PDA

View Full Version : Job hunting: Need tips!

SLC Punk
05-11-2007, 12:56 PM
I just graduated with my MS in Economics. I really want to move out of state since Utah's cost of living is rising and their salaries are not. I want to re-locate to CA, NV, AZ, OR, or WA but I have found it difficult to get employers to look at my resume when applying online. It seems like they would prefer to hire in-state instead of relocating people. Any advice as to how I can get employers to seriously look at an out-of-state's applicant's resume?

96 Runner
05-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Travis-

My wife works for Charles Schwab. Interested? Shoot me an email.

SLC Punk
05-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Christian,
Yes, I am extremely interested. I will email you! :thumbup:

reggie 00
05-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Do you have your resume posted on like Monster and Career builder? Or anything like it.

When i got out of the Navy....7yrs ago i had mine posted on those two. I was getting a decent amount of calls. What i found is a lot of companies don't handle this stuff, they hire people to sift thru all this stuff for them.

The company i ended up working for (Lutron) flew me back east for 2 days for an interview. They are out there just be patient and persistent in getting your name out there with your resume.

jrallan26
05-12-2007, 01:34 AM
Have you considered contacting a headhunter?

Bob98SR5
05-12-2007, 02:18 AM
jonno's spot on, travis. let a few of them work for you. they know the local market and they get paid to place you.

to me, database resume searchers are the bane of any job seeker. its all a friggin game: throw in the key words, you get looked at (there's a strategy for you).

anyways, if you are interested in so cal edison jobs, let me know. ill be full time there soon. plus, they love me :)

bob

jrallan26
05-12-2007, 05:07 AM
bob,

My dad worked at SCE for 30 years. He retired a while ago, great place to work at.

Off topic, What are you going there?

Bob98SR5
05-12-2007, 12:21 PM
jonno,

no kidding! what's your dad's name and where did he work in all those 30 yrs? im amazed when i ask around and people say that they've been there 20, 25, 30 years. its unheard of in corp america these days.

I work in TDBU (Transmission) on a project related to their new ERP initiative. we are in the process of selecting (and then later) implementing a software tool for planners.

bob

jrallan26
05-12-2007, 02:54 PM
bob allan, He primarily worked at power plants all over southern california. I think he worked there for almost 40 years.