PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding 84 4runner 22r motor: need to get some power out of her

NGA CRAWLER
05-12-2007, 08:05 PM
What are the best ways to get power out of the 22r? I am rebuiling from top to bottom and want it Ato have a little more power. SUGGESTIONS? THANKS

reggie 00
05-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Cam and a 20r head?

Seen that set up before.

There was a kid on the other board Kyle, that knew this stuff inside and out.

blknblu
05-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Poke around this site for a while and then go as crazy as you want.
http://toyotaperformance.com/components.htm

blake85
01-08-2008, 09:29 PM
i just redid my 22r and had my head resurfaced 20,000ths and put a lcengineering header straight to a chamber flowmaster ending about where i sit and the thing is awesome. i love it, i'm adding a weber 38 outlaw friday, can't wait to see what the thing will do after that.

yotaman91
01-16-2008, 03:57 AM
and more gears.

Tankota
01-18-2008, 10:25 PM
I rebuilt my 22r last year and wanted to get a little more bang out of it. I used a engnbldr 261C torquer cam, modified intake system, Doug Thorley headder and 2.5" exhaust. It now pulls awesome especially in the low to mid range.

What I did for the intake was to remove the stock air cleaner pan stud and install one about 5" inches long. Then using a 4" tall air filter you just install the pan lid ontop of it. This really makes a differance believe it or not. Whenever I have to return it to stock for smog check, I can realy feel its more sluggish.

As sombody already mentioned, a webber carb will instantly wake up the demon trapped in your 22r.

bigarms23
01-19-2008, 08:13 PM
how about adding the efi componants

4runnerchevy
01-20-2008, 07:44 AM
I doubt your ever gonna get the power your looking for out of the 22R :shake:. The more power you get out, you lose the famous reliability. Heck, contact LC and build a stroker/supercharged and spin those tires.

all_terrain17
01-20-2008, 07:52 AM
more gears.

Yep.

corax
02-25-2008, 11:41 AM
not really a power adder, but since you have an '84 block you can put a double row timing chain in no problem. Use the oil pump drive spline, camshaft sprocket, crankshaft sprocket, timing chain & guides from a 20R. Everything will fit & you can reuse the original timing chain cover. In '85 there were some changes made to the engine ('85 & up had a turbo oil return boss, not drilled, just above oil pan on the driver side toward the front, behind the coolant pipe) & the timing chain cover wouldn't fit with a double row chain behind it - LC engineering makes a double row timing chain kit that will fit '85 up though.

Duffil
02-25-2008, 11:18 PM
A cam and a header will get about as much as you can get reliably out of it. If you wheel it, stick with the Aisin carb, as it will handle angles better than the Weber. I've built a couple, and I DD. Right now I have a LC cam, 1022024 and a DT header with some internal mods and it rips. The LC cam has the best power curve I could find thru my research and use of desktop dyno, as well as my seatofthepants testing.

corax
02-26-2008, 10:07 PM
The easiest place to get any power is in the cylinder head. Yeah, boring the cylinders oversized may add a little bit, but volumetric efficiency & better breathing is where it's really at. A simple port & polish is a good start. I've had good success with my dremel or a die grinder & even just smoothing the transition from intake port to valve seat will help. A good book that I especially like is "How to Build, Modify & Power Tune Cylinder Heads" and can be found at any Borders or Barnes & Noble, though you can also find some decent info online (just take online stuff with a grain of salt & remember that porting to the biggest posible size will not yield the best results)