summer. and I want to do step one before I head for Colorado State hopefully!

if anybody has any inputs or thoughts on this let me know. hopefully the xfer case is first to get within this week.

already have shifter console piece.

update: found a tranny in lavonia GA which is a relief since its only about 35 miles, he wanted 1k for it but I talked him down to 900 while I was there, however I hope to get at least it down to 850 hopefully. got some things to sell and should have that next week maybe later depending.

what I have in my posession(sp?) now

http://As some of you know, I have been planning on trading in, but, Im not willing to wait,, yes yes im not willing to wait, I like my silver sport edition even though I wouldnt mind having a black sport.

Heres the deal, I think I can get it done and be correct for around 2k, and thats prob over doing it on price.

step 1 will consist of

- tranny, anywhere from 600 to 1000
- base model sr5 runner chain driven or tacoma transfercase
- tranny mount
- rear drive shaft.

I will run that setup for a while until I get the front done. This will also allow me to mod the case so I can run 2lo for the remainder and be able to at least keep up with the 4wd crowd with my rear locker.

step 2
- tacoma front end
- manual hubs
- 4wd spindels
- non add shafts and front diff.
- and front driveshaft

step 3

lockin that front and gettin a crawlerbox.

Im starting to get a looot of money during the summer. and I want to do step one before I head for Colorado State hopefully!

if anybody has any inputs or thoughts on this let me know. hopefully the xfer case is first to get within this week.

already have shifter console piece.

edit: I sourced a tranny in Lavonia GA and they were asking about 1k for it, I got it down to 900 in the shop but I may be able to get it down even more, this is such a relief since its only 35 miles away compared to the other closest tranny being 200 miles.

Im a little bit confused on what type of mount goes where and what mounts I need to get. Also what shifters I may need to order or get from a junkyard.

what I have in my posession now

[img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/8942/transfercase002ff9.jpg

sschaefer3
05-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Step One buy this adapter and keep your 2WD 2001 transmission.

Note the "Prerunner Adapter".

http://www.sonoransteel.com/temp/inch.jpg

Maybe someday you'll even buy some small trinket from me for the countless hours I have spent on this with you. Converting your 2WD to 4WD is extremely east to do.

Step 2 is buy that $75.00 transfer case I found for you.

YotaJunky
05-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Do you expect any down time? If so, do you have another vehicle for DD? It sure sounds like a lot of work, but I'm sure you've thought it through.

Good luck!

Troy

neliconcept
05-10-2007, 10:00 PM

Maybe someday you'll even buy some small trinket from me for the countless hours I have spent on this with you. Converting your 2WD to 4WD is extremely east to do.

haha yeah man i'll hook you up

but the downside to the adapter, is that its only compatible with their lefty tcase
I talked to Jim and he said no case I can find from a tacoma or runner will fit it. otherwise id have had that today!

jimbo74
05-10-2007, 11:07 PM
SAS that pig

Cebby
05-10-2007, 11:18 PM
SAS that pig

x2... Spring Under 44! :D It would be shorter than it is now.

Cheese
05-11-2007, 06:43 AM

[/understatement of the year]

sschaefer3
05-11-2007, 07:29 AM

but the downside to the adapter, is that its only compatible with their lefty tcase
I talked to Jim and he said no case I can find from a tacoma or runner will fit it. otherwise id have had that today!

Well I would get the "lefty" then with a 4.7 gear in it. Add up how much a Transmission would be, the Chain Transfer case and cutting and re-welding your 2WD cross member.

My guess is that since you have to plasma cut out the 2WD Cross member mounts, buy the Front Range one or buy the $300 in stock brackets, weld all that back in, the Lefty is going to cheaper in the end as it is your all time favorite 100% BOLT IN.

You know if he can make one for the lefty, he can make one easier for the chain case, he just wants you to buy his lefty. That is a smart move.

Since the front would be from a Non-Add Tacoma with manual hubs, the Lefty would be the ideal choice.

neliconcept
05-11-2007, 08:53 AM
SAS that pig

workin on figuring that one out as we speak :)

Well I would get the "lefty" then with a 4.7 gear in it. Add up how much a Transmission would be, the Chain Transfer case and cutting and re-welding your 2WD cross member.

My guess is that since you have to plasma cut out the 2WD Cross member mounts, buy the Front Range one or buy the $300 in stock brackets, weld all that back in, the Lefty is going to cheaper in the end as it is your all time favorite 100% BOLT IN.

You know if he can make one for the lefty, he can make one easier for the chain case, he just wants you to buy his lefty. That is a smart move.

Since the front would be from a Non-Add Tacoma with manual hubs, the Lefty would be the ideal choice.

He did say that if I was to buy a dual front adapter and place the chain case behind that it would work. my case costed me 100, i have located tranny for 900, so its a little cheaper but not much. If you think I should get the lefty I mise well, hopefully I can see if they can give me a deal on both as a combo price. I actually talked to Matt, ill call again and talk to Jim to see if he thinks its possible. this would certainly be the easier way out. but i dont know if i have 2400 laying around and thats not even including the rest with driveshafts and front end :/

I may take that case back today, i think i have a 3 day return policy on it.

neliconcept
05-11-2007, 09:32 AM
screw it, just called Jim, im going with the prerunner adapter, lefty with 4:1 gears, and hes gonna throw in a chomoly output shaft and used speed sensor in for free :)

i guess im gonna have to waste more gas and take this case I have now back or if someone wants to buy it let me know.

Thanks Steve, though I still have to get a budbuilt crossmember, its going to be easier then fabbing up the fror mount.

sschaefer3
05-11-2007, 09:58 AM
I still have to get a budbuilt crossmember, its going to be easier then fabbing up the fror mount.

No you don't. You don't have to do anything. Your 2WD tranny supports the drive train, the t-case just hangs back there. You don't have to do anything but bolt it in.

You will have to get a "real" driveshaft with a slip yoke though. See if that junk yard can trade you the t-case for a rear drive shaft. Ask Inchworm man if you can run a stock 96-02 4WD rear shaft on that case. I has a weird flange pattern.

Why in the world did you think you need a BudBuilt? Bud WAS going to make one, but never did. There isn't even one available. You don't need the FROR one because your factory installed 2WD cross member and mount will work just fine.

This is all BOLT ON BABY! Just the way you like it.

sschaefer3
05-11-2007, 10:06 AM
You also get your speedometer signal from the ABS sensors. See if he has a slug/plug for the sender hole and you won't use it. It would be better to have the hole sealed than exposed terminals.

You can check for sure to see if you currently have a sender. Look on the passenger side of the tranny for the unit pictured in the lefty, that is a 2WD, not a 4WD sender. You should see that exact part on the side with a 3 wire plug. Casey had it but Casey did not have ABS, you do.

So your don't have a speedo sender to begin with. I would ask him about that, but he might not know that much about newer 4Runners.

neliconcept
05-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Jim told me about budbuilt xmember for that case, he told when I take the tailhousing off that takes away the 2wd tranny mount there. I need to go look under it to understand exactly what im doing and whats going off and whats getting bolted on. He said I could use stock case but i would do another adapter stacking and then id have to get a little fabby with the mounts and xmember. the shaft with 4wd will work but has to be extended or mine shortened.

I guess everyone has a question why im doing this conversion, I guess to get some respect, Im tired of wheeling a 2wd, its 2wd everyone says, I know and i just want to be able to do expedition travel without the worry of getting stuck out in the middle of nowhere.

Steve, Im sorry I have wasted your time, but you have been a big help and I really do appreciate that.

I gotta get that case out of my truck, its stinking it up to all hell.

neliconcept
05-11-2007, 10:19 AM
im gonna start taking pics of the underside to help me out a little when I talk to various sources.

Let me go do that now while I have some freetime, but the tranny mount is hooked to the tailhousing and not the tranny itself.

neliconcept
05-11-2007, 01:08 PM
here are the pictures of my driveshaft, since i have an 01 it may be different then previous runners, that i do not know

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/DPP_00090.jpg
the rear to the diff.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/DPP_00091.jpg
thats the tail housing mount and driveshaft connected to tail housing

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/DPP_00092.jpg
tail housing mount, sorry for the funky angle, was on my back taking this

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/DPP_00093.jpg
picture of the mounting to the tail housing from above crossmember.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/DPP_00094.jpg
tail housing and driveshaft connecting.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/DPP_00095.jpg
full one peice shaft unlike the tacomas with the 2 peice shafts.

sschaefer3
05-11-2007, 05:54 PM
You'll have to get the Front Range mount or one from Bud if he makes one. You'll also have to cut out the stock crap. Which on a 2WD as you can see from the pics is low duty. The up side is that you keep your transmission and you will have a 4Runner more capable with crawler gears than 95% of them on these boards. Once you put the front in.

The irony is the 2WD kid will go from show truck to real truck, real fast. That was the right move it will be worth in in Colorado.

Cheese
05-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Some impressively good tech here.

Please call and order, vendors have to make money too. Sounds like you have been doing that.

FWIW, you will hate life with only a 4:1 case. With the auto, that is enough gearing most of the time, but it is too much some time. Coming from a 2wd, it will be too much a whole lot of the time.

With the auto, you really need a chance for a stock low.

neliconcept
05-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Some impressively good tech here.

Please call and order, vendors have to make money too. Sounds like you have been doing that.

FWIW, you will hate life with only a 4:1 case. With the auto, that is enough gearing most of the time, but it is too much some time. Coming from a 2wd, it will be too much a whole lot of the time.

With the auto, you really need a chance for a stock low.

Jim did say he could make the lefty stock gears, since its a geared case and i can change the gearing in it to 4:1 or 4.7:1 what would it end up costing me later on for that?

