PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Toyota 4Runner Clicking Noise

billy22g
05-17-2007, 12:03 AM
I have a clicking noise in the driveshaft upon acceleration. It's a low-speed issue only and started out pretty subtle, but is noticeable now. I took it to the local Firestone and they recommended replacing the U-Joints and the Coupler. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? If so, is this what I should be doing or should I be looking elsewhere? Thanks.

20005spd
05-17-2007, 04:04 AM
i wouldnt trust firestone. ive seen many people get screwed over by places like that, then end up at the dealership anyway. you should just get under the truck and check your u joints for play. grab the drive shaft and move it up and down near the u joint and watch for play. also check for lots of rust where the u joints "cups" are. where the needle bearings are. rust there is usualy a sign that the u joints are or will be failing soon. and if they are bad i would get toyota u joints , but thats just me.

mkgarrison5
05-17-2007, 05:46 AM
have you greased the driveshaft and the rest of the 10 fittings (rough number)

MTL_4runner
05-17-2007, 06:40 AM
Your U-joints may be going south but I would try greasing them first as MK suggested. While you're under there, try and see how much play there is in the driveshaft joints. If you can move them by hand and visibly see them move, they need to be replaced. Do the driveshaft writeup first and then see where that gets you.

Here's the writeup:
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=357.0

hillbilly
05-17-2007, 07:19 AM
Completely of the wall, but possibly related comment here. Thought I'd pass it along on the off-hand chance that it might apply (and for the comical value).

Years ago, a former co-worker was complaining that he began noticing a clicking noise when accelerating. We asked him to check all the usual/logical items, drive shafts, U-joints, etc. All to no avail, yet the problem seemed to be getting progressively worse. After multiple failed suggestions, we suggested he take it to his favorite local shop.

Long story short, it turns out his lug nuts on the passenger rear weren't properly torqued after some tire work. Matt discovered this a month or so later when his wheel fell off in the middle of traffic. The lug holes had become so elongated from the lug bolts snapping forward under acceleration, that they sheared center of the wheel off. Matt wasn't the brightest crayon in the box.... :)

billy22g
05-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. Bottom line is I don't know a damn thing when it comes to mechanical auto stuff. It's frustrating because I like to know about everything I own, especially when I'm pouring a ridiculous amount of money into it. However, I don't really have the time or the inclination to learn about all this, and in the midst of moving around all the time, I have yet to find a reliable auto mechanic who I can trust to not screw me over. The truck is getting looked at by AAMCO today, and I may take it to the dealer as well. If they all concur, likely I will replace the U-Joints and Coupler at the least expensive place, given that I'm a broke college kid. If you have any additional recommendations given that I wouldn't know the first thing about greasing or lubing the parts, and checking for play in the joints, I'd much appreciate it. Thanks.

DNAhilux
05-18-2007, 06:44 AM
Well, noises from under the vehicle get bounced around alot so it is good to check past the driveline. get someone to either drive or stand outside your vehicle and then drive slowly and the other person listen for it.. i had a chirp that sounded like it was coming from the engine on the passenger side..turned out it was the rear u-joint.haha, sooo...if you go in to a shop and say i think its driveline,,,where do you think they will focus. how are your brakes/rotors? check in and around your wheels. jack up one wheel at a time and spin it and see if any noises are produced

YotaJunky
05-18-2007, 05:44 PM
I would check around under the vehicle, and don't rule out the engine. What I thought were bad u-joints (which I replaced), was actually pinging from the engine. It sounded like it was coming from under the vehicle, but infact, was pinging noise from the engine which echoed within the exhaust pipe.