PDA

View Full Version : Climate Control Lights

p nut
05-13-2007, 09:28 AM
I just took out one of the light bulbs for the climate control, because it had burnt out. The Sylvania guide said either bulb size 74 or 158, but neither were it (they were way too big). I'm guessing this is a dealer-only part? If I can find the size, I'll post it up. Also, I tried to get the bulb out of the little plastic bottom clip, but to no avail. I think they're glued in.

And this may seem a bit ricey, but I'd like to change them out for amber or red lights (like the 4th Gen 4Runners). I'm thinking all I need to do is get some of those "condoms" for the bulbs. Anyone know where I can pick these up? And do you guys know what the bulb sizes are for the guage cluster? Is it one of those 74, 158 sizes?

Thanks.

DNAhilux
05-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Is it one of these types? It is a single unit. you cannot just take the bulb out from the base and swap bulbs. also do you have digital or mechanical climate control?
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e266/4RunnerDNA/CIMG0913.jpg

DNAhilux
05-13-2007, 01:56 PM
what colour is the base?

p nut
05-13-2007, 03:21 PM
I have a manual climate control. The base is a yellow color. I'll try to get a pic.

p nut
05-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Here it is:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/shinpaul/IMG_1127.jpg

DNAhilux
05-13-2007, 10:19 PM
oooo yellow, i havent seen that colour in mine (digital) i suggest going to the stealership with it..itll be like 3 bucks. You can also try places like toyota part sales and such.

DNAhilux
05-13-2007, 10:33 PM
actually that looks alot like the light for the ect/rear defog that i replaced..not sure how big that one is though..

DSN46
05-14-2007, 07:20 AM
I had to replace the lights behind my digital climate control. While I had it all apart, I went ahead and replaced every bulb behind my dashboard and console....
Well, I had to get almost all of those little bulbs from the dealer (and MAN that was a PITA! The parts guy had all kinds of exploded views of the interior of my Runner..but it took three times of ordering bulbs to get the right ones)

I do not look forward to doing it again... I kept the paperwork so I at least know the right bulb numbers from Toyota. Oh yeah, it was an expensive venture also :chair:

Good luck!

James

p nut
05-14-2007, 08:34 AM
I just ordered it from the dealership. $6 :shake:

Do you guys know what size bulbs are in the guage cluster?

DNAhilux
05-17-2007, 10:23 PM
The parts guy had all kinds of exploded views of the interior of my Runner..but it took three times of ordering bulbs to get the right ones)

haha, same thing with my experience. the climate control ones werent so bad since there is a writeup with the bulb part numbers floating around, but for my ect/defog button it took at least 3 tries. I too kept the part number for the next time, god forbid

surf4runner
05-23-2007, 03:53 PM
so is there a generic bulb#? or is it dealer only?

p nut
05-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Dealer only. The bulb is integrated into the plastic base, so there is no way to take the bulb out and replace the bulb only. None of my local auto parts stores had the smaller sized bulb anyway.

DSN46
05-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Dealer only. The bulb is integrated into the plastic base, so there is no way to take the bulb out and replace the bulb only. None of my local auto parts stores had the smaller sized bulb anyway.

Absolutely correct!!
I tried like hell to disassemble the little buggers so I could solder a new bulb that I found at a parts store in the plastic base.... big NO GO on that one.
Toyota has us by the balls on these little dash lights to say the least!

Good luck.

James

p nut
05-25-2007, 10:53 AM
DSN - Did you break the bulb to see how it was molded in? I don't know if I have a burnt out one lying around, but I really want to see how it's held in there.

Or, I was thinking of ordering one bulb from the 4th Gen 4Runners to see if the parts are compatible. (amber bulbs in 4th gens).

DSN46
05-28-2007, 12:46 AM
p nut,

I found that the two tiny wire leads on the bottom of the bulb were actually molded into the plastic base (seems like more trouble than the other way, but Im sure Toyota has some reason) so the only way to seperate the two was to pull the wires out of the bottom of the bulb which left the wires in the base. No way to solder a new bulb into that.

Take care,

James

04 Rocko Taco
06-04-2007, 06:44 AM
Anyone have a link to the write up with part #'s? And are they the same for Tacoma's? Mechanical climate controls in my 04 Dcab... couple bulbs are out on the A/C Controls...who wants to help?

p nut
06-04-2007, 09:09 AM
I didn't keep the receipt, but the best thing to do would be just to call your Toyota parts dept. I don't know how different the Tacoma's dash layout is, but all I needed was a screwdriver to take everything apart.