Steve, im assuming the cross member that holds the tranny up needs to be cut out? Sounds good, my bro does some fab stuff so I do have somebody who can help. Im getting anxious that i will finally be 4wd in the upcoming months.

and yeah the reasoning is CO since im moving out there that I really do need this.
Im also sourcing some info from a guy who did this exact conversion with the adapter and lefty from TTORA, he is the first guy and it seems i will be the second guy. he got Bud to make him a custom crossmember, I may call up bud to see what the timeframe would be for such a project.

Steve and Adrian, The part that is the slipyoke, is it possible to just change that over to the 4wd end or am i looking at a waste of time and just to get a new 4x4 shaft and get it lenghtened 3 or 4" whatever Tim quoted me.

Thanks for all your help, Its getting to be a lot clearer now and I think im on the right track as far as the project goes.

Sorry if I have been an ass over the past couple weeks, my last college does that to ppl, its worthless.

-Blake :)

neliconcept
05-11-2007, 08:04 PM
oh and if anybody wants any pictures of anything else let me know, im a picture happy whore

Cheese
05-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Get a shaft, have it lengthened to fit. Not likely to be a stock anything.

You need to do a project like this in a buy once, cry once mindset. You could cut some corners now, not buy the gears and two cases, then redo the gears and cases down the road. This is a big jump do, get it done.

neliconcept
05-12-2007, 05:23 AM
Get a shaft, have it lengthened to fit. Not likely to be a stock anything.

You need to do a project like this in a buy once, cry once mindset. You could cut some corners now, not buy the gears and two cases, then redo the gears and cases down the road. This is a big jump do, get it done.

alright 4x4 shaft it is,
and with the 4:1 gears, I think i may just go ahead and get them as I may regret it later. but will i blow rear ends like Jim has been doing to his with his crawlerbox setup?

sent Bud an email regarding case member, i may have him measure it up and ill just head up to morganton to see what he thinks.

sschaefer3
05-12-2007, 06:58 AM
I don't think you'll have Jim's problems any time soon. That was due to old well worn diffs. Is your rear diff old and well worn? No it's not.

I hear the Cheeseburger, but if it were me I would do the 4.0 gear. I drove Verns truck around years ago with a single 4.7 case and while it would be more ideal to have stock low in the picture, I and he made it work. It's not that bad, not ideal, but it's OK.

The benefits of having the 4.0 gear greatly outweigh the times it would be a nuisance.

With that truck 5th gear in the manual and 4.7 low was the same as 1st gear stock low. You just can't go to second. If you want to go faster go back to high range. With an auto slush box, it will be OK.

I would do the 4.0 gear if it were me.

neliconcept
05-12-2007, 07:52 AM
I thought i would add these pics up as well,

This is SAR_Squids conversion over on TTORA. He has a 2000 prerunner he did this too.
saved these images so i wouldnt use his bandwidth

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4185/2wdtrannyko4.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/309/2wdadapterfh1.jpg

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8822/2wdcouplerca7.jpg

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5047/2wdcasefc6.jpg

also i noticed that this guy was able to retain the stock trim area and he did a twin stick config. I guess ill have to buy a pistol grip shifter and the plate behind that with the P N D R 2 and L plate for that pistol grip. and a tcase shifter, couldnt find the search function to find these on car-part.com

here is his setup for that.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1324/2wdto4wdsetupot9.jpg

Cheese
05-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Blake has an auto.

Blake, I have the same drivetrain as Jim. I have lower diff gears at 5.29. I think my auto saves my diffs, but I have killed one diff to date.

I am attempting to advocate dual cases.

Most of my wheeling is 4.7 low and 1 or 2. Some times when I need wheel speed, I use stock low and 1. Rarely if ever do I used double low.

neliconcept
05-13-2007, 06:35 AM
I guess I'll just have to be careful and try and save the rear before I do what Jim did and get it cryoed as well and cromo inners.

Im tryin to think of what else I need to plan before I start pullin the trigger on parts.

sschaefer3
05-13-2007, 07:21 AM
I am attempting to advocate dual cases.

I was wheeling all day yesterday and with a 5-speed you can use the 4.7 case only and 3 rd gear not 5th is like stock low 1st. So you still have 4th and 5th to go up.

If you are in Stock low 4th gear, my guess is you could shift to high 1st gear and it would be the same.

So with my tests, I think one single 4.7 case would be/is fine.

As for advocating dual cases, this is a 2001-2002 the Ultimate Redheaded Stepchild. The 2001-2002 4WD 4Runner CAN NOT run dual cases unless you are willing to shorted or move your gas tank. An absurd amount of work. 2001-2002 4WD 4Runners have the exact same problem the 2007 FJC has. A longer transmission.

If this 2WD wonder truck has the same longer transmission, this boy is out of luck. He is not ready to cut and rebuild his gas tank.

sschaefer3
05-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Im tryin to think of what else I need to plan before I start pullin the trigger on parts.

Your not going to break anything. Pull the trigger all your needed was that lefty thing.

BTW, the adapter between the pre-runner adapter and the lefty case is not made by Inchworm, but someone else, I forgot who but they are up by the Rubicon.

neliconcept
05-13-2007, 09:40 AM

Your not going to break anything. Pull the trigger all your needed was that lefty thing.

BTW, the adapter between the pre-runner adapter and the lefty case is not made by Inchworm, but someone else, I forgot who but they are up by the Rubicon.

yeah the coupler? I think Jim sells it in combo with the prerunner adapter though for a total of 700 then the case for 1700.

I got some things to worry about at work, so right now ill have to wait till next week or so to order this.

Cheese
05-13-2007, 03:34 PM
He has an auto, it is a whole different animal. With an adaptor on top of a goofy case, that is going to be a long SOB.

I still wonder about this undertaking.

neliconcept
05-13-2007, 03:51 PM
ill call him up tomorrow, get some measurements, measure my tail housing and see wher e it will sit.

Casey Likes Metal
05-13-2007, 08:15 PM
It's too bad you have an auto. If you had a 5 speed, we could guarantee it would fit length-wise, even with dual cases.

Have you thought about this idea? I assume you would need a new ECU from a manual truck, but other than that I don't think there would be much else to worry about. Then with the manual you could justify duals easier (saving clutches).

Apologies if this is just a lame idea. But I'm just trying to help get around the possible length problems.

-Casey

neliconcept
05-13-2007, 08:29 PM
It's too bad you have an auto. If you had a 5 speed, we could guarantee it would fit length-wise, even with dual cases.

Have you thought about this idea? I assume you would need a new ECU from a manual truck, but other than that I don't think there would be much else to worry about. Then with the manual you could justify duals easier (saving clutches).

Apologies if this is just a lame idea. But I'm just trying to help get around the possible length problems.

-Casey

thought about a manual but not sure if its possible on my truck, Somebody on TTORA mentioned something about my engine being a bit different then the previous 3rd gens, but i cant remember exact details.

Cheese
05-13-2007, 08:42 PM
There is some lacking uniformity on the cranks being drilled for a pilot bearing. That is the rub, knowing about 3.4 swaps...

I assume there is a computer nightmare, but the crank is a big deal.

Albuquerque Jim
05-13-2007, 10:06 PM
As long as you keep your rear end tight (LOL) you won't have my issues. :tapedshut:

Bighead
05-14-2007, 06:29 AM
As long as you keep your rear end tight (LOL) you won't have my issues. :tapedshut:

So I guess this means your rear end was all worn out? :flipoff:

neliconcept
05-14-2007, 07:21 AM

that might have to be a quote lol

neliconcept
05-14-2007, 02:54 PM
upon looking underneath, i hope those two adapters only take up just a little more then what the tailhousing does or else i may be SOL and up the creek. No way in hell im doing duals inless i move the tank to the rear. I have two cross members underneath, the front one will go bye bye, but i kinda hope the one near the tank doesnt as I think that may destrengthen the frame? I dunno. I cant seem to find my stupid tape measure, We have 1 billion tools in my house and no tape measure. gg

neliconcept
05-14-2007, 03:25 PM
got the measurements, from the tranny where tailhousing bolts on to the gas tank im looking at about 24" from adapters and case bolted on he said roughly 21 3/8ths however thats from adapter to the driveshaft flange, the buldge on the left of the case sticks back a little so its only about 19" to clear the gastank and second cross member.

Looks like the second cross member might have to be unbolted as well, i have two crossmembers, one where the tranny bolts on too, then the second one is just in front of the tank.

depending on when I get this one item sold will be the factor on when I get this setup intially. since I now have a good idea of where the driveshaft flange will be, I can prob go ahead and get a 4x4 shaft and have it shortened depending, heck maybe a 4x4 01 shaft might be near the correct lenght considering the center diff and case (never looked under a 01-02 4x4 though)

if this however wasnt going to fit, i was about to LT the front and rear and cage the hell out of the truck and just drive it super fast in the dezert

neliconcept
05-20-2007, 10:29 PM
ordering 4:1 case, i dont want a 4.7:1 or a 5.0:1, and the adapters tomorrow once this guy sends payment for something I sold.

The guy who did it over on TTORA went from prerunner to 5.0:1 case, now thats a freakin jump but he likes it he says, its like a tank. I could use some input, is 4:1 gonna be good in the rocks enough for me or am i in for a rude awakening that i prob wont even tap the abilities of this case once i get everything in 4wd.

neliconcept
05-21-2007, 02:02 PM
its done
however since they are backordered on 4:1 gears
going with 4.7:1 case, cryod output shaft, twin sticks, and electronic speedo.
dual adapters

all i have to do now is have Bud from Budbuilt build me a crossmember for this case, get a dshaft and have it shortened to lenght and install the above. looking at a month though for this to happen.

Cheese
05-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Dual adaptor?

The output is a good idea, the twin stick is gravy.

I am not sure there is a salient difference between 4.0, 4.7 and 5.0 I just think that you are going to have another dragon to slay after this one.

neliconcept
05-21-2007, 07:37 PM
i meant dual adapters as in both adapters for the prerunner set, i can see how that is confusing hehe.

i think its dual ready, but unless i move my tank, im not going duals ever.

yeah and im ready to deal with the consequences of a 4.7 but i think its going to be the great choice in the long run.

I hate CA sales tax, that put me back like 140 bucks alone.

Cheese
05-22-2007, 04:11 AM
Why are you paying sales tax?

You will have too much gear half the time with that set up. Not sure there is a good way around it though.

AxleIke
05-22-2007, 08:45 AM
should not be paying any sales tax unless you are in california.

neliconcept
05-22-2007, 09:43 AM
should not be paying any sales tax unless you are in california.

yeah I just realized it when he emailed me back, sorry dude we are refunding your sales tax,

Reason being I thought if you bought from cali no matter what state you are from you payed sales tax.

AxleIke
05-22-2007, 10:01 AM
i'm glad they refunded you. That would have sucked.

neliconcept
05-22-2007, 12:36 PM
i guess now im going to measure my driveshaft, measure my tail housing, and try to somehow figure out how long my new driveshaft is going to have to be with the 21 inchs from tailhousing off with the case and adapters.

anyone have measurements for an 01-02 4x4 shaft, 96-00 4x4 shaft as well?

Albuquerque Jim
05-22-2007, 09:08 PM
You're gonna measure your shaft... :rofl:

Anyways...I know you don't want down time, but you don't want to have the drive shaft build twice either. IMO wait until you have the unit in hand to determine the shaft length.

Cheese
05-23-2007, 04:51 AM
This is one of those things that you could save money and time, but likely not.

Get the stuff in the truck and then order a shaft, maybe even get it local or express shipped. That way you have what you need.

neliconcept
05-23-2007, 10:11 AM
This is one of those things that you could save money and time, but likely not.

Get the stuff in the truck and then order a shaft, maybe even get it local or express shipped. That way you have what you need.

sounds good, i got an exact measurement of the unit from Jim but yeah it might be different bolted on the truck.

It will be here i think sometime around next weekend.

neliconcept
05-24-2007, 11:34 AM
its getting shipped out tomorrow i think or monday.

another problem, they are backordered on 4.7:1 gears, got them sold out underneath them from a vender

guess what im going with now?

5.0:1

flame away :)

Cheese
05-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Flaming?

I know this is hard to imagine on a board, but I am telling you personal experience with drivetrain that I have. You will have too much gear half of the time. Stock gearing would be better in this case.

neliconcept
05-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Flaming?

I know this is hard to imagine on a board, but I am telling you personal experience with drivetrain that I have. You will have too much gear half of the time. Stock gearing would be better in this case.

i just know that someone like me coming from a 2wd doesnt really deserve to have a 5:1 gearset so thats why I said it.

I guess I'll just have to learn to drive it :)

Cheese
05-25-2007, 04:23 AM
You really don't get it.

There is nothing about deserving.

There is no learning to do.

With a stick, you can bang gears. With an auto, you get first gear unless you stand on the gas. Then you have to wait for the tranny to shift.

AxleIke
05-25-2007, 08:06 AM
I have deleted my previous two posts because they were made with the assumption that you had a stick.

Yeah, with an auto, you'll be really really slow. You'll need H4 pretty much all the time.

calrockx
05-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Blake seems like an eager beaver to join the 4wd club. Maybe too much so.

If i were a 2wd kid making the switch, I'd listen to my 4wd elders. They know a thing or two about this stuff.

I have an auto. I'd love to have slower gears than the stock low, but know that even if I did, I'd still use stock 4lo more often.

neliconcept
05-25-2007, 10:06 AM
You really don't get it.

There is nothing about deserving.

There is no learning to do.

With a stick, you can bang gears. With an auto, you get first gear unless you stand on the gas. Then you have to wait for the tranny to shift.

yeah i understand it, i know what im getting myself into. I'll just deal with it.

btw the reasoning for driveshaft measurements was to know which one to buy which will be the shortest, which in turn illl have to have it shortened anyways. just to have it in hand though

edit: I do have a pretty clear idea of what this will feel like, their is a dcab tacoma here in town that has the same case but with 4.7:1 gears, I drove it up a hill and yeah its slower then expected but i dont think its going to be a problem for me.

neliconcept
05-25-2007, 10:50 AM
oh yeah another thing. i will be installing awshifting.com's tiptronic system later on, which in hand will let me stay in 3rd gear if i want to or start out in 3rd gear, so no 1rst slowness for me.

Cheese
05-28-2007, 09:02 PM
The last I have to say...

You have never driven a real rock crawler. Here in Colorado and the Southwest, we crawl on rocks slowly. I have a rock crawler, you have seen it and we talked about it.

You are creating a problem that you cannot work past. You need stock low range probably half the time. I am betting that coming from 2wd, you will want it even more.

Some times you need wheel speed to get up obstacles when rock crawling.

Good luck with the project.

neliconcept
05-29-2007, 07:47 PM
maybe i should just return it, LT my truck and just say fuck it to 4wheelin

AxleIke
05-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Okay Blake, you gotta ease up man. You ask for advice, and advice was given. By people who know what they are talking about.

However, as with all advice, you can choose to heed or not heed the advice given.

There are some downsides to doing what you are doing. While this doesn't mean that your truck will be in a bad spot, wouldn't you rather consider all the options BEFORE you get to the point where you are out a bunch of money?

Look at it this way. You have the stuff ordered. At this point, you can return it, and get something else. Or you can put it into your truck. However, you at least know some of the issues you might face and can make a decision accordingly.

Or, as a third, and honestly, probably the best option, would be keep what you have, save a little longer, come out to colorado, where there are MANY, MANY people who would be more than willing to help you out with tools, space, and expert installation help, and purchase a second case, and get your duals in. That way you have stock and super low, and are not compromsing anything, except a little more time.

However, if you want to put in what you have, you'll be okay. You will be very slow, and as long as you understand that, where is the harm? Adrian is trying to let you know that this will be an issue, and a fairly large one. I think the thing to do is to accept the advice, and use it as a factor in making your decision. But it is your decision. Make it for yourself using all the knowledge you can. That is how people make good, sound decisions.

As for LT, you are moving to colorado. LT is cool, but 4wd will take you much, much farther than LT. Also, we have snow here.

Let me put it one last way. This is your damn truck. If you want to LT it, fine. If you want to put in 5.0 gears, fine. If you want to leave it and wait for a crawler, fine. You have provided good tech here, and created a start for anyone else in your situation looking to convert. BUT, FOR THE LOVE OF PETE, can you stop the "well then **** it, i'll just leave it and be miserable" crap? I'm not trying to be a Jerk. Talk to people who know me, they will tell you I'm not, but i see someone trying to do something good, and getting advice that could help them, and then turning into a baby. It is your truck, not anyone elses. Built what you want, for goodness sake!

neliconcept
05-30-2007, 08:42 AM
all i need is a little trip to put everything back into perspective

going to tellico june 7th-10th and ill talk to everyone there. its best when I want to crawl but cant to get this truck on the move.

neliconcept
06-01-2007, 09:37 PM
and to everybody, I am taking your advice and understand what I will have to sacrafice

heres some info of what I will try and do to aleviate the shifting problems and going uber slow

http://awshifting.com/shifters.htm

basically its a tiptronic system for our 4runners so that we can choose each gear in automatic, lock the torque converter and when im in low range I can start off in 1rst, 2nd, 3rd gear and even 4th gear if I really need it. it runs 130 plus another 20 for some cheapo looking arcade game shifter (lol i dont care) and prob another 18 bucks for a on/off toggle switch for lock converter, and 4 LEDs, for each indication of each gear.

I thought id throw that out in the air

the case and adapters are on their way and make way to my house this coming thursday, hopefully before.

neliconcept
06-04-2007, 10:02 AM
guys ive been thinking, once I get this setup in with xmember and driveshaft, about what I may do with the front.

I was really considering SAS, with sprung under to match about the same height as my rear and run 35s. Like how Steve has his, i know my rear wont flex as well as a SUA or SOA but I could run the coils for a little until I have money after the front ends up being done. these are just ideas and anybody is welcome to give me critique on the ideas :)

oh yeah Id have to rip out the VSC and ABS to make it work im assuming.

AxleIke
06-04-2007, 10:25 AM
that will cost somewhere in the range of 5k.

For that type of swap, it is COMPLETELY custom. I have a feeling that you won't have the tools to do it yourself, but i could be wrong. Plus, it involves a HUGE amount of bracing and fabrication. I would at least talk to Steve first, and get an idea of what it will take MINIMUM to get it to work, and to not have it fall off. Third gen frames are very weak up front. Lots of plating required.

neliconcept
06-04-2007, 11:09 AM
that will cost somewhere in the range of 5k.

For that type of swap, it is COMPLETELY custom. I have a feeling that you won't have the tools to do it yourself, but i could be wrong. Plus, it involves a HUGE amount of bracing and fabrication. I would at least talk to Steve first, and get an idea of what it will take MINIMUM to get it to work, and to not have it fall off. Third gen frames are very weak up front. Lots of plating required.

oh i didnt know you had to do some bracing and plating, thanks Issac, was just pondering the idea around. maybe if I can get the IFS done first for rear cheap up front and then save in preperation for the SAS later on maybe in early 08

AxleIke
06-04-2007, 11:32 AM
well, the idea is a good one, since you'd eliminate the middle step, and if you do go SAS, you'll be saving money by doing it now.

The problem is, it is a LOT of money right now.

Go to steve's site, and look at his swap information. I know very little about this sort of thing. He is an expert. Check that stuff out.

neliconcept
06-04-2007, 11:41 AM
sounds like a plan, ill gather what I can and post what everything is going to cost me (ranges and gestimations of course) and see what everybody gathers

well I could eliminate step 2 (IFS) and do SAS but still able to save up if I just wheel small crap in 2wd lowrange. not much fun but it will do me a little better then where im at now.

I'll get back to that idea in a bit :)

thanks Issac

Cheese
06-04-2007, 12:05 PM
You are going to need to get a t-case in this truck somehow, IFS or SAS.

Axle swaps are not cheap.

Leaves and stock links will make a T-Rex.

Make a plan and stick to it.

With just double locked 4wd you will be able to do atleast 75% more than you are now.

I have always said a rear locker will get you have the places you want to go, the front locker will get you to half of what is left. The problem is the last half takes out glass.

Do some more homework on this. I am the large hairy guy in Steve's pics.

neliconcept
06-04-2007, 12:09 PM
You are going to need to get a t-case in this truck somehow, IFS or SAS.

Axle swaps are not cheap.

Leaves and stock links will make a T-Rex.

Make a plan and stick to it.

With just double locked 4wd you will be able to do atleast 75% more than you are now.

I have always said a rear locker will get you have the places you want to go, the front locker will get you to half of what is left. The problem is the last half takes out glass.

Do some more homework on this. I am the large hairy guy in Steve's pics.

yeah i did wonder about the rear if i was only to do the front. and yeah im not really interested in taking out glass lol.

Thanks Adrian, still got my homework to do on the front. case and stuff will be able to go in by themselves without leaving me wondering what im having to do with the front, so that should help a little with my research.

Albuquerque Jim
06-05-2007, 06:51 AM
IMO, you shouldn't even think about SAS until you have driven a double locked, low range truck.

Cheese is right...I can go more places in my truck than I am willing to go with sheet metal and class.

I have made the choice not to cut up a nice truck and put the same $ into building something out of tubing to go any farther down the trail. Why put $5 - $10k into an IFS truck and reduce its value? Put $10k into a buggy and have another vehicle worth most of what you put into it.

neliconcept
06-05-2007, 09:05 AM
IMO, you shouldn't even think about SAS until you have driven a double locked, low range truck.

Cheese is right...I can go more places in my truck than I am willing to go with sheet metal and class.

I have made the choice not to cut up a nice truck and put the same $ into building something out of tubing to go any farther down the trail. Why put $5 - $10k into an IFS truck and reduce its value? Put $10k into a buggy and have another vehicle worth most of what you put into it.

good point, i may regret it too if i was to do so.

thanks for all the help guys.

neliconcept
06-11-2007, 03:44 PM
I've been talking to the guys at the south east 4runner jambo and we agreed that SAS is too much time and effort and its not going to do me any justice anyways for my wheeling style or what i may do with my truck.

now heres the good stuff

LOOKY LOOKY LOOKY LOOKY LOOKY LOOKY LOOKY LOOKY

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/DPP_0050.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/DPP_0051.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/DPP_0052.jpg

they mounted the casting coupler to the case already for me, i test fitted the adapter to the casting coupler and all is well.

those twinsticks are sexy as hell.

im working on this guy on TTORA to sell me his manual hubs and cv shafts so I can go ahead and install those, workin on Dragr1 for a front diff with 4.88s and arb air locker. then i need shafts and my crossmember and im ready to install.

Cheese
06-11-2007, 07:47 PM
So you needed people from the south to confirm what the people who live where you are headed already told you?

Keep on truckin'.

neliconcept
06-11-2007, 08:44 PM
So you needed people from the south to confirm what the people who live where you are headed already told you?

Keep on truckin'.

no just wanted to talk about it and my options, i was never clear but im clear as crystal now on what im going to do,

about to pick up the manual hub front end here in the next day, getting 01 4runner dshafts, and then i gotta get a front non add diff or add (change out axle tubes)

neliconcept
06-12-2007, 01:18 PM
another thing i bought and is coming in

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/migsince82/Partsforsale007.jpg

thats one side and the other as well, things that arent coming are the breaks, spindles and upper a arms,

what im getting is the aisin hubs and cv axles.

im running into a junkyard tomorrow to pick up my rear driveshaft, then to spartanburg to pick up my front.

looks like im going to be inchworms poster 4runner for this swap when all is said and done.

neliconcept
06-15-2007, 02:13 PM
i think i have some goodnews about some measurements

ok here is my driveshaft from flange to slipyoke = 57"
tailhousing is 10" which would make 67" from tranny to rear third.

from the part where the tailhousing bolts off to the gastank is 29"

my entire case and adapter setup is 21"

67" - 21" is 46" right? well i was told

Length of my 01 rear shaft is 45.5" flange to flange, that's with an auto tranny.

will this 01 shaft work or no?

i did measure from adapter to rear flange of the transfer case to where the driveshaft bolts up.

will i need to extend this shaft, or go with a 2000 shaft instead.

if anyone else has measurements of theirs, let me know :)

neliconcept
06-30-2007, 09:29 AM
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/DPP_00100.jpg

manual hubs, spindles, and cvs are still on their way, Miguel over on TTORA hasnt really got them detached from brakes and crap

BUD @ budbuilt is going to build me a crossmember asap.

ill have this thing in before I get to Colorado most likely.

front end will follow real quickly.

AxleIke
06-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Explain how this works.

I see twin stick, and a block off plate. This looks like a dual set up, but you've said it isn't. How do those shifters work?

neliconcept
06-30-2007, 11:35 AM
i can take a picture of the hooks the shifters hook in to

basically too long metal etchings that go back from the coupler (the metal casting) to the case itself.

its a foward shift setup.

if you want a picture of the shifter off and the inside I can do that :)

Cheese
06-30-2007, 11:39 AM
The thing the sticks are on is not anything but a tube/adaptor.

The high/low and 2/4 shift rails come back into it.

neliconcept
06-30-2007, 11:41 AM
The thing the sticks are on is not anything but a tube/adaptor.

The high/low and 2/4 shift rails come back into it.

said it much better then I could

thanks Adrian

AxleIke
06-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Ah. Looks good.

Keep up the work!

BruceTS
06-30-2007, 09:42 PM
things that arent coming are the breaks, spindles and upper a arms,

you need the manual rotors, is he planning on pressing them off the spindles?

neliconcept
06-30-2007, 09:52 PM
things that arent coming are the breaks, spindles and upper a arms,

you need the manual rotors, is he planning on pressing them off the spindles?

no hes not pressin em off the spindles

should fit my rotors fine. only thing different between these spindles and mine are the manual hub wheel bearings are pressed in. so i opted to get his.

inless im missing something? let me know as I thought i wouldnt need new rotors.

still learning as I go. but no worries

I plan to do some OMF beadlocks on another set of 5 stars like yours and go with 315 toyo mts.

I also think im going to do a second case, I measured and i have just 1 inch of room between the buldge and the gas tank if I was to do duals.

BruceTS
07-01-2007, 12:06 AM
I guess I used the wrong term, are you getting the axle hub assy, the part with the bearings in it?

neliconcept
07-01-2007, 07:46 AM
I guess I used the wrong term, are you getting the axle hub assy, the part with the bearings in it?

yup :) I was unsure at first, i told him not to give me the spindles, but then I asked around and the spindles have the bearings and I realized i need that so I told him to send those as well. So I should have everything I need in order for it to work.

I do have a question, would I be able to install the spindles hubs and leave the CVs out? I heard you can kinda cover them up and run them without CVs unlike auto hubs.

neliconcept
07-01-2007, 10:00 AM
I may run the truck over to my brothers, and just go ahead and install the case and driveshaft and just sit it on jack stands, and have budbuilt build the xmember when I get back from Colorado on the 9th of july. ill have to call him.

this will let me go ahead and cut the floor for the shifters. and know if the shaft will fit or not, which I know for sure it will. i double measured everything

oh btw, ill be going duals later down the road, and a dual case will fit, measured that as well

AxleIke
07-01-2007, 10:41 AM
90% sure you cannot run with the cv's out. Pretty sure this is a semifloat set up, and you will trash the bearings and spindle without the axle in.

Again, only 90% on that. Get confirmation.

Cheese
07-01-2007, 11:14 AM
On the manual hub trucks, it becomes full float.

No worries running without, but the risk of a bad seal versus just getting the thing done makes it a no brainer for me.

Get it done before you get out here. There is a trail really close to town that is going to make you hate a single geared case with an auto.

neliconcept
07-01-2007, 12:05 PM
i have to get a front diff first, so ill wait and put the front end later.

i really am tired of seeing these parts in my bonus room, ready to put em on :)

neliconcept
07-01-2007, 12:13 PM
also with the duals, i think since this casting is setup for a gear drive case, I can just pickup a 23 spline 2.28:1 case hopefully and place it in front of the 4.97:1 case. however would i need an adapter to go between the front reduction box and rear case?

AxleIke
07-01-2007, 12:21 PM
also with the duals, i think since this casting is setup for a gear drive case, I can just pickup a 23 spline 2.28:1 case hopefully and place it in front of the 4.97:1 case. however would i need an adapter to go between the front reduction box and rear case?

yes, you need another adapter.

neliconcept
07-01-2007, 12:22 PM
sounds good, now my only worry is, how will i keep these cases attached to the truck with the rear crossmember in front of my gastank in the way.

neliconcept
07-10-2007, 07:06 PM
update: just got back from colorado checking out CSU and hangin with my mom around the area.

things are going smooth and should have the case in real soon, Bud is on his way to making the xmember for me, I now have the shifter plate and pistol grip shifter in my possession but i may be missing something that Im not sure of

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/shifterarea.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/newshifter.jpg

i dont have screws or whatever that will make this move over, Im thinking of moving the stock 2wd crap over and leaving the surround piece off till i figure out what to do.

any ideas?

neliconcept
07-16-2007, 09:16 PM
just wanted to keep ppl in the loop. reason things havent gone in the truck yet is im still waiting on my crossmember, and I need to buy a old case mount.

but hopefully ill have the crossmember this week or next.

Im gonna search for a front diff and go ahead and get that while im at it, and a front driveshaft so ill have everything i need.

still waiting on the parts from Miguel, i told him he mise well ship those to my dorms in CO. cost him less and I dont have time to mess with them here.

intheclutch
07-16-2007, 09:24 PM
So while you're waiting on your crossmember, let's hear more about this Ashley and the memories you made. :)

914Runner
07-17-2007, 03:27 AM
Im thinking your going to need the whole 4WD shifter assembly instead of just the 4WD pistol grip shifter. The 4WD shifter assembly looks way different.

AxleIke
07-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Im thinking your going to need the whole 4WD shifter assembly instead of just the 4WD pistol grip shifter. The 4WD shifter assembly looks way different.

Why? He has a tranny shifter then two sticks to shift his case. What else is needed?

neliconcept
07-17-2007, 07:45 AM

what do you mean?

neliconcept
07-18-2007, 02:48 PM
talked with matt again at inchworm, looking at 800 for a dual setup with adapter and front 23 spline case, would have been 600 but has to be 23 spline for my transmission. it better be painted blue hehehe.

neliconcept
07-20-2007, 10:24 PM
im gonna shoot some random numbers for yall

i think its either 3.93 or 4.0 first gear in my tranny.

i did the math and im looking at an 83:1 crawl ratio with the single case. thats 4.10 gears and the 5.0:1 case

adding a 2.28 reduction box bumps that ratio to 190:1.

adding 4.88s bumps it more to 222:1 which would be the highest id ever go with the setup as it is now. 222:1 is a sick crawl ratio and definitely sick for a ifs 4runner.

just thought id share that with you, i may call bud tomorrow and see if I can have him ship my crossmember to atlanta, I plan on draggin my case, adapters and driveshaft so that maybe I can have somebody down there help me install everything.

btw I have a arb safari snorkel on the way as well, so yes im gonna be 4wd blinging too on the outside.

i know i know, flame away on the snorkel thing.

just keepin everybody updated on progress.

AWSUMDC
07-25-2007, 01:24 PM
SAS that pig

A short coilover three link will be really nice. It can be made to look stock and not be any taller than it is now.

Cheese
07-25-2007, 05:44 PM
With respect to the snorkel, one of the women who frequently drives my truck complains that a snorkel is the only thing that would make it cooler. Not sure what I think about that.

Let me shoot you a number, get this thing done. Carry the parts installed on the truck and call it good.

My final drive ratio with 5.29 diffs and duals combined with a factor of 2 for the TC is 330 something. It is way too low. The solid 80something without a chance for 40 something is going to bum you out.

Just get out here.

AxleIke
07-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Chicks like lots of things. I hear that making a snorkel useful is another trick and a half, involving lots and lots of electrical work.

Cool update blake.

sschaefer3
07-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Mines 252 to 1 and it's even installed.

:drool:

neliconcept
07-26-2007, 08:04 AM
id have it installed, but im not rushing Bud as i know im getting a deal on this crossmember. im bringing the parts out with me to CO inless that xmember is waiting on me at my door when i get back home (reason for me being away is internship in atlanta ga)

oh yeah, another reason for snorkel is main air inlet for the rear mount turbo (holset type 86) when i get that in, which my brother will do, we have all of the parts for that, just finding time to get it installed and tuned.

soooo much stuff to do and sooo little time.

garrett
07-26-2007, 10:36 AM
rear turbo? huh?

neliconcept
07-27-2007, 03:35 PM
check out STS for details garrett

its an exhaust mounted turbo, with no need for modified headers,

neliconcept
07-30-2007, 04:37 PM
im assuming my xmember is going to be done wensday, and ill go and pic it up, basically all im misssing is a transfercase mount, i may just check junkyards, and this weekend will be the intial install.

yes i said it "INSTALL"

AxleIke
07-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Clarify again, exactly what is going in?

Duals, inchworm? what?

As for INSTAL, its about damn time!!! :D Just givin you crap.

neliconcept
07-30-2007, 10:16 PM
inchworm single, with the adapters, budbuilt xmember, the case mount and rear driveshaft will be first go in

of course with the shifters.

only thing i hope doesnt happen is if bud forgets to finish the xmember.

all_terrain17
08-07-2007, 01:16 AM
Anything installed?

neliconcept
08-07-2007, 07:43 AM
today, the xmember comes, im gonna work on it today!!!

pictures to come. sorry but that xmember was vital or otherwise my tranny and xcase would have fallen out lol

neliconcept
08-07-2007, 09:50 AM
sorry guys but Bud just called and the UPS guy didnt come to pick up the crossmember, i gave him my colorado state address, it may beat me to the college so, ill pick it up if its out there and whoever wants to help can help me install the entire thing out in Colorado.

would appreciate it, Miguel has the front cvs, spindles and hubs on their way to the college as well.

my driveshaft is perfect lenght. 1.4 inchs of up travel, with i think 1.6 of down for the driveshaft slippage.

im strappin that damn dshaft to my rack.

neliconcept
08-15-2007, 09:17 PM
sorry for the long wait, i just picked up my BBuilt xmember today, gonna have Oleg at Irbis help me with the install. By the end of next week i should be shifting in 2lo and supercharged (charger on order)

Seanz0rz
08-15-2007, 09:19 PM
sweet blake, i cant wait!!!

garrett
08-15-2007, 10:47 PM
can you tell me where you found the money tree? :D

rocket
08-15-2007, 11:07 PM
^ i've wondered the same thing. I think Blake must be the richest college guy around. :king:

Cheese
08-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Let's get back on topic here. How or why anyone funds their habit is not the content of this thread.

all_terrain17
08-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Supercharger of turbocharger? I guess both? :D

Are you talking about one of those units that sits underneath the rear-end of the vehicle?

neliconcept
08-16-2007, 09:51 PM
going supercharger, not gonna bother with turbo, but yeah if i had my bro do it, it would be exhaust mounted.

neliconcept
08-23-2007, 07:09 AM
stage 1 will be done this weekend, its being worked on now. i still need a front end (which hasnt shipped out yet, and front diff and driveshaft which i plan to get today if i have time.

neliconcept
08-24-2007, 11:37 AM
i guess ill post pictures,

whats going on? loooooots, the tail shaft (or output shaft) from the tranny was like i dunno maybe 6 inchs longer then a prerunner shaft? well that idea has been taken care of, however now its the speed sensor, yep, ill show you in a bit about that.

Here are the images.

ill try and explain parts of it, now i havent seen it first hand, and im only relaying information, so i may be a little off in my information, if anyone else has more deeper knowledge, do step in.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/mail.jpg

tail housing off and you can see the sensor on the right

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/mail-9.jpg

sensor plugged in, well yeah its way far back

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/mail-8.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/mail-7.jpg

here is the problem, those 5 or so teeth on the gear ring before the tail shaft is what the sensor is supposed to read, see how far the sensor is from that? thats what is delaying this, and no way in hell i would have attempted this install as it is more fab work then im capable of.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/mail-5.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/mail-6.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/mail-4.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/mail-3.jpg

see the differences

this is Jamie (SAR_Squids) tacoma shaft and adapter

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/mail-2.jpg

up above that is mine.

BIGGGGGGG NOTE!!!

Both Jim at Inchworm, and Yuri (spelling) and Oleg at Irbis offroad are going out of there way to get this right and id like to make sure they are getting recognized for this outstanding work, Im over here sitting on ice scared as hell that it might not even work and id sell and trade in or something of that sort.

ill keep everyone informed.

AxleIke
08-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Wait, are you putting this in, or are Yuri and Oleg doing it?

Hurry up :D

neliconcept
08-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Oleg and Yuri are, with the help of Jim at Inchworm on the phone

AxleIke
08-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Sweet. Glad you are giving them business. They are top notch guys.

And hurry up.

Cheese
08-24-2007, 02:33 PM
You understand this will marry you to the truck.

This is also why so many said sell and start with 4wd.

I have been in class and meetings, trying to take some time to chill out tonight.

Hope it works out.

neliconcept
08-24-2007, 03:03 PM
You understand this will marry you to the truck.

This is also why so many said sell and start with 4wd.

I have been in class and meetings, trying to take some time to chill out tonight.

Hope it works out.

so very true, but i will be happy with the outcome. just a matter of time.

neliconcept
08-26-2007, 08:56 PM
update: Jim at Inchworm is using another casting (from Advanced Adapters) that hooks the tcase into the first adapter, and will drill a hole for the attending speedo sensor, hes going to ship that out and have Irbis retrun the existing casting. I think hes shipping it out monday inless he had delays.

i should be able to get pictures later, im still in the dark too but i cant wait, im in denial without my truck lol

neliconcept
08-31-2007, 01:25 PM
to be done... install case, freeze plug the first adapter where the old sensor went, then fix shifters and put in the crossmember.

updated pics, i went down to get an 87 5spd 4runner for a loaner (im not a good manual driver) figuring it out though, and whats up with first gear in the 1rst gens? its like you have to go around some freakin J/L or something, stalled out at two redlights on prospect due to starting out in 3rd gear.

pics

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/IMG_7172.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/IMG_7177-1.jpg

new sensor location
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/IMG_7180.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/IMG_7182.jpg

AxleIke
08-31-2007, 01:56 PM
You must've had a funky transmission.

Aside from having no syncro left on my first gear, it is pretty normal for a truck. You should see the shift patterns on old GM work trucks...

neliconcept
08-31-2007, 01:58 PM
You must've had a funky transmission.

Aside from having no syncro left on my first gear, it is pretty normal for a truck. You should see the shift patterns on old GM work trucks...

well i think i just need to put it in neutral first then swing it over into 1rst, as im getting decent, i have yet to stall out just in first, but stalling out in 3rd is a given, hell i even started in third highly reved, didnt like it but it didnt stall.

91_4x4runner
08-31-2007, 03:36 PM
The clutch probably didn't care for it too much either.....

neliconcept
08-31-2007, 03:44 PM
clutch let me know it hated my guts, trust me

slosurfer
08-31-2007, 06:13 PM
We need some video of you driving the manual :D

Good to see progress being made on your rig.

neliconcept
08-31-2007, 06:14 PM
stalled it out again in 3rd, i found the 1rst sticky area, it sticks trying to go into 1rst, but its relatively easy to get off from first even on a hill

AxleIke
08-31-2007, 06:58 PM
Oh man, Blake, this is funny. I'm sorry, but this is like my 15 year old self all over again :P

The "sticks" going into first is worn syncromesh. Mine is the same way.

This will make you appreciate your auto while wheeling.

Ric
08-31-2007, 07:07 PM
glad to see its starting to come together..

neliconcept
08-31-2007, 09:14 PM
Oh man, Blake, this is funny. I'm sorry, but this is like my 15 year old self all over again :P

The "sticks" going into first is worn syncromesh. Mine is the same way.

This will make you appreciate your auto while wheeling.

lol i know, but im getting the hang of it, doesnt feel like my friends s2000 where its just you can tap the shifter from 1rst 2nd and so on.

yeah Ric i cant wait, wens or thursday is the day hopefully

Ric
08-31-2007, 09:19 PM
yeah Ric i cant wait, wens or thursday is the day hopefully really ?? you will have 4wheel drive then ??? let me know, we can make a run to Carnage, wooohoooooo :clap:

neliconcept
08-31-2007, 09:23 PM
ehh 2wd lo but not quite 4wd, i have all that stuff here, actually everything is bolted up, al i have to do is unpress my slugs from my current spindles, get a diff in place and take the rotors off then bolt everything up and put the rotors on and boom its done, except for the front dshaft hehe

i plan on going to the salvage yard tomorrow to pick up front diff, just dont know what front dshaft length i need yet.

neliconcept
09-03-2007, 02:31 PM
more updates, im just glad im seeing crap installed

more pictures

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/P1010015.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/P1010018.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/P1010017.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/P1010016.jpg

Cheese
09-03-2007, 04:23 PM
I am going to guess by the lacking paint bubble around the holes on the slider side that those were just drilled and bolted?

Did you investigate the FROR crossmember?

I have meetings tomorrow, but I will try to catch up with you Thursday for a drink.

neliconcept
09-03-2007, 04:27 PM
he cut holes through my welded scab plates on the sliders, but i dont think it should hurt the integrity of the slider strenght. I have to head down tomorrow to look at the shifter area, he said something about the twins coming straight up, but i know that Jamies came up and still fit beside the shifter he has in the tacoma, basically the same as what im going to do.

yeah man give me a call thursday and ill meet up with ya.

neliconcept
09-03-2007, 05:30 PM
inchworm case installed now

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v112/42/67/85500505/n85500505_30351873_9600.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v112/42/67/85500505/n85500505_30351874_9884.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v112/42/67/85500505/n85500505_30351875_134.jpg

SAR_Squid79
09-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Lookin good, man!!

Looks very familiar!

I wish I could have mounted my crossmember that high. I tried, but every time the transmission would shift, the T-Case would hit the bottom of the cab. I had to lower mine a few inches. :(

neliconcept
09-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Jamie, did your twinsticks go straight up the center? thats what Yuri is telling me now and I dont think it did on yours, i have to head down tomorrow to take a look, but if you can show me a picture of your shifter assembly without the console piece on.

neliconcept
09-04-2007, 02:55 PM
ok over here at Irbis just watching, he torched my shifters to bend em left of the auto shifter. i have pictures coming soon. its almost done. then its time for front end, and ill be one badass 4wd vehicle.

neliconcept
09-04-2007, 06:19 PM
pictures of todays work, almost done, prob have it thursday at lastest inless something else goes on.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/IMG_7400.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/IMG_7411.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/IMG_7414.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/IMG_7416.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/IMG_7428.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/IMG_7435.jpg

Seanz0rz
09-04-2007, 06:23 PM
i dunno man, thats pretty secksy!!!

cant wait for this to get finished!!!

neliconcept
09-04-2007, 06:30 PM
im hoping thursday pretty much, i just wanna drive my baby.

SAR_Squid79
09-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Yeah, man - my twin sticks did go straight up through the middle, but on a Tacoma that's pretty much how it's supposed to be. The day I did my Twin Sticks, I was so busy working that I forgot to take any pics without the center console on. I didn't remember to take pics until I had gotten everything buttoned up. ...but I didn't really have to modify anything all that much. I had to bend one of the sticks - the right one - 4WD / 2WD one - I just had to make it perfectly straight to clear my Auto Trans shifter.

SAR_Squid79
09-04-2007, 07:33 PM
These are the only 2 pics I have of my shifters:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/692/1002850ul6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3198/1002851wv0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

neliconcept
09-04-2007, 07:35 PM
we bent mine over pretty much if you can see. it fits perfectly

i want the black leather shift cover he has in the parts runner out back,

YotaFun
09-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Been watching this build very closely.
I am impressed with the amount of work and time you put into your truck.

Can't wait to see the 4WD action out of it!

Cheese
09-04-2007, 10:59 PM
I was asking about welding sleeves into the holes so the frame doesn't crush or prematurely fatigue.

Did he shorten the legs on the sliders while he was in there?

That doesn't look like Oleg/Yuri's work welding the scab plate on.

neliconcept
09-05-2007, 06:36 AM
I was asking about welding sleeves into the holes so the frame doesn't crush or prematurely fatigue.

Did he shorten the legs on the sliders while he was in there?

That doesn't look like Oleg/Yuri's work welding the scab plate on.

scab plate is my brothers work. i might have em shorten the sliders. but that will be later, i just wanna drive it.

and yeah sleeves were slid into the holes.

neliconcept
09-05-2007, 03:08 PM
ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE ITS DONE

Seanz0rz
09-05-2007, 03:09 PM
YAY!!!!! im so excited for you!!!

now you just gotta get the front end done and you can wheel like a real man!

neliconcept
09-05-2007, 03:26 PM
front end wont take but 4 hours, all i have to do is bolt everything up, and press out the slugs from my old spindles from the camburgs into the new ones and boom its done!!! just still need a front diff and dshaft.

Ric
09-05-2007, 03:34 PM
awesome Blake, Glad its coming together. If your wanting to hit a trail soon, let me know :hillbill:

neliconcept
09-05-2007, 07:14 PM
sure thing, i will.

cant wait to get it back, in time for tailgating too, all i need now is a pa speaker to yell at the hot women (yes im a retard)

Ric
09-05-2007, 07:32 PM
all i need now is a pa speaker to yell at the hot women (yes im a retard)
that was GREAT :laugh: :rofl:

neliconcept
09-05-2007, 07:58 PM
its alll about them hunnies man!!!!

AxleIke
09-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Congratulations.

You will have lots of fun with this.

Happy Trails!

neliconcept
09-05-2007, 09:35 PM
oh yea i cant wait

neliconcept
09-07-2007, 06:43 AM
i have my truck back, ill take a picture of my final console area as soon as I can. ive been too busy driving it and having fun with low range on some rocks around here.

neliconcept
09-09-2007, 08:07 PM
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/8278/img7439rt4.jpg

getting an arb 4.56 non add diff.

where can i get some gears for good price, yukon/precision or whatever

and where installed around fort collins?

BruceTS
09-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Guess your not gonna have the $$$ to finish this project now that your getting married...... :tongueout:

neliconcept
09-09-2007, 08:55 PM
im gonna bail out of that one man!!!

Cheese
09-09-2007, 09:30 PM
The FROR twin stick should have a boot with two separate nipples, one sealing around each stick.

I am still worried the fabric is too tight.

There is no one here in town I would trust on gears. Let me make a few calls and see where I can get.

neliconcept
09-09-2007, 09:34 PM
The FROR twin stick should have a boot with two separate nipples, one sealing around each stick.

I am still worried the fabric is too tight.

There is no one here in town I would trust on gears. Let me make a few calls and see where I can get.

yeah it boosted out of hi again while backing up last night to drop some guys off downtown.

Thanks alot Adrian, i gotta check up on where to get gears, right now ive been looking at PORC for yukons. but these 4.56s should be quite nice :)

Rock Slide
09-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Blake, nice work on the conversion thus far.

As far as regearing, why not go w/ 4.88s. Do you feel that's too low for your setup?

neliconcept
09-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Blake, nice work on the conversion thus far.

As far as regearing, why not go w/ 4.88s. Do you feel that's too low for your setup?

the arb 4.56 front diff is like 700 bucks, thats a deal for a geared air locked non add.

be kinda pointless to do 4.88s. i may do 4.88s in a year, but right now its all about that front diff and getting gears for the rear and installed.

Cheese
09-10-2007, 09:02 PM
No, it would be MORE pointless to get 4.56's now and regear again in a year.

If that is a complete non-ADD diff, buy it and forget it.

Still waiting on messages about gears.

BruceTS
09-10-2007, 09:14 PM
just stick with 4.56, you won't even notice the difference if you went to 4.88, except you'd get better mileage with 4.56..........

xcmountain80
09-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Well one day when my 4.56's go in I'll let you know what I think so far all my other parts have arrived just waiting on the gears and the Rear LSD. Hopefully brown can deliver tomorrow being the 7th business day since the order and the install will begin on Wed.

Aaron

neliconcept
09-10-2007, 10:05 PM
No, it would be MORE pointless to get 4.56's now and regear again in a year.

If that is a complete non-ADD diff, buy it and forget it.

Still waiting on messages about gears.

35s are being thrown up in the air, but ill be more poor later anyways so 33s for now on inless i really need 35s

yeah I can see your point about it would be pointless not to go with 4.88s if i decided to do it later

freakin diff with 4.56s and arb is a deal, so thats me route.

neliconcept
09-11-2007, 10:18 AM
oh and Adrian, id really like to say thanks for checking up on gear installs for me. really do appreciate it,

neliconcept
09-12-2007, 06:52 AM
took it offroading at carnage yesterday, made it all the way through until that last freakin two rock excrusion where I had my truck sitting on the sliders.

will get pics up later

neliconcept
09-14-2007, 07:25 AM
I finally have payed for the arb front diff and 4.56s

paypal is finally back up for me :) now i just gotta get the rear gears and installed. Ima order em tonight.

and ill have to get an arb compressor of course, which im very uneducated about? anything i should know before I look at compressors?

Cheese
09-14-2007, 08:03 AM
Get the compact compressor.

neliconcept
09-14-2007, 09:07 AM
sweet, just wanted to get that cleared up

neliconcept
09-21-2007, 08:58 PM
diff is in, though i hand tightened the back hex bolt which is a m12 allen screw head. had to take 3 of us to get it in, trickey but was done.

i still dont know how to get the balljoints out of my non add spindles so ill wait on that, i can now get a 28" dshaft to extend to 29" which is the 98 driveshaft in Foco's salvage yard.

then rear gears and im done.

neliconcept
09-24-2007, 07:32 AM
ok guys kinda need an opinion on this, im not sure how ill be able to afford it, but im just thinking about going ahead and getting the trd e locked diff from inchworm wtih 4.56s at 925 and getting the wiring kit from him as well. then I can go ahead and sell my diff and I wont have to worry about getting mine regeared as this one will be geared already.

now I dont know what is involved to make this work in my diff housing except cutting a hole for the actuator?

anyways let me know guys, i plan to make my decision tomorrow.

Cheese
09-24-2007, 07:38 AM
Don't you have a rear ARB already?

I would consider getting a complete geared third and selling your current one, but modifying that housing takes some time, preferably a different housing sitting on a bench outside the truck.

AxleIke
09-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Usually this is done with a welder. You build up enough flange for the new housing to seal properly.

Regear is going to be cheaper.

neliconcept
09-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Don't you have a rear ARB already?

I would consider getting a complete geared third and selling your current one, but modifying that housing takes some time, preferably a different housing sitting on a bench outside the truck.

i have an auto locker in the rear at the moment. yeah i wasnt sure what Id need to do with the rear end as far as fitting the motor in the housing

Cheese
09-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Which auto locker? What ratio?

I would get an ARB rear before I got an e-locked rear for bolt and go capability.

At best you are going to be able to defer 350-500 with the auto locked rear.

AxleIke
09-24-2007, 09:50 PM
x2.

You have to get the compressor anyway for the front. Almost the same to do the ARB or elocker cost wise, if you are shipping from the west coast.

3 hours on a weekend driving to driving vs truck indefinitely on jack stands until fab is completed.

neliconcept
09-24-2007, 10:08 PM
ill check into a fully built arb rear with 4.56s as well

yeah i gotta get the compressor for the front.

I have the lockrite with 4.10s basically.

Bighead
09-25-2007, 05:07 AM
ill check into a fully built arb rear with 4.56s as well

yeah i gotta get the compressor for the front.

I have the lockrite with 4.10s basically.

Cheese and Isaac are right. I looked at the same options you are (e-locker vs ARBs) and figured the price difference was a wash when you figure the ass-pain involved with modifying the housing. BTW, I had my diffs built by Inchworm years ago (ARB/4.88) and have had no problems with them. Jim and his guys do good work.

neliconcept
09-25-2007, 06:38 AM
yeah I really dont wanna have to do any modifying if i dont need to, and i have no skills at all either lol

neliconcept
09-25-2007, 10:43 AM
alrighty, i ordered arb rear with 4.56s and solid sleeve and 27 spline shaft (excuse me flange lol) already built and shipped once my lens sells. its gonna be 100 cheaper with the diff and compact compressor then the diff is listed on his site due to me sending my diff to him for a core refund.

so it all works out. swap in and out and get front end connected and ready to crawl.

thanks for all the help guys, once everything is in, i hope to get a lot of pictures up.

also I have started writing my article for the 4wdto mag. I have credited those who have helped me, Steve S, Adrian, Issac, and the gang at Irbis, budbuilt and inchworm, as you guys have really made this happen.

Bighead
09-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Who is building the diff...Inchworm?

YotaFun
09-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Who is building the diff...Inchworm?

x2,
I was curious myself since I would like to do arb myself and have no knowledge whatsoever of gearing (yet...)

neliconcept
09-25-2007, 08:22 PM
yeah Jim @ inchworm is doing it. im sending my diff in so he can keep it, takes the price down like 2 to 300 dollars, not totally sure.

neliconcept
09-27-2007, 12:18 PM
will get pictures up when I start putting the front end together saturday hopefully, buying the front dshaft tomorrow, and hopefully my rear end will ship as well.

going full size compressor for ability to air up as well, im sure it wont air up fast what so ever, but in case we run out of CO2 or something then it would be a good idea.

next on the list is either dual batteries or a nice yellow top deep cycle.

Cheese
09-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Bad plan.

ARB compressors get killed by airing up tires. Going with the bigger compressor will not gain you any ability to air tires, it will take up more space, that is it.

neliconcept
09-27-2007, 01:10 PM
really only for emergency use, not gonna use to air up everytime.

AxleIke
09-27-2007, 03:36 PM
get an odyssey. Mo Betta.

YotaFun
09-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Bad plan.

ARB compressors get killed by airing up tires. Going with the bigger compressor will not gain you any ability to air tires, it will take up more space, that is it.

Is it really?
There is a guy here in PA that uses it on his pickup.
He aired a few guys up including him self and his 35s....

Maybe i should ask him if it is really and ARB compressor he has.

AxleIke
09-27-2007, 07:50 PM
It isn't good. Seen 2 compressors get burned this way.

ARB makes a new one that is up for tire duty.

Here you go: http://www.arb.com.au/arb-air-compressors.php

YotaFun
09-27-2007, 08:10 PM
It isn't good. Seen 2 compressors get burned this way.

ARB makes a new one that is up for tire duty.

Here you go: http://www.arb.com.au/arb-air-compressors.php

Sorry to go off topic, but if i am reading correctly that pump you just linked me too can be used for both the lockers and tires?

EDIT: I read a little harder into the light gray.
That compressor is set up to do both lockers and tires.

neliconcept
09-27-2007, 08:43 PM
well i can still get a compact if need be, it wont be shipped out till tomorrow so its not a big deal at the moment, ill sleep on the idea when i pay in full tomorrow.

Cheese
09-28-2007, 12:04 AM
I have never been in a situation where running the ARB compressor to fill my tires would have made the difference between driving home safely and not driving home.

I would rather have a back up CO2 bottle.

I plan to get a small back up bottle as well as plumb some sort of back up into the ARB system so if I crap a compressor I still have lockers.

Get the little compressor to run the lockers. Then get another CO2 tank or a good scale so you are always full before you leave.

neliconcept
09-28-2007, 06:59 AM
im gonna change back to compact, its 90 bucks for something that I guess wont work to well for that

thanks for the input. finishing it up today later on.

neliconcept
09-28-2007, 03:50 PM
alright its ordered, i asked him about the full size, its the new one that will be able to handle inflation. If i think it will not be up for task, ill trade it for a compact and get a CO2 system.

BruceTS
09-28-2007, 07:26 PM
I have the compact ARB and have used it to fill my tires, but now I carry the MF-1050 compressor to fill my tires......

neliconcept
09-28-2007, 09:20 PM
well, ill be installing front end tomorrow hopefully. ill be sure to get pics of that process, but i wont have much detail going into it since really everything is attached, all i have to do is take the balljoints off the man hub spindles, put my slugs in them and pull my spindles off.

then i need to get a front dshaft from the junkyard here, and my rear end should be here not monday but next monday. then thats swap and swap and im done.

neliconcept
09-30-2007, 09:02 PM
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/IMG_7751.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/IMG_7749.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/IMG_7747.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/IMG_7746.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/neliconcept/IMG_7731.jpg
http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/3972/img7763ch7.jpg

neliconcept
10-01-2007, 10:26 AM
bump for the correct pictures of the front end

blacksheep
10-01-2007, 10:37 AM
http://www.ttora.com/forum/member.php?u=668

His was a prerunner and he switch tranny and added tcase. If you have any questions, give him a shout.

neliconcept
10-01-2007, 12:41 PM
http://www.ttora.com/forum/member.php?u=668

His was a prerunner and he switch tranny and added tcase. If you have any questions, give him a shout.

thanks man but im already done almost, just gotta bolt up front dshaft and get new rear diff with gears and arb in

neliconcept
10-08-2007, 11:50 AM
rear end comes in tomorrow with arb and 4.56s then my 4wd conversion will officially be done folks!!!

AxleIke
10-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Good. Then we can finally get you out on some real trails.

neliconcept
10-08-2007, 02:27 PM
Good. Then we can finally get you out on some real trails.

sounds like a plan man!!!

neliconcept
10-11-2007, 07:31 PM
truck can now officially shift into 4wd, big thanks for the help from AxleIke (Issac) with out him it would have been a 2 day job mostly. the sides of the diff would not fit in the housing, so we bought a bat powered dremel to grind just a little on the edges, fits in, everything is together, wil fill the diff at 10, and take a drive tonight or tomorrow morning most likely.

04 Rocko Taco
10-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Good deal, its great to have people like Issac willing to help out! Awesome work guys, looking forward to some pics Blake!!

YotaFun
10-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Congrats dude, and welcome to the full 4wd world!
Can't wait to see wheelin pics of it

neliconcept
10-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Congrats dude, and welcome to the full 4wd world!
Can't wait to see wheelin pics of it

gotta get new bolts for the front dshaft, but i wont wheel it for a bit until i get this thing broken in.

Issac told me to ask most everybody what they do to break in gears
he told me 2 trips round town each with a lonnnnng cooldown period of the gears, no goosin of course lol. then refill 500 miles later and keep it down on the skinny.

anybody got any ideas on how to clean a oil pan real well so i can store it in my dorm for the time being? id like to keep it so i can use it for the next fill

then im gonna fill my front up real soon. get the compressor mounted in the engine bay (found a good spot) and run airlines.

YotaFun
10-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Simply Green Spray over the entire thing and then hose it off, should be great then.

AxleIke
10-11-2007, 08:41 PM
No worries Blake.

Yeah, that was bizarre. Put in 2 ARBs and a trutrac, and NEVER had that problem before. The carrier adjuster nuts were out just a hair too far, and contacted the sides of the housing. Luckily the Home Depot had the batt powered dremel. Friggin weird, and REALLY frustrating.

remember to either get that hole plugged or get the air line on before water or too much dirt driving.

neliconcept
10-11-2007, 10:09 PM
No worries Blake.

Yeah, that was bizarre. Put in 2 ARBs and a trutrac, and NEVER had that problem before. The carrier adjuster nuts were out just a hair too far, and contacted the sides of the housing. Luckily the Home Depot had the batt powered dremel. Friggin weird, and REALLY frustrating.

remember to either get that hole plugged or get the air line on before water or too much dirt driving.

sounds like a plan

just got back from the first little drive, i drove it supppppper slow, but the thing actually pulls more then i thought it would, i cant wait till i can give it 100%

i reallly gotta clean this truck out now, too much crap piled in lol.

gonna get up super early for another drive, and then a final one tomorrow afternoon and just keep it easy somewhat till 500 mile fluid change.

thanks for all the advice everyone, i hope to get some pics up of trail running real soon when i feel comfortable doing it.

Bighead
10-12-2007, 04:40 AM
the sides of the diff would not fit in the housing, so we bought a bat powered dremel to grind just a little on the edges, fits in, everything is together, wil fill the diff at 10, and take a drive tonight or tomorrow morning most likely.

I had forgotten about it but we had to do the same clearance job when installing my rear ARB'd diff also. I meant to call or e-mail Jim C. and ask him about it but never got around to it. It's been running great for years now.

neliconcept
10-12-2007, 07:07 AM
the sides of the diff would not fit in the housing, so we bought a bat powered dremel to grind just a little on the edges, fits in, everything is together, wil fill the diff at 10, and take a drive tonight or tomorrow morning most likely.

I had forgotten about it but we had to do the same clearance job when installing my rear ARB'd diff also. I meant to call or e-mail Jim C. and ask him about it but never got around to it. It's been running great for years now.

yeah, i may call him soon, gotta get the address to his place to send in my old diff for the core charge back.

I drove it last night, let it cool overnight and drove it this morning, omg it pulls and i love it. i didnt pass 2300 rpms to make sure i was not doing any harm.

Rock Slide
10-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Blake, glad everything worked out as planned.

Granted, if it were me, I'd have just sold the 2wd and bought a 4wd, but it's cool to see someone take on a 4wd conversion on a newer 3rd gen and successfully convert it over. Again, nice work.

Oh and since you got the 4.56s installed, once you get them broke in, let me know how you like them in combination w/ 33s. (I've heard others give their reviews, but I still like to hear from guys that have just regeared as you have.)

neliconcept
10-13-2007, 06:19 PM
i look at it this way, for me to trade in, then get the inchworm 5:1 or get a dual setup, get lockers in the diffs, it would be the same, then i would have a higher mileage and older truck.

Rock Slide
10-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Oh I understand...what doesn't work for some, works great for others.

So where did you end up mounting your switches for the lockers? Left of the steering wheel or some where else?

neliconcept
10-14-2007, 01:42 AM
Oh I understand...what doesn't work for some, works great for others.

So where did you end up mounting your switches for the lockers? Left of the steering wheel or some where else?

yeah they are left of wheel, rear locker switch will be in the same hole as the elocker usually is.

neliconcept
10-14-2007, 08:54 PM
first time in 4wd, and i must say I freakin love it even without lockers!

http://photos-505.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v106/42/67/85500505/n85500505_30379670_2779.jpg
http://photos-505.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v106/42/67/85500505/n85500505_30379671_3039.jpg
http://photos-505.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v106/42/67/85500505/n85500505_30379669_9571.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd139/Rix4rnr/2007%20Wheeling/Yankee%20Hill%2010-14-07/IMG_0698.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/glenyoshida/071014%20Yahkee%20Hill%20First%20Snow/CRW_5478.jpg/img]
[img]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/glenyoshida/071014%20Yahkee%20Hill%20First%20Snow/CRW_5499.jpg

Mossyrocks
10-15-2007, 12:52 AM
damn you and your snow. really though, great job man.

neliconcept
10-15-2007, 10:58 AM
when im able to get the lockers hooked up ill post some more extreme rock crawlin pics

Rock Slide
10-18-2007, 07:54 AM
You piss me off :chair:! Where in the hell did you find that much snow to play in!! I wanna play in the snow too... :(

It's still 78 degs where I live.

04 Rocko Taco
10-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Bill....... I say its time for a road trip to CO....let's go!! hahaha

Rock Slide
10-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Chris, I'm game! :D

It sucks that it's in the mid 70s here and we are in the middle of October. Totally not fair that Blake gets to play in that much snow in CO when it's not even cold here yet.

04 Rocko Taco
10-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Tell me about it. Its raining here, but is supposed to stop and bring in some dry cooler air by the weekend....

neliconcept
10-18-2007, 09:48 AM
wait till tonight, going back out with my girl Liz, gonna hit up another trail with even more snow.

Cheese
10-18-2007, 10:46 AM
I would not be doing presumably high rev open diff wheeling with a fresh rear end.

I would take pictures of coeds in the snow though, so take that for what it's worth.

I would also be dang sure the ARB ports are sealed up. I have a condom on my front one that I check daily. That is a place you don't want crap.

neliconcept
10-18-2007, 11:15 AM
condom works?

niceeee, i just taped mine up but shit ill condom my diffs then.

slosurfer
10-18-2007, 12:17 PM
I have a condom on my front one that I check daily. That is a place you don't want crap.

:lol: :spit:

neliconcept
10-18-2007, 09:09 PM
I have a condom on my front one that I check daily. That is a place you don't want crap.

:lol: :spit:

yeah i even got some free condoms from our healthcenter, and condomed both my front and rear today to make sure,

except the fact that i almost destroyed my transfercase today

basically my dshaft lost bolts and was hanging, then got binded up and binded the case. wouldnt move in drive or nuetral in either 2wd or 4wd.

called Ric, he talked to Anthony, then i was like FUCK.

decided to put in into reverse, that worked and unbinded the case, then put it in 2wd lo, drove it a little, got the front dshaft out and drove on back to civilization, gotta get new bolts as these bolts werent the right lenght nor head size.

lesson learned on my dumbass self

neliconcept
01-20-2008, 10:08 PM
update:

usage of 5:1 single low. I love it on the rocks and anything else that has steep uphills, regardless of it being a fast trail or not, ill just stick it in hi range...

downsides? snow!!!!!!!!!, we did some snow bashing, i backed up like 200 feet, maxed speed 100 feet, and that was it, but i got further then anybody else in the group (by 10 inchs)

I will be installing inchworms reduction box and dual case adapters later on, will move the crossmember back some, fill in the bolt holes and then make new ones and have em sleeved.

ill also build tube crossmember for the front box just to add extra strenght.

Thats all to add for now

Ric
01-21-2008, 07:33 AM
oh come on, we didnt know it was a competition, the open Jeep beat ya, lol, couldnt let that Jeep beat ya could ya :D but as you get more now wheeling under your belt, you will get better, either way, it was a blast :thumbup:

neliconcept
01-21-2008, 10:05 AM
oh come on, we didnt know it was a competition, the open Jeep beat ya, lol, couldnt let that Jeep beat ya could ya :D but as you get more now wheeling under your belt, you will get better, either way, it was a blast :thumbup:

haha not about that, just realized that 5:1 really doesnt work well in the snow. but he did beat my first run, i just had to see if i could beat it again :)

i just need a 2.28 case for this stuff. then i can go faster :)
it was a great run, and hes a great wheeler for an open open rig.

but like you said, i really dont have much snow experience, if i did beat he jeep, i barely beat him and i have lockers. which really isnt much to say since he doesnt :) so in reality i lost lol

AxleIke
01-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Actually, you should be able to go WAY further in low than anyone else. You just need less pressure in your tires. Try 4 or 6 psi. Your rims should be narrow enough for your tires that the beads stay on the rims. Super low tire pressure and super low gears coupled with both lockers equals go very far in deep snow.

neliconcept
01-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Actually, you should be able to go WAY further in low than anyone else. You just need less pressure in your tires. Try 4 or 6 psi. Your rims should be narrow enough for your tires that the beads stay on the rims. Super low tire pressure and super low gears coupled with both lockers equals go very far in deep snow.

roger that!! i was running about 20 psi, not sure if their will be a next time, need to put 100% effort into school this semester.

neliconcept
11-22-2008, 07:23 PM
well i did say that this would be in the toyota owner magaizine like a year ago, well i called about a month ago and the reason the article hasnt been put in is because about 10 of my images, 5 and 4 actually were either not well exposed (too dark) or had some focusing issues, i didnt use flash so i had to shoot at f2.8 which creates verrrrry narrow depth of field.

im going to be reshooting these either tomorrow or monday, and send the photos in hoping to get in the next issue (well after jan feb issue or maybe may/june)

inchworm case is running fine.

my uniballs are effed up beyond repair though.

most everyone can tell that im so ADD with my truck its not even funny, im thinking about SASing again.. or actually hoping to do it this time, im calling ORS to get some parts monday i think, im going to use their link kit but im gonna see if im able to piece it together slowely so im not out a lot of dough all at once.

axle is still undecided but id rather do it right the first time then screw it up. biggest tire that im contemplating is a 37" but im gonna stick with 35 for the moment so i dont break the rear which will stay 8".

thats it

Whitey
11-22-2008, 10:36 PM
I wish I had your problems